Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (3 hours left)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99
 
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82
 
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63
 
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29
 
Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86
23 hrs ago
The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19
 
Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Steins;Gate 0 - Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #401
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Great to hear about the corrected aspect ratio for the extras.

Has the black level been fixed for the episodes?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Garada (05-13-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 AM   #402
Dolemite007 Dolemite007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dolemite007's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

Hey guys and gals, first-time poster here and joined the forum specifically for this thread, as I'm a big Gatchaman fan and was recently planning on giving the series a re-watch after having originally watched it as ADV was releasing their DVDs in the mid-2000's (wow, it's been a while).

Saw this set on Amazon Prime for $99.49 shipped. However, I already own the complete ADV DVD set. I was on the fence after reading the review of the original 2013 Blu-Ray release that stated that the extras disc had busted aspect ratios and I'm glad to hear that it's been fixed for this release, but I still haven't heard if the alleged black level issue has been fixed as well.

Anyway, long story short, would it be worth it upgrade to the new Blu-Ray set, or should I just stick with my DVDs? I'm not an insane videophile, but if there's a significant difference in image quality I think it would be worth it, especially with the OVAs, movie, and artbook included. I'm very torn, so any opinions, information, or video quality comparison between the two sets would be welcomed.

Also- if I DID upgrade to the Blu-Ray set, I'd probably try and sell off my original complete ADV DVD set. Any idea what that might go for these days on ebay? I looked for completed listings but apparently no one's sold the set recently.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #403
monkeyjb1988 monkeyjb1988 is offline
Expert Member
 
monkeyjb1988's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
188
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite007 View Post
Hey guys and gals, first-time poster here and joined the forum specifically for this thread, as I'm a big Gatchaman fan and was recently planning on giving the series a re-watch after having originally watched it as ADV was releasing their DVDs in the mid-2000's (wow, it's been a while).

Saw this set on Amazon Prime for $99.49 shipped. However, I already own the complete ADV DVD set. I was on the fence after reading the review of the original 2013 Blu-Ray release that stated that the extras disc had busted aspect ratios and I'm glad to hear that it's been fixed for this release, but I still haven't heard if the alleged black level issue has been fixed as well.

Anyway, long story short, would it be worth it upgrade to the new Blu-Ray set, or should I just stick with my DVDs? I'm not an insane videophile, but if there's a significant difference in image quality I think it would be worth it, especially with the OVAs, movie, and artbook included. I'm very torn, so any opinions, information, or video quality comparison between the two sets would be welcomed.

Also- if I DID upgrade to the Blu-Ray set, I'd probably try and sell off my original complete ADV DVD set. Any idea what that might go for these days on ebay? I looked for completed listings but apparently no one's sold the set recently.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
I don't have the Blu-Ray yet, but I saw it streaming in HD and it looked pretty good. I don't know if it's heads and toes above the DVD as I haven't watched it in a while but I wouldn't be disappointed buying it (I only have two DVDs so I'm definitely getting the Blu-Ray when I can afford it ) I read earlier in the forum that this new set has the extras in the correct aspect ratio.

As for selling it on ebay, don't sell it for more than it would've been sold for in retail. I've seen DVD sets selling a $1000 and I wanna be sick. For the entire DVD set (which I THINK was 16 discs), maybe $80-$100 and even THAT might too much. Best guess, under the $100 the Blu-Ray's selling for because the price has to be good to give up on HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #404
Dolemite007 Dolemite007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dolemite007's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
I don't have the Blu-Ray yet, but I saw it streaming in HD and it looked pretty good. I don't know if it's heads and toes above the DVD as I haven't watched it in a while but I wouldn't be disappointed buying it (I only have two DVDs so I'm definitely getting the Blu-Ray when I can afford it ) I read earlier in the forum that this new set has the extras in the correct aspect ratio.
Yeah, the extras no longer being stretched is a big deal. But I'm really curious about the supposed black levels issue as I don't recall the Blu-Ray.com review of the 2013 set mentioning any problems regarding that. Perhaps it's just subjective? Is there anyone who has seen both who can chime in here?

Quote:
As for selling it on ebay, don't sell it for more than it would've been sold for in retail. I've seen DVD sets selling a $1000 and I wanna be sick. For the entire DVD set (which I THINK was 16 discs), maybe $80-$100 and even THAT might too much. Best guess, under the $100 the Blu-Ray's selling for because the price has to be good to give up on HD.
Hmm, you make a good point. Sometimes older sets/collectibles will sell for high prices because some collectors are completionists or just prefer the quality or presentation of a previous release, but I'll just be happy if I can make back what I spent on the Blu-Ray set. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #405
professorwho professorwho is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
7
203
63
Default

I wouldn’t trust the “reviews” here. The anime reviews are hilariously bad with how they overlook egregious compression artifacts (mostly banding).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #406
Dolemite007 Dolemite007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dolemite007's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

So, you're saying that the 2013 Blu-Ray set ISN'T that good?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #407
professorwho professorwho is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
7
203
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite007 View Post
So, you're saying that the 2013 Blu-Ray set ISN'T that good?
No, it is a great release. Im just saying don’t take what is said in the reviews here as fact. Most of the time they’re wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #408
Dolemite007 Dolemite007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dolemite007's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
No, it is a great release. Im just saying don’t take what is said in the reviews here as fact. Most of the time they’re wrong.
Gotcha. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #409
bongozoid bongozoid is online now
Active Member
 
Jul 2014
129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
No, it is a great release. Im just saying don’t take what is said in the reviews here as fact. Most of the time they’re wrong.
I've seen that in a number of areas - not just anime releases. I recall when Platoon was released, the forum here was full of massive complaints butwhen the review was posted, it read like a paid advertisement for the blu-ray. And then all comments in the forum that disagreed with the review got deleted.

It was bizarre.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #410
DJR662 DJR662 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
27
Default

As of today, I'm going to rewatch the entire series again. I'm going to try watching at least one episode a day.

Who knows, before I reach Gatch II, there might be an announcement for II and F to be released on Blu-ray?? That would be great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #411
monkeyjb1988 monkeyjb1988 is offline
Expert Member
 
monkeyjb1988's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
188
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
As of today, I'm going to rewatch the entire series again. I'm going to try watching at least one episode a day.

Who knows, before I reach Gatch II, there might be an announcement for II and F to be released on Blu-ray?? That would be great!
That would be great but it ain't gonna happen until Japan gets their own Blu-Ray releases. If an American release comes first, I'll be shocked.

As for rewatching the entire series one episode a day, I feel like that's the best course. I usually don't have time anyway and even if I did, I think you need the extra time to digest what you saw. At minimum, it prolongs the time it takes to watch a series, a good thing if it's good (and if it's bad, you probably don't want to spend too much time a day devoted to it anyway )
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #412
Dolemite007 Dolemite007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dolemite007's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

I bought this off of Sentai's site on Monday during their Memorial Day sale. $74.99 + free shipping, which was quite a hefty mark-down from their normal price of $97.99. At that price I couldn't say no.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #413
Ultra Maddnezz80 Ultra Maddnezz80 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2018
2
Default

Best Buy is selling this for $65.99 right now with free shipping! Had to finally jump on it for that price. Is this the cheapest the set has been since it released in April?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #414
Endymion0000 Endymion0000 is online now
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
Orlando, FL
3991
2365
475
818
588
Default

$64.99 on Sentai's site, also with free shipping, if you wanted to save a dollar.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ultra Maddnezz80 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #415
Ultra Maddnezz80 Ultra Maddnezz80 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2018
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion0000 View Post
$64.99 on Sentai's site, also with free shipping, if you wanted to save a dollar.
Oh ok. Just a dollar difference, cool. Not a huge difference to have me cancel my order lol. I know this must have been asked before but is Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman F only available for dvd? Couldn’t find them on blu ray at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #416
Endymion0000 Endymion0000 is online now
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
Orlando, FL
3991
2365
475
818
588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Maddnezz80 View Post
is Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman F only available for dvd?
correct.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ultra Maddnezz80 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #417
Ultra Maddnezz80 Ultra Maddnezz80 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2018
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion0000 View Post
correct.
Awww dammit lol..ok. Thx! I ordered them from Right Stuf. Is the live action movie good? Haven’t seen it yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #418
redxrebellion redxrebellion is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
redxrebellion's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
48
1028
285
8
Default

Might have to finally pick this up. Loved it when I was a kid
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #419
monkeyjb1988 monkeyjb1988 is offline
Expert Member
 
monkeyjb1988's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
188
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Maddnezz80 View Post
Best Buy is selling this for $65.99 right now with free shipping! Had to finally jump on it for that price. Is this the cheapest the set has been since it released in April?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion0000 View Post
$64.99 on Sentai's site, also with free shipping, if you wanted to save a dollar.
Just bought all three series thanks to you two. Thanks for the heads up
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ultra Maddnezz80 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #420
Ultra Maddnezz80 Ultra Maddnezz80 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2018
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
Just bought all three series thanks to you two. Thanks for the heads up
Where did you get Gatchaman, Gatchaman 2 and F from?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26 AM.