Best Anime Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63
18 hrs ago
FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19
2 hrs ago
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82
6 hrs ago
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Mazinger Z: Infinity (Blu-ray)
$16.55
22 hrs ago
Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato  Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Outlaw Star: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.88

Phoenix: Perfect Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.03

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Time to wake this thread backup... Even though I dislike anime on DVD, I had to grab this one...

I just snagged a brand new/sealed copy of Planetes 6-DVD Complete Collection for $59/free shipping, bestest price I've seen for this title even for many used copies, over the last year or two... It's a total blind-buy for me, but this one does have a reputation...

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 12-31-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Thanks given by:
Pequod (04-05-2016), Thomas Guycott (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #22

Oct 2014

I picked up the DBZ rock the dragon thing when it came out...

Honestly it's great to watch old stuff like that on a tube...I still watch DBZ, yuyu hakusho and kenshin on my Magnavox....it's awesome!!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfs View Post
I picked up the DBZ rock the dragon thing when it came out...

Honestly it's great to watch old stuff like that on a tube...I still watch DBZ, yuyu hakusho and kenshin on my Magnavox....it's awesome!!
Haha, man, you are waxing nostalgic, aren't you?! I haven't owned a Standard Def tube TV for 8 years now, so I can't even try that if I wanted to - and I don't really miss a tube one bit... I have a now-fairly-small 52" flat screen in my living room, but my main viewer is a 120" HD projection screen with active 3D, downstairs in my theater room... Unfortunately, DVDs do look somewhat fuzzy on such a big screen - I keep wanting to try focusing the projector all the time! But man, watching an HD anime on Blu-ray on that screen is simply glorious!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Time to wake this thread backup... Even though I dislike anime on DVD, I had to grab this one...

I just snagged a brand new/sealed copy of Planetes 6-DVD Complete Collection for $59/free shipping, bestest price I've seen for this title even for many used copies, over the last year or two... It's a total blind-buy for me, but this one does have a reputation...

NICE. I totally love that show.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
NICE. I totally love that show.
Good to hear, good to hear... I have decided I will definitely like it!!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
Special Member

Apr 2010

Planetes is pretty great. I've been putting off a rewatch for years. I should get on that.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #27

Oct 2014

Quote:
Haha, man, you are waxing nostalgic, aren't you?! I haven't owned a Standard Def tube TV for 8 years now, so I can't even try that if I wanted to - and I don't really miss a tube one bit... I have a now-fairly-small 52" flat screen in my living room, but my main viewer is a 120" HD projection screen with active 3D, downstairs in my theater room... Unfortunately, DVDs do look somewhat fuzzy on such a big screen - I keep wanting to try focusing the projector all the time! But man, watching an HD anime on Blu-ray on that screen is simply glorious!

It's got the DVD/VHS combo....how could I get rid of it?

Let's hope the sizing of that isn't horrible...

I just like watching the older stuff on it. Honestly I'm happy to keep my DVDs for that type of stuff. I'm always afraid they're going to change the coloring and make the picture brighter or more vibrant in newer releases. Just not a fan of things looking or sounding too perfect (this goes for music too).I don't know maybe I'm weird, it's just that taking away that washed out look can remove some of the character of the show for me.

Sidenote: I'll also be holding onto my Gurren Lagann DVDs, most likely forever. I hate the way Aniplex prices and I refuse to buy anything they sell...

Last edited by Snarfs; 11-10-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Ha! look at that - a CRT!

Actually, my parents still have a 25" tube TV, so there's always that... but I won't be watching anime at their house ever, they don't even have a working DVD player any more... ah well. So, new technology it is, then, for me!

And, sorry but, I refuse to buy Gurren Lagann because... well, because it's Gurren Lagann... ugh.

Well, I'm sure I'll buy a few more anime DVD during the holiday sales, as there are a few good ones I'd still like to get yet, and more I probably don't even know about yet - so it's probably good timing reviving this thread for everyone to post up DVD purchases during the sales!

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 11-10-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2014

I have no problem buying anime on DVD, heck cause of the price sometimes I prefer it. I only own a handful of anime on BR.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfs View Post
[Show spoiler]

It's got the DVD/VHS combo....how could I get rid of it?

Let's hope the sizing of that isn't horrible...

I just like watching the older stuff on it. Honestly I'm happy to keep my DVDs for that type of stuff. I'm always afraid they're going to change the coloring and make the picture brighter or more vibrant in newer releases. Just not a fan of things looking or sounding too perfect (this goes for music too).I don't know maybe I'm weird, it's just that taking away that washed out look can remove some of the character of the show for me.

Sidenote: I'll also be holding onto my Gurren Lagann DVDs, most likely forever. I hate the way Aniplex prices and I refuse to buy anything they sell...
Quote:
Ha! look at that - a CRT!

Actually, my parents still have a 25" tube TV, so there's always that... but I won't be watching anime at their house ever, they don't even have a working DVD player any more... ah well. So, new technology it is, then, for me!

And, sorry but, I refuse to buy Gurren Lagann because... well, because it's Gurren Lagann... ugh.

Well, I'm sure I'll buy a few more anime DVD during the holiday sales, as there are a few good ones I'd still like to get yet, and more I probably don't even know about yet - so it's probably good timing reviving this thread for everyone to post up DVD purchases during the sales!
I have a 34" CRT HDTV in the solorium. All my SDTVs died, I didn't replace them until they broke and I had to. My last SDTV finally died in Sept. of 2013.

The light zapper for the NES only works on CRTs, so I hope the 34" I have never dies, or I won't be able to play Duck Hunt anymore.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #31

Dec 2009

Anyone getting the Amazon Exclusive for One Piece?

http://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-Coll...0F07J3A5PVMHKP
Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Anyone getting the Amazon Exclusive for One Piece?
I went to college with a jackass whose favorite anime was One Piece. A couple of years ago, he stole my girlfriend. Now I can't watch the show without thinking of him and getting angry again. He basically ruined the show for me.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #33

Dec 2009

I've had that happen before sort of. A friend of mine dated my GF right after we broke up. That was a long time ago back in High School. I'm not a big fan of the show as I really don't like Shonen but it is a nice exclusive. Would rather it be on blu ray if anything.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I went to college with a jackass whose favorite anime was One Piece. A couple of years ago, he stole my girlfriend. Now I can't watch the show without thinking of him and getting angry again. He basically ruined the show for me.
If it makes you feel any better, I never liked One Piece in the first place.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

One Piece... Of crap!
Thanks given by:
UseY0ur1llusi0n (12-31-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #36

Dec 2014
Philadelphia

I'm wondering if Tenchi Muyo TV (Tenchi Universe) and GXP will ever be released on blu-ray. I've been eyeing both the DVD sets on rightstuf for some time.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
One Piece... Of crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I never liked One Piece in the first place.
Let me guess you each watched about 5 episodes before deceding to give up on it.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:58 AM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I'm wondering if Tenchi Muyo TV (Tenchi Universe) and GXP will ever be released on blu-ray. I've been eyeing both the DVD sets on rightstuf for some time.
Universe, Tokyo and Ryo-Ohki probably. GXP... not so much at least not in America. It wasn't very popular on Toonami and Funimation Channel and has had a S.A.V.E. release. I enjoyed the series way before it aired on American TV even if the actual Tenchi Muyo characters are more just in the series just for a brief fan-service. There's also some spin-off series that I don't expect a Blu-ray release for.

But for now, the only non-OVA/or movie on Blu-ray in America is the War on Geminar.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #39
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Let me guess you each watched about 5 episodes before deceding to give up on it.
I realize it has many episodes, I stepped into the middle of the series and didn't think too much of the three episodes I gave it. I wasn't the biggest fan of its animation design, either.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #40

Dec 2014
Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Universe, Tokyo and Ryo-Ohki probably. GXP... not so much at least not in America. It wasn't very popular on Toonami and Funimation Channel and has had a S.A.V.E. release. I enjoyed the series way before it aired on American TV even if the actual Tenchi Muyo characters are more just in the series just for a brief fan-service. There's also some spin-off series that I don't expect a Blu-ray release for.

But for now, the only non-OVA/or movie on Blu-ray in America is the War on Geminar.
Thank you. I may have to pick up GXP on DVD then. Hulu has the first four subbed episodes up and I've been enjoying the series so far. I would have the worst luck of buying the DVDs months before the blu-ray releases being announced. Slayers and Slayers Next are also on my list to get but waiting to hear blu announcements.

Now what to do with the VHS versions stuffed away in my parents' basement...

Last edited by Wally West; 12-31-2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Had more to add
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime