Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
15 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM   #1
Power Member

Oct 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default sound doesnt come through on some movies

Wasnt sure where to ask this.

After like 9 years, my PS3 died so I bought a $70 Sony blu ray player until I can get a decent 4k player.

Anyway, the first 2 blus played fine with the audio playing through the soundbar (RCA hooked to TV with digital optic cable). Put in Captain Marvel and no sound for previews and the menu, but the movie had sound.

Now I put in Us and no audio at all comes through the soundbar. I switched to one of the discs that worked completely, and it worked fine. Tried Us again, no sound out of the bar.

I'm at a loss. The only variable is the blu ray player, but why would it not transmit all audio?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

how is the Blu-ray player (list the model) getting audio to the soundbar, direct connection to the soundbar (what kind) or direct connection to the tv?

say what type of connection, hdmi, digital coax, optical or analog. also, what audio types have you selected in the movies audio sections?

what types of audio does the soundbar support? do you have the player doing the decoding, or the tv (if passing through with ARC) or the soundbar?

if you didn't have audio problems with the PS3, I'm willing to bet it's either a setting in the player or an audio default on the disc. also, you only mentioned four movies, is that all you have for testing purposes? and what were the two unnamed movies?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2012

Ok so its HDMI from the player to the TV, the optic cable from the TV to the soundbar.

All in all, I tested 4 movies: Into the Spider-verse, Greatest Showman (no issue with either), Captain Marvel (audio only for the ding sound when tut put pick a language and then after hitting play on the film - no sound during previews or menu), then Us (no sound at all - menu, previews, movie).
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

what soundbar?
please list gear by model and brand so we don't keep asking you.

also, what do you have the player audio set to do, is it decoding and sending PCM to the tv to then send to the soundbar? or is it sending stereo to the tv because I'm willing to bet the tv can't support any lossless audio?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 AM   #5

Oct 2014

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you try using the TV's speakers when watching Us? Do you get sound then?

My guess is the audio is set to output as bitstream, and your TV is having trouble decoding the Atmos signal. Try setting the audio output on the BD player to PCM (which was probably what you had your PS3 set to).

I'm assuming the Blu-ray player you got is a BDP-S3700. I have one of those, too, and to the best of my recollection, they don't automatically check for firmware updates like the PS3 does. So, if you didn't already do a manual update when you first got the player, you should do that. I'm not saying that has anything to do with the issue you're having, but it could be a factor.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2011
DFW, TX

do you have any other hdmi cables you could try?... I had some crap cables in the past have audio dropouts like you're describing... since then I have bought all my cables from monoprice, they are cheap and I have never had an issue since using their cables
Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron82 View Post
do you have any other hdmi cables you could try?... I had some crap cables in the past have audio dropouts like you're describing... since then I have bought all my cables from monoprice, they are cheap and I have never had an issue since using their cables
he's not having dropouts, he's having actual "no audio" issues and I suspect it has to do with the player and the tv as in what the player is sending to the tv. it could all possibly be resolved with settings, but, he has to respond about the gear.

he needs to give us details of the gear he has and the settings he's using so we can stop guessing and give really good answers.

that's why I told him to give that info, so we could!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:32 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2012

Tv: Sony Bravia KDL-46EX400

Soundbar: RCA RTS7015B

Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-S3700

As far as what the Audio is set to do, honestly I dont know. I'm lost on audio settings

Thank you all for the replies
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

What solar is saying is right, go into your Blu Ray player menu and look for audio section and it should say what it is outputting (bitstream or PCM).
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 AM   #10

Oct 2014

The Digital Audio Output settings for this model are actually Auto and PCM. Really, Auto should work fine, but try PCM and see what happens. Also check the Downmix setting, and try changing to Stereo if it's currently set to Surround.

And, again, check to see if you get audio from the TV speakers; if you do, the player settings are unlikely to be the problem.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Power Member

Oct 2012

Sound for all movies comes out of the TV speakers. I'll check the audio settings on the player after work
Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2012

Update*

I tried switching the digital audio output from Auto to PCM and that seems to have done it. I have sound on Us!

Thank you!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUgrass View Post
Update*

I tried switching the digital audio output from Auto to PCM and that seems to have done it. I have sound on Us!

Thank you!
If I remember correctly I had to do a similar switch like this on my TV (actually my blu ray player if I remember correctly) a few years ago due to some really strange audio dropouts with my Godfather 2 blu ray. It's worked fine since.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers