Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collect… $44.99 (10 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93
 
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Top Gun (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #41
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

A plasma would be a superb choice. I have one and your blurays will look sensational. You already have a good start with your blu collection. Please note i did not intend to cause offense. Just an opinion. Unfortunately Beta man seems to be getting a bit carried away and jumping on every post i have written. I speak my mind, thats what forums are for, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
Phoenix Theory Phoenix Theory is offline
Banned
 
Phoenix Theory's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
30 Years From Now
228
457
5
18
163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
A plasma would be a superb choice. I have one and your blurays will look sensational. You already have a good start with your blu collection. Please note i did not intend to cause offense. Just an opinion. Unfortunately Beta man seems to be getting a bit carried away and jumping on every post i have written. I speak my mind, thats what forums are for, right?
Thanks for ur opinion man. i know my tv sucks its a crappy vizio but hopefully my movies will look better with a plasma.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #43
Uniquely Uniquely is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Uniquely's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Mobile, AL
14
171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoenix23 View Post
I know my tv sucks that's why i was asking if that could be one of the reason streaming looks the same but one day I'll upgrade to a plasma.When I go to bb and see the demos of bluray I always say wow this is what it's suppose to look like.That's for ur honest opinion but I'll have a Better tv next time.
Don't take one member's personal opinions to heart. Some have serious personal biases against streaming for whatever reason. For the rest of us; streaming is a perfectly viable part of our overall entertainment package, and coexists peacefully with the theater, blu-rays, DVD's, and cable/satellite tv.

Last edited by Uniquely; 07-15-2011 at 12:29 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #44
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

He did not take it to heart. I have already mentioned that. However, you cannot resist jumping in, just like some other people on this forum. I gave an opinion and he shared that opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #45
krazeyeyez krazeyeyez is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
krazeyeyez's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
the guy on the couch
18
287
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoenix23 View Post
Thanks for ur opinion man. i know my tv sucks its a crappy vizio but hopefully my movies will look better with a plasma.
Size of your tv and your viewing distance plays a large role as well, i know at my house netflix does not come close to blu-ray, but at quite a few of my buddies houses, netflix and blu-ray are pretty close side by side either because of their smaller screens or in one case an extremely large living room. The bigger you go the easier the distinction can be made.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #46
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

XP23, I have a Vizio in my bedroom and it looks great. So I'm not sure why it looks crappy unless you are streaming through a game console or something else? That was something I noticed when I tried watching it through my 360 that the picture quality just wasn't there compared to when I watched it through my BD player or wirelessly through my LG downstairs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #47
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Size of your tv and your viewing distance plays a large role as well, i know at my house netflix does not come close to blu-ray, but at quite a few of my buddies houses, netflix and blu-ray are pretty close side by side either because of their smaller screens or in one case an extremely large living room. The bigger you go the easier the distinction can be made.
yes, sit in your garden it will look much closer to bluray then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #48
Cheeks24 Cheeks24 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2008
Northern Hemisphere, Earth
Default

Most so-called HD streaming services compress their data, which results in faster streaming, but poorer audio and image quality. Basically, they degrade their quality to improve speed and save money. Good business practice, as they're in the business of making money and most people who utilize their services don't any know better, but it is not something I would subscribe to, personally.

For the best image and audio quality, you have to go out and actually purchase the film in question on BD-ROM. Or, purchase it over the internet and have it delivered directly to your doorstep.

Until HD streaming services have uncompressed streaming and full features or better features than that of BD-ROMs, I will abstain from subscribing to those aforementioned services.

For a quickly and easy comparison you can do at home, draw a smiley face in Microsoft Paint and save it in both .PNG and .JPEG formats. Compare the two side-by-side, and you will see that the .JPEG format has image compression, which is easily visible when it comes to a simply drawn smiley face.

Last edited by Cheeks24; 07-27-2011 at 03:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #49
lobosrul lobosrul is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeks24 View Post
Most so-called HD streaming services compress their data, which results in faster streaming, but poorer audio and image quality. Basically, they degrade their quality to improve speed and save money. Good business practice, as they're in the business of making money and most people who utilize their services don't know better, but it is not something I would subscribe to, personally.
ALL so-called HD streaming services compress their data. You do realize that Bluray Discs are also compressed? The video compression technology is essentially the same for Bluray and streaming but each is lossy. Its just BD's are given a much much higher bitrate than streaming, or indeed HDTV streams.

I wonder do you ONLY watch Bluray's or do you also have HDTV service of some kind? I prefer to watch content on bluray disc but many times what I want to watch isn't available. Then streaming is sometimes a valid choice. I've seen some video on netflix streaming that is OK for content not available in SD. Old episodes of SNL for instance. I've also seen appallingly bad video, usually because they've just deinterlaced filmed content to 30p creating terrible judder. In which case I just won't watch it.

But I've also seen some streaming that's quite good. I recently watched Game of Thrones at a friends with DirecTV. The video quality on their streaming service was pretty damn good, in fact it was obviously better than the actual HBO HDTV channel. I'm sure it will look better on BD, but I didn't feel like waiting months on end to watch it.

Point is, right now as they are, there's room for BD and streaming services to exist. Hopefully each one makes the other better. If not for BD then HD streaming services would have no reason to improve their video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #50
BohemianGraham BohemianGraham is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
BohemianGraham's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Nouvelle-…cosse, Canada
397
458
9
Default

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-the-DVD.html - Food for thought. Apple's really pushing to kill physical media.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #51
Uncompressed Uncompressed is offline
Member
 
Uncompressed's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-the-DVD.html - Food for thought. Apple's really pushing to kill physical media.
Steve seems to forget about piracy, the optical drive is used by many for that purpose, and is the reason why most illegal downloads exist to begin with. I strongly believe that more than 50% of the worlds population get most things they watch and listen too for free illegally, so why would those people want to give that up.

Last edited by Uncompressed; 07-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #52
Cheeks24 Cheeks24 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2008
Northern Hemisphere, Earth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncompressed View Post
Steve seems to forget about piracy, the optical drive is used by many for that purpose, and is the reason why most illegal downloads exist to begin with. I strongly believe that more than 50% of the worlds population get most things they watch and listen too for free illegally, so why would those people want to give that up.
Try piratin' this:

Last edited by Cheeks24; 07-27-2011 at 03:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #53
LaszBluRay LaszBluRay is offline
Member
 
Mar 2010
Calgary, AB
73
Default

streaming (and movies on HDTV) reminded me of watching a blu-ray through a smeared window, crap picture quality and mediocre sound
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #54
BohemianGraham BohemianGraham is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
BohemianGraham's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Nouvelle-…cosse, Canada
397
458
9
Default

I made the mistake of arguing this on Fark with a guy who claims he has a 32TB media sytem, with over 4000 movies and 150 TV shows, he's 100% digital with no physical media because all DVDs/BDs get scratched and rot. He's also a free lance video editor who works for the gov't , and says BD is dead, and will die, while DVD will last longer as it outsells BD more. We're all just too stupid to use online and digital only, as it's just as good as BD, there's no big upgrade from DVD to BD. Nevermind the issues with DRM, Bandwith, and Hardware. I just gave up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #55
ps3bd_owner ps3bd_owner is offline
Power Member
 
ps3bd_owner's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Default

High Def: BD vs Streaming? Blu-ray wins.

HD Streaming is compressed, while Blu-ray is compressed too but the quality is stunning while if you look close to the streaming you'll see the blockies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #56
Ray O. Blu Ray O. Blu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray O. Blu's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The £Ŗ«
27
1429
50
6
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeks24 View Post
That's a hilarious video! I thought it was real for a minute, but finally realized the whole thing makes fun of Apple & it's fanboys. Took a second for a lightbulb to go off in my head. Tired today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #57
Uniquely Uniquely is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Uniquely's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Mobile, AL
14
171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
I made the mistake of arguing this on Fark with a guy who claims he has a 32TB media sytem, with over 4000 movies and 150 TV shows, he's 100% digital with no physical media because all DVDs/BDs get scratched and rot. He's also a free lance video editor who works for the gov't , and says BD is dead, and will die, while DVD will last longer as it outsells BD more. We're all just too stupid to use online and digital only, as it's just as good as BD, there's no big upgrade from DVD to BD. Nevermind the issues with DRM, Bandwith, and Hardware. I just gave up.
If you can get digital at the same bit rate as BD, it IS just as good. The disc and player are only the delivery system for the content. It does not impart the media with any special qualities. The problem with streaming is that it is not able to deliver at the same bitrate YET. When the day comes that it can... that is the day blu-ray will be in trouble because of the much greater convenience factor of a disc free system.

I for one would LOVE to see a completely disc free solution to lossless audio and high bitrate video. The advantages would be huge. Instead of walking over to your BR shelf and reading all of the tiny spines, then picking up the ones that look interesting to read the description on the back cover.... you and your guests could peruse your entire catalogue from the comfort of your home theater seating as it is displayed upon your big screen. If you are in the mood for a comedy tonight, you could with the press of a button view only your comedy films. You could arrange them by release date, MPAA rating, your personal enjoyment rating, custom categories you create, or any combination of the above with just a couple of button presses. The cover art, actors, and complete description of the films could be displayed on the big screen. When a move is selected... it would start INSTANTLY once you hit the play button; no long BD load times.

I think such a system should be easily implementable with the tech we already have. A blu-ray player connected to a home network could transfer the content over to your home network, while you watch it the first time even. The way I envision it working is you insert a new disc that the player does not recognize; the player then asks you if you want to watch from disc, tranfer to network, or both. If you choose transfer to network, the player will ask for whatever DRM verification the studios will come up with.

The only hold back to a system like this working this very minute (or ten years ago even) is DRM concerns. However, the DRM system for every disc format ever made has been cracked, and likely always will. The studios will never be able to come up with a DRM system that can't be cracked, so they need to just come up with the best DRM they can to keep honest people honest; and accept that dishonest people will ALWAYS find a way. Keep the honest people happy by delivering media to them in the form they desire it, and they will keep buying your product.

I think if blu-ray were to come up with a system like I am describing, they would be able to stay around even longer once streaming is able to match BD quality; as some of the people who would much prefer the greater convenience of a digital only delivery system, would like to have an actual physical back up of their media.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #58
Trekkie313 Trekkie313 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Trekkie313's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Ohio
2
7
832
202
54
5
41
Default

Until all streams are "drop proof" (meaning the quality doesn't suffer due to low or no signal), 5.1 Dolby and subtitles are standard. Blu-Ray will always be the way to go unless the movie I want isn't on DVD or Blu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #59
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaszBluRay View Post
streaming (and movies on HDTV) reminded me of watching a blu-ray through a smeared window, crap picture quality and mediocre sound
Ditto! There's no comparison between streaming, and blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #60
BohemianGraham BohemianGraham is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
BohemianGraham's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Nouvelle-…cosse, Canada
397
458
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinandtami View Post
If you can get digital at the same bit rate as BD, it IS just as good. The disc and player are only the delivery system for the content. It does not impart the media with any special qualities. The problem with streaming is that it is not able to deliver at the same bitrate YET. When the day comes that it can... that is the day blu-ray will be in trouble because of the much greater convenience factor of a disc free system.

I for one would LOVE to see a completely disc free solution to lossless audio and high bitrate video. The advantages would be huge. Instead of walking over to your BR shelf and reading all of the tiny spines, then picking up the ones that look interesting to read the description on the back cover.... you and your guests could peruse your entire catalogue from the comfort of your home theater seating as it is displayed upon your big screen. If you are in the mood for a comedy tonight, you could with the press of a button view only your comedy films. You could arrange them by release date, MPAA rating, your personal enjoyment rating, custom categories you create, or any combination of the above with just a couple of button presses. The cover art, actors, and complete description of the films could be displayed on the big screen. When a move is selected... it would start INSTANTLY once you hit the play button; no long BD load times.

I think such a system should be easily implementable with the tech we already have. A blu-ray player connected to a home network could transfer the content over to your home network, while you watch it the first time even. The way I envision it working is you insert a new disc that the player does not recognize; the player then asks you if you want to watch from disc, tranfer to network, or both. If you choose transfer to network, the player will ask for whatever DRM verification the studios will come up with.

The only hold back to a system like this working this very minute (or ten years ago even) is DRM concerns. However, the DRM system for every disc format ever made has been cracked, and likely always will. The studios will never be able to come up with a DRM system that can't be cracked, so they need to just come up with the best DRM they can to keep honest people honest; and accept that dishonest people will ALWAYS find a way. Keep the honest people happy by delivering media to them in the form they desire it, and they will keep buying your product.

I think if blu-ray were to come up with a system like I am describing, they would be able to stay around even longer once streaming is able to match BD quality; as some of the people who would much prefer the greater convenience of a digital only delivery system, would like to have an actual physical back up of their media.
I have no issues with digital delivery, and actually agree with everything you said. However, as you said, right now it's far too problematic. DRM is a huge one for me, and the idea that a company can arbitrarily decide whether or not you can have your content. Also, there's the whole issue with bandwidth caps and internet providers being mega jerks about the whole thing. Just look at the issues in Canada right now.

My issue with the guy was his patronising attitude and the fact that BD isn't an improvement over DVD. Also, I think he was full of crap about what his profession was.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.