Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
15 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
21 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2012
New Orleans, LA
Default The LG 2016 4K OLED E6 Owners Thread

I've noticed that other forums such as the avs forums have an official E Series owners thread and we don't. Now that I am officially an E6 owner, I thought I'd start one up. See who else here has one and discuss all things E6.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-30-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

Just got mine on Saturday. Absolutely love it! Thanks for starting the thread.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2015

Is there a headset you can get that connects to this TV?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Jun 2007

It’s been suggested by a fellow OLED owner that I should set Dolby Vision to Bright, but according to Steve Withers, he suggests Dark mode. Can other owners suggest what they have set Dolby Vision as please?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

Oct 2017

I have a 2016 LG E6 65” Oled. This recent HDTVTest YouTube from Vincent Teoh discussing UHD Bluray HDR10 tone mapping on the 2017 LG E7 I found interesting.

Link
Youtube “LG E7 OLED TV Review vs B7”. I can’t post links.

Time stamp 3:20 mins for the discussion of HDR10 tone mapping and clipping on scene from Mad Max Fury Road UHD Bluray.

I’ve just tested the Mad Max clip on my 2016 LG E6 65” for comparison. Firmware 05.30.15, latest in my region at this date, 1st December ‘17. I have changed the settings of HDR Bright, HDR Standard and HDR Game so that they look identical for colour, brightness, etc. All I am trying to do is compare the HDR Tone Mapping. With HDR Bright and HDR Standard being the same I add Dynamic Contrast Low to HDR Bright. I now have 3 different versions of this scene. HDR Bright with DC Low, HDR Standard and HDR Game. HDR Bright with DC Low blows out the highlights, the most. HDR Standard also blows out the highlights, HDR Game is the most accurate. Even with Dynamic Contrast set to Medium, the HDR Game setting shows more of the highlights than HDR Standard with no DC. HDR Game with either DC Low or DC Medium are closest to the preferred setting on the 2017 LG E7 in this video. The 2016 sets do not have the Active HDR triggered by setting DC to Low. My recommendation would be to use HDR Game setting with DC on Low or Medium for watching all content on the 2016 LG OLEDs, it has the best implementation of the HDR Tone Mapping with the current firmware.

Vincent also has a very good YouTube video on HDR10 comparing the different choices Sony, LG and Panasonic make to map HDR10 content. He actually has all 3 OLEDs at once to show the differences.

Link
Youtube HDTVTest “HDR Tone-Mapping Explained: Sony A1, LG C7 vs Panasonic OLED TV”
Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
Itís been suggested by a fellow OLED owner that I should set Dolby Vision to Bright, but according to Steve Withers, he suggests Dark mode. Can other owners suggest what they have set Dolby Vision as please?
Dolby Vision Bright is for day time viewing in a bright room.

Dolby Vision Dark is for night time, with low lights, or a dark room. Of course your room can still be bright at night or dark during in the day.

With Standard Dynamic Range content like 1080p Blurays, the 2 settings ISF Expert (Bright Room) and ISF Expert (Dark Room) have the same objective.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laslett View Post
Dolby Vision Bright is for day time viewing in a bright room.

Dolby Vision Dark is for night time, with low lights, or a dark room. Of course your room can still be bright at night or dark during in the day.

With Standard Dynamic Range content like 1080p Blurays, the 2 settings ISF Expert (Bright Room) and ISF Expert (Dark Room) have the same objective.
Thanks for responding - I definitely understand the intention but I'm wondering if one is better than the other for general use, day or night, based on other people's feedback. I'm also trying to find a solution for the incredibly distracting grey-screen/bar issue. What I had initially read was a small issue on a handful of titles (on disc) turns out to be quite extensive for me when watching multiple DV titles via Apple TV 4K. Every DV title I watch has it happen, it's quite frustrating.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
Thanks for responding - I definitely understand the intention but I'm wondering if one is better than the other for general use, day or night, based on other people's feedback. I'm also trying to find a solution for the incredibly distracting grey-screen/bar issue. What I had initially read was a small issue on a handful of titles (on disc) turns out to be quite extensive for me when watching multiple DV titles via Apple TV 4K. Every DV title I watch has it happen, it's quite frustrating.
I assume that Dolby Vision Dark is the closest to the conditions in the Grading Suite, where the Colourist will have mastered the colours, but I don’t know this for a fact.

I haven’t explorered enough DV content myself. It does appear to be deliberate in the source for whatever reason.

HDR appears to be a bit of a mess for many reasons, Studios mastering to different nit levels, TVs tone mapping in different ways, HDR10, DV.

I recently connected my Oppo 203 to my Samsung KS8000. Watching a few HDR10 clips on that made me feel a whole lot better about my LG 2016 Oled. To my eyes it seemed a generation ahead. It is easy to get a bit OCD about settings, but there is no magic bullet with the current tech, just different trade-offs.

Edit: Just saw a post over at AVSForum, by poster Pro-630HD where he states that on the 2017 OLEDs LG have re-labelled Dolby Vision Bright to Dolby Vision Standard.

“It seems that DV Dark uses tone mapping to retain specular highlights out to 4,000 nits. Now with DV Bright it is possible that it is following the PQ EOTF curve exactly while sacrificing or clipping some of the specular highlights that are well above the nit range of the TV.“

Last edited by Nick Laslett; 12-02-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

Technical question, guys. I have 4K content with DTS-MA 5.1 audio on a hard drive. I have a Samsung first gen UHD player and a 2016 LG OLED. I can get the video by plugging the HD into the TV, but I get lossy DTS output because I’m going through the HDMI arc that way, which I understand is limited to lossy surround. I’ve tried plugging the HD into the Samsung and outputting through it instead, but I only get video, no audio - even though the multiple audio tracks present show up as options, so I know the player is detecting them! Any help?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Jun 2018

So what is the current situation with the gray 2016 OLED black bars in DV? Any workarounds other than buying a non-DV UHD-BD player?

I remember reading that some Sony UHD-BD player fixed the issue. Is there any truth to this at all?

My setup: LG E6, LG UP970, Denon AVR-X3500h
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies