Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
NHL 20 (Xbox One)
$33.99

Control (Xbox One)
$44.75

Wreckfest (Xbox One)
$29.99

Farming Simulator 19 (Xbox One)
$29.99

The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour (Xbox One)
$14.99

Wreckfest (Xbox One)
$52.99

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Xbox One)
$32.75

F1 2019 (Xbox One)
$44.99
20 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap - Roadtrip (Xbox One)
$32.88

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (Xbox One)
$29.99

Anthem (Xbox One)
$9.99

Hitman 2 (Xbox One)
$21.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 04-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #1

Mar 2018
Default Xbox One S All-Digital Edition Is A Missed Opportunity

https://www.gameinformer.com/index.p...ed-opportunity

When it was reported last year, an Xbox One without the disc drive seemed like a potential home run for Microsoft. The Xbox One has lagged behind PlayStation 4 in sales through most of this generation, and a large part of that revolved around a botched launch and a steeper price point than its competitor. Microsoft has since rectified many of those problems, listening to its fans and adjusting its prices to compete with the PS4. The digital-only Xbox One could have landed as the best value console on the market, but not enough differential between it and the standard Xbox One S leads to it being a missed opportunity for Microsoft.

An Xbox One with no disc drive removes key functionality of the system. Not only does it lose the ability to play physical games, but it also loses one edge the Xbox One S has over even the PlayStation 4 Pro: a 4K Blu-ray drive. Losing the ability to play any physical media is a large blow, but with the right incentives, it could have made the case that itís worth it.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

I think MS is just testing the waters on a no-disc console in preparations for the next gen. Given that the wealth of digital content is increasing, no-disc option may be attractive to some people.

Missing 4K Blu-ray drive would be benefit for some if it means cheaper initial entry cost. It will still have full 4K output + HDR, which PS4P does not yet have. An optional external 4K drive can always be added on as an accessory.

Since removing the disc drive would not have been that expensive to do, I think this is a strategic move from MS to gauge customer interest.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015

Anyone who buys this is kind of dumb. Even if you wanted to go all digital and never be able to watch a movie or play an old game again, this thing is still more than the regular XBOX One S which you can buy for either the same price or less. Does Microsoft really think people are that stupid? Maybe they do. Maybe some are.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB13 View Post
Does Microsoft really think people are that stupid? Maybe they do. Maybe some are.
Well, it is being driven by MS marketing . . .

I think XBO S.A.D. should be U$50 below XB One S + digital download(s) of customer's choice.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB13 View Post
Anyone who buys this is kind of dumb. Even if you wanted to go all digital and never be able to watch a movie or play an old game again, this thing is still more than the regular XBOX One S which you can buy for either the same price or less.
I personally canít find a use for this, but if it were priced right I might consider it. I just donít understand how they are pricing it ď$50 USD less than Xbox One Sď when almost every Xbox One S on their website currently has a $50 discount so it is (as you mentioned) the same price as a more capable system. Youíd have to really love that specific bundle of games and be absolutely unwilling to buy a disc to find value in this system.

Iím not all doom and gloom regarding an all-digital console like some of the other forum members, but I get the impression this system will be purchased by accident or ignorance (grandparents!) more often than not. Iím almost surprised they donít offer a discount of Game Pass to help incentivize the system.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One