Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #2841

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I think it's too early to proclaim "No more 3D Steelbooks." Not only is this not the first time since the introduction of 3D BD that HMV has done this, but there have of course been 3D BD Steelbooks released on both sides of the pond that had nothing to do with HMV exclusivity (Passengers in the U.S. and Ready Player One in France are only two that came to my mind straight away).

On the whole, at least for my consumption of BDs both 3D and otherwise this news--while unfortunate--means very little.

(Didn't know the company was launched by Sir Edward Elgar.)
Sorry i meant that hmv do them with most releases, if they go the steelbooks from elsewhere arent as common or easily accessible, the only shop on my doorstep that sells 3d new, or any blu ray really.

I hope discs dont die off, streaming is too prone to niggles
Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #2842
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal

Unfortunately for me it's over

My E6 had a misaligned 3D filter and LG couldn't exchange it since they don't make 3D panels anymore. Had to buy a 2018 set.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #2843

Aug 2015

you can still get second hand 3d tvs, 3d projectors and vr. It aint over to the fat lady sings
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-07-2019), wildbill722 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #2844
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazadams View Post
you can still get second hand 3d tvs, 3d projectors and vr. It aint over to the fat lady sings
I still have a plasma Panny with active 3D but in the bedroom. I don't reckon I will be watching many if any 3D movies there.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #2845
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Well, have five preorders going into the early part of 2019 so 3D might be down but still kicking.

3D is something unique to itself. Unlike VHS, 8 tracks mini discs, etc, it's not a device that can be replaced within a certain medium. It's a visual experience.

Agree, 3D is not for everyone. The only argument one can make is it is a fad. People lose interest over time and that precipates all other factors in industry decisions. A valid point. But is it a fad like we saw in the fifties and eighties? Those times one had to go to the theater. This go round it's in the home. It can be used aggressively or casually. Look at virtual reality. That can only help spur new interest.

Headset sales are going to plateu at some point as well. But overall that won't mean 3D is dead. TV sales will go up and down according to demand too. 3D can be added back at any time to be an incentive of one set over the other. But it has to be understood that it will deserve a long term investment, not a short term quick fix scheme to boost dragging sales like we saw almost a decade before.

That short sighted short term planning is why 3D as a casual addition to one's own home entertainment system currently is not available on 2018/2019 sets. Nothing more. It didn't spur the unrealistic expectations the industry was looking for so the short term was to drop it. Just like when revenue in theaters starts to drop, it should be seen as a natural pattern of ups and downs. Marketing projections and metrics are very fallible because they are stats without the unpredictable human element and all it's intangibles. Prices go down, renewed interest might prevail and the main thing is to realize 3D is not going to be an industry savior and for most consumers TV is a long term investment, not a commodity like computers. The offshoot profits will be the sales of discs and players.

So to me it's not a question of 3D being dead as it is being killed off.

Last edited by Joe D.; 12-30-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bbrock64 (01-04-2019), Kenbar (12-31-2018), presidentevil3d (12-31-2018), Variety Films 3D (01-09-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #2846
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Per Eny-'s experience, I think the "fat lady" is parts and service availability not hardware availability. She's constantly hovering in the wings now and can hit the stage at any time and start doing some loud azz Puccini.

Recently had some minor service done on my (3D-capable) Mitsu DLP and some of the things the tech told me were/are cause for concern.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #2847

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Per Eny-'s experience, I think the "fat lady" is parts and service availability not hardware availability. She's constantly hovering in the wings now and can hit the stage at any time and start doing some loud azz Puccini.

Recently had some minor service done on my (3D-capable) Mitsu DLP and some of the things the tech told me were/are cause for concern.
Yeah agreed re hardware, im getting a lot of that with customers lately, cannot fix 3d tvs

Is the mitsu a one that could be replaced like for like or is it breaking a horror scenario
Old 12-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #2848

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Well, have five preorders going into the early part of 2019 so 3D might be down but still kicking.

3D is something unique to itself. Unlike VHS, 8 tracks mini discs, etc, it's not a device that can be replaced within a certain medium. It's a visual experience.

Agree, 3D is not for everyone. The only argument one can make is it is a fad. People lose interest over time and that precipates all other factors in industry decisions. A valid point. But is it a fad like we saw in the fifties and eighties? Those times one had to go to the theater. This go round it's in the home. It can be used aggressively or casually. Look at virtual reality. That can only help spur new interest.

Headset sales are going to plateu at some point as well. But overall that won't mean 3D is dead. TV sales will go up and down according to demand too. 3D can be added back at any time to be an incentive of one set over the other. But it has to be understood that it will deserve a long term investment, not a short term quick fix scheme to boost dragging sales like we saw almost a decade before.

That short sighted short term planning is why 3D as a casual addition to one's own home entertainment system currently is not available on 2018/2019 sets. Nothing more. It didn't spur the unrealistic expectations the industry was looking for so the short term was to drop it. Just like when revenue in theaters starts to drop, it should be seen as a natural pattern of ups and downs. Marketing projections and metrics are very fallible because they are stats without the unpredictable human element and all it's intangibles. Prices go down, renewed interest might prevail and the main thing is to realize 3D is not going to be an industry savior and for most consumers TV is a long term investment, not a commodity like computers. The offshoot profits will be the sales of discs and players.

So to me it's not a question of 3D being dead as it is being killed off.
eah they tried to force it down throats, much like 4k is now, and a.i.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #2849
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
Unfortunately for me it's over

My E6 had a misaligned 3D filter and LG couldn't exchange it since they don't make 3D panels anymore. Had to buy a 2018 set.
Do you mean it had a misaligned filter all along and you just noticed it or had gotten worse lately?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #2850

Jan 2016
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Do you mean it had a misaligned filter all along and you just noticed it or had gotten worse lately?
Yeah, it'd be interesting to know that. Also, can these filters get worse in time? I mean, it's not like they're moving parts, subject to wear.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #2851
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Wow I hadn't previously noticed that Incredibles 2 got a 3D BD release in the UK, Germany, Japan and France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentevil3d View Post
Is the mitsu a one that could be replaced like for like or is it breaking a horror scenario
The Mitsu DLPs are not made anymore.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #2852
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

[Delete dupe.]

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 01-02-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #2853

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioV View Post
Yeah, it'd be interesting to know that. Also, can these filters get worse in time? I mean, it's not like they're moving parts, subject to wear.
Generally I don't think so. It might be possible that heat from the TV...or rays from sunlight might deteriorate the FPR film over time, but as of now I have not read of that happening. Still, great question.
Thanks given by:
GiorgioV (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #2854
Special Member

Apr 2014
United States

Yes. Yes it is.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #2855

Jul 2012
The UnderVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilli1 View Post
Yes. Yes it is.
*sigh*
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #2856
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

If 3D was truly dead we wouldn't have access to excellent 3D Blu-ray movies and YouTube videos like this wouldn't exist:

Plus 3D/4K front projectors wouldn't be selling any more.
Thanks given by:
sgtusa (02-21-2019), Variety Films 3D (01-10-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #2857
Power Member

Feb 2014

I hope 3-D at home isn't dead. I've purchased all these 3-D blu-rays (before never getting the tv and player) and there's a distinct possibility that I will never even get to watch them.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 AM   #2858
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Sony Z9D, and many front projectors ... 1080p & 4K, and a whole lot of Blu-ray players (1080p & 4K).
3D is only dead in the North American market, but this ain't the world, not the end.
There is a bigger artistic universal picture than the narrow one created by the capitalism system.

Expanding our buying power to other world's countries makes 3D alive here.

The true art of cinema is not restricted to money revenues, but to creativity from filmmakers exploring higher moving immersion in cinema.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-10-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #2859

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Dont worry, 3D will be back massively in a few years, we have the next four Avatar sequels coming, he is already 100 days into the 2nd and 3rd movie, and he says they are being made for 3d, and it will be the best 3D we the public have ever seen, so i reckon 3D will be back in 2020

Quote:
Avatar 2 Will Revolutionize 3D Claims James Cameron
You may not be ready for the sumptuous 3D experience that James Cameron is promising to bring us with Avatar 2. Even though it's taken nearly a decade, Cameron is finally hard at work on getting his Avatar sequels, all four of them, ready for the public to take in. Story details are a little slim at the moment, but the director is assuring as that the long-awaited sequel will, at the very least, be a visual 3D feast the likes of which we've never seen before.

"I guarantee one thing. Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all going to be in 3D and they will look sumptuous," he said. He also says that "Hollywood has done 3D a disservice by embracing post-conversion," with the technology having stalled out a few years ago. For Avatar 2 and beyond, he's trying to push the technology forward once again. Here's what he had to say about it.

"From my own perspective since I'm not doing television production, I'm doing Avatar sequels, four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that's possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you're looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That's what movies should look like."

Last edited by Daytrader; 01-03-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Thanks given by:
DarrinG (01-03-2019), LordoftheRings (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #2860
Power Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Dont worry, 3D will be back massively in a few years, we have the next four Avatar sequels coming, he is already 100 days into the 2nd and 3rd movie, and he says they are being made for 3d, and it will be the best 3D we the public have ever seen, so i reckon 3D will be back in 2020

You may not be ready for the sumptuous 3D experience that James Cameron is promising to bring us with Avatar 2. Even though it's taken nearly a decade, Cameron is finally hard at work on getting his Avatar sequels, all four of them, ready for the public to take in. Story details are a little slim at the moment, but the director is assuring as that the long-awaited sequel will, at the very least, be a visual 3D feast the likes of which we've never seen before.

"I guarantee one thing. Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all going to be in 3D and they will look sumptuous," he said. He also says that "Hollywood has done 3D a disservice by embracing post-conversion," with the technology having stalled out a few years ago. For Avatar 2 and beyond, he's trying to push the technology forward once again. Here's what he had to say about it.

"From my own perspective since I'm not doing television production, I'm doing Avatar sequels, four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that's possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you're looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That's what movies should look like."

Sorry, Cameron. I heard the same "It'll f*ck your eyeballs!" hype from you for the first Avatar, which had nice 3-D, but nothing I hadn't seen before (and better).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping