Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
1 hr ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
9 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
1 hr ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
11 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
23 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #1

Dec 2007
Default bluray and piracy

in the near future do you think piracy would give blurays a premature death and will blurays be the last psychical video format

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcauley600 View Post
do you think piracy would give blurays a premature death
It has not done so for standard DVD's, CD's, mp3 purchases and PC and Console video games. Why would it for Bluray?

There will always be pirates and people that want sub par products. If you want quality buy the real thing.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings80 View Post
It has not done so for standard DVD's, CD's, mp3 purchases and PC and Console video games. Why would it for Bluray?

There will always be pirates and people that want sub par producrs.
Post bought to you by your local pirate. Not calling you a pirate Wings80, just the whole "producrs" bit.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings80 View Post
It has not done so for standard DVD's, CD's, mp3 purchases and PC and Console video games. Why would it for Bluray?There will always be pirates and people that want sub par products. If you want quality buy the real thing.
Because Internet was not high speed at that time.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #5

Jan 2011
Vegas

Well piracy really hasn't stopped any form of physical media.

Sure, there's your PS3 owner who will watch an occasional blu-ray and may pirate just as much as he did on DVD. But most people (IMO) who are into blu-rays are into it for the quality and the collection. DVD isn't going anywhere anytime soon and neither are the people who pirate them. I don't think you're going to be seeing pirated blu-rays in the near future. I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wright View Post
Because Internet was not high speed at that time.
It's still, and always will be, more of a pain in the butt for the average person to download a movie. The Internet may be more high-speed in many areas now, but the size of the movies has also gotten a lot bigger. And many people like a physical format for a reason.

So while kiddos in dorm rooms and people with too much time on their hands may want to download 25-50GB files, most people wouldn't find it worth the bother. Oh, and it's also illegal, LOL.

The industry would like you to believe it is a huge loss for them, but that's just business double-speak. Yes, if you multiply all copies of all movies downloaded by the suggested retail price, you come up with a grossly huge number. Problem is, that is a) SRP which is high to begin with ($40 for a new, single film Blu? I don't think so haha), and b) assumes that a download equals a lost sale. A lot of times it doesn't - if they didn't download it they just wouldn't watch it.

So yeah, I don't think it's going to kill anything. As to the "final format", some people say yes, others...not so convinced. Although Kindle sells well, e-reading devices have been available for years, but people like books. Holding them, touching them, etc. And every download service is either temporary (streaming), proprietary, or cumbersome (and often a combination). Some people think digital delivery is going to take the world by storm, but I think we can count on discs being around for quite some time to come.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Nah, the industry has made it harder for Blu-Ray movies to be pirated. Its a hassle enough just to make backups of my DVDs. I can't imagine how much time I have to devote to doing the same for BRs.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Bond View Post
Nah, the industry has made it harder for Blu-Ray movies to be pirated. Its a hassle enough just to make backups of my DVDs. I can't imagine how much time I have to devote to doing the same for BRs.
lot simpler than you'd think actually. with modern software (2010 software) it's now as 1 clickable as DVD is...

and before people jump on the "you're a pirate!!!" bandwagon about me saying that since I'm a big proponent of being able to backup your legally purchased media...... take one one look at my collection profile
Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Banned

Jan 2010

Blank blu rays discs run about $20 for a 3-pack.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Manyak View Post
you can get up around $3 each around here
Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2009
Boston, MA

being totally honest if it wasnt for piracy i wouldnt own ALOT of blu's. some movies go by unnoticed for me until i hear about them here and when i do they're already out of the theater so i gotta test it before i buy. but i consider myself a good pirate cause i do in fact go to the movies anytime i really want to see a movie and if i like a movie i will in fact buy it.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #12

Feb 2008
Melbourne, Australia
China Fake Blu-rays

Pirate Blu-ray discs are common in China and can easily be identified by sub-standard paper inserts and off color blue boxes. 95% of discs I saw in one store were pirated. I tested a few in the store and found they were all devoid of the extras claimed on the cover, were all single layer and had had Chinese and Chinglish subtitles added. They played OK up to a point but had lower resolution than I remembered on the original Blu-ray disc in my collection and none would fast forward or back properly. Even after bargaining they were not that cheap and should be avoided. Another fraud is to package so called Blu-ray discs in blu-ray boxes and claim they are playable on regular DVD players. This is true as they are DVDs NOT Blu-ray discs! These shabby discs are beginning to appear on back street stall in other markets. My advice is do not touch them with a barge pole on quality grounds let alone any moral issues
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-28-2014)
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Nope.

People will always need physical media because digital media is easily lost or corrupted.

I can't imagine a digital compressed copy of a movie looking as good as the real BD so I'm not sure it would affect Blu-ray sales that much.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

Feb 2011
Vinton, Ohio
Default ???

One of my Blu-ray palyer will only play DVDs. It started yesterday, I tried my other Blu-ray player and the dics was fine and played fine. The player that I am having trouble with is a Sony, can't remember the model number. Has anyone heard of any problem like this? Open to suggestions... My wife played a pirated DVD that a friend gave her on it a few days ago. This was the last thing watched on this player. Wondered if this might have caused it...

Last edited by coffee131; 02-14-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRyMcNizzy13 View Post
being totally honest if it wasnt for piracy i wouldnt own ALOT of blu's. some movies go by unnoticed for me until i hear about them here and when i do they're already out of the theater so i gotta test it before i buy. but i consider myself a good pirate cause i do in fact go to the movies anytime i really want to see a movie and if i like a movie i will in fact buy it.
Not to be the morality police, but have you ever heard of renting?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Power Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Manyak View Post
You can get decent "white inkjet hub printable" blu-ray media for a buck or less. I just ordered 50 yesterday for 49.99 shipped. Just an fyi...
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

I don't know about in the US but in the UK only fans buy entertainment. Everyone else leeches off the net. In the past 10 years people who didn't even want a computer now have one because they can leech.

I am an avid supporter of blu ray with 270 odd discs and counting. I still have the attitude that if I think a purchase is a risk I should download it first. If worldwide governments are just going to watch companies getting raped by people who don't purchase anything, I'm hardly going to feel guilty about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
do you think piracy would give blurays a premature death and will blurays be the last psychical video format
I don't get the question, there will always be honest people and criminals. If the world is 100% criminals then BD is doomed, but so are movies since if no one pays for them then studios can't afford to make them. Now if there is still enough honest people, then what criminals do does not matter. If the people that buy movies, buy BDs then BD will survive, if they buy something else BD will die to that something else, why would the studios care what pirates do? it does not change anything for them (except for possibly try and make pirating harder)
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Morris, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
You can get decent "white inkjet hub printable" blu-ray media for a buck or less. I just ordered 50 yesterday for 49.99 shipped. Just an fyi...
Dual layer?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

It may, and i stress the word may, hurt dvd's future and potential profits, but i can't see it having an effect on blu-ray. Most the rips that i have seen are anything but HD, one of my buddies was die hard about showing me a "blu-ray" rip because he thinks i was crazy for buying into the format, this has been on going for over a year and he still hasn't managed it. What he gets now is better then my typical idea of bootleg quality, but not enough that it should effect those interested enough to pay the "bestbuy price" of a bluray for quality.

Not to mention all the headaches involved, can't tell you how many times i have seen a bootleg thrown in only to find out it had no sound, or in the case of one of my friends here complaints of how they got half way through a movie to find out the other half wasn't there lol.

Now what i don't understand and absolutely drives me nuts, is WHY for the love of god do the same companies that complain about piracy hurting there bottom line, like sony, manufacture players that play pirate formats, like divx, mkv, etc... i don't understand this as i have almost never seen anything legal that would require that ability short of the NIN's thread in the music section on this site where they allowed their audience to make tour recordings vid and music and compile them into some really cool stuff.

In the end i don't know many who have bought into blu-ray, but i know tons that pirate and those that do will NEVER buy blu-ray at least not for a long time down the road and it will never be on the level it will effect the format financially. Those that at least buy dvd's typically use services like netflix as their main source and only rarely watch bootlegs, these are the potential blu-ray supporters (if i get my way).... and like those i already converted making them switch is the hard part, but once they become accustomed it will be hard for them to watch dvd let alone bootlegs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Tags
bluray, piracy