Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
13 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
2 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.56
13 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
8 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69
14 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$36.68
9 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 04-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Steve Lilley
Default Buying my first TV of the OLED era and I have no idea where to begin

Hello gang. I posted this somewhere else a few hours ago that turned out to be less appropriate, so I'm just going to repost it here:

So the last time I bought a TV was the Samsung PN60F8500 plasma a few years ago, which is still terrific. But I'm in the process of buying a new house, and will have a kind of dedicated "home theater/entertainment" room that goes beyond a living room, so I figured I'd use the opportunity to buy something new.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start.

What sets are currently at the top of the pile? I bought the PN60F8500 after it had just won the Value Electronics Shootout that year by like a pretty far margin, so it was essentially *the* TV to get at the time. But I've been doing some research and it really seems like the differences between high end sets are a bit less distinct.

I'm reading a lot about this LG C8, but the price of the 77" is certainly giving me anxiety, haha. I've been a Samsung guy for years - do they have an equivalent in picture quality, which is ultimately all I care about?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Do you want to go with a TV that is 77 inches or will you be happy with something smaller?

GZ 2000 only has sizes upto 65 inches. The GZ 2000 will be out later this year.

Last edited by Canada; 04-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland

This is the first time Ive lived in a house for a decade, so I like the idea of a giant add TV. Ive got a 60 right now, so ideally Id like no less than 65.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

@Steve Lilley, thanks for referencing my 2015 TV Shootout evaluation event and for selecting our winner.

Love Panasonic's version of OLED, but sadly they are not available in the USA consumer market. LG's 2019 OLED TVs are a nice successor to the very well respected 2018 C8 series.

Our 2019 TV Shootout is now scheduled for June 12-13, 2019 at CE Week NYC, Jacob Javits Convention Center.

Hope to see many of our Blu-ray.com members and visitors.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland

Robert!

This was years ago now, but we chatted a bit over email (and maybe once on the phone) and buying that TV from you is literally the most pleasurable retail experience I've ever had.

All week I've been honestly really close to just calling you up and saying "here's what I have to spend, what am I working with," haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
@Steve Lilley, thanks for referencing my 2015 TV Shootout evaluation event and for selecting our winner.

Love Panasonic's version of OLED, but sadly they are not available in the USA consumer market. LG's 2019 OLED TVs are a nice successor to the very well respected 2018 C8 series.

Our 2019 TV Shootout is now scheduled for June 12-13, 2019 at CE Week NYC, Jacob Javits Convention Center.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post

I'm making sure I'll be there both days (it's unfortunate that you're not holding it in store because I love the town of Scarsdale).
Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lilley View Post
Hello gang. I posted this somewhere else a few hours ago that turned out to be less appropriate, so I'm just going to repost it here:

So the last time I bought a TV was the Samsung PN60F8500 plasma a few years ago, which is still terrific. But I'm in the process of buying a new house, and will have a kind of dedicated "home theater/entertainment" room that goes beyond a living room, so I figured I'd use the opportunity to buy something new.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start.

What sets are currently at the top of the pile? I bought the PN60F8500 after it had just won the Value Electronics Shootout that year by like a pretty far margin, so it was essentially *the* TV to get at the time. But I've been doing some research and it really seems like the differences between high end sets are a bit less distinct.

I'm reading a lot about this LG C8, but the price of the 77" is certainly giving me anxiety, haha. I've been a Samsung guy for years - do they have an equivalent in picture quality, which is ultimately all I care about?
You begin by asking yourself two questions:

1. What size are you looking for?

2. What's your budget?

Once you answer both questions, it'll narrow your choices down for you.

Last edited by Wingman1977; 05-02-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies