Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.49
4 hrs ago
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.79

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 AM   #401
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Any chance the Jp Broly release has anything English friendly on it? Dub or subs?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #402
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
Dub or subs?
Neither.
Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #403
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Nope. No subs or dub.
Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #404
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Dragon Ball Super: Broly has been added to Caps a Holic

Now the true horrors of FUNimation's encode are made clear for all to see!
The FUNi BD is not as bad as the Dutch Blu-ray. The Caps-a-holic comparison doesn't show the worst bits of that monstrosity.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #405

Jun 2019

Iíve seen the source files from which the DCPís were created. Toeiís colorists graded it for cinema (DCIP3).
Funimation and Periscoop used the cinema grade for their Bluray releases. Iíve heard from Periscoop that they wanted to stick as close as possible to the cinematic releaseÖ to please the fans. Apparently the fans on this forum feel differently about this.
Why Toei used a more neutral grading for the Japanese and UK release, I donít know.
It has more magenta in it, personally I like the yellow/green cinematic version better.
In my opinion itís just a matter of taste.
The Dutch BD was mastered in Scenarist. I think the JP and UK BDís where created with the same software. The graded master has compression artifacts. I think JP and UK BDís where created with an ungraded neutral tif/dpx sequence of the entire feature directly from the animation studio.
Grading tends to exaggerate artifacts from the source.
In terms of audio, the Japanese track is full range uncompressed, just as a you want to hear it in the theatres, while the English dub has compression, to stick to the TV audio loudness standards. This was the decision of the dubbing studio.
As a fan, Iím not sure why most of you guys donít stick to the OV? It was meant to be that way by itís creators. Dubbing is just a marketing tool to release a film for a wider audience.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (06-14-2019), MattPerdue (06-25-2019), NLScavenger (06-12-2019), professorwho (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #406

Feb 2017

I prefer Goku to be voiced by a man, Sean Schemmel does a fantastic job. All respect to the Japanese VA though for doing so much work at her age.

For example when he turns Blue in the Broly movie, the English VA sounds like a grown man who just got the shit kicked out of him while the Japanese sounds like a high pitched child exerting themselves. It's personal preference obviously but I prefer the former but all power to you if you prefer the latter.
Thanks given by:
chrizzz (06-13-2019), CrazyBlu-RayFan (07-18-2019), Jackson_H (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #407
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzz View Post
Iíve seen the source files from which the DCPís were created. Toeiís colorists graded it for cinema (DCIP3).
Funimation and Periscoop used the cinema grade for their Bluray releases. Iíve heard from Periscoop that they wanted to stick as close as possible to the cinematic releaseÖ to please the fans. Apparently the fans on this forum feel differently about this.
Why Toei used a more neutral grading for the Japanese and UK release, I donít know.
It has more magenta in it, personally I like the yellow/green cinematic version better.
The Dutch BD was mastered in Scenarist. I think the JP and UK BDís where created with the same software. The graded master has compression artifacts. I think JP and UK BDís where created with an ungraded neutral tif/dpx sequence of the entire feature directly from the animation studio.
In terms of audio, the Japanese track is full range uncompressed, just as a you want to hear it in the theatres, while the English dub has compression, to stick to the TV audio loudness standards. This was the decision of the dubbing studio.
As a fan, Iím not sure why most of you guys donít stick to the OV? It was meant to be that way by itís creators. Dubbing is just a marketing tool to release a film for a wider audience.
What works in the cinema environment doesnít necessarily work at home in my opinion. The greenish D63 whitepoint of P3 is not very noticeable in the dark and controlled environment known as the cinema, where the only illuminating object is the big screen. The average viewers eyes will adapt to D63 due to chromatic adaptation.

The thing is, the average living room isnít like the cinema. The greenish D63 whitepoint stands out in the brighter living room environments where D65 is the more commonly accepted standard.

Regardless of oneís preference, the shifted gamma and the enhanced banding and artifacts on the Dutch Blu-ray are not very pretty. I certainly hope that the encoding pipeline is improved in the future.

Now that you mention Scenarist, do you happen to know if the discontinued CineVision encoder was used? It was previously included with Scenarist. CineVision has a bug with certain QuickTime masters that introduces a gamma shift in the encode.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (06-14-2019), professorwho (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #408

Jun 2019

I've noticed that an image handled by software like PS can cause shifts in color and brightness, if you compare it to the same image handled by AE or PR. So how about image capturing software to create screenshots?

If you import an MKV into, for instance AE or PR, it recognizes the colorspace of the source. Ideally you would have MKV's of all Broly BD releases, put that into the same editing software and export it with the right color profile. That would make it a fair test.

Last edited by chrizzz; 06-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #409
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

???

That has pretty much nothing to do with what Scavenger asked...
Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #410
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

^If chrizzz cannot or doesn't want to answer it, that's fine by me. No worries.

Quote:
I've noticed that an image handled by software like PS can cause shifts in color and brightness, if you compare it to the same image handled by AE or PR. So how about image capturing software to create screenshots?

If you import an MKV into, for instance AE or PR, it recognizes the colorspace of the source. Ideally you would have MKV's of all Broly BD releases, put that into the same editing software and export it with the right color profile. That would make it a fair test.
There is software out there that cannot properly decode Rec.709 content such as Blu-ray. One example is the most popular PC mediaplayer VLC. VLC uses a Rec.601 matrix for Rec.709 content, so colors are always wrong in the screenshots.

I captured the NL and UK screenshots directly from the M2TS files with DGAVCIndex (Included with DGAVCDec). The screenshots were saved in BMP format and I used optipng to losslessly compress them to PNG files. The PNG metadata only includes the bare minimum, so it only includes the header, image data and end-of-image-marker, no color profiles.

I think Footlong Shoe captured the US and JP screenshots from lossless MKV rips with VirtualDub2, which produces results that are virtually indistinguishable from DGAVCIndex. VirtualDub2 appears to ignore the colorspace info, so the decode format needs to be setup manually (Rec.709, 16-235, 4:2:0 YCbCr). VirtualDub2 PNG screenshots also only have the header, image data and end-of-image-marker and no color profiles.

Not from Broly, but here is one shot from another Blu-ray captured with DGAVCindex and VirtualDub2: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/1446
DGAVCIndex screenshot was captured from the M2TS, VirtualDub2 screenshot from MKV.

Last edited by NLScavenger; 06-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Thanks given by:
chrizzz (06-17-2019), Footlong Shoe (06-14-2019), professorwho (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:37 AM   #411

May 2017
Garner, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
I think Footlong Shoe captured the US and JP screenshots from lossless MKV rips with VirtualDub2, which produces results that are virtually imperceptible from DGAVCIndex. VirtualDub2 appears to ignore the colorspace info, so the decode format needs to be setup manually (Rec.709, 16-235, 4:2:0 YCbCr). VirtualDub2 PNG screenshots also only have the header, image data and end-of-image-marker and no color profiles.
This is indeed exactly what I did, if that's any value to the conversation.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #412

May 2009
Australia

Quote:
Do you happen to know which grading the Australian/NZ Madman release will use?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #413
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
Do you happen to know which grading the Australian/NZ Madman release will use?
Same as Manga UK:

Quote:
Good news, guys! The @Madman release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly is confirmed to be using the MangaUK master and won't have the green tint!

https://twitter.com/MozillaVulpix/st...92464899309568
Thanks given by:
professorwho (06-15-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #414

Jun 2019

FOX is the company that distributes the masters to the local distributors. They send an identical master to Funimation and Persicoop (green tint with visible compression artifacts).
This was also the master for the international DCP, this was shown in theaters all over the world.
Toei did some remastering/grading after the worldwide theatrical release and send this out via FOX. This was too late for the US and NL BD release, but still in time for the UK, JP and AUS BD release.
Every release from now on should be based on the new master.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (06-20-2019), NLScavenger (06-19-2019), professorwho (06-19-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #415
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Steelbook fans may want to check out the Italian steelbook. The design is a bit different from the UK/US steelbook.

https://www.animeclick.it/news/81360...imited-edition

[Show spoiler]
Old 07-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #416

Oct 2016
EU (Belgium)

French edition for Broly, no green teint, but quite a lot of banding/artifact.

https://imgur.com/a/7LeqmHq?fbclid=I...sYAS8nAMESWgbg

Screens from AnimeHD (with a correct setup, no Leawoo crappy player)
Thanks given by:
professorwho (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #417
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuripa View Post
French edition for Broly, no green teint, but quite a lot of banding/artifact.

https://imgur.com/a/7LeqmHq?fbclid=I...sYAS8nAMESWgbg

Screens from AnimeHD (with a correct setup, no Leawoo crappy player)
French BD:

UK BD (captured using madvr):

UK BD (captured using DGAVCIndex):

Pretty sure the French BD screenshots were captured using madvr. I wonder if the reduced banding in the madvr screenshots has something to do with madvr's internal 16-bit processing.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #418

Oct 2016
EU (Belgium)

Indeed, MadVR was used, I don't know wich version was used tho.
Mine is an Old one, in this case it was probably a newer version.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #419
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

The Hong Kong Blu-ray of Broly was released a few days ago. English subtitles are included. Apparently it's on a BD25. Don't know if it has that green tint.

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_...roductID=17090

EDIT: Backcover (source)

Last edited by NLScavenger; 07-14-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #420

Jun 2017

Although it says Region A, I've seen hong kong BDs be region free regardless. I wonder if that's the case here. If it is and the green tint is off, I will surely buy this version.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime