Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
NHL 20 (Xbox One)
$33.99

Control (Xbox One)
$44.75

Wreckfest (Xbox One)
$29.99

Farming Simulator 19 (Xbox One)
$29.99

The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour (Xbox One)
$14.99

Wreckfest (Xbox One)
$52.99

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Xbox One)
$32.75

F1 2019 (Xbox One)
$44.99
20 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap - Roadtrip (Xbox One)
$32.88

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (Xbox One)
$29.99

Anthem (Xbox One)
$9.99

Hitman 2 (Xbox One)
$21.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
Default Xbox One soon to be Backwards Compatible with Xbox 360

E3 2015: XBOX ONE BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY UPDATE ENABLES 360, XBLA

Quote:
During the today's E3 Xbox Conference, Xbox Head Phil Spencer confirmed Xbox One will support backward compatibility.

With over 100 titles available by this holiday, and more coming in the future, retail disks will also work with the Xbox One.

Digital downloads will start showing up automatically in your game library. Still need to download the game when using your Xbox 360 disks.

Developers and publishers just need to approve what titles work with backwards compatibility.

Xbox One backward compatibility is available now for preview members and everyone this holiday.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...paign=Blogroll

- Works with Discs
- Works with Downloads
- 100s of games
- Publishers need to approve but no work or cost required
- No need to rebuy
- Supports firmware stuff like screenshots.

Last edited by Mavrick; 06-15-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (06-16-2015), Mavrick (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Try to have a bit more meat to ad to the story when creating new posts.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

PS Now is now totally worthless.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrickG View Post
Wow, no shit. This all kind of goes back to some of the all digital things MS got blasted for during the X1 reveal.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Yep, I don't see why anyone would pay money to play PS3 games, especially the prices they are charging to rent them.

This is what Sony should have done from the start. But I guess they were more interested on putting PS on to things like TVs.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Quote:
Hopefully Sony ups their game too... that or allows free access to the games you own.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Admittedly I still don't think BC means as much as some hardcore gamers would like to make it believe, but it should easily put those at ease who are held back on making transition.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

The big question is:

How is the emulation being done?! Is it totally software or streaming?

I honestly expect it will be a mixture of both. You will get the assets from the disc and the game engine will be run on Live.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
The big question is:

I honestly expect it will be a mixture of both. You will get the assets from the disc and the game engine will be run on Live.
What? It'll be totally on the console emulation. They wouldn't want to muck something like this up with latency for no reason. Not to mention if the "engine is running on XBL" (which is incomprehensible and probably impossible), that means people would get booted from their games when the internet shits.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
What? It'll be totally on the console emulation. They wouldn't want to muck something like this up with latency for no reason. Not to mention if the "engine is running on XBL" (which is incomprehensible and probably impossible), that means people would get booted from their games when the internet shits.
Right but it wont be running directly from 360 discs, don't you have to use the disc to get a digital version?

I'm sure we'll know the facts once the pressers finished.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Right but it wont be running directly from 360 discs, don't you have to use the disc to get a digital version?

I'm sure we'll know the facts once the pressers finished.
Yes, but it says nothing about streaming anything from XBL. It simply uses the disc as an ID check to allow you to then download the full game digitally. That goes in line with their all digital wishes and keeps you from having to keep disks in the drive. So from what it sounds like is it reads the disc, verifies it, lets you download a full digital copy. The main question is how often would you need to reinsert the disc to verify? They'd have to have something in place to keep people from renting 360 games, getting the download and taking the game back but yet you certainly don't want to have people swapping discs all the time when they change games.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
The big question is:

It seems to be native, but you will have to download at least the executable code. Maybe even the full game.

So it seems to be the game recompiled for the Bone. Definitely no streaming involved. And also no actual emulation involved. It's recompiled. So like Xbox1 "backward compatibility" on 360. Better than nothing, but I prefer hardware backward compatibility (because well simply all my Wii games work on Wii U including digital purchases including Gamecube games via homebrew w/o any glitches or issues). I'm sure there will be issues like with the 360 "bc". Still better than nothing. And surely better than renting your games and playing them via streaming.

Quote:
Admittedly I still don't think BC means as much as some hardcore gamers would like to make it believe, but it should easily put those at ease who are held back on making transition.
Wii U having full hardware backward compatibility was one of the reasons why I bought it. And one of the reasons why I at least buy a few games digitally on Wii/Wii U as well. And one of the reasons why I'm skipping on PS4 altogether. Sony half-assed backward compatibility even right at release in Europe. BC in PS3 was around $25 of hardware parts. It's really a shame after Sony did it so well during the PS2 days.

I own lots and lots of games and I don't want to have 10 consoles around. So for the type of customers, that should be important to those companies, it's kinda a big deal. For the people, who buy 5 games during the whole generation it's surely not.

Last edited by jimidini; 06-15-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #13
Special Member

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

I read that BC starts today for preview program users.

This is incredibly awesome news for me since I never owned a 360 and was actually thinking about buying one used.

I would love, love, love to get an invite to the preview program if anyone out there is a member!

My gamertag is cseunuch.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
It seems to be native, but you will have to download at least the executable code. Maybe even the full game.

Xbox One - Backward Compatibility Gameplay (Mass Effect) - YouTube

So it seems to be the game recompiled for the Bone. Definitely no streaming involved. And also no actual emulation involved. It's recompiled. So like Xbox1 "backward compatibility" on 360. Better than nothing, but I prefer hardware backward compatibility (because well simply all my Wii games work on Wii U including digital purchases including Gamecube games via homebrew w/o any glitches or issues). I'm sure there will be issues like with the 360 "bc". Still better than nothing. And surely better than renting your games and playing them via streaming.

Wii U having full hardware backward compatibility was one of the reasons why I bought it. And one of the reasons why I at least buy a few games digitally on Wii/Wii U as well. And one of the reasons why I'm skipping on PS4 altogether. Sony half-assed backward compatibility even right at release in Europe. BC in PS3 was around $25 of hardware parts. It's really a shame after Sony did it so well during the PS2 days.

I own lots and lots of games and I don't want to have 10 consoles around. So for the type of customers, that should be important to those companies, it's kinda a big deal. For the people, who buy 5 games during the whole generation it's surely not.
BC is a nice bulletpoint and is a big deal, but game changer it is not. If this had been a feature at launch then it would have been a gamechanger.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

MS came out swinging this year, honestly this backward compatibility is enough to make me seriously look at getting a X1 now.
Thanks given by:
Reeper1976 (06-17-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jul 2012
Quebec, Canada

I was initially excited about this, but I am concerned about which games are compatible. I hope the Dead Rising series is. It looks like Microsoft's franchises are there (Gears, Halo, etc.).

EDIT: I found the initial list for the preview program. It's very small, hopefully they have considerably more near release:

[Show spoiler]Banjo Kazooie: N n B
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piņata
Viva Piņata: TIP

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/b...vailable-games

Last edited by leburn98; 06-15-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

omfg so happy

so buy the digital versions for 360 and wait for them to be released on x1?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by leburn98 View Post
I was initially excited about this, but I am concerned about which games are compatible. I hope the Dead Rising series is. It looks like Microsoft's franchises are there (Gears, Halo, etc.).

EDIT: I found the initial list for the preview program. It's very small, hopefully they have considerably more near release:

[Show spoiler]Banjo Kazooie: N n B
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piņata
Viva Piņata: TIP

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/b...vailable-games
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 and 2 are both going to be compatible as is Fallout 3. They were both mentioned during the conference. There's also a few more in this picture that aren't on the list:

I'd be interested in getting an invite for the preview program if anyone is offering. My GT is Shining Light.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

just gimme mass effect and dragon age

the list of games should grow soon, all the publishers need to do is allow a game for it to be available

and I don't see why publishers wouldn't allow it unless they're planning remasters, this gives their old games a second life

Last edited by Tony208; 06-15-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

I'd be stoked to finally get to play Alan Wake, I love horror games.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One