Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: A Dog's Purpose $8.99 (20% claimed)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (5 hours left)
Soon: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #4061
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
*hands up*

B8 here, but don't want to pay for calibration when I can get pretty damned close to those picture goals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit this. I know it's not 100% but it's all about context. It's a TV sat in a living room, with various environmental factors changing throughout the day (lighting, etc). Some stuff like OLED light for SDR material has had to be a compromise to work for both sun streaming in the windows and dim light in the evening. If I had a dedicated theatre room, I could well convince myself it would then become worth it where pinpoint accurate settings like target nits would work all of the time.

Look, I know I'm not going to be able to get complete accuracy on luma levels and chroma balance by eye but I believe a combination of eyesight, experience, advice from others can get close enough as dammit for my viewing conditions. I also trust my eyes more than cheap calibration tech aimed at the amateur market.

It's up to an individual to decide for themselves really based on their individual circumstances and preferences. The only thing that annoys me are the handful of people here who act like if you're TV isn't professionally calibrated, your opinions aren't worth salt. I'm not pointing fingers but I think it'll be obvious who they are.

I'm not saying I'll never go for professional calibration either. But why is amateur calibration such a bad word? Often the amateurs can give strong work, the difference is one is the hobbyist, the other does it as a job.
One should never trust one's own eyes when it comes to calibration (you might think it looks right, but in reality, it's wrong). Also, If it's going to get done, I want it done right (not close). If you want to spend days on end fiddling with the TV's settings instead of enjoying it at the set's best, more power to you. But honestly, I (and I think I speak for others on here) I want to enjoy my set looking at it's best ASAP and professional calibration is the way (obviously after the break in period for OLED and plasma of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobelowpar View Post
Hey OLED thread.
Looks like I'm picking mine up tonight. Just deciding between 65 B8 or 55 C8... $700 difference.
Can someone please advise whether I need new HDMI cables to support HDR/Dolby Vision through my ATV4K and UHD player? I have an LG UBK80.
For that price difference, get the B8 and use the difference to get it professionally calibrated (after the break in period of course). If you don't have HDMI 2.0 cables, you will need those for 4K & and Dobly/HDR support.

PS congrats on your planned purchase of a OLED set.

Last edited by Wingman1977; 04-16-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
evoll (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #4062
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

Bought my C7 from Robert Zohn at the end of 2017. Left it with him for two weeks so that he could take care of the break in time and then calibrate it. It was calibrated for every individual input. I could not be happier! I put in a disc and watch perfection every time. I don't have to think about it or fuss with it. Best $600 I ever spent. I had a Kuro before that which I tweaked myself. I had a picture that I was happy with for ten years, but it took months of fiddling about and re-watching movies to get there. I can't help wondering how much better it could have been. Probably not too much, but still.... Professional calibration=worry free viewing, and that's what this hobby is all about (at least for me).
Thanks given by:
evoll (04-16-2019), Wingman1977 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #4063
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonl View Post
Bought my C7 from Robert Zohn at the end of 2017. Left it with him for two weeks so that he could take care of the break in time and then calibrate it. It was calibrated for every individual input. I could not be happier! I put in a disc and watch perfection every time. I don't have to think about it or fuss with it. Best $600 I ever spent. I had a Kuro before that which I tweaked myself. I had a picture that I was happy with for ten years, but it took months of fiddling about and re-watching movies to get there. I can't help wondering how much better it could have been. Probably not too much, but still.... Professional calibration=worry free viewing, and that's what this hobby is all about (at least for me).
I bought my C7 from Robert as well around the same time as well as the OPPO UDP-203 (took a while to recieve it since he was sold out of them but was expecting replenishment, and received it on 12/1/17).
Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #4064

Mar 2013
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post

For that price difference, get the B8 and use the difference to get it professionally calibrated (after the break in period of course). If you don't have HDMI 2.0 cables, you will need those for 4K & and Dobly/HDR support.

PS congrats on your planned purchase of a OLED set.
The 65 B8 is $700 more than the 55 C8. I may not have phrased that well.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #4065
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
If you want to spend days on end fiddling with the TV's settings instead of enjoying it at the set's best, more power to you.
I am enjoying the set at it's best. All a professional calibration would do is tweak the colour balance with a meter to levels a human eye probably wouldn't see the difference in anyway and tell me how close I had it set to calibrated targets. I'm confident my contrast and the like are optimum, it's not just my own eyes I've used but various methods.

I respect the work of calibrators into ensuring the minuate are accurate and maybe I will pay just to be sure one day, but I find the implication I'm watching an impaired TV offensive. So what if my blue level say is off by 0.1% if the rest is 99.9% right. Hardly ruinous by any degree in a domestic setting! Bigger colour inaccuracies are ignored at a professional level (the two differing rec.601 standards for example, which are hardly ever compensated for).

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #4066
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobelowpar View Post
The 65 B8 is $700 more than the 55 C8. I may not have phrased that well.
Oh, that clears things up. What's the viewing distance from where you sit to where you would put the set?

Quote:
I am enjoying the set at it's best. All a professional calibration would do is tweak the colour balance with a meter to levels a human eye probably wouldn't see the difference in anyway and tell me how close I had it set to calibrated targets. I'm confident my contrast and the like are optimum, it's not just my own eyes I've used but various methods.

I respect the work of calibrators into ensuring the minuate are accurate and maybe I will pay just to be sure one day, but I find the implication I'm watching an impaired TV offensive. So what if my blue level say is off by 0.1% if the rest is 99.9% right. Hardly ruinous by any degree in a domestic setting! Bigger colour inaccuracies are ignored at a professional level (the two differing rec.601 standards for example, which are hardly ever compensated for).
Like I said, if you enjoy spending days playing around with the settings, more power to you. Me, I rather have a pro do it completely right once (with professional equipment) and be done with it.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #4067
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I watch things on it. I don't play with it. That was when I bought it. But OK, if you want to believe it's an endless fiddle, go ahead.

Fair play to you for wanting someone to come in and get it right for you. I've no issue with that, everyone is different! I'd go for it in a shot if it was cheaper and more readily available locally where I live, and maybe one day soon I'll justify the expense anyway to myself. Doesn't make your TV and opinions more worthy than mine though. That's what gets to me when some on these forums suggest that.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-16-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #4068
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
I watch things on it. I don't play with it. That was when I bought it. But OK, if you want to believe it's an endless fiddle, go ahead.

Fair play to you for wanting someone to come in and get it right for you. I've no issue with that, everyone is different! I'd go for it in a shot if it was cheaper and more readily available locally where I live, and maybe one day soon I'll justify the expense anyway to myself. Doesn't make your TV and opinions more worthy than mine though. That's what gets to me when some on these forums suggest that.
If that's you're thinking, then that's sounds like insecurity on your part with your opinion and the continuing replying back with stating your point of view again and again seems to indicate that. With that said, agree to disagree and I'll leave it that that.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #4069
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I would say it’s so obviously the other way around actually and leave it at that.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #4070
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I'll tell you what this argument has done, spurred me on to reconsider getting professional calibration because I want to be sure. Call irony on me if you wish.

I'll tell you what swayed me, after this discussion I watched some material that really showed off the strength of OLED technology with the true blacks and just reminded me why I'd happily dropped 2000 for a TV, so what's another couple of hundred? It's had a few months of moderate usage now to bed in and is ripe for perfect calibration.

Any UK-based recommendations who work in the north? ISF a must, I saw some at the lowest end at 275 rough cost.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #4071
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
I'll tell you what this argument has done, spurred me on to reconsider getting professional calibration because I want to be sure. Call irony on me if you wish.

I'll tell you what swayed me, after this discussion I watched some material that really showed off the strength of OLED technology with the true blacks and just reminded me why I'd happily dropped 2000 for a TV, so what's another couple of hundred? It's had a few months of moderate usage now to bed in and is ripe for perfect calibration.

Any UK-based recommendations who work in the north? ISF a must, I saw some at the lowest end at 275 rough cost.
The thing for me was peace of mind. Even if you don't see a major change because you already had it set as close as you could, the ability to just sit down and watch without any niggling doubts is priceless. And, the initial cost of the calibration spread out over the life of the set is minimal. Enjoy!
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (04-20-2019), Wingman1977 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #4072
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Some of us are perfectly happy with ISF settings out of the box
Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #4073
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It does make you wonder though when you read LGs gamma settings are way off norm. Their 2.4 measuring at only 2.2, etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #4074
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:

I contacted my calibrator Kevin Miller and asked if he knows of any ISF certified calibrators in the UK. I'll get back to this thread when I get a answer. I will admit that the cost may seem steep (it's a bit more for a OLED set versus a LCD/LED), but in the long run, it's worth the investment.

UPDATE: I got a answer from Kevin and he said to go to this link: https://imagingscience.com/dealers/ and where it reads "enter a city or zip code", enter United Kingdom (which is where your from) and you'll get a listing of ISF calibrators in the area. Hopefully one is close to you.

Last edited by Wingman1977; 04-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #4075
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Do you guys think it's realistic to find a 55 LG Oled new or in like new conditions for $1000 by next Fall?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #4076
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Do you guys think it's realistic to find a 55 LG Oled new or in like new conditions for $1000 by next Fall?
Honestly, I would never buy a display/open box/refurbished/used set except for under two conditions:

1. Buying from a friend/someone you personally know.

2. Buying refurbished directly from the manufacturer.

Newegg has the 55"C8 for $1,049.00 (brand new):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAJKJ8JF8704

To answer your question, nobody is going to know. All you can do is wait (or jump on the deal I posted from Newegg before it expires on Sun).

Last edited by Wingman1977; 04-25-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
merkman (04-30-2019), RockyIII (04-30-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #4077
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
It does make you wonder though when you read LGs gamma settings are way off norm. Their 2.4 measuring at only 2.2, etc.
Mine was on BT1886 out of the box 2,39, so it was not that much off on my set.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #4078

May 2010

Good morning all. I hope despite not yet owning a LG OLED TV, this is the proper place to ask LG OLED questions. Personally, I'm interested in the 55" versions of the B8, C8, E8, and C9.

Love the look of OLED, but didn't think I could justify the cost when they were all $2500 or so. I spent about 2k on my 60" Samsung 1080p 3D set years ago, and it's still got a good picture, but I got a 40" Samsung 4K refurb from Walmart for $253 shipped about a year or so ago, started buying 4K media, and I've wanted the better color of a OLED ever since.

Friday, FirstClassTV's had their B8 55" for $999, free shipping, no tax. I ordered one about 1:30 PST, and got a call Sunday. Besides confirming my shipping address, which was separate from my billing address, they said there was another insurance fee that hadn't been listed or mentioned during my online ordering process. $153 and change. I indicated I'd waited for a TV that met my budgeted amount, and I would not be paying another $153 on top of the original order. They offered to reduce to $75, but I held by my guns and told them to cancel the order if they couldn't meet the original price.

Since then, I've been searching the deals, done more reading, and I wonder if "upgrading" to the C9 for the HDMI 2.1 and it's newer features might not be worth looking at. I know it's a LOT more money, but while most online sites haven't marked down that model yet, word is Costco has them for less, I'm a member, and I might even make the drive down to Oregon to save the sales tax, and drive it back.

So as a newbie to OLED, anything I "need to know"? I've heard some early C9 purchasers had banding issues that were relatively unacceptable. I haven't done enough research to discover if firmware can fix this, or if those were only early model units and on most more recently sold displays that problem has been resolved. I also read something about "burn in" on OLED sets, and I didn't realize that might be a concern.

So yeah, any input is appreciated. I can tell you I'm not a big "tv" watcher. I have minimal cable and I might go back to Internet-only after GoT is over. I mainly watch Blu-Ray's and 4K programming with the occasional Netflix series or Prime Video show. I'm also a gamer, and JUST got an Xbox One X for $300 through a Google store promotion. One more reason I'd like a 55" 4K set to watch my movies, play some games, and generally use as my primary "set", but I won't be leaving it on all day like some people do.

Thanks for your time. Appreciate any and all help!!!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #4079
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
Mine was on BT1886 out of the box 2,39, so it was not that much off on my set.
Aren't most movies originally done in 2.2 gamma?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #4080

May 2010

Quote:
Honestly, I would never buy a display/open box/refurbished/used set except for under two conditions:

1. Buying from a friend/someone you personally know.

2. Buying refurbished directly from the manufacturer.

Newegg has the 55"C8 for $1,049.00 (brand new):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAJKJ8JF8704

To answer your question, nobody is going to know. All you can do is wait (or jump on the deal I posted from Newegg before it expires on Sun).
Dang. Wish I'd seen this sooner. I go to that link today, and it links to the B8 at $1069 which isn't a terrible deal, but the C8 for that price... I haven't seen it under $1399, so that's outstanding!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies