Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (46 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

I don't mind the glasses.

What I do mind is HFR, 24p for life!
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (10-31-2016), mredman (11-02-2016), notops (10-31-2016), the13thman (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #42
Special Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I don't mind the glasses.

What I do mind is HFR, 24p for life!
I also don't mind the glasses. If no glasses 3D can be as good as Real 3D than I would be all for it, but if not give me Real 3D all the time.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I'm more curious about the 48fps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

Bravo to Jim. He did start the ball rolling with modern stereoscopic 3D, so I'm looking forward to him breaking new grounds with this.

Sent from my MI PAD 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #45
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
Bravo to Jim. He did start the ball rolling with modern stereoscopic 3D, so I'm looking forward to him breaking new grounds with this.

Sent from my MI PAD 2 using Tapatalk
Ditto! Cameron is my hero and what he's saying in the article has me tremendously excited! I've been talking with my wife recently about the idea of glasses free 3d in theaters and it looks like my hunch about coming with the advent of Avatar 2 might actually come to fruition!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #46
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Maybe this is one of the reasons it's taking so long for these sequels to come out, I mean I know he's said he really wants to nail the story but why not bring in another technological leap forward as well.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (11-02-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2011

Blah Blah Blah. There have been talks and demos of glasses free 3D for many years. All the demos I have seen look terrible. You have to be sitting in a sweet spot to see 3D and there is no pop-out. Its such a small percentage of people who like 3D, why bother.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #48
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009

Glasses free 3D has been in development for years. When it started specifically, I have no idea, but this was clearly already a goal for the future of 3D films. While I don't mind the glasses I also don't mind innovation. I would not be surprised for Cameron to be the one to help usher it in as he is a true innovator as well as filmmaker.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (11-01-2016), Zivouhr (11-02-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
For the sequels to Avatar — the most successful movie ever made — the filmmaker, tech innovator and explorer said, “I'm going to push. Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range and high frame rates — the things we are working toward. I’m still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen — with no glasses. We’ll get there.”
Glasses-free "we'll get there" thinking: Using High-dynamic-range projection brightness and High-frame-rate.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Maybe this is one of the reasons it's taking so long for these sequels to come out, I mean I know he's said he really wants to nail the story but why not bring in another technological leap forward as well.
He spent many years developing the 3D technology workflow. Let's face it, Avatar's plot was painfully predictable. But it's also quite obvious he wrote the story around the technology that he wanted to push.

I don't have very high hopes with the sequel stories. But I'm always impressed by his innovation.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #51
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post
Blah Blah Blah. There have been talks and demos of glasses free 3D for many years. All the demos I have seen look terrible. You have to be sitting in a sweet spot to see 3D and there is no pop-out. Its such a small percentage of people who like 3D, why bother.
I see what you're saying about being skeptical about the limited viewing angles, but the same could be said of modern stereo 3D glasses as of 2016. If sitting at the wrong angle, the 3D effect is diminished.

The advancement of displaying 3D has to start somewhere, and even though the effect may be limited for now, 3D breakthroughs are a good thing. The future will be glasses free 3D, but it will take time to get it perfected to be equal or exceed the awesome 3D we're seeing today on 3D screens, 3DTVs and 3D projectors, with 3D glasses on.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #52
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

The technology that I'm hearing quite a bit about is Ultra-D.

Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (11-04-2016), Zivouhr (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #53
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

Home Theater Geeks 194: Ultra-D Glasses-Free 3D - YouTube
I gotta watch this! I still have an article on my phone I found months ago about the tech that I still haven't finished reading I think lol!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #54
Special Member

Mar 2010

I saw an ultra-d demo about a year ago. Not impressed. It was okay at best fbut pop outs are non-existent... Nowhere near as effective as with glasses. But some people like itanyway for depth
Old 11-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #55
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

You could be right, but most modern films don't have popouts anyway, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge based on demo material. You have to use material that contains strong popouts to really know what it can or cannot do.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (11-03-2016), Zivouhr (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #56
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:

Home Theater Geeks 194: Ultra-D Glasses-Free 3D - YouTube
Quote:
You could be right, but most modern films don't have popouts anyway, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge based on demo material. You have to use material that contains strong popouts to really know what it can or cannot do.
Thanks Revgen for the details. I haven't seen it in person, but if they can eventually get the larger home screen TVs to look as strong as the pop outs and 3D of the tiny Nintendo glasses free 3DS, then we're in great shape for glasses free 3D TV. For those who don't think glasses free 3D has a future, just watch a Nintendo 3DS game in person with the 3D cranked up to maximum. Very impressive, strong 3D effect and proof that with more development, glasses free 3DTVs can offer strong 3D experiences with strong pop outs.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #57
Special Member

Dec 2011

I don't see the point of glasses free 3D. It's a very small group of people that have 3D TV's and/or projectors and buy 3D Blu-ray's. Only Sony and LG make 3D TV's. Now its going to be an even smaller group that won't watch 3D because of the glasses. When they find out there is no pop-out, small percentage of that group. These TV's will be even more expensive than the current ones so, how many people will buy them?
Thanks given by:
the13thman (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #58
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Quote:
The main issue with pop-out and Ultra-D is you have to sit fairly far back (eight feet or so from a 46-inch) to view it comfortably. When viewed from much closer it becomes hard to focus on, whereas anything behind the screen is easy enough to view from five or six feet away. Rendering extreme pop-out effects is a relative weakness of glasses-free 3D, but it works. For example, in Life of Pi, the flying fish really do appear to leap out of the screen.
LINK

Keep in mind that this was two years ago. It may have been improved since then.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #59

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post
I don't see the point of glasses free 3D. It's a very small group of people that have 3D TV's and/or projectors and buy 3D Blu-ray's. Only Sony and LG make 3D TV's. Now its going to be an even smaller group that won't watch 3D because of the glasses. When they find out there is no pop-out, small percentage of that group. These TV's will be even more expensive than the current ones so, how many people will buy them?
Yeah, concerning yourself with glasses-free 3D is like planning what activities you want to do on your package holiday to Mars...

Quote:
LINK

Keep in mind that this was two years ago. It may have been improved since then.
Maybe, but not enough. Until glasses-free 3D can display Comin' At Ya! in at least the same kind of 3D quality I can get from my active plasma, I'm just not interested.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #60
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Oh there were scenes ( not from any movies) in which extensions were applicable...they were just ineffective. The fact that some movies today don't utilize it as they should ought not to justify a format that lessens anything from House of Wax to.Jaws 3D to Ghostbusters.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology