Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
15 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #41

Jan 2013

Since I watch both broadcast tv and movies in a totally blacked out tv room with a projector on a 120x51 screen, we haven't been tortured by trying to enjoy a movie in a theater since 1999, BD is the only format that looks stupendous and with a 11.2 speaker system the lossless dts-ma/dolby thd soundtrack is equally excellent, broadcast over FIOS with a TiVo looks mostly good. Vudu hdx looks ok in comparison and I use it mostly for missed tv episodes and totally depend on NF for a disc for our movies. RBs are pretty handy to us with a good selection of new releases and occasionally will trek over to get a disc, ( and back) but having a disc in the mail is zero effort since we have to get the mail anyway.

Unlike many members here though I only rent since I rarely ever watch a movie I've already seen and hence owning a disc is of little use to me.

I also am anxiously looking forward to 4K/UHD discs/media. If physical media does fade away I really hope that any streaming that replaces it has the ability to duplicate disc video quality and audio quality which isn't done now with HD and UHD/4K will be even a greater tech challenge to get that level of quality. I suspect on TVs with more normal sizes that VQ is probably barely noticeably different between hdx streaming and BD and likely even for hd upscaled to uhd/4k on the new tvs with that resolution.

But since I am very likely in a niche of the viewing audience that our habits have almost no ear from the powers that be that I think the relatively few that we are just sit and watch and hope that whatever is commercially successful will still be enjoyable in our home viewing environment.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #42

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

For movies, I use Redbox for rentals, buy some, and about twice a year stock up at the library which almost always is DVDs. Actually I haven't tried streaming anything yet. I just bought a new BD player for the basement and upgraded my FIOS internet service, so I was thinking of giving it a try. I also watch a lot of sports and some TV shows. I have a 120 inch screen and pj in a half a HT room (kid stuff takes up other half of basement) so I like getting the better quality with BD. I rarely DVR movies to watch from FIOS.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #43

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVinyl View Post
For movies, I use Redbox for rentals, buy some, and about twice a year stock up at the library which almost always is DVDs. Actually I haven't tried streaming anything yet. I just bought a new BD player for the basement and upgraded my FIOS internet service, so I was thinking of giving it a try. I also watch a lot of sports and some TV shows. I have a 120 inch screen and pj in a half a HT room (kid stuff takes up other half of basement) so I like getting the better quality with BD. I rarely DVR movies to watch from FIOS.

I have a 25/15 FIOS service and found that for Vudu HDX/HD streaming it would still be interrupted several times for a one tv program. You may already know this but I put the IP address of my BR player that has the vudu app in the DMZ of the router and last time we watched it only was interrupted once for about 15 seconds on HDX, I switched to HD and no further problems for that program. I'd much rather download and watch than deal with the streaming vagaries. I know it may take hours to do so but for me we usually make our choice of what movie we want to watch well in advance of actually sitting down to watch it. I guess for those who simply browse and decide on the spot of what they want that wouldn't work.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #44

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
I have a 25/15 FIOS service and found that for Vudu HDX/HD streaming it would still be interrupted several times for a one tv program. You may already know this but I put the IP address of my BR player that has the vudu app in the DMZ of the router and last time we watched it only was interrupted once for about 15 seconds on HDX, I switched to HD and no further problems for that program. I'd much rather download and watch than deal with the streaming vagaries. I know it may take hours to do so but for me we usually make our choice of what movie we want to watch well in advance of actually sitting down to watch it. I guess for those who simply browse and decide on the spot of what they want that wouldn't work.
Thanks jlanzy. I was going to try some streaming this summer after hoops and hockey end, and I finish watching the last BD's I bought around the holidays (yeah, I know, I'm slow). I'll try out your advice then.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
Power Member

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

I've noticed an alarming number of movies that have been available (newer movies) on Blu-ray for sometime are not available on Blu-ray from Netflix. Skyfall, for an example is DVD only. Is it the studios that are saying no to this? I can understand a catalog title being withheld so the studio can wring as much out of purchases as possible, but why are a lot of the successful titles still being withheld from rental?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #46
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcakeuf6 View Post
I've noticed an alarming number of movies that have been available (newer movies) on Blu-ray for sometime are not available on Blu-ray from Netflix. Skyfall, for an example is DVD only. Is it the studios that are saying no to this? I can understand a catalog title being withheld so the studio can wring as much out of purchases as possible, but why are a lot of the successful titles still being withheld from rental?
Not that I need it, but I just added Skyfall to my queue and it's showing as available on BD?
But to answer your question, I believe it all has to do with what kind of deal Netflix signs with the given studio. I've got ~250 titles in my queue, with another 282 in my saved list. Of those 250, only 37 are available on BD, and that included the 5 that were just bumped today(7/15/2014 availability).
This has always been Netflix's achillies heel: lack of catalog BDs. Especially from the smaller studios, which is a total shame.
Basically disc rental put them on the map, and they've done everything in their power to provide the bare minimum of support for it.
I just wish they would spin it off to someone else that would focus more time/money/energy on disc rental, because it's still a very viable business.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
Power Member

Nov 2008
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Not that I need it, but I just added Skyfall to my queue and it's showing as available on BD?
But to answer your question, I believe it all has to do with what kind of deal Netflix signs with the given studio. I've got ~250 titles in my queue, with another 282 in my saved list. Of those 250, only 37 are available on BD, and that included the 5 that were just bumped today(7/15/2014 availability).
This has always been Netflix's achillies heel: lack of catalog BDs. Especially from the smaller studios, which is a total shame.
Basically disc rental put them on the map, and they've done everything in their power to provide the bare minimum of support for it.
I just wish they would spin it off to someone else that would focus more time/money/energy on disc rental, because it's still a very viable business.
Thanks for that! Since the site changes, the Blu-ray logo seems to have disappeared from some of the title pages. I may now have to recant my complaint!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #48
Banned

Jun 2009
The South

Netflix has stopped Saturday DVD shipping, without an announcement.

http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/for...urday-shipping

Last edited by slick1ru2; 07-16-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Elmhurst, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Netflix has stopped Saturday DVD shipping, without an announcement.

http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/for...urday-shipping
Yeah, that stinks!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #50
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

I'm surprised it took this long. This has been on the table for quite a while.
I barely even notice the difference, and I still burn through a few hundred BDs a year on my 3-disc plan.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

I'm already in the habit of dropping any Netflix rentals off at my local post office no later than Wednesday week to week, the next several in my queue being delivered by Friday. Will note as well that for the better part of the past year the discs I've rented from Netflix have arrived in pristine physical condition. Can't even remember the last time I had a disc which was cracked or had playback issues much less marks or fingerprints for that matter.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #52
Banned

Jun 2009
The South

I wonder what the real number of DVD subscribers is because one article says over 8 million, quoting Business Insider, but this one says 6.7 million. That is like half the number of only 3 years ago. Must be because they no longer advertise or promote it so they don't replace members that drop off.

http://recode.net/2014/07/15/netflix...little-faster/
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I'm already in the habit of dropping any Netflix rentals off at my local post office no later than Wednesday week to week, the next several in my queue being delivered by Friday. Will note as well that for the better part of the past year the discs I've rented from Netflix have arrived in pristine physical condition. Can't even remember the last time I had a disc which was cracked or had playback issues much less marks or fingerprints for that matter.
I've cycled through so many BDs on my 3-disc plan, that the BD portion of my queue which was hovering around 90 BDs, is down to under 30. That's with, what seems like, more of the films I select being released on BD. So without a doubt I am getting my money's worth, and will enjoy the heck out of the service.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #54

Jan 2013

Quote:

Same here, I've been renting from NF since 2001, mostly one a week, and I only had maybe 2 or 3 discs that wouldn't play because of a software issue update with my player, not because of any physical damage to the disc. A few would hang at a certain point, but cleaning the disc always fixed it. I just hope they get 4K/uhd discs once the specs are settled and new releases become available.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
That depends on what you want to watch, how to watch it and how much you are willing to pay. For the most part SVOD services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) only has older, less valuable content. Most content with any real value is disc or PPV. The closest in quality to BD is VUDU and most newer titles in HDX is $4.99 to $5.99. My average cost per BD, via Netflix by mail disc rental is ≈ $1.92 making it much cheaper than VUDU, ATV or Amazon. None of them have lossless audio either or frame packed 3D like BD does.
Yes, it does all depend. In my case, unless I'm really into a movie I would rather stream this than try to rent it, or buy it. Many of the films I like watching are obscure and aren't on Blu yet, and the DVD's may be OOP...

And, as I mentioned in my previous post, getting Disc's through the mail with Netflix (or another mail order rental place) is iffy. If the Disc is lost in the mail (either on it's way to me, or on it's way back to the sender) and/or if the Disc comes scratched & is therefore unwatchable (or only watchable in certain parts), then the Disc rental service is useless to me. And, I can't be the only one with such concerns.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-13-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
And, as I mentioned in my previous post, getting Disc's through the mail with Netflix (or another mail order rental place) is iffy. If the Disc is lost in the mail (either on it's way to me, or on it's way back to the sender) and/or if the Disc comes scratched & is therefore unwatchable (or only watchable in certain parts), then the Disc rental service is useless to me. And, I can't be the only one with such concerns.
In my experience there's nothing "iffy" with respects to getting discs through the mail with Netflix (who by February 2007 had already announced its one billionth DVD delivery) and this is coming from someone that has been renting discs from Netflix for close to 13 years now or so. In all that time I've literally only had two discs which got lost in the mail, one that was on the way to me and another I had mailed back to them. Was a simple matter of selecting the disc from my queue and reporting the issue, in both cases not being charged for the given disc getting lost in the mail, the next available selection from my queue getting mailed out to me the following day. I've also had around 20 discs over the course of the past 13 years or so which arrived damaged and unplayable due to being either scratched or cracked. That's less than 2 discs a year over a 13 year period. Hardly makes the service useless to me, much less a reason to be concerned.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
In my experience there's nothing "iffy" with respects to getting discs through the mail with Netflix (who by February 2007 had already announced its one billionth DVD delivery) and this is coming from someone that has been renting discs from Netflix for close to 13 years now or so. In all that time I've literally only had two discs which got lost in the mail, one that was on the way to me and another I had mailed back to them. Was a simple matter of selecting the disc from my queue and reporting the issue, in both cases not being charged for the given disc getting lost in the mail, the next available selection from my queue getting mailed out to me the following day. I've also had around 20 discs over the course of the past 13 years or so which arrived damaged and unplayable due to being either scratched or cracked. That's less than 2 discs a year over a 13 year period. Hardly makes the service useless to me, much less a reason to be concerned.
I can pretty much guarentee you that if you lived where I do, you would NOT subscribe to Netflix or any disk rental mail-order service. As I've mentioned in several places on this board, I have had numerous items mis-delivered to neighbors and/or lost in the mail. I would be especially concerned with something like Netflix in which I would be ordering disks on a very regular basis. And, the more items you get through the mail, it's stastistically more likely that at least some of them will get lost/mis-delivered.

And, I'm not sure why disk scratches/cracks are acceptable, even if they only happen 1-2 times a year. I had to put up with that when I rented disks at my local Blockbuster, and I was always irritated that they didn't remove scratched/cracked disks from circulation. Obviously they didn't do this because they were cheap, and this was an extremely poor business practice.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-14-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #58
Power Member

Nov 2008
-
-

Anyone else having serious delays with Netflix shipping? I called them about it and was told it was a Post Office issue due to closings of distribution centers. They said they have a plan to speed things up, but wouldn't say what it was. They also said that the USPS has said things will return to normal "soon". I am now getting half the discs per month that I was getting a few months ago. Turn around last week for a disc was 6 days! Until recently, I was able to report the delay of the return to Netflix and they would ship the next disc out immediately. Now they have extended the return shipping delay time before you can report it to them.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Above the Convenience Store

I've had a few discs arrive a day later than promised, but that's about it.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #60
Power Member

Nov 2008
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSin View Post
I've had a few discs arrive a day later than promised, but that's about it.
That's how it started for me a couple months ago, and it's gotten worse. I may be in a bad part of the country and being more affected by the postal delays.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology