Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (31 mins left)
Prime: How to Train Your Dragon: The … $11.99 (84% claimed)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: Fighting with My Family (Direc… $12.99 (6 mins left)
Prime: Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague $17.11 (21 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
5 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
7 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Overlord (Blu-ray)
$9.96
5 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
19 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #21

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I brought that point up in another thread and got slaughtered for my opinion. Streaming means they can change scenes anytime they like and even react to twitter saddos by censoring content. Digital is the ******* pits!
Exactly. When you buy a disc, you’re getting a copy of the movie as it existed when you bought it. When you buy a streaming copy, you’re getting an entitlement to watch a movie as it exists on some server at the current time. It absolutely could be edited or yanked because it’s “problematic” at some point in the future. Hell, even disc releases get edited from time to time.
Thanks given by:
JEDGAR1000 (01-25-2019), MartinScorsesefan (03-01-2019), Mystic (08-23-2018), Steedeel (08-23-2018), surfdude12 (08-23-2018), thecooldud (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcraftedbits View Post
Exactly. When you buy a disc, you’re getting a copy of the movie as it existed when you bought it. When you buy a streaming copy, you’re getting an entitlement to watch a movie as it exists on some server at the current time. It absolutely could be edited or yanked because it’s “problematic” at some point in the future. Hell, even disc releases get edited from time to time.
Agree, but I'd change "could" to "will"

We already saw this with Roseanne
https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/med...led/index.html
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-23-2018), thecooldud (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #23
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Note the irony. You say movies may be censored and they try to censor you, thereby proving your point.
Exactly!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Same could be said for those stressed out over how other people spend their money and live their lives. It's even more obnoxious when it's hypocritical. You're totally fine with digital gaming, which the exact same "issues" you bemoan about film could happen to, but it's okay...cause it's not your favorite hobby.
Games are a like for like copy. Digital HD is far inferior in video and audio.

Plus, I don’t feel the urge to ‘collect’ games.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I just hope people are not going to complain when it happens, as they have been warned.

Last edited by Steedeel; 08-24-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #26
Banned

Aug 2015
Thanos Cock

Quote:
Games are a like for like copy. Digital HD is far inferior in video and audio.

Plus, I don’t feel the urge to ‘collect’ games.
They can still be removed, altered, etc etc etc etc etc or whatever else y'all go on with about movies.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
They can still be removed, altered, etc etc etc etc etc or whatever else y'all go on with about movies.
Yeah but this distribution model hands complete control to the industry, oh and a few (imo) snowflakes on Twitter.
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #28

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Yeah but this distribution model hands complete control to the industry, oh and a few (imo) snowflakes on Twitter.
Each medium gets altered, for whatever reason. Games, movies, TV shows.

I think moreso it's not the editing or altering that's the issue, its why, and in what context.

Star Trek the TV series was altered, they remastered all the flybys, redid the openings as well as the theme song, along with other effects throughout the series run. The discs (at least the ones I have) show both versions, you can switch back & forth while its playing if you wish. On digital, its just the remasters available...but I don't see this as an issue personally. While the effects may have been adequate for a 4:3 ratio screen, with 60's resolution and all, the upgrade to blu ray makes the original effects show their age and limitations. Some of the old Enterprise shots make the ship look transparent. The digital versions were done by Paramount, so they took special care to make each effect look and appear to mesh seamlessly with the original footage that is now 50+yrs old. I have been a viewer and a fan of this show since it debuted in 1966 and I think the work they did was awesome! To me, this is a situation where the work was done right!

Now, compare that to the "re conceived" Star Wars original trilogy, or as commonly known now as episodes 4-6. Some of the affects were done correctly. Some not, the added footage of Jabba/Hut matted over his "human" counterpart as originally filmed in '77 stands out as an added scene that didn't need be...add to that altering the band, making Greedo shoot first, Vader saying "No" in the climactic scene of Jedi. Given that the originals were 30+ yrs old, an entire generation remembers these movies differently as they are presented now.

Games, same thing. And it doesn't matter that the industry is policing itself, they still make major alterations to games. Especially those developed in Japan and ported over to the states. Whether they want to limit the language, nudity, violence, whatever. Just some things are....still.....taboo in the states that are basically allowed everywhere else. I chipped my original PS1 to play imports because I wanted to play the game as intended.

Today, I don't really care about that, I'll take something as presented to me. I guess as you get older you start looking at things as what's more convenient rather than caring about which version of Star Wars you want to see. Eventually, we do grow out of it.

I don't like censorship either, and I certainly don't approve of what's going on with Alex Jones and InfoWars....its NOT a question of what he says or the content of what he says....but he IS permitted to say what he wants. He's granted that right in our Constitution. To have ANY sector of business join together to eliminate the ability to have that voice heard....popular or not....is dangerous!
Thanks given by:
Caladriusse (09-08-2018), Steedeel (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Each medium gets altered, for whatever reason. Games, movies, TV shows.

I think moreso it's not the editing or altering that's the issue, its why, and in what context.

Star Trek the TV series was altered, they remastered all the flybys, redid the openings as well as the theme song, along with other effects throughout the series run. The discs (at least the ones I have) show both versions, you can switch back & forth while its playing if you wish. On digital, its just the remasters available...but I don't see this as an issue personally. While the effects may have been adequate for a 4:3 ratio screen, with 60's resolution and all, the upgrade to blu ray makes the original effects show their age and limitations. Some of the old Enterprise shots make the ship look transparent. The digital versions were done by Paramount, so they took special care to make each effect look and appear to mesh seamlessly with the original footage that is now 50+yrs old. I have been a viewer and a fan of this show since it debuted in 1966 and I think the work they did was awesome! To me, this is a situation where the work was done right!

Now, compare that to the "re conceived" Star Wars original trilogy, or as commonly known now as episodes 4-6. Some of the affects were done correctly. Some not, the added footage of Jabba/Hut matted over his "human" counterpart as originally filmed in '77 stands out as an added scene that didn't need be...add to that altering the band, making Greedo shoot first, Vader saying "No" in the climactic scene of Jedi. Given that the originals were 30+ yrs old, an entire generation remembers these movies differently as they are presented now.

Games, same thing. And it doesn't matter that the industry is policing itself, they still make major alterations to games. Especially those developed in Japan and ported over to the states. Whether they want to limit the language, nudity, violence, whatever. Just some things are....still.....taboo in the states that are basically allowed everywhere else. I chipped my original PS1 to play imports because I wanted to play the game as intended.

Today, I don't really care about that, I'll take something as presented to me. I guess as you get older you start looking at things as what's more convenient rather than caring about which version of Star Wars you want to see. Eventually, we do grow out of it.

I don't like censorship either, and I certainly don't approve of what's going on with Alex Jones and InfoWars....its NOT a question of what he says or the content of what he says....but he IS permitted to say what he wants. He's granted that right in our Constitution. To have ANY sector of business join together to eliminate the ability to have that voice heard....popular or not....is dangerous!
I dont agree with that. My stance against censorship is not something I’m going to ‘grow out of.’. Film is my life long hobby and it shouldn’t be restricted in such a manner. The industry has become so over reactionary, it is frankly embarrassing.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #30

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
I dont agree with that. My stance against censorship is not something I’m going to ‘grow out of.’. Film is my life long hobby and it shouldn’t be restricted in such a manner. The industry has become so over reactionary, it is frankly embarrassing.
Steel, I think you misunderstood me.....
I'm not growing out of the censorship thing, I'm growing out of caring about which version of Star wars I'm watching.
Sorry if I didn't word that correctly.

I am opposed to censorship of any kind. But I also oppose like what Turner was doing 20-30 yrs ago...and colorizing classic films. Casablanca & King Kong to name a couple. It changes the intention of the filmmaker.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
As millennial's get older, their established habits become the norm.
We're talking about playing games on a phone, watching a movie on a phone, a TV show on a phone. There is no basis of collecting (BD's, DVD's,CD's,etc) and we're seeing more and more kids saying "Why should I buy that when I can stream it a lot cheaper?"
Streaming has an advantage where they can take a copy of a movie, adapt it, change it, improve its looks, its sound, etc...then that copy is available to everybody who subs to that service. Really the only limitation is a customers internet connection, which seems to be a major project here in the states. Add to that competing wireless broadband which is supposed to ...eventually....replace cell services. The one problem with discs are some releases get 3 or 4 different releases....like adding Atmos or DV....while other properties seem to have been ignored likely because the company with the rights don't see a profit in restoring, remastering, or manufacturing BD's of that title.
My "hope" of seeing a complete Andy Sidaris collection on blu or a blu version of "The Groove Tube", may never happen?
When Andy died I feared it may never happen but now that 3 of the 14 are on BD, the odds are looking good the rest might get released before physical media dies out.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #32
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Streaming means they can change scenes anytime they like and even react to twitter saddos by censoring content. Digital is the ******* pits!
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Yes, physical media can't be altered, hence why Fahrenheit 451 is about burning books and why books are outlawed in 1984. Buy physical media now and save extra copies in your attic (along with extra blu-ray players when current ones go bust)
Quote:
Hey guys it's all Digital, you lost this fight a long time ago. I use to Back-up my DVD's and BD, and take out all that Junk. The Studios control everything, and they have Censored and been Censored going back Decades. The Streaming Providers can't edit Content from the Studios, they are under restrictions. Now Netflix has their own Studio and part of the MPAA, they can do what they want with their own Content.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #33
Power Member

Oct 2008

Yes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology