Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
3 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
11 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
3 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
13 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
So, what I gather from the responses in a nutshell is that there has been no interval change, since last most my neighbors were Netflix rental subscribers.

If they still don’t desire to take their family out to see a new release at the theater either due to the expense or the inconsiderate patrons and they’d like to be guaranteed of viewing the flick as soon as they can at home, then go with something like Time Warner On Demand, esp. if they are not video connoisseurs to picture quality…https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...on#post8708151 nor use anything other than their TVs attached speakers for audio.

Nor have any interest whatsoever in ownership or collecting.
Such people exist?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul1972 View Post
I've actually only opted in for the Netflix disc rental option. I currently have no streaming option with Netflix. I still enjoy renting (and purchasing) physical discs. I do have Amazon Prime as well which gives me streaming options, but most newer releases I still try to rent on disc.
I pay for the disc rental option only as well. The ability to rent physical media is the only reason I am a customer. I don't do the other thing which is not to be spoken of in this thread. I could also care less how long I have to wait to rent a new release whether it's from Netflix or Redbox. The motion picture studios are fooling themselves if they think I'm going to purchase a title I've decided is only worth a rental just because it may not be available right away to rent. With few exceptions I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. There are plenty of other titles I can rent in the interim. Don't understand why some place such a high value on watching new releases the day, week, month they are released. Will mention as well that while I do blind buy quite a bit, in most cases I prefer to rent a given title first per determining if it warrants repeat viewings before hitting up Amazon and purchasing said title. Love my physical media and my physical media loves me. Loves me long time. :-)

Last edited by AmishParadise; 01-30-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Such people exist?
A lot of ‘em. If they missed Rush, Captain Phillips, etc. at the movie theater and a lot of their friends are talking about the plot or characters in these recent releases, for instance during lunch at the workplace or with their kids at school and the TV shows (Good Morning American, Entertainment Tonight, Jay Leno) are interviewing actors from these feature films, as movie fans, they want to know what’s it all about.

They especially would like to have the opportunity of being guaranteed seeing these movies before the Awards shows (Golden Globes, etc.) are broadcast. Last night one of the dog owners told me he only paid something like $5.99 for him and his family (family of four) to watch Captain Phillips last Saturday night at home…which is their ‘movie’ night.

Think of it this way Steed, some Americans find it quite enjoyable to watch matches played in MLS, whereas you and I would have a difficult time in getting beyond the 15 min. mark given the quality of play compared to the Prem.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #24
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I pay for the disc rental option only as well. The ability to rent physical media is the only reason I am a customer. I don't do the other thing which is not to be spoken of in this thread. I could also care less how long I have to wait to rent a new release whether it's from Netflix or Redbox. The motion picture studios are fooling themselves if they think I'm going to purchase a title I've decided is only worth a rental just because it may not be available right away to rent. With few exceptions I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. There are plenty of other titles I can rent in the interim. Don't understand why some place such a high value on watching new releases the day, week, month they are released. Will mention as well that while I do blind buy quite a bit, in most cases I prefer to rent a given title first per determining if it warrants repeat viewings before hitting up Amazon and purchasing said title. Love my physical media and my physical media loves me. Loves me long time. :-)
I agree! I'm the same way. I just keep my queue stocked, and easily have 40-50 BDs "at the ready", with another dozen "waiting to be released". Then there are ~200 dvds, that I hope will be upgraded to BD(although most likely they never will), and if my BD's go into "very long wait", I may have them send one of the older dvds(usually a documentary or small indie film that doesn't exist on BD).
So just by keeping up with the queue you can, basically, have an endless supply of discs at your disposal. Which is great news.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
A lot of ‘em. If they missed Rush, Captain Phillips, etc. at the movie theater and a lot of their friends are talking about the plot or characters in these recent releases, for instance during lunch at the workplace or with their kids at school and the TV shows (Good Morning American, Entertainment Tonight, Jay Leno) are interviewing actors from these feature films, as movie fans, they want to know what’s it all about.

They especially would like to have the opportunity of being guaranteed seeing these movies before the Awards shows (Golden Globes, etc.) are broadcast. Last night one of the dog owners told me he only paid something like $5.99 for him and his family (family of four) to watch Captain Phillips last Saturday night at home…which is their ‘movie’ night.

Think of it this way Steed, some Americans find it quite enjoyable to watch matches played in MLS, whereas you and I would have a difficult time in getting beyond the 15 min. mark given the quality of play compared to the Prem.
I was just joking! Lol there are too many of those people though. It's hard when you fall in love with movies at a young age lol. Quality dictates a lot. It's like most things, once you get a taste.....
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I wonder if Netflix will ever be bold enough to open small stores? Obviously in prime locations to start out, as a trail run, as a way to give Redbox more of a challange?
Probably zero chance of it happening, but if the disc rental side get's spun off or sold, you never know. How nice would that be, proivded you at a location near you. It would'nt have to be a large space, perhaps like The UPS Store?
I'm sure knowing Netflix, they will just run it into the ground. After all it was only just the goose that laid their golden egg, for many years.
you know, I have always wondered about that. Can't you pick things up in store from Amazon if you live in a large center? I don't know how Netflix does it - is everything sent from one central location or do they have warehouses all over the country? Either one makes sense depending on your point of view but if it is multiple ones, I could see them running a small store out of each. Question is would it be profitable and how would it work with inventory - are you going to take that one off the shelf up to the till only to be told "sorry, someone has it on hold and we were just about to send it off to them"? If they were going to do that, I could see them running it as a seperate company from thier current service - each store has their own catalog of movies and if they don't have one you want, you can have them order it in but you can't order it from the disc service and have it delivered to the store. It would be Netflix pretty much in name only. I think it would just become a headache if those disc were a part of the mail rental side.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
you know, I have always wondered about that. Can't you pick things up in store from Amazon if you live in a large center? I don't know how Netflix does it - is everything sent from one central location or do they have warehouses all over the country? Either one makes sense depending on your point of view but if it is multiple ones, I could see them running a small store out of each. Question is would it be profitable and how would it work with inventory - are you going to take that one off the shelf up to the till only to be told "sorry, someone has it on hold and we were just about to send it off to them"? If they were going to do that, I could see them running it as a seperate company from thier current service - each store has their own catalog of movies and if they don't have one you want, you can have them order it in but you can't order it from the disc service and have it delivered to the store. It would be Netflix pretty much in name only. I think it would just become a headache if those disc were a part of the mail rental side.
No doubt it would be a huge undertaking, but they would have the advantage of already having a pretty large customer base. This was just a random idea I had been thinking about for about a year, and I'm sure Netflix has probably thought about it for exactly 3 seconds and decided: No way.
Of course they seem to not care about disc rentals anymore, which I'll never understand. After it was disc rental revenue that helped them branch out and grow.
I guess we are good for the next year, or two. After that, I can only hope they place renewed effort into the disc rental side, or sell to someone that would.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Kind of late to the party. I use both services. No matter how much I love films I've come to a point where I don't need all of them in my library. I use discs to gauge what has repeat value. Of course movies for my son or something I've seen in the theater is a no brainer. Especially since I have quite a few DVD's of movies and shows that haven't been opened. So it has become a need vs a want for my house. Still, unless Netflix takes out the competition I don't know how successful the kiosk or store idea would be? It didn't go so well for eBay when they started the I sold it on eBay stores did it? I know the one's in my area were gone within months. I think it might be a matter of time before it goes away, but who knows how long that is. As someone else pointed out, one side of the business is probably offsetting the cost of the other side(?). So who's left to rent from other than Red Box? I'm not talking about mom & pop stores, but actual physical stores? Seems most of them have gone under or in another direction. Which is why I don't get why Netflix isn't at least advertising harder on their disc rentals or are they? I think it is only a matter of time before things shift and they change their business model. It happened with phones, cable, internet, etc. I think anyone who's gone through knows things have to change. Whether that's for the good or bad? Only time will tell, but predicting the worse is a bit premature to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I wonder if it is more of a case of trying to stake out their claim in a new market instead of trying to maintain their place in a dying market. Let's face it, people don't rent like they used to - it is far easier to call something up on the Netflix steaming service(or any on-demand for that matter) than it is to go to the video store. Even with home delivery, you get whatever is available so even if you asked for a certain movie, you might not feel like watching it when you have it. With streaming, you can watch it whenever you want. There is that ease to it that you don't have with discs. So sure, disc rental is how they started and where they made a lot of thier money but there is also a large upkeep with it that they won't have with streaming. Maybe it is just easier to start slowing shutting it down, let companies like Redbox have that market that won't be around in 5-10 years and then focus on other ways of distribution. I don't see physical media disappearing anytime soon but I do think renting it will be gone sooner than later other than maybe that 7-11 that rents out 10 new releases and that's it. If large companies like Blockbuster can't keep it up, why would Netflix?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 AM   #30
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
I don't know how Netflix does it - is everything sent from one central location or do they have warehouses all over the country?
I believe they have 39 disc by mail distribution centers across the US.

Have already pointed out that Mitch Lowe, former president of Redbox, was one of the co-founders of Netflix. IMO, he pitched kiosk to the Netflix board but hit a dead end because there was no precedence for rental via a kiosk so he moved on to Redbox.

IIRC, in the 2005 time frame there was a Blockbuster stockholder, with large holdings, that tried to get the board to move Blockbuster to the by mail and kiosk disc rental business. The Blockbuster folks really gave this guy a hard time because of his views. Years later, Carl Icahn who was a very large stockholder, admitted they should have listened to the guy.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #31
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

I just noticed that all the discs in my Netflix "Saved Titles" don't have the format option. It's still there for dics in my immediate queue.
Kind of odd, I wonder if this a good or bad thing?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #32
Banned

Jun 2009
The South

When the Qwikster event happened, 2 million left disc subscriptions, going down to 11 million at the end of 2011. As of the end of 2013, disc subs are at 6.9 million. The CFO said at the end of first quarter 2013 that for that segment to turn a profit, they need at least 1 million subs. If you want by mail disc rental you should hop on Gamefly's service that was just announced. Dish appears to not want much from their disc subs but to use the profits.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #33

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
When the Qwikster event happened, 2 million left disc subscriptions, going down to 11 million at the end of 2011. As of the end of 2013, disc subs are at 6.9 million. The CFO said at the end of first quarter 2013 that for that segment to turn a profit, they need at least 1 million subs. If you want by mail disc rental you should hop on Gamefly's service that was just announced. Dish appears to not want much from their disc subs but to use the profits.
http://www.3D-blurayrental.com is a good option for Blu-ray rentals. Great 2D and 3D selection and even some mastered in 4K titles.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I don't know if big companies are going to want to keep doing disc rentals. Most people in cities have decent internet so streaming is easier and I know there are some people who don't rent but go and buy the movie straight away instead. I think renting might still be an option in some neighbourhoods or smaller towns but I don't see any company wanting to create a chain of small town stores - the cost would not be covered by what people rent. I don't see disc rentals disappearing overnight but I can't see any company making long-term plans with it other than maybe Redbox and things like that where you only need limited space and no real staff. It is pretty amazing though - think back even 10 years ago, renting movies from Blockbuster was a part of life. Now there are kids who will never have the experience of going to a store to look for a movie. Think of how many hidden gems you saw because you went to rent something, it wasn't there but you saw that one and thought "how bad can it be?"
Old 04-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I never got into Netflix for two reasons:

1) Disk scratches. It was bad enough when a DVD was scratched & I had to go to the rental store to try to return this, but I would have had a lot less recourse if I got something through the mail & it didn't work because of scratches.

2) The possibility of getting the wrong film/TV show that I ordered.

Agree that with new technology (streaming) & the demise of brick & mortar video rental stores, renting physical DVD's/Blu's will become (if it hasn't already) a thing of the past. That being said, my strong preference is to have a physical DVD/Blu to watch than any other format because it's more reliable - if it's not scratched. However, with DVD's & Blu's going down in price so much the last couple of years, in many cases I may just buy a Disk rather than rent this - if I can get it for a good price, of course.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-11-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #36
Banned

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I never got into Netflix for two reasons:

1) Disk scratches. It was bad enough when a DVD was scratched & I had to go to the rental store to try to return this, but I would have had a lot less recourse if I got something through the mail & it didn't work because of scratches. But for a damaged disc, I don't think you need to even return it, just report it and they send a new one that day.

2) The possibility of getting the wrong film/TV show that I ordered.

Agree that with new technology (streaming) & the demise of brick & mortar video rental stores, renting physical DVD's/Blu's will become (if it hasn't already) a thing of the past. That being said, my strong preference is to have a physical DVD/Blu to watch than any other format because it's more reliable - if it's not scratched. However, with DVD's & Blu's going down in price so much the last couple of years, in many cases I may just buy a Disk rather than rent this - if I can get it for a good price, of course.
1) They send you out a new disc. They also sent out a replacement disc for ones that never arrived (very rare). For me, turn around was 2 days. Mail it out day one, they get it on the second and send out a disc which arrived to me on day 3.

2) Never happened to me and I was a customer for years of the disc rental.

3) A legit gripe is the rental copies that studios came out with that lacked the features of the retail copy.

Your last point misses the point. Streaming services aren't substitutions for ownership, instead its like subscribing to HBO or Showtime. None of their subscribers feel the need to either buy or rent the disc of every movie on those services and the 1080p of NetFlix is better PQ than the 1080i of premium cable available from most providers because its HD Lite.

Last edited by slick1ru2; 04-16-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Agree that with new technology (streaming) & the demise of brick & mortar video rental stores, renting physical DVD's/Blu's will become (if it hasn't already) a thing of the past.
Actually streaming video via the internet (1994) preceded DVD by several years, we were streaming our main program channel to the internet in the late 90's. Netflix disc by mail started the demise of B&M disc rental. Kiosk finished off most B&M disc rental and has put a big dent in the Netflix disc by mail business.

Have had Netflix Blu-ray disc (3) by mail for many years and have very few complaints (also have the Netflix streaming).
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Actually streaming video via the internet (1994) preceded DVD by several years, we were streaming our main program channel to the internet in the late 90's. Netflix disc by mail started the demise of B&M disc rental. Kiosk finished off most B&M disc rental and has put a big dent in the Netflix disc by mail business.

Have had Netflix Blu-ray disc (3) by mail for many years and have very few complaints (also have the Netflix streaming).
I find it hard to believe that anyone with a home Internet computer connection was able to stream any kind of TV show/movie in the late '90's. You would have needed an extremely fast Internet connection to do that, and those were not available commercially at that time. So, I call bull-$#@$ on this.

Even now with a new computer & extremely fast Internet connection, I find streaming problematic at times.

Quote:
1) They send you out a new disc. They also sent out a replacement disc for ones that never arrived (very rare). For me, turn around was 2 days. Mail it out day one, they get it on the second and send out a disc which arrived to me on day 3.
Your mail service is a lot more reliable than mine; people have mailed me items I've never received, and there have also been times that packages have been mailed to me that have instead gone to a neighbor- if if weren't for the neighbor's honesty in bringing this to me, I would never have gotten the package. That's another reason I don't like doing anything via mail-order.

Quote:
Your last point misses the point. Streaming services aren't substitutions for ownership, instead its like subscribing to HBO or Showtime. None of their subscribers feel the need to either buy or rent the disc of every movie on those services and the 1080p of NetFlix is better PQ than the 1080i of premium cable available from most providers because its HD Lite.
I didn't miss the point - my point in my last post was not that people will always stream instead of owning; my point was that with streaming, renting DVD's/Blu's is not as necessary. Yes, there are lot of movies out there that people would rather stream instead of own; and, with streaming, they don't have to go through the hassle of going to a store (those that exist) or a Redbox or getting physical DVD's/Blu's through the mail.

A separate point I was trying to make in my last post was that if you want to buy a DVD these days, they're a lot cheaper than they used to be. If you can go into a Big Lots, Target, or Wal-mart and in many cases buy a DVD for $5 or less, you may do this instead of streaming - for a film you really want to own. This is a far cry from the way things were just a few short years ago; I remember back in 2007 I spent $15-20 each for the 2006 films Casino Royale & The Departed on regular DVD; I would never do that now - these days even spending $15 on a Blu is stretching it for me....

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 12-07-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #39
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I didn't miss the point - my point in my last post was not that people will always stream instead of owning; my point was that with streaming, renting DVD's/Blu's is not as necessary.
That depends on what you want to watch, how to watch it and how much you are willing to pay. For the most part SVOD services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) only has older, less valuable content. Most content with any real value is disc or PPV. The closest in quality to BD is VUDU and most newer titles in HDX is $4.99 to $5.99. My average cost per BD, via Netflix by mail disc rental is ≈ $1.92 making it much cheaper than VUDU, ATV or Amazon. None of them have lossless audio either or frame packed 3D like BD does.

VUDU made a big deal sometime back about they were going to have titles available in 7.1 with DD+. Big deal, after all this time they have 15 titles.

I use my streaming for what it is, a filler, viewed on a 32" LCD or iPad. Serious watching requires Blu-ray disc, some CBS edited prime time or PBS via AMC-21 satellite.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #40

Oct 2008
Send a message via ICQ to Spitfrnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
That depends on what you want to watch, how to watch it and how much you are willing to pay. For the most part SVOD services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) only has older, less valuable content. Most content with any real value is disc or PPV. The closest in quality to BD is VUDU and most newer titles in HDX is $4.99 to $5.99. My average cost per BD, via Netflix by mail disc rental is ≈ $1.92 making it much cheaper than VUDU, ATV or Amazon. None of them have lossless audio either or frame packed 3D like BD does.

VUDU made a big deal sometime back about they were going to have titles available in 7.1 with DD+. Big deal, after all this time they have 15 titles.

I use my streaming for what it is, a filler, viewed on a 32" LCD or iPad. Serious watching requires Blu-ray disc, some CBS edited prime time or PBS via AMC-21 satellite.
Excellent post, I agree with all of that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology