Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
C$191.98

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
C$16.99

Captain America: Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Rick and Morty: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
C$26.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
C$13.99

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season One (Blu-ray)
C$23.99

The Expendables 3 4K (Blu-ray)
C$9.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
C$26.99

The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
C$16.99

Men in Black 4K (Blu-ray)
C$52.97

South Park: The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
C$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #1041
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post
The disc was region free but clearly the European version based on disc and cover print. The disc case itself was wide open, no shrink wrap or anything. Maybe that's how it's done there? It didn't look used, but would have been awkward to give as a gift since it looked 'opened'.
Many manufacturers in Europe do not seal media items from the factory like we do in North America. I would say it's about 50/50 whether a Blu-ray ordered from Europe arrives sealed in plastic or not.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #1042
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post
The disc case itself was wide open, no shrink wrap or anything. Maybe that's how it's done there? It didn't look used, but would have been awkward to give as a gift since it looked 'opened'. It came with a discount coupon for Virgin brand wine.
It took me a long time to get a proper answer from amazon about this. [It is such a common part of life there it's "understood" and it seems they had a hard time understanding what I was actually asking about...]

Discs of any type that are not intended to be sold in shops are often produced without shrinkwrap. I guess it saves a few cents; for CDs they stick the typical stickers right on the case. I don't recall ever getting a shrinkwrapped UK/European disc that even had a security sticker on it either. Unlike U.S. discs which are mostly still wrapped/stickered to hell.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #1043
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I buy from Amazon.co.uk all of the time and they have always come sealed.

Did you order from a 3rd party? If you did, then anything goes since it is not really Amazon.

Unless it is something strange and exotic, I would expect it to be shrinkwrapped just as they are here in NA. I've probably ordered 20-30 BDs over the past two years.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #1044

Jul 2009
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
got two titles from amazon.FR, dispatched via luftpost, duty free roi ray is region free, nice shiny embossed slipcover audio 'roar' and LFE the king is back
How come The Lion King is out on September 8th in France and in October for the rest of the world???
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #1045
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I buy from Amazon.co.uk all of the time and they have always come sealed.

Did you order from a 3rd party? If you did, then anything goes since it is not really Amazon.

Unless it is something strange and exotic, I would expect it to be shrinkwrapped just as they are here in NA. I've probably ordered 20-30 BDs over the past two years.
I gave you amazon's explanation. It has been confirmed by other British people. People in the U.S. are incredulous our milk (here, in this province) has regularly come in plastic bags (for more than 40 years). This seems obvious to us, but they can hardly believe it. I am putting un-shrinkwrapped discs in this category from our POV.

I have got tons of unshrinked BDs directly from amazon. In fact what started me on my quest to find out why so many discs came unshrinked was my first BD that came that way.

I've been buying from UK amazon since '96. Not BDs that long though... As mentioned, if the disc was intended to NOT be sold in a store, IOW customers would not have access to it, then it might be unshrinked. A good example is any large batch ordered by amazon. I would guess most people reading this thread are not buying super popular single titles in the UK, but are either buying sets (may be popular) or less "bulk" titles which typically do come shrinked.

Last edited by cfraser; 09-07-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #1046
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I'm not sure I follow.

If you're saying that you ordered some odd-ball product that was never intended for public sale -- like a screening copy of a movie -- then fine.

However, I think almost all of my BDs ordered from the States, the UK, Japan, or China were always sealed if advertised as 'new'.

The majority of what I order are 'popular' titles though, not indie films or anything unusual like that.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #1047
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I'm not sure I follow.

If you're saying that you ordered some odd-ball product that was never intended for public sale -- like a screening copy of a movie -- then fine.

However, I think almost all of my BDs ordered from the States, the UK, Japan, or China were always sealed if advertised as 'new'.

The majority of what I order are 'popular' titles though, not indie films or anything unusual like that.
I never ordered from the UK but I think what he is saying is that if it is intended to be sold at Amazon (or other on-line retailers) then they don't always seal them, but if they are for B&M then they are sealed. So if Amzon asked for 1200 copies and it received 1000 copies from the on-line batch and 200 of the B&M then if you get an on-line copie it will not be sealed but if you get a B&M it will be. HE also added that this most likely happens more with more popular titles (i.e. blockbusters) since if on-line only retailers only ask for a small numeber it might not be worth it for the studio to differentiate.

Use our market as an example, sometimes you go and all you have are bilingual covers, other times you have bilingual and English BDs mixed together, what happened was that there was more demand then the bilinguals produced and some US got added to Canadian orders and other times there is only English because the studio did not bother making Canadian covers and just add a sticker with "version Française incluse" stuck to it.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #1048
Banned

Jan 2011

Just to add to the discussion, the disc was (as we are calling it) un-shrinked :-)

It was from Amazon UK direct, not a sub-seller.

Other than being un-shrinked, it showed no signs of being 'used'.

I was more convinced that it was intended that way because the actual blu-ray case has a sticker on it, the kind of sticker usually plastered on the shrink wrap.

What's a bit curious then is if they knew it was intended for direct sale, not retail, that would explain the lack of shrink wrap. But in that case, why apply the teaser sticker that is clearly intended for retail?

I didn't mind in the slightest, but I did ponder how that would look if I were giving the blu-ray as a gift. The recipient might assume I'd already watched their blu-ray before giving it. As I consider that, it is strange that our culture is conditioned to think that is wrong or somehow diminishes the gift. And it's even more silly when you consider that the recipient would probably tear off the shrink wrap immediately anyway and then you have the same net result - an un-shrinked blu-ray!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #1049
Banned

Jan 2011

Another wee point is I believe the shrink wrapping process is what causes some blu-ray case covers to be warped, mottled, cracked, or floppy. I can't prove it, but I suspect the heat is what wrecks the case.

Last edited by Neild; 09-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #1050
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I never ordered from the UK but I think what he is saying is...
Thank you, that is what I was saying, but was trying to keep it more general. Why it's a sore point with me *right now* is I am currently "discussing" with UK amazon two recently received unsealed discs. The fact they're unsealed is irrelevant to my predicament, but just makes me edgy about discussing unsealed stuff in general (the unsealed discs themselves were in perfect condition BTW). Edit: I also have one shipment "missing" right now (out of about 6 others in transit)= more frustration.

The unshrinked BD I had issues with was a "special" Narnia release for UK amazon. It's a Disney product, it was relatively cheap for a 3-disc (2 BD) set, they probably sold (tens of??) thousands. They were unsealed. I happened to (apparently) get the last one which was beat to hell, the case was all broken AND it had mixed discs of Narnia and Prince Caspian in it! That's when I found out about unsealed BDs; amazon couldn't figure out why I was making a fuss about it. They offered me a 25 cent "price adjustment" lol. My main beef was they used cases we can't get here. This case was smashed (obviousy before shipping, no pieces in box) like a truck ran over it. My concern was why they even shipped it.

If you have not dealt with UK amazon about a problem from "over here" you have not truly enjoyed the experience of British "customer service". Trust me, I lived there for years, and it's as much an oxymoron as anything you've encountered. It's even more frustrating face-to-face, but when you're far away you really get to experience what they think of you lol.

Edit: sorry. To make this seem less rant-ish, my advice based on several issues in the last year (after many years of none, which came after years of many probs lol) is to NOT try and be nice and flexible. Request a replacement, whatever the problem, pure and simple. You won't have to talk to anybody. You'll temporarily be out some return shipping $$, but this is by far the least frustrating and time-consuming course IME. This is not amazon.com, and unlike amazon.ca even, you will not be dealing with Americans and their unique understanding of CS.

Last edited by cfraser; 09-08-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #1051
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I order quite frequently from Amazon.co.uk and have only had an issue once with a damaged SteelBook. I wrote them back and they sent me a second copy and told me to keep the first and not bother sending it back.

I've also done returns from them for reasons of my own choice (did not want it anymore) and they were handled properly.

In my experience, I have never received an unsealed DVD/BD sold as new. I am not commenting on your special edition of NARNIA, but I am very wary about fakes and shrinkwrap is at least the first basic level of authenticity.

Lately, I've been ordering a lot from China. I am *extremely* careful when shopping there because I won't buy it too cheap (nor too expensive, of course), but all of my BDs and DVDs have come shrinkwrapped with a holographic sticker.

Sometimes they use special reflective shrinkwrap which has the distributor logo etched in the wrap. Their logo is also etched on the metallic strip used to open the BD.

As far as I can tell, all of my purchases (Disney BDs) are authentic. They come with printed discs and paper inserts advertising Disney rice cookers and chopsticks, etc. If these are still fakes, then I really don't know!

The discs themselves are top-notch. They have the same menu systems, but now have Asian languages instead of just French. In some cases, they have even replaced the English text (billboards, newspapers, store signage, etc) inside the movie with Chinese or Asian signs.

Quite a cool way to relive an old favourite movie.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #1052
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ You should know that the manufacture of fake packaging is a huge business in China. It drives Microsoft crazy, probably others too. But I don't know about for BDs.

Anything made or bulk-ordered to specifically be sold online in the UK *may* not have shrinkwrapping. That is a fact, every Uker knows and expects it. Now that I think of it, and look at my discs that came unshrinked, they *almost always* have some kind of sticker(s) on the package. Over here those same/similar stickers are on the shrinkwrap. The stickers are not easy to remove, so this might bother some people.

I don't care about shrink if the product is OK, I am going to remove it after all. However...it may be a problem for a reseller. In fact, my original speculation about no shrink was that it was to foil casual resellers since the UK prices were often so drastically lower: over here, an unshrinked disc would almost certainly have to be sold as used, largely removing the profit margin in most cases.

I believe in one of the cases I am "discussing" now (I have 3), sold direct by UK amazon, the disc was used: somebody crayoned in the booklet!! for petes sake. The case was broken with no pieces inside the intact (I suspect redone) shrink.

Agree that shrinkwrapping is what causes all those wrinkles we so regularly get on DVD/BD packages here.

I also have received replacements for problems, why I suggested not even trying anything else (learn from my mistakes!). I have never actually had to return the damaged item either. I know that for amazon.com the limit is (was?) $20 not requiring a return either (it has not come up for me for a couple years, before they used DHL). I would have got another Narnia from UK amazon but they had none, which seemed to be true as they never had any the same since and they only do "exact" replacements the easy way. The good part of it is what they originally sent me had a R2 Prince Caspian DVD in it (+ the 2 Lion/Witch/etc. BDs) and that turned me on to how great PC must look on BD (later got at a FS trade-in deal).

Normally I have so much in the pipeline I don't care about a problem here or there, it all works out eventually. But lately I have had just such poor luck with ALL the amazons. I presume that'll mean shortly I will start several more years of not a single issue. Until very recently it's been years since I had a single problem with UK amazon. But I guess I use them so much now a few stumbles are to be expected. Part of the problem is their new (UK amazon) mailing cardboard is half the thickness of the old stuff. There is essentially no corrugation to even give a tad of padding. They mail stuff thousands of miles packed as though it's going across London. I will guess that the person who packs doesn't know where the item is going; somebody else does the labelling stage...

Last edited by cfraser; 09-08-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #1053
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
Amazon

got two titles from the UK, dispatched via royal mail, region free, duty free, dent free others from the .CA big casing for the lethal collection dude is the dude props to universal for the 'furry' 5ive steelbook complete wrap around artwork, detailed GT500 and dodge, even tire tread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106_9372.jpg (97.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9379.jpg (85.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9377.jpg (98.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9376.jpg (97.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9380.jpg (91.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by rabbit; 09-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #1054
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
Amazon

received small haul from the UK, dispatched via royal mail, duty free, no royalties to customs region free titles, Yen ray is region B coded. once again, props to universal for a nice steelbook dent free full articulate artwork. the other universal release is pure rabbit friendly
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacific-Band...857318&sr=1-62
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106_9430.jpg (88.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9428.jpg (94.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9424.jpg (98.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9421.jpg (97.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 106_9420.jpg (94.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by rabbit; 09-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #1055
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Not a deal, but a new wrinkle with UK amazon: they shipped a package from Germany. Whoda thunk it? It took a week longer than the max. estimated delivery date; usually my stuff comes way before the earliest estimated delivery date from the UK. They also stated the price in Euros instead of GBP, without doing a conversion (this is to our advantage!). Besides the slow delivery, the discs arrived in better shape than most of the ones from the UK lately, even though "identically" packed.

[Of the 3 BDs, two were unsealed, one made in "the EU" and one in Germany. The sealed one was made in Austria. I try to put all my discs through a pro disc checker and the only "perfect" ones I've ever got were all made in Austria, including this one...so they make other good stuff, besides guns lol.

Do I detect a "tiering" within the EU? If it's a "good" EU country, they like to say exactly which one. But if it's not, they say "EU". Kind of like goods at Canadian Tire. If it's from a "good"-reputation country, they say "made in the good country". If it's not from one of those, they say "imported". lol]
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #1056

Jan 2009

Perhaps it has something to do with the recent fire that burnt down Sonys manufacturing facility, which was used by 100s of independent distributors for their own stock. A number of titles on Amz.co.uk that definitely aren't strong sellers all have long delays now because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if amz.uk and other distributors are getting specific items from elsewhere in the EU for the time being.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #1057
Banned

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire View Post
BBC Sherlock is 1080i/50hz.

Also, Amazon.co.uk sends things to Canada through Royal Mail, which gets picked up in Canada via Canada Post (if you take the non-expedient shipping). Duty charges are impossible to tell. I've been ordering from them for years (6+) and I have only been dinged with duty once... maybe twice... and almost all my orders are over $50 Cad
Well Sherlock is now even lower - £6.79

I get that it's region locked and 50 hz - will it play on the famous Seiki player though?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #1058
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ Don't see why not, I buy lots of BD/DVD that are "100%" Region 2/B and never has one failed to play 100% lol perfectly on the Seiki. It is reliable for that at least. [I have one Seiki that is an original and has been flawless for ~18 months. Not like I use it all the time though, have a PS3/Oppo for everyday stuff.]

Inspector:
Very good point: I forgot about that Sony warehouse fire during the recent riots. IIRC there were some other smaller ones that burnt too, with similar stock.

They were European titles though, which I'm pretty sure I knew weren't British-made when I ordered. I have only used the German amazon once IIRC, to get the German "Downfall".

You know, now that you mention it, I wonder if those riots somehow interfered with the shipping of some of my other UK amazon orders. Ones I whinged about above, still not here after 5 weeks (I often get orders in 5 days). I have never not received a UK amazon order before this, and that's since the '90s. Let's see if they handle this better than the last time I had a problem, which was for them to do nothing... *

There is one other "interesting" thing that UK amazon did recently which has never happened before: they combined orders into one shipment. Yikes! I did 3 orders in about 5 minutes, split up for the reasons we all know. As you probably know, they don't alow us foreigners to "combine orders" (in amazon-speak) if you want to, say if you want to add something before an order hits shipping. Anyway, no harm done, as luckily it didn't get dinged, and it saved me 4 quid.

*Edit: well now who looks dumb? Just got an email right now saying they have already re-shipped the missing orders. Didn't even make me wait the 30 days after the latest expected receive date, like amazon.com does...maybe they know something went wrong with a bunch?

Last edited by cfraser; 09-18-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #1059
Banned

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
^ Don't see why not, I buy lots of BD/DVD that are "100%" Region 2/B and never has one failed to play 100% lol perfectly on the Seiki. It is reliable for that at least. [I have one Seiki that is an original and has been flawless for ~18 months. Not like I use it all the time though, have a PS3/Oppo for everyday stuff.]
I'm just a bit confused about it... I know that Seiki would play discs from various regions, however is the fact it's a 50 hz video source be an extra obstacle?

It is pretty annoying that this disc is $40+tax here and sells for under $10 in UK.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #1060
Banned

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
There is one other "interesting" thing that UK amazon did recently which has never happened before: they combined orders into one shipment. Yikes! I did 3 orders in about 5 minutes, split up for the reasons we all know. As you probably know, they don't alow us foreigners to "combine orders" (in amazon-speak) if you want to, say if you want to add something before an order hits shipping. Anyway, no harm done, as luckily it didn't get dinged, and it saved me 4 quid.
I'm just about to order 6-7 titles including one that is a heavy tin box. I'm assuming the tin box will definitely get routed for extra customs charges or whatever.

So am I best to just order everything in one shipment? The postage savings versus ordering these all separately is about $20. Would customs charges be that much higher?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals