Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steins;Gate 0 - Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

It has arrived at TRSI!

Thanks given by:
pikagreg (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:22 AM   #22
Power Member

Nov 2013
O Fallon, Missouri

This series good? I'm going in blind .
Old 01-28-2017, 01:26 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

I think it's a great show, and definitely one of my favorite Clamp titles. This'll be my fourth time purchasing it....
Old 01-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

I think the series is a must if you like fantasy.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:06 AM   #25

Nov 2011
United States

For me, it would be a "watch before purchase" kinda thing. Some older anime series may not be as enjoyable unless you're already familiar with it and some older dubs may not be the best either. Just depends. I'm familiar with MKRE, and even once played the Super Nintendo game, but I've only ever seen a few episodes and that was years ago.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #26
Banned

Jan 2014

It's a f*****g good series-it'll be my second time buying it.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
Banned

Jan 2014

It's out-mine shipped today-hooray!!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #28

Nov 2011
United States

Any chance for screencaps?

Sadly, Discotek never released a promo video.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 AM   #29
Banned

Jan 2014

Got my set today-it has 49 episodes on 6 discs-the japanese set is on 7 discs so very little loss (if any) of pq. The japanese set has an extra dvd that the MKR ova is on.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #30

Apr 2014

For those who are familiar with this series, a question about the show's content: would you say that the tone and maturity is more like Escaflowne or Sailor Moon?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #31
Banned

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshitaka View Post
For those who are familiar with this series, a question about the show's content: would you say that the tone and maturity is more like Escaflowne or Sailor Moon?
Well-it's from Clamp-think Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits or RG Veda, very early Clamp. It has serious elements, comedy (think lots of chibi). It has shonen & shoujo elements-to answer your question it leans heavily toward the Sailor Moon side-but remember the series is from Clamp!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Did the dub age well? lol
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #33
Banned

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikagreg View Post
Did the dub age well? lol
It's as good as I remember it being-as I like dubs the sub only elites will scream bloody murder-but who cares? The dub fits the series and I've never watched in in japanese and won't. You pays your money and makes your choice.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmyhfan View Post
Any chance for screencaps?
Sensuifu from Fandom Post to the rescue: link.

He also noticed that some episodes of the dub appear to be in dual mono, which I believe is due to the source. The early episodes always sounded like they were recorded on low quality equipment, so I'm not surprised there were mixing errors.

Last edited by Nostalgic Twilight; 02-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
ThisIsJonny (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #35
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

1 thing I did notice on the old Anime Works DVDs was that the Extras that showed the English Dub cast I could barely even hear what they were saying.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #36
Banned

Jan 2014

Yeah-those were kind of muffled. Since I have the old dvds I put on Wendee Lee's interview and it was muffled just like the bluray which leads me to believe that audio issues are source related.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Any comps for this series? I've never seen it.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
Banned

Jan 2014

Straight from the horse's mouth-We went back to the master tapes for the dub audio, and spent a lot of time trying to fix the dropouts and things. For those episodes, that's how they are on the master. As you can see, the original Media Blasters set was like that as well. The OPs + EDs are in stereo on those episodes because we had to pull these from the Japanese audio; on the original master tapes they used the dub versions of the ops + eds, but opening 2 didn't exist dubbed (neither did the Primera WHO IS IT??? which is why those are subtitled on the dub track), so we had to restore the JP ops and include the english ones as an extra.

We don't generally fiddle with the leveling of Japanese vs. English unless there's a giant disparity or some kind of problem. The Japanese is as-is from the masters/JP BD Box, and the English is as it was presented originally. There is one dub episode where the op+ed ended up a little bit louder (but not blown out or anything - it's just a bit louder than the rest of the episode) that I wish we would've fixed, but at 49+ episodes you can't catch everything in time. It's hardly a show stopper and not technically an error, just something that bothered me.

Re: 16 vs 24bit. The English dub master tapes were only 16bit, and what we received for the Japanese audio was sent as 24bit. So that's why they're like that. I imagine the Japanese audio isn't true 24bit but we had the bandwidth so left it alone.

As for the video, I have no idea what that review is talking about. This show is 16mm IIRC, so it's going to be grainy. For the budget of the show, it's very nice to my eyes and other than a few fixes the PQ matches the Japanese release. Two things we did fix were a.) the first opening now uses the final animation instead of the unfinished animation that is on the JP boxset. b.) there is an episode later on (19 or 20... maybe 18?) that includes flashback scenes. In the HD masters these were upscaled and even in SD you could tell they were lower quality, so we instead went back to the original episodes and pulled all the proper scenes in HD.
The animation quality really varies, and in HD it's not going to look better than that. This is about as close to the source as you can get.
Thanks given by:
pikagreg (02-05-2017), ThisIsJonny (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #39

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
Straight from the horse's mouth-We went back to the master tapes for the dub audio, and spent a lot of time trying to fix the dropouts and things. For those episodes, that's how they are on the master. As you can see, the original Media Blasters set was like that as well. The OPs + EDs are in stereo on those episodes because we had to pull these from the Japanese audio; on the original master tapes they used the dub versions of the ops + eds, but opening 2 didn't exist dubbed (neither did the Primera WHO IS IT??? which is why those are subtitled on the dub track), so we had to restore the JP ops and include the english ones as an extra.

We don't generally fiddle with the leveling of Japanese vs. English unless there's a giant disparity or some kind of problem. The Japanese is as-is from the masters/JP BD Box, and the English is as it was presented originally. There is one dub episode where the op+ed ended up a little bit louder (but not blown out or anything - it's just a bit louder than the rest of the episode) that I wish we would've fixed, but at 49+ episodes you can't catch everything in time. It's hardly a show stopper and not technically an error, just something that bothered me.

Re: 16 vs 24bit. The English dub master tapes were only 16bit, and what we received for the Japanese audio was sent as 24bit. So that's why they're like that. I imagine the Japanese audio isn't true 24bit but we had the bandwidth so left it alone.

As for the video, I have no idea what that review is talking about. This show is 16mm IIRC, so it's going to be grainy. For the budget of the show, it's very nice to my eyes and other than a few fixes the PQ matches the Japanese release. Two things we did fix were a.) the first opening now uses the final animation instead of the unfinished animation that is on the JP boxset. b.) there is an episode later on (19 or 20... maybe 18?) that includes flashback scenes. In the HD masters these were upscaled and even in SD you could tell they were lower quality, so we instead went back to the original episodes and pulled all the proper scenes in HD.
The animation quality really varies, and in HD it's not going to look better than that. This is about as close to the source as you can get.
In case anyone is wondering, here's a link to what zrdb is referring to.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...l=1#post394125
Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #40
Banned

Jan 2014

I've noticed a couple of hiccups on disc 3 in a few episodes where the video and audio will hang for a second and then resume. It's gotta be a disc authoring problem.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime