Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
5 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
Thumbs up LG's new OLED TVs

Just placed my PO for LG's complete OLED TV line-up and two models are shipping today to our NY Showroom. Both are 55", one curved and one flat series, 55EA8800 and the EA559800.

The newer series, 55EA8800 is flat (not curved) and is designed to look like a art with stunning museum quality famous paintings pre-loaded on its built-in chip. The images are shockingly beautiful and look like the real art that would grace any home.

-Robert

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 03-18-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Banned

Mar 2014

It's really annoying that they keep making all OLED sets that size or bigger. I need 50 or less. I'm glad they have a flat one, though.

I see now the one from last year dropped another grand so everyone is selling it for $6k now. I'm very tempted to wait and get an OLED rather than finding a used 101fd. But price and size are the issues. If they would make a 47 inch, for example, then BOTH the size and price would be lower and it would be great.

What problems do OLED sets suffer from so far? Seems like I heard they are even more susceptible to burn in than plasmas?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Just about to board the plane back to NY, but wanted to post the 77" 4K OLED TV price...... $24,999, which is $5k less than expected. Delivery is late August. No price for the 65" at this moment and delivery is a little later than the 77" so likely September. Price may be announced at CE Week's June NYC convention.

FYI the 55" flat OLED has an ultra thin bezel so I expect it will have a smaller footprint than most 50" TVs. The OLED TV can be removed from the Gallery frame and would look like all display as the bezel is so very thin.

I have some video and still shots to post on my Facebook page tomorrow.

-Robert
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (04-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for the update, Robert!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

In about 1/2 hour my video of LG's new Gallery flat OLED TV will be up at Vimeo. Check it out!

-Robert
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (04-20-2016)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Our first allocation arrived yesterday from CA and we wall mounted one in our showroom today. LG's new OLED Gallery edition is the most stunning display and far exceeds the overall picture quality of all other TVs by a very very large margin.

You must see this display to believe it's assume performance. LG was smart to pre-load top quality professional photography of the world's greatest art.

We now have all three OLED TVs in one of our store demo rooms and our clients are hanging out with mouths open for longer than we have ever had customers in our store just memorized by the beauty. Husbands and wives are bringing in spouses to see these OLED TVs.

BTW, the built-in audio is the excellent.

-Robert

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 03-28-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: fixed typo. I'm so excited I forgot to proof read my post
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #7

Feb 2010

Robert, gallery oled is mountable correct?

I have this BDI tv stand:
http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/odeon_9940.shtml

I was wondering if it can be mounted on it even without the picture frame.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Yes, LG's EA8800 Gallery edition can be removed from the frame and wall mounted or mounted on your BDI Odeon 8840.

You will need an auxiliary audio system as the amplifier and speakers are built-into the frame system.

-Robert
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Thanks for the update Robert. Now if only Sony would get in the OLED game.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I agree, but since LG owns the pattens on WRGB I don't think we'll see any other OLED manufacturers until we see OLED Ink Jet technology come to fruition, which is two to three years away.

I'm thankful we have LG to blaze the trail and bring us their stunning OLED displays.

-Robert
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #11

Sep 2006
Alberta

What is the expected lifespan of these TV's?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2014

Robert, you should give me an OLED for free, just for no reason on your part....

Do you have any knowledge of an OLED smaller than 55 inches coming out this year or next year? I know they are finally having some smaller UHD LED sets, so maybe soon they'll have smaller OLED.

In an NCAA bracket contest, I have a reasonable chance of winning $10k so would likely buy one if it were smaller.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Are you going to have the kuro and VT/ZT at the shootout this year, Robert? It would be good to compare the last best plasmas ever made to OLED.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Banned

Mar 2014

Thanks, Robert. Now Wisconsin screwed me over so I guess I won't be winning enough for an OLED. lol. I "may" still be able to win $1k, but even if true, that wouldn't help much.

I really "want" a tv around 46-50 inches. The width isn't a problem as far as fitting it. It's that the room it's in only gives me like 7 feet of distance to get away from the screen and even then, due to my bad vision, I usually sit closer than that. Up until the past few years, I was using a 40 inch. Then I tried a lot of tvs, with almost all bothering my head, and the bigger the screen the more it does it, I think.

I would be tempted to get a 40, though. Too bad it's a professional model. I've seen even for computer monitors, for example, the price is a lot more for ones considered professional and I still am deciding whether or not to get an NEC professional model. As far as the OLED, if they would ever make a 40 inch OLED for down around $4k, I would maybe buy it, even though I would "rather" it be around 46 inches. I a guessing they will make one aimed at consumers sooner than later, since they would already have experience at that size.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Are you going to have the kuro and VT/ZT at the shootout this year, Robert? It would be good to compare the last best plasmas ever made to OLED.
No final decision yet, but, we'll have one or possibly two of the following PDPs, KRP-500M, 65" VT60 or the PN64F8500. We'll also be testing LG's 60PH6700.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogMeIn View Post
Thanks, Robert. Now Wisconsin screwed me over so I guess I won't be winning enough for an OLED. lol. I "may" still be able to win $1k, but even if true, that wouldn't help much.

I really "want" a tv around 46-50 inches. The width isn't a problem as far as fitting it. It's that the room it's in only gives me like 7 feet of distance to get away from the screen and even then, due to my bad vision, I usually sit closer than that. Up until the past few years, I was using a 40 inch. Then I tried a lot of tvs, with almost all bothering my head, and the bigger the screen the more it does it, I think.

I would be tempted to get a 40, though. Too bad it's a professional model. I've seen even for computer monitors, for example, the price is a lot more for ones considered professional and I still am deciding whether or not to get an NEC professional model. As far as the OLED, if they would ever make a 40 inch OLED for down around $4k, I would maybe buy it, even though I would "rather" it be around 46 inches. I a guessing they will make one aimed at consumers sooner than later, since they would already have experience at that size.
Sorry to be a pest, but I still strongly recommend a 55" OLED for you. The recommended viewing distance for any 55" TV is 7" and many folks enjoy viewing a 55" display from 5'. OLED is the right technology for you and 55" is definitely not too large.

-Robert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Banned

Mar 2014

Thanks for the input. It's possible because I tried a 55 inch LG a couple years ago and in some ways didn't think it was too big. I do think, at least with plasma, that the bigger the size, the more it made my weird head issues get worse, though, so I'd just have to see. I wonder if the LG 2013 model will be around for a while where maybe it would drop down to $4-$5k.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 AM   #17

Jul 2009
Florence Y'all

Very interesting to see the updates Robert. I was too late to order a KRP-600M from you (sourced anyway), but your dedication to videophiles prompted me to pick up a BDI Revo 9980 from your store. I think I will be ready to jump when we get to passive 3D/4K OLED >60" for $15K. Hopefully next year!

By the way, the KRP-600M uses 6x the watts as my bro's 55" LCD. I'm looking forward to a cooler future with OLED, Class D amps and CFL lighting.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
Banned

Mar 2014

I still keep wishing I could find a perfectly working 500m or 101fd to last me until oled. So far only 101fd I can find someone to sell me is a couple states away.

Robert, do you have an idea of price on the 40 inch OLED where I can get an idea just ho expensive? The professional 40 is more expensive than consumer 55?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Thanks (W)KRP (:

LogMeIn, I'll get the price of Sony's new 40" professional OLED display at next week's NAB convention and post it here. It will be very expensive as all professional monitors are built to very high standards and production is very constrained as the pro market is much smaller than consumer.

-Robert
Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Banned

Mar 2014

Thanks! Well, if nothing else, it's good to see Sony coming out with any OLED at all, whether it's what I could buy or not.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Tags
ea8800, ea9800, lg oled tv