Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
1 hr ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #1041

Mar 2008
Michigan where the weather changes from hour to hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
as long as filmmakers keep making films in 3D for cinemas they will keep releasing them in 3D on blu ray. That's a simple, inescapable fact.
And 2016 has lots of 3D movies hitting the theaters, take that 3D haters!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #1042
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
And 2016 has lots of 3D movies hitting the theaters, take that 3D haters!
2017 too! Here are some (but not all!)

Jan 13, 2017 Warner Bros. Geostorm
Feb 10, 2017 Warner Bros. The LEGO Batman Movie
Mar 10, 2017 Fox / DreamWorks Animation Boss Baby
Mar 10, 2017 Warner Bros. Kong: Skull Island
Mar 17, 2017 Disney Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Mar 31, 2017 Sony / Columbia Get Smurfy
Mar 31, 2017 Disney / DreamWorks Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Apr 7, 2017 Fox Ferdinand
May 5, 2017 Disney Guardians of the Galaxy 2
May 26, 2017 Disney Star Wars: Episode VIII
Jun 16, 2017 Disney Toy Story 4
Jul 7, 2017 Disney Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Jul 28, 2017 Sony / Columbia Untitled Spider-Man 2017 Film
Sep 22, 2017 Warner Bros. The LEGO Ninjago Movie
Oct 6, 2017 Warner Bros. Jungle Book: Origins
Nov 3, 2017 Disney Thor: Ragnarok
Nov 22, 2017 Disney Coco
Dec 22, 2017 Fox / DreamWorks Animation The Croods 2
Old 09-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #1043
Special Member

Jul 2009

Of course in the 1950s, Warner announced that ALL of their future movies would be in 3D! Sadly they quickly reversed that decision.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #1044

Aug 2015

this is a good post to read about
Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #1045
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
2017 too! Here are some (but not all!)

Jan 13, 2017 Warner Bros. Geostorm
Feb 10, 2017 Warner Bros. The LEGO Batman Movie
Mar 10, 2017 Fox / DreamWorks Animation Boss Baby
Mar 10, 2017 Warner Bros. Kong: Skull Island
Mar 17, 2017 Disney Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Mar 31, 2017 Sony / Columbia Get Smurfy
Mar 31, 2017 Disney / DreamWorks Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Apr 7, 2017 Fox Ferdinand
May 5, 2017 Disney Guardians of the Galaxy 2
May 26, 2017 Disney Star Wars: Episode VIII
Jun 16, 2017 Disney Toy Story 4
Jul 7, 2017 Disney Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Jul 28, 2017 Sony / Columbia Untitled Spider-Man 2017 Film
Sep 22, 2017 Warner Bros. The LEGO Ninjago Movie
Oct 6, 2017 Warner Bros. Jungle Book: Origins
Nov 3, 2017 Disney Thor: Ragnarok
Nov 22, 2017 Disney Coco
Dec 22, 2017 Fox / DreamWorks Animation The Croods 2
So all kids films then! No good for me. Maybe with the exception of Skull island.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #1046
Special Member

Jun 2013

Any chance that a theatrical, natively shot 3D juggernaut--such as one of the upcoming Avatar sequels--could spark renewed interest in 3D in the home...or are people now accustomed to seeing that as the dominion of the theater chains?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #1047
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
Any chance that a theatrical, natively shot 3D juggernaut--such as one of the upcoming Avatar sequels--could spark renewed interest in 3D in the home...or are people now accustomed to seeing that as the dominion of the theater chains?
Honestly, not likely.

fitprod
Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #1048
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Sounds nice, but 3-D television is gone, and I mentioned several other venues that no longer exist. You paragraph above, like many other stirring mentions of 3-D, does not quantify anything. "Successfully mainstreamed", "many years longer", "greater number", and other such statements are not quantifiable measures of success, and the total elimination of 4K disc and broadcasting of 3D don't bode well, by any measurement.

• "All the time" is another unquantifiable number. You say at least two theaters in this small town always show 3-D movies, so which ones are playing right now?
  • Are they cartoons, set for a limited demographic? Are they being shown because they exist, and the theater owners are trying to get some revenue out of their equipment (you may not know this, of course, but did these films make big revenue at normal box office showings)?
  • Are they recent releases?
  • Like in most small towns, do they show the same movie for months on end?
I have to take this statement with a grain of salt, as there are no "big" releases out right now. Mad Max is several months old, Star Wars is months away, and I can't think of any cartoons that either made real revenue or have been recently released.

At the very real threat of being redundant, where? Looking at the home use level of viewership, 3-D has been kneecapped by being left completely abandoned by 4K, and no mention of it surrounding any 8K advancements in the pipe. The word 3-D is anathema in any announcements made - just Google the phrase, "3D announcement" and you get chatter about some phones, 3-D printing, and nothing else - and it simply is not a topic of discussion.

I know of no company making any investment in 3-D film, broadcast, or home video, and a few announcements from obscure East European production houses of more cartoon content. This is not a wave, or "resurgence of the industry" at all. Can you actually provide real news about this stuff?

"Vast" is a number in the real world. How much is "vast"?

It must have been plural - "lenses" and if you can't name it due to a Non-Disclosure Agreement, let us know. Is production in process, or is it experimental? What is the rough time frame that is required to put it in production? Without discussing technology (again, recognizing that this may be covered by and NDA), what about playback? Does it require special viewing tech, like glasses, or is the effect visible in either 4K or 8K?

Again, no quantification. And no time frame.

I won't detail the missing pieces here, anyone can see it. And we all know the incredible cock-up involved with the initial 3-D rollout; at best is causes uncontrollable sneezing, and too often an uncontrollable burst of cursing. I really think it is a viable format, if respected and implemented along with all other new tech, but we are now in the phase of Luddites clinging like barnacles to 2009 technology, and misguided "advocates" shouting that when the river floods the banks, we all get our swimming pools filled for free.

Better things can be done, and soon. They must be, for this thing to survive and grow. Please identify and quantify your discoveries.
Having said that, it is conceivable that the 3D Blu-Ray format will still be around five years from now judging by the release slate cinematically. That will be around ten years for the format. I still enjoy 3D and ten years is a long time. If these guys love 3D (and many obviously do) why would they pack up and deprive themselves of, at the very least, five more years of 3D experiences? If the hangers on didn't exist in all wakes of life, niche wouldn't be a thing. Formats would die before they get going.

As a side note, discs like 3D rarities and House Of Wax are doing a great deal of good for the format and the more care is put into titles, the longer 3D will last.
Maybe something will come along that makes 3D look lke pan and scan, fuzzy black and white tv but until then, 3D has my full support, and I wouldn't rule out still supporting the format even then.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #1049

Jan 2014

Are people walking out of cinemas being wowed by 3D? I would say no. 90% of 3D films are utterly disappointing.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #1050
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
Are people walking out of cinemas being wowed by 3D? I would say no. 90% of 3D films are utterly disappointing.
More to do with the films I'd say. 3D is just like surround sound in many ways, it can enhance the experience but doesn't actually improve a film. Hollywood is throwing more and more at films when I'd prefer a back to basic approach. My own bugbear is CGI effects, they're used just because they can these days rather than does a film actually needs them to tell a story. I tend to enjoy independent movies and older movies, taking in a new release for me is quite rare because I find them soulless affairs all about how much money you can see on screen for the majority.

I personally don't like gimmicky 3D either, I prefer it used to add depth. Texas Chainsaw 3D is a good example of that, they used depth to increase the tension in some scenes
Thanks given by:
Todd Tomorrow (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #1051
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Nah. I think it's found a comfortable niche in home cinema but won't get mass market penetration. Probably the best hope now is people buying new TVs suddenly finding out they come with 3D as standard and may give it a go. I think that's the right way to go about it because many will refuse to pay extra for something they don't really need but if it's already there they might give it a go.

We shouldn't underestimate the gaming market either, I don't know the figures but I'd estimate they make up a large proportion of home 3D users on both PC and console setups.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #1052

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
This is the problem I have with 3D - so many 3D films concentrate on depth, but depth has very little WOW factor, it just looks "nice". With some films your brain adjusts and you forget you are watching in 3D at all, especially as nothing breaks the boundary of the screen. This is even more likely with conversions.

And STILL you get some people moaning at the use of "in-your-face" 3D effects, calling them gimmicks. Instead of just sticking to the 2D versions that they would clearly be more happy watching, they actually want to lessen and ruin the 3D experience for everyone else, just to match their narrow perception of what it ought to be like. The closer it is to 2D the better for these ******* idiots.

Thankfully the technology exists (and is getting better) and there are some decent directors out there so quality 3D films will continue to be made, but most of Hollywood still appears to have no clue how to make a proper 3D film and support for it at home is clearly being threatened on a number of fronts.

I'll tell you what SHOULD be dying - Region Locking of discs. That not only needs to die, it needs to be brutally murdered. Unlike 3D, region locking is something no consumer ever wanted...
Thanks given by:
FingolfinFinwe (09-25-2015), ilovenola2 (09-28-2015), mredman (10-05-2015), roundasapound (10-30-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #1053
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

the13thman for president!
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (09-28-2015), mredman (10-05-2015), rahman70 (09-28-2015), Taygan315 (09-26-2015), the13thman (09-26-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #1054
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Probably the best hope now is people buying new TVs suddenly finding out they come with 3D as standard and may give it a go. I think that's the right way to go about it because many will refuse to pay extra for something they don't really need but if it's already there they might give it a go.

Is there any edge for active 3D on a 4k set, or are those models universally passive tech?

I guess if the industry wanted to invest in attempting a re-launch of the technology, the market confusion could be cleared quickly for consumers: Full resolution, passive 3D on new sets with included glasses. Passive had its own benefits--comfort, convenience--on 1080p televisions...and, on balance, won me over; on 4K models it's a no-brainer. Pity the industry couldn't have started out with this kind of clarity...
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #1055
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Is there any edge for active 3D on a 4k set, or are those models universally passive tech?
The active 3D "edge" for resolving Full HD 1080P 3D ended with 1080P display technology. With 4K, full 1080P 3D resolution is now possible with passive, yet some manufacturers still use active, but for what benefit?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #1056
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:

I guess if the industry wanted to invest in attempting a re-launch of the technology, the market confusion could be cleared quickly for consumers: Full resolution, passive 3D on new sets with included glasses. Passive had its own benefits--comfort, convenience--on 1080p televisions...and, on balance, won me over; on 4K models it's a no-brainer. Pity the industry couldn't have started out with this kind of clarity...
Passive all the way for me. I was a late adopter or 3D TV and that's because as a glasses wearer I found active 3D uncomfortable. Sometimes I could see double imaging, and the syncing was a pain when I tried them. Passive 3D was a revelation for me, and personally the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of losing vertical resolution on my 1080p display. I have a pair of clip-on 3D lenses for my glasses that cost all of a couple of quid on eBay.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #1057
Banned

Mar 2010

I can't watch passive so if 3D heads that way it'll lose a big customer.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #1058

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I can't watch passive so if 3D heads that way it'll lose a big customer.
Why can't you watch passive?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #1059
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertec View Post
Why can't you watch passive?
It gives me a stinking headache that's why I can't go to the cinema to watch 3D
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #1060
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
It gives me a stinking headache that's why I can't go to the cinema to watch 3D
If you truly do get headaches with 3D, you might want to see an optometrist. Some optometrists say that headaches during 3D viewing can sometimes be a sign of eye problems or a problem with the prescription if the person wears glasses or contacts.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping