Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #241

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Good that you can fix the mix-and-match issue with ripping, but that requires a PC BD drive, which I don't have, and a way to play rips on a TV, which I don't know how to do.

If I remember, I felt the 5.1 mix was too revisionist-sounding, and I only have stereo anyway. Isn't there a stereo soundtrack too, that is the same or similar to what the LD had? I think that's what I used, but I haven't watched the discs in a long time so maybe I don't remember anymore.

I've now bought this movie five times. I had and may still have a Pioneer-release laserdisc, the one with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay on the cover with a white background, a Bandai Emotion DVD with Mikimoto art with a primarily red background, the LE blu-ray box because I thought I wanted FB2012 (I was wrong), the newer BD, and then the older regular release after I hated the new one because I had already sold the LE by that time.

I can see preferring the newer one, the color subjectively looks better though as your screens show it's just as wrong as the other one and there are some tradeoffs. Personally, I just can't stand that look the edge enhancement does to line art and am really annoyed by the black crush, so I prefer the old one. Somehow the grain issue is better for me on the old as well.

If a US release was stuck with this master, I think something like the GE999 movies' addition of fake grain could improve how this looks which is one of many reasons why Discotek would be the best answer.

That might be the article I have seen before but I'm not sure now. I think it has more technical info than what I'd read before or maybe I have just forgotten.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #242
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
If I remember, I felt the 5.1 mix was too revisionist-sounding, and I only have stereo anyway. Isn't there a stereo soundtrack too, that is the same or similar to what the LD had? I think that's what I used, but I haven't watched the discs in a long time so maybe I don't remember anymore.
The 2.0 stereo track from the LD is included, but technically it functions like a 4.0 track (left-center-right-surround) because it's mastered in Dolby Surround.

Last edited by NLScavenger; 06-14-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #243
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
The 2.0 stereo track from the LD is included, but technically it functions like a 4.0 track (left-center-right-surround) because it's mastered in Dolby Surround. Feed the
That's how all Dolby Stereo mixes are done (L-C-R-S) and folded into two optical audio tracks. No Dolby Stereo mix has ever been just the left and right speakers.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (06-15-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #244

Jun 2019

i hate to the baron of bad (bearer of bad news) news but harmony gold has the rights for next 35 years

https://twitter.com/DenofGeekUS/stat...13094525255681

Last edited by sagadego; 07-06-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #245
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Old 07-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #246
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagadego View Post
i hate to the baron of bad news ...
Old 07-06-2019, 01:50 AM   #247

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
it was reported that harmony gold was supposed to lose macross but they renewed it for 35 years
Old 07-06-2019, 01:51 AM   #248
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
it was reported that harmony gold was supposed to lose macross but they renewed it for 35 years
I think hes doing that because you spelled something wrong.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:54 AM   #249
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Quote:
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but harmony gold has the rights for next 35 years

https://twitter.com/DenofGeekUS/stat...13094525255681
Major points:

Harmony Gold also can’t disclose how long the renewal is but in their presentation at Anime Expo on July 5th, a slide stated that Harmony Gold's rights to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada will remain in "full effect well into the future"...McKeever did confirm that this isn’t a new agreement between Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko. He elaborates:...This basically means that Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko have renewed the same agreement they had before and extended it. This is exciting for everyone involved, especially Sony Pictures Entertainment who is currently working on the Robotech live-action movie. The new extension, “allows Sony to do what they want to do with the Robotech IP,” explains Yune.
But what about the Macross sequels? For many many years fans haven’t been able to legally obtain various sequel series to the original Macross outside of Japan. It’s been a huge point of contention, with many people pointing the finger at Harmony Gold. Does this renewal change anything about that?

Right now it appears nothing has changed. ... While Harmony Gold won't comment on any Macross sequels at this time, Tommy Yune does generally say that, "if we can have more Macross and more Robotech everywhere and just let the fans go after what they enjoy we think that would be a wonderful thing.”

God Dammit.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #250
Power Member

Sep 2015
Alabama

Mehhh.
I really wouldn't mind it so much if HG would just let the original properties be licensed in the US. While the DenofGeek article tries to make it sound like something could change, they made it pretty clear this is just a extension of the agreement they already had, so I don't really see any reason why we should expect anything different to happen. Seems like they just want to pass the ball around with Sony.

I like Robotech and I don't really want the brand to die. I just want to be able to enjoy the Macross franchise and the other shows in their original state too.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (07-08-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 AM   #251

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I think hes doing that because you spelled something wrong.
oh i thinks it's Baron of bad news. it's a pun on bearer i think my bad
Thanks given by:
Naiera (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #252
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

So I'll be dead and can only hope my grandchildren will be able to legally purchase Macross titles in the US by the time the license expires... Swell.

No offense to my future offspring, but f' my grandchildren. I want Macross!
Thanks given by:
professorwho (07-06-2019), sagadego (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:41 AM   #253
Power Member

Oct 2007

Why would the Japanese rights holders be this ignorant? They are literally throwing money away by agreeing to extend with Harmony gold. The many different series they could have licensed, to many different countries, to streaming services etc. The merchandising, etc. It's so unbelievably shortsighted of them. The first time could've been considered a mistake because licensing was rare when it was originally made. Now, there is no excuse. I feel like Obi Wan right now when the death star blew up Alderaan. It's as if millions of anime fans cried out all at once...
Thanks given by:
Naiera (07-06-2019), professorwho (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #254
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

*comes in*

[bleep] You Harmony Gold for the next 35 years!

*leaves*
Thanks given by:
starsteam (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:52 AM   #255
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Where is this 35 years coming from, I quoted the article above and HG can't disclose the length of the deal. Are people just going off the length of the current deal up until now?
Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #256
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

*comes back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
Where is this 35 years coming from, I quoted the article above and HG can't disclose the length of the deal. Are people just going off the length of the current deal up until now?
A lamentful source.

*leaves again*
Thanks given by:
kk1 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 AM   #257

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

While that can be interpreted that way, and it might actually mean that, I really don't think it necessarily does.

That reads exactly like the typical pat-ourselves-on-the-back corporate statement you see anytime someone is celebrating how long they've been in business or whatever:

"Here at Bizarre Concepts, Inc. we have been successfully serving our customers in the fidgety-widget industry for 50 years, and we look forward the next 50 years of continuing to serve existing and new customers!"
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (07-08-2019), One-Eye (07-06-2019), professorwho (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:32 AM   #258
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

*reluctantly comes back one last time*

That may be true, but it doesn't matter if it's 2054 or earlier---or Zenu forbid, later. What matters is that they won't lose the license in 2021, and that is painful news for those who exposed themselves to the Macross media from Japan, waiting to get their home video releases domestically which won't happen in the near future because of this reinforced license limbo status-quo.

*leaves, but bolts the door to make sure his departure sticks*
Old 07-06-2019, 03:47 AM   #259
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cplhicks View Post
Why would the Japanese rights holders be this ignorant? They are literally throwing money away by agreeing to extend with Harmony gold.
Because the Japanese licensor that Harmony Gold has an agreement with is Tatsunoko Pro which only hold the rights to the first series so they don't care about anything else, it's not something they can make money off of. The really messed up part is why this apparently gives Harmony Gold the legal right to block everything else remotely Macross-related outside Japan.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #260

Dec 2009

So sad and mad because of the news. I mean really? I guess we'll ever get to own these series in the US.

Also more info as well. Guy was there at the panel and posted lots of pictures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MetalSkin...KTeTLJWQA6Vecg
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime