Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$18.55
10 hrs ago
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #661

Apr 2016

It may be that WB Japan was the licensed publisher for Japan, but Toho handles international sales. The licensor for North America has always been Toho. (I should know, I worked on the CPM 2-disc set from 2002.)
Thanks given by:
BoscoTheMan82 (06-09-2019), Lionel Horsepackage (07-12-2019), professorwho (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #662
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
OVA + Movie set is out on 8/27/2019

RightStuf link: https://www.rightstufanime.com/Kimag...-Movie-Blu-ray
I currently have a lot of best buy points so just need to wait for it to go up there. Reasonable price.

As for watching order I do: Series, 1st movie, OVAs, 2nd movie. But I dont think the order is particularly important in regards to OVAs.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #663
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

If anyone is still looking to purchase this title, Barnes and Noble is having a 40% off sale, and you can get an additional 15% coupon from them to knock the total of KOR down to $51, which is not bad at all.
Thanks given by:
Nothing371 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #664
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Because of this thread, I made my way through all of the series episodes and OVA's on Crunchyroll. Didn't want to wait to see what the movie had to offer, so I ended up watching that on Youtube. Enjoyed the whole overall, so many little poignant moments and bits of style (particularly liked episode 43 about the band) even though I had to sit through so much frustration over indecision and certain unlikable filler. However, something I didn't quite get...

[Show spoiler]Are we supposed to assume that life went on as normal after the end of the series up to the beginning of the movie? It seems as if Madoka and Kyosuke's trip to the past and their discovery of having met before goes unspoken of. You would think this would have prompted the beginning of their proper relationship. But in the movie, they don't do this until midway through. Did Madoka even keep any memory of her trip to the past and her discovery of Kyosuke's powers (powers of which aren't even utilized in the movie)?

I have to say I did get lots of feels with that mid-movie scene where they talk on the phone...static shot of Kyosuke in the dark and Madoka's softly breaking voice through the receiver...perhaps the best scene of the whole thing. But it seems to me that they had already expressed their feelings for each other at the end of the series. I know that Madoka was leaving to America for a bit because of her father, but I just don't see how the movie didn't start off with her coming back and them immediately dealing with their feelings and putting off Hikaru.

Last edited by dullboy; 06-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 AM   #665

Dec 2012

The movie doesn't line up with the TV series. You should consider it a separate timeline.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #666

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullboy View Post
Because of this thread, I made my way through all of the series episodes and OVA's on Crunchyroll. Didn't want to wait to see what the movie had to offer, so I ended up watching that on Youtube. Enjoyed the whole overall, so many little poignant moments and bits of style (particularly liked episode 43 about the band) even though I had to sit through so much frustration over indecision and certain unlikable filler. However, something I didn't quite get...

[Show spoiler]Are we supposed to assume that life went on as normal after the end of the series up to the beginning of the movie? It seems as if Madoka and Kyosuke's trip to the past and their discovery of having met before goes unspoken of. You would think this would have prompted the beginning of their proper relationship. But in the movie, they don't do this until midway through. Did Madoka even keep any memory of her trip to the past and her discovery of Kyosuke's powers (powers of which aren't even utilized in the movie)?

I have to say I did get lots of feels with that mid-movie scene where they talk on the phone...static shot of Kyosuke in the dark and Madoka's softly breaking voice through the receiver...perhaps the best scene of the whole thing. But it seems to me that they had already expressed their feelings for each other at the end of the series. I know that Madoka was leaving to America for a bit because of her father, but I just don't see how the movie didn't start off with her coming back and them immediately dealing with their feelings and putting off Hikaru.
I disagree with the above comment that the movie is an alternate version of events. I don't see the series and movie as inconsistent. My take:

[Show spoiler]Kyosuke needed to do two things: 1) Tell Madoka how he feels about her, and 2) Tell Hikaru how he feels about Madoka. The series only addresses the first of these, and only partially. Unless I misremember, in the series end he never tells her he loves her, only that he'll be waiting for her when she returns from America and that he'll be there for her always, or something to that effect. We don't know how long that trip took, but given Kyosuke's general indecisiveness, it's easy to believe that his relationship with Madoka did become more serious, while he also never told Hikaru anything and kept seeing her, not seriously as he apparently never did, but that never kept her from keeping on. If Madoka was gone for a while, Kyosuke no doubt found it harder to tell Hikaru anything as she probably spent even more time with him than usual.

Things Madoka says, mostly in that important conversation you mention, are consistent with this. She says she thought she knew how Kyosuke feels about her (showing he never actually said it, yet); she also says that it isn't about Hikaru but about what his feelings are, and essentially telling him that it's time for him to make his choice and tell everyone where he stands.

Storytelling-wise, breaking the two parts of this up between the series nad movie is a stylistic choice that makes sense. The series is mostly comedic and light-hearted. What Kyosuke had to do with Hikaru deserved a serious tone without comedy and the other things like use of the powers. I didn't take this as retconning the powers, but rather the movie was stripped of anything that wasn't relevant to the story at hand. We didn't see Kyosuke's friends from school, Yuusuke, or really anyone outside of the three characters who are relevant to the story. The way the opening credits were done emphasized this. Also, most of the movie was told as a flashback from Kyosuke's POV so things happening at the time that weren't relevant to the story wouldn't be shown.

If I've gotten any details wrong it's been a while now since I watched and I've only seen it all once other than I rewatched those last two series episodes later.

I will slightly amend how harsh I was on the series a couple of pages ago here. Because I like the movie a lot and its full impact only exists because of the series, overall I think it's pretty effective. But I stand by my opinion of much of what I said about the series. Hikaru is pretty insufferable, and a number of the supporting characters are too one-note, especially the Kyosuke's two school friends and Yuusuke; they're not characters; they're plot devices. Someone responded to me saying the show wouldn't exist without Hikaru's character; that's certainly true, but she could still have been written in a way that was just a little less one-dimensional and annoying, and those other characters could've had more personality than just a single trait--the show was certainly long enough for at least a little character development.
Thanks given by:
dullboy (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #667

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
If Discotek gets Urusei Yatsura, they NEED to include this gem:
https://youtu.be/6budgmrxpe4

For my money, its better than 99% of all modern dubs. Take that FAILimation- the BBCs dub of Urusei Yatsura is pure gold.
If I remember correctly there is also a US English dub of an episode or 2...
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #668
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

Yes, AnimEigo dubbed the first two episodes in 1995 with Southwynde Studios (who also did Bubblegum Crisis) with a different cast than their movie dubs (a young Michael Sinterniklaas was Ataru), but the result was bad, so they canceled it.

There is an Animax dub from Omni Productions, and supposedly did cover the whole series. If anyone reissued the series here, they might be able to pry it from Sony’s grasp like what NIS America did for Cardcaptor Sakura (another Omni dub). I’ve listened to a couple clips, and it’s not bad. That cheap style of dubbing with just a few actors actually works for a show of this vintage, and isn’t far from how a dub from 1980 would’ve really sounded. Yeah, it was done in Hong Kong, but all the actors are native English speakers from the US or Canada.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #669

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
I disagree with the above comment that the movie is an alternate version of events. I don't see the series and movie as inconsistent. My take:

[Show spoiler]Kyosuke needed to do two things: 1) Tell Madoka how he feels about her, and 2) Tell Hikaru how he feels about Madoka. The series only addresses the first of these, and only partially. Unless I misremember, in the series end he never tells her he loves her, only that he'll be waiting for her when she returns from America and that he'll be there for her always, or something to that effect. We don't know how long that trip took, but given Kyosuke's general indecisiveness, it's easy to believe that his relationship with Madoka did become more serious, while he also never told Hikaru anything and kept seeing her, not seriously as he apparently never did, but that never kept her from keeping on. If Madoka was gone for a while, Kyosuke no doubt found it harder to tell Hikaru anything as she probably spent even more time with him than usual.

Things Madoka says, mostly in that important conversation you mention, are consistent with this. She says she thought she knew how Kyosuke feels about her (showing he never actually said it, yet); she also says that it isn't about Hikaru but about what his feelings are, and essentially telling him that it's time for him to make his choice and tell everyone where he stands.

Storytelling-wise, breaking the two parts of this up between the series nad movie is a stylistic choice that makes sense. The series is mostly comedic and light-hearted. What Kyosuke had to do with Hikaru deserved a serious tone without comedy and the other things like use of the powers. I didn't take this as retconning the powers, but rather the movie was stripped of anything that wasn't relevant to the story at hand. We didn't see Kyosuke's friends from school, Yuusuke, or really anyone outside of the three characters who are relevant to the story. The way the opening credits were done emphasized this. Also, most of the movie was told as a flashback from Kyosuke's POV so things happening at the time that weren't relevant to the story wouldn't be shown.

If I've gotten any details wrong it's been a while now since I watched and I've only seen it all once other than I rewatched those last two series episodes later.

I will slightly amend how harsh I was on the series a couple of pages ago here. Because I like the movie a lot and its full impact only exists because of the series, overall I think it's pretty effective. But I stand by my opinion of much of what I said about the series. Hikaru is pretty insufferable, and a number of the supporting characters are too one-note, especially the Kyosuke's two school friends and Yuusuke; they're not characters; they're plot devices. Someone responded to me saying the show wouldn't exist without Hikaru's character; that's certainly true, but she could still have been written in a way that was just a little less one-dimensional and annoying, and those other characters could've had more personality than just a single trait--the show was certainly long enough for at least a little character development.
The disregard for scenes, details, and even a character certainly do not help, but putting all that aside, the ages of the characters/year in the world have been changed to more line up with the manga.

I believe it was made more or less as a follow up to the manga, unfortunately the manga author "Izumi Matsumoto" disliked it, and likened it to a parrallel world.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #670
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alls Wills View Post
The disregard for scenes, details, and even a character certainly do not help, but putting all that aside, the ages of the characters/year in the world have been changed to more line up with the manga.

I believe it was made more or less as a follow up to the manga, unfortunately the manga author "Izumi Matsumoto" disliked it, and likened it to a parrallel world.
I wonder if that explains why the first movie was not released on DVD in Japan when the TV series and second movie were.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #671

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
I wonder if that explains why the first movie was not released on DVD in Japan when the TV series and second movie were.
It might be. I'm also under the impression that the movie isn't very well liked in Japan, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #672

Feb 2009

I was pretty sure the movie won awards.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #673
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

OAV Finally up at Best Buy. With 40$ in BB points it was $3.15

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kimagur...skuId=34668808
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime