Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Mandy ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
2 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #181
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi wildbill,

Was experimenting further with my star wars DVD because I felt maybe the same settings for high resolution Blu-ray would not be right for lower resolution DVD, even though it was being up converted. My hunch was right.

Kept the player's simulation setting at high but left the TV depth at zero rather than -2 like for Blu-ray. This eliminated most all the ghosting issues and reduced the softness of the picture a little bit as well. As far as more depth, there was a bit more too but not enough to write home about.

This is where the advantage of having the darbee really paid off. For Blu-ray I was keeping it in the normal high definition mode. But there is also a mode for lower resolution sources called 3D pop out. I had tried this before for DVD and my own dvd-r recordings and the result was too much harshness and some artifacts so I use it only for VHS (many silent movies are prerecorded and not yet on disc).

Tried it again and this time it worked wonders! Sharper picture with more detail and thus increased depth. Definitely better than last night.

So you might want to try different settings for your DVDs, even without the darbee. But the darbee's lower resolution feature helped improve the overall quality and simulated effect for the star wars DVD. Saw the improvement eith scenes watched last night compared to how they looked today.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #182
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Paul H likes Darbee too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi wildbill,

Was experimenting further with my star wars DVD because I felt maybe the same settings for high resolution Blu-ray would not be right for lower resolution DVD, even though it was being up converted. My hunch was right.

Kept the player's simulation setting at high but left the TV depth at zero rather than -2 like for Blu-ray. This eliminated most all the ghosting issues and reduced the softness of the picture a little bit as well. As far as more depth, there was a bit more too but not enough to write home about.

This is where the advantage of having the darbee really paid off. For Blu-ray I was keeping it in the normal high definition mode. But there is also a mode for lower resolution sources called 3D pop out. I had tried this before for DVD and my own dvd-r recordings and the result was too much harshness and some artifacts so I use it only for VHS (many silent movies are prerecorded and not yet on disc).

Tried it again and this time it worked wonders! Sharper picture with more detail and thus increased depth. Definitely better than last night.

So you might want to try different settings for your DVDs, even without the darbee. But the darbee's lower resolution feature helped improve the overall quality and simulated effect for the star wars DVD. Saw the improvement eith scenes watched last night compared to how they looked today.
I can see a darbee in my future. I have a lot of non blu ray stuff I want to watch in 3d as well. Thank you. Where do you recommend I buy from? Bill
Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #183
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
I can see a darbee in my future. I have a lot of non blu ray stuff I want to watch in 3d as well. Thank you. Where do you recommend I buy from? Bill
Hi wildbill,

This is the link from darbeevision listing the retailers where you can find one.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5000s

Suggest you order one fast since they're becoming scarce.

As said, it will improve the quality of all your video sources, cable, Blu-ray, DVD, VHS and gaming. And doing so, it automatically increases the depth on 3d due to the added detail. If you want, send me a private message and I can let you know more how I use mine.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #184

Apr 2018

2D to 3D is worst then real 3D content.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auglenson View Post
2D to 3D is worst then real 3D content.
No argument. But converting to 3D is nicer than 2D.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #186
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Hi wildbill,

This is the link from darbeevision listing the retailers where you can find one.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5000s

Suggest you order one fast since they're becoming scarce.

As said, it will improve the quality of all your video sources, cable, Blu-ray, DVD, VHS and gaming. And doing so, it automatically increases the depth on 3d due to the added detail. If you want, send me a private message and I can let you know more how I use mine.
This darbee thing wouldve been great with my old setup, now i upgraded everything 4k and theres no darbee 4k hrd dv passthrough available yet. guess will hold on that one.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #187
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
This darbee thing wouldve been great with my old setup, now i upgraded everything 4k and theres no darbee 4k hrd dv passthrough available yet. guess will hold on that one.
Hi BLMN,

But your 3D collection is not 4K. Does the set upgrade everything to 4K?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #188
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Hi BLMN,

But your 3D collection is not 4K. Does the set upgrade everything to 4K?
Yes Joe, the TV upscales 3D1080p to 4K and it looks great.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #189
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
Yes Joe, the TV upscales 3D1080p to 4K and it looks great.
Hi blmn,

Then understand why you might not need the darbee.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #190
Banned

Jan 2019

i realy want to upgrade my TV(((((
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #191

Jun 2012

I know I'm very late to this party, but I'm still looking for an affordable solution (player, separate device) to be able to watch once in a while my 2D Blu-rays converted to 3D and would be grateful for recommendations.

At the occasion, unless it's already an old story, I'd like to encourage everyone interested in 3D to try the most inexpensive, free 2D > 3D conversion which you'll be able to use right after reading this post.

Unfortunately, I do not know the scientific details but somewhere in the course of evolution caveman lost one eye but still needed to hunt and gather food for family and tribe. Somewhere in our brains is a failsafe switch for this unlikely event which creates 3D depth from single-eye vision, provided there is spatial information enabling our brain to create a 3D image from it.

As for myself I have noticed repeatedly and recently that if the 2D program content includes horizontally moving objects (ideally moving into opposite directions) our brain will create a 3D image from this information watched with one-eye only!

Recently watched The Matrix again and in particular the scene illustrated above with one eye only, the 3D was quite simply awesome, the fragments are really flying at you!
Needless to say that the Matrix Trilogy opening credits also provide a very cool looking 3D effect, as do similiar scenes in these films and in many others.

Unfortunately, you'll only get 3D when there is movement in the image, once the image becomes static, the 3D effect is gone.

So if your friends think 3D glasses look stupid, maybe this is a solution more to their liking.

Last edited by Frank169; 05-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology