Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hell Comes to Frogtown (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Zombieland 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
4 hrs ago
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
19 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarfa View Post
The dutch release is only $14.33, plus posting there.
Guess it's the cheapest version around.
Yup, but my advice is : Don't buy! I'm desperate looking for another version with Dutch subs because of the fact that the Dutch release (Belgium, Netherlands) has the wrong aspect ratio. The image is not what we saw in theatres and is not what Tom had in mind. I loved 'Perfume', but won't buy this Dutch version. Never.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #22

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexroubaix View Post
Btw, I'm sorry but I just checked and my copy is indeed 142 min. I mis-read my blu ray player and now I'm worried that it is either sped up or censored. It's weird because I have seen the film many times in both theaters, dvd, and now the dutch version and nothing seems to be missing.

Again, I'm sorry for my error. Might want to just stick with the German release.
No worries Alex.....and I really appreciate the fact that you double-checked your disk. Luckily I didn't pull the trigger yet so I'm back where I started.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #23

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

In response to this thread, I decided to order the german edition from grooves-inc, who are great. It was only $22 and it came with free shipping. I bought the David Lynch Box from them and it got here very fast.

Here's the link:
http://www.grooves-inc.com/dustin-ho...859440939.html

It's too bad to find out that my Dutch copy may or may not be cut. Ah well. I can't wait to get my new copy.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #24

Nov 2010

Quote:
In response to this thread, I decided to order the german edition from grooves-inc, who are great. It was only $22 and it came with free shipping. I bought the David Lynch Box from them and it got here very fast.

Here's the link:
http://www.grooves-inc.com/dustin-ho...859440939.html

It's too bad to find out that my Dutch copy may or may not be cut. Ah well. I can't wait to get my new copy.
Hey Alex,

I actually emailed Groove Inc before I posted here about the item you listed the link for above. I asked them whether it was a DVD or Blu-ray since the cover image is for the Blu-ray yet in the item description it's listed as a DVD. One of their Customer Service monkeys came back with a canned response about item availability cannot be predicted blah blah blah. I didn't ask about item availability, I asked about the format of the item

Please do share your impression of the disk once you receive it - assuming it is Blu-ray
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #25
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten View Post
Hey Alex,

I actually emailed Groove Inc before I posted here about the item you listed the link for above. I asked them whether it was a DVD or Blu-ray since the cover image is for the Blu-ray yet in the item description it's listed as a DVD. One of their Customer Service monkeys came back with a canned response about item availability cannot be predicted blah blah blah. I didn't ask about item availability, I asked about the format of the item

Please do share your impression of the disk once you receive it - assuming it is Blu-ray
Interesting. If I had to guess I'd go with it being the Blu-ray version since the release date is correct (the blu-ray was released in November 2007) and it's priced higher at $20.11. Grooves has a second Das Parfum DVD listed for $12.12 with a March 2007 release date; that release date matches the release date for the DVD.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #26

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

My copy shipped yesterday. It should arrive within the next week. I shall update once I receive it.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #27

Nov 2010

Quote:
My copy shipped yesterday. It should arrive within the next week. I shall update once I receive it.
Thanks Alex.....I'd love to know which five minutes were cut from the film. We look forward to hearing back from you once you get a chance to review the disk
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #28

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Thanks Alex.....I'd love to know which five minutes were cut from the film. We look forward to hearing back from you once you get a chance to review the disk
I've compared the dutch release with the US dvd copy and the dutch is not cut, but is indeed, slightly sped up.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #29

Nov 2010

Quote:
I've compared the dutch release with the US dvd copy and the dutch is not cut, but is indeed, slightly sped up.
Interesting.....thanks for checking!

By the way, you mentioned in an earlier post the the Dutch version is an open-matte transfer, which I know is not the original aspect ratio (OAR) . Does this mean it was zoomed/stretched then cropped from both sides? Or does contain more information on the top and bottom than the OAR?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #30

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Interesting.....thanks for checking!

By the way, you mentioned in an earlier post the the Dutch version is an open-matte transfer, which I know is not the original aspect ratio (OAR) . Does this mean it was zoomed/stretched then cropped from both sides? Or does contain more information on the top and bottom than the OAR?
Much more info on the top and bottom. It seems that the 1.78 master is used for the the Chinese, Mexican, and Dutch blu rays of the film. I'm excited to see the German release for comparison.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #31

Nov 2010

Quote:
Much more info on the top and bottom. It seems that the 1.78 master is used for the the Chinese, Mexican, and Dutch blu rays of the film. I'm excited to see the German release for comparison.
Thanks again Alex....looking forward to hearing your assessment of the German Blu-ray
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #32

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

Just received the blu-ray from grooves.inc. It is indeed German blu-ray. Took a look at the picture and (though 2.35) is a lot better than the Dutch release (Even though the HD master is a little dated). Though the audio is HD (And very good), it is not lossless.

All in all, this is a damn good disc and it is preferable to the dutch release. I'm intrigued by the Mexican disc though.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #33
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Just received the blu-ray from grooves.inc. It is indeed German blu-ray. Took a look at the picture and (though 2.35) is a lot better than the Dutch release (Even though the HD master is a little dated). Though the audio is HD (And very good), it is not lossless.

All in all, this is a damn good disc and it is preferable to the dutch release. I'm intrigued by the Mexican disc though.
2.35:1 is how it's supposed to be seen. That's how it was shot. So anything else is incorrect.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #34

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
2.35:1 is how it's supposed to be seen. That's how it was shot. So anything else is incorrect.
That's true. I'm torn between the two though. I respect the final directorial vision of the German/French/American 2.35 composition, but I think the open-matte version (Which, in 1.78, has all completed FX shots) has a much better-composed look. In addition, the open-matte version has been used as a master for many different countries and is closer to Tywker's original intention to shoot the film in 1.33. Both ratios have their benefits in the same way Barry Lyndon's aspect ratios (Either 1.66 or 1.78) have their benefits. I'm glad I own both blu-rays so that I can have a choice.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #35
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
That's true. I'm torn between the two though. I respect the final directorial vision of the German/French/American 2.35 composition, but I think the open-matte version (Which, in 1.78, has all completed FX shots) has a much better-composed look. In addition, the open-matte version has been used as a master for many different countries and is closer to Tywker's original intention to shoot the film in 1.33. Both ratios have their benefits in the same way Barry Lyndon's aspect ratios (Either 1.66 or 1.78) have their benefits. I'm glad I own both blu-rays so that I can have a choice.
I would think if Tywker originally wanted to shoot 1.33:1, he would've picked a more square-friendly ratio like 1.66:1 or even 1.85:1. Seems pretty extreme to go from squarest to widest, if that was indeed his original intention. He's shot 2.35:1 several times before, so I have a hard time believing that. I may be wrong though, just saying.

I'm all for OAR and director's intention though. That's the way it was made and intended to be.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #36

Oct 2010
Western MASS

The German edition does indeed work on Region 1 players, just got it in today for some $17 +/-
Have to admit though, I hate that green rating which is so intrusive on that otherwise beautiful cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2850.jpg (98.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2854.jpg (97.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2856.jpg (97.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2858.jpg (94.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

yeah I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find one person on the face of the earth who likes the look of those German ratings labels.
they are an absolute blight on every single release.
the only smart labels are the few that provide reversible artwork, and thank god for those.
if only more foreign distributors would use them...........
Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #38

Nov 2010

I seen this movie once on bootleg and im dieing to own it, any word on a us release?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I would just order it from Grooves for like $22.
the US release certainly won't be any better, and someone just posted that it works on a region a player.
EDIT: doesn't seem to be in stock at the moment.

Last edited by Arkadin; 09-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #40

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I would just order it from Grooves for like $22.
the US release certainly won't be any better, and someone just posted that it works on a region a player.
EDIT: doesn't seem to be in stock at the moment.
Ok so it should work in my PS3 right?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International