Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
3 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #21

Mar 2012

I don't think "3D is Dead", I never said that quote, but there are people out there, either directly or indirectly doing things that are helping to slowly kill interest in it...hence the "Another Nail in the coffin?" title posed as a question. I don't think the lid is anywhere near firmly shut either.

Long live 3d!!! I'm already imagining Dracula's hand opening the lid in glorious 3d!!

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 07-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #22

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
When NickUK finds out you stole his job, he's going to be mad..
Easy tiger

I had given up anyway!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignickuk View Post
easy tiger :d

i had given up anyway!
lol
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I have no clue either what the "Nolan doesn't like 3-D!" link even remotely has to do with the discussion, and neither, I suspect, does Blu-Dog; he just wanted to get in there with today's Out of Context Timely-Article-Button and make sure his timecard was punched for the day.
You should get more sleep.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
I don't think "3D is Dead", I never said that quote, but there are people out there, either directly or indirectly doing things that are helping to slowly kill interest in it...hence the "Another Nail in the coffin?" title posed as a question. I don't think the lid is anywhere near firmly shut either.

Long live 3d!!! I'm already imagining Dracula's hand opening the lid in glorious 3d!!

Gae
For the studios, it will take firm commitment at the pre-production level. A company that's ready to make the commitment still has to make the technology hurdles for location shooting, and that changes a lot of things for actioners with a big outdoor scene list - there will be lots of green screen work, which can actually save money, but they have to think about it in advance.

The industry moves like an ocean liner, meaning it's hard to turn it. Once even a few movies that aren't CGI extravaganzas or animated adventures make it in 3-D, it has a better chance of becoming mainstream in a few years. More companies will be able to share 3-D resources, making production easier.

Right now, it's either a rich production company's game, or stuff rushed through problematic conversions at cheap prices. An entire market of standard movie fare is left out of this equation, preventing mainstream acceptance. There seems to be this idea that "there's a lot of stuff in 3-D", based on big names, and tentpole offerings, but that's not the heart of the industry - those are the peaks.

Some people simply won't wear glasses unless it's a "must see" movie. Once it gets to the point where 3-D is well done and more common, for all films, things will change.

While the current fan base for 3-D gets lit up over good productions (Hugo, thing like that) you'll know 3-D is getting somewhere when the Bond films, or Bourne films, or Stallone or Denzell or folks like that have 3-D movies, that it's moving into the mainstream. Or even a standard drama or mystery. It will take the Kid's Toy imprimatur off the standard.

I guess some people get upset if I say the latest Kung Fu Panda movie doesn't interest most folks, but it's true. Nothing wrong with movies like that, but it's not mainstream. That needs to change to move this out of niche status.

Hint (and I know how disgusting this sounds): Take a look at the tabloid in the grocery store, and see which "stars" are working in 3-D films. That's the industry...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #26
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by therainberg View Post
James Cameron wants to Certify 3D Filmmakers. So there is an effort to figure out how to point the consumer to the quality 3D product and deter cheap cash grabs.
I'm sure the dogpilers wants to compare it to colorization, where one copyrighted company thought up the idea, and then every mom-and-pop company leapt upon the idea with sub-standard processes and public-domain movies.
Bad example, perhaps, since colorization was doomed anyway, we don't know whether it was officially killed off by Ted's Big Company or a hundred little New Jersey ones....But point is, nowadays, when Legend Films does a colorization on Three Stooges or Ray Harryhausen, no one cries that it's "destroying the industry", it's just taken as one more lab process that can be done if it could.
It was just put into more professional perspective and became common enough in the industry, we just learned to separate the toolbox from the Tools.

As for Gae's complaint of a lot of little and/or converted movies coming this week, yes, I'm impatient too, but I can see more than a few feet in front of me.
It's the summer doldrums, where the April movies don't come till August (I missed the Pirates movie in theaters, but promised I'd be there on day one for the 3-D rental), and the June movies like Prometheus, Avengers and MIB3 have left theaters for their slow exile till October. Instead of beating your horses, try holding them.
Me, I look on 3D-BlurayRental.com's Coming Soon page, and have never heard of "Loser", "Sector 7", "A Better Tomorrow '12" or "Shock Labyrinth" in my life, but that doesn't mean I deny their existences...One less would be one less.

(And on the subject of October releases, even if we can't get a solo Creature outside of the Universal boxset for another year or so, will Warner just hurry up and release Dial M already, so they can stuff it in BD's one-hit-wonder "It's all CGI kiddie movies" mouth?
No, I mean that literally, it would fit. )
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #27

Mar 2012

Quote:
As for Gae's complaint of a lot of little and/or converted movies coming this week, yes, I'm impatient too, but I can see more than a few feet in front of me.
Thats odd. Are you a Mutant or something? I can only see two feet in front of me!

Gae
Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #28

Aug 2010

It seems to me that there are only a handful of NEW titles (3D or 2D) that I get excited about seeing/buying each year. Most of the movies I'd actually want to own this year (Hugo, Brave, TinTin, Prometheus, Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, Titanic) are 3D.

The only other 2D movies that spring to mind as worth owning are Dark Knight Rises, The Bourne Legacy and a bunch of catalog titles like Indiana Jones and ET. If there's a drought of good releases, I'd suggest it's for 2D titles too (unless you're talking about catalog titles that aren't going to be converted to 3D).
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #29

Mar 2012

See what I mean?

"New Korean movie with John Woo in background ... I was totally buying this to be my reference bluray for asian 3D. Worst ever! If you don't count subtitles being on front of movie, there practically were no 3D at all. Movie itself was flat in one layer and picture quality was pretty bad too. Promoting this as 3D is cheating if you ask me".

and yet more happy 3D customers

I guess if people send these back, then retailers will stop stocking them in the future.

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 08-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
See what I mean?

"New Korean movie with John Woo in background ... I was totally buying this to be my reference bluray for asian 3D. Worst ever! If you don't count subtitles being on front of movie, there practically were no 3D at all. Movie itself was flat in one layer and picture quality was pretty bad too. Promoting this as 3D is cheating if you ask me".

and yet more happy 3D customers
Yeah, how lame can you get?--Why can't we have more Good Stuff instead of Bad Stuff?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #31

Mar 2012

Quote:
Yeah, how lame can you get?--Why can't we have more Good Stuff instead of Bad Stuff?
I'll take it even further. We need legal standards for 3D to stop consumers being conned into buying the "bad stuff " which is just giving 3D a bad name.

If people can't guarantee that when they buy 3D, that is what they are getting, they may stop buying 3D altogether.....even the "good stuff".

Gae
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
I'll take it even further. We need legal standards for 3D to stop consumers being conned into buying the "bad stuff " which is just giving 3D a bad name.

If people can't guarantee that when they buy 3D, that is what they are getting, they may stop buying 3D altogether.....even the "good stuff".
Better yet, maybe it'll be so common enough, people will know Bad Stuff from Good Stuff when they see it--
Just as the entire Blu-ray industry wasn't destroyed by Asylum putting out their disks the same week as a big Warner release.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

3D gets a bad name because of bad 3D, agreed. 3D that is so weak we wonder why we even have to wear glasses to see it when it looks nearly 2D anyway.

Making strong 3D is not easy and takes a learning curve for studios to get it right, considering you can have two cameras far apart, but how far is too far, and then keystoning issues with converged cameras, convergence adjustments with parallel cameras, minimizing ghosting which is more common with strong 3D, etc. A lot to consider and a class in creating strong 3D should be taken by anyone interested in making 3D films. The next trick is, who offers such a class, other than the one to teach yourself through trial and error before making the first 3D movie?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Adding to, a great example of fake / bad 3D turned ruined sales would be the German flicks that just keep rolling out week after week.

I feel bad saying anything from Germany at this point, I don't give it the time of day - it automatically is considered sh*t 3D to me until I read different, and if I DO read different it's because I had stumbled on to the review, I don't even waste my time researching anymore.

I suppose assuming is bad, Me First said don't assume, you make and ASS out of U and ME, however in this case these German production companies have made an ass out of themselves so many times over and over... They've earned my lack of attention.

If you bought a car from me, and upon delivery a go-kart with a lawnmower engine showed up, there would be a lawsuit. Nowhere (to my knowledge) does it say on one of these movies that you're purchasing the movie with "quality at your own risk".

A refund-lawsuit potentially is not that far fetched. Day of the Dead 3D would be a great place to start.......
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
Adding to, a great example of fake / bad 3D turned ruined sales would be the German flicks that just keep rolling out week after week.
At this point, for core 3D fans, "bad German conversions" has etched itself next to David Hasselhoff for "Goofy default German jokes" (don't mention the war!)
It's just something we've started associating with the country, just as saying "France" brings up Jerry Lewis jokes: If I see any title I've never heard of, my first real reaction is to ask "What is this?...Is it German? "

Now, if we can just get the Regular Folk to start making the same jokes, we'll be that one step closer to an audience that can make informed decisions on their own.

Quote:
A refund-lawsuit potentially is not that far fetched. Day of the Dead 3D would be a great place to start.......
No, that would have to be like those old Disney disks, where dumb people returned their disks because they thought they'd been "fooled" into buying it, and then the real complainers can sarcastically jump on the bandwagon and rub the company's face in it as a public example.
(Oh, that "Character artwork on disk" thing was just too perfect as sarcasm--It couldn't randomly happen twice in history. )

For that, you'd have to have, I don't know, a title that wasn't in 3-D promote itself as one, or....I dunno, it's just not like the old days.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #36
Special Member

Apr 2012

I am so over crappy pretend 3D movies that i really lost interest there for a little bit. In short succesion I got Loser (or Looser), Bear, A Better Tomorrow 2012, Nazi Invasion 3D (or Jackboots on Whitehall) and Running Man (anlyglpth!).

Every single one is incredibly dodgy 3D and made me very angry that I purchased, due to the above mentioned drought. It has got to the point now that I have about 90 real 3D movies that nothing seems to ever come out now. Honestly, Im so glad Ghost Rider, Wrath of titans and The Lorax turned up as I has seen nothing new in the stores for weeks..I even got 3D Love - Sex Erotic & Passion box set and at least that was shot using a real 3D camera! Actually there is a bit where a girl is blowing bubbles which looks really great. The point is though, i only bought these due to the dearth in real releases. Yes, it is a worry now I am concious of the lack and concious of the crap.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #37

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
.I even got 3D Love - Sex Erotic & Passion box set and at least that was shot using a real 3D camera! Actually there is a bit where a girl is blowing bubbles which looks really great.
He's a lucky guy, that Bubbles!!!

Gae
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #38
Special Member

Oct 2010
New England, USA

War Flowers has had a ton of problems finding a distributor in general. It is the second movie my niece was in (Edge of Darkness being the first) and I've been waiting for it for ages, and trying to follow news of it.
I didn't even know they had converted it though, so that goes to show how little I'd actually heard. Just ordered it from Germany tonight. Look forward to having a little "premiere" with my sister's family over to see it on my projector.

I do not take it to mean anything detrimental to 3D in general. There were a few action titles this summer that I did think not being in 3D might be indicative of a distinct slowing in the way studios plan for 3D (Bourne, Total Recall). But hopefully that will leave 3D in the hands of those that can really make something of it and not just a label slapped up after a weekend of drunken conversion by a 3D render farm.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #39

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by seregloth View Post
I do not take it to mean anything detrimental to 3D in general. There were a few action titles this summer that I did think not being in 3D might be indicative of a distinct slowing in the way studios plan for 3D (Bourne, Total Recall). But hopefully that will leave 3D in the hands of those that can really make something of it and not just a label slapped up after a weekend of drunken conversion by a 3D render farm.
Yes. I'd prefer to see only those truly interested in making decent 3D make them in the future, rather than every Tom, Dick or Harry who's just trying to jump on the bandwagon in an attempt to cash in on 3D.

Ironically, if the majority of people lose interest in 3D, that might be a good thing....less 3D films being made, but of a higher quality only by those studios (e.g. nWave) that have an affinity with 3D.

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 08-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #40

Aug 2012

I think people usually bash 3d because of one bad experience (Old tech like red blue glasses, bad conversions etc) but u know people cried and complained about HD becoming the norm also so its probably just a passing phase, u dont ever here complaints on hd anymore besides those few guys who stuck with tube tv's because they could not afford any better, just like hd i think 3d will become more normal, more people should know that it has been around forever and its here to stay, im glad i jumped on board and got a 3dtv woudl'nt think twice about it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping