Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
10 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.66
8 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.93

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 02-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
LOL I still have the Sony 3D movie viewer sitting in a box somewhere that I haven't touched in like 4 years.

Funnily enough CEX will give me almost the same amount for it that a VR would cost me, so I may just be able to have both!
VR will blow you away I think. The games are immersive like you wouldn't believe.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi Guys,

OK, dumb question.

Obviously this headset is meant for the Sony Play Station.

Are there other head sets out there or in the works that can be used with our 3D blu ray players? Just the thought of seeing these perhaps in an 120 degree experience has my heart pacing.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

This really isn't a very good replacement for a 3D TV at all. PSVR is limited to 960x1080 resolution per eye. Forcing a 16:9 Blu-ray image yields a 960x540, sub-HD image per eye.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #44
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
This really isn't a very good replacement for a 3D TV at all. PSVR is limited to 960x1080 resolution per eye. Forcing a 16:9 Blu-ray image yields a 960x540, sub-HD image per eye.
But huge screen.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

Now this might give me that final push to pick up PSVR.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Even while I think I'd rather watch 3D blus on a TV, this is great news. We've heard so much about 3D support being dropped recently, that's it's great to hear about it being added somewhere.
Thanks given by:
BobbyMcGee (02-04-2017), master gandhi (02-14-2017), nycomet (02-04-2017), Steedeel (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #47

Dec 2007
New York City
Default PS4 Firmware Update 4.5 adds support for 3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

I am curious to demo this. I'm looking to buy an LG OLED in the next year and this would allow me to still have an option for 3D if I went with a newer model.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/...ures-detailed/

Last edited by CRD13NYC; 02-03-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #48
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Quality will be granier than we are used to with normal 3D. However, this is still good news. Looking forward to trying it out.
So on the mid size setting the 1080 x 1920 image would be on 540 x 960 of each of the OLED "eyes". So an upgraded future 2160 x 3840 panel headset would show all the BD 3D res.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-14-2017), Steedeel (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #49

Sep 2014
California
USA

I was going to post this Youtube news last week , but it did not relate much with Bluray Movies, so i'm glad to see 3D Blueray support also.

The movies will be very watchable , but not close to 3D TV quality.... yet.

My PSVR kind of reminds me when i got my first PS1 , you can see what the future will be...... and it should be amazing. I bought it for the holidays and everyone (about 15 family members) that has tried it has felt the same way.

Quote:
YouTube PS4 app gets update for 360-degree video support on PSVR

The 1.09 update for the PlayStation 4 YouTube app has been rolled out, which allows users to now watch 360-degree and videos while wearing the PlayStation VR (PSVR) headset. It can be downloaded right now!

http://www.psu.com/news/31863/ps4-yo...9-psvr-support
The 3D videos on youtube are a mixed bag , most videos are low resolution and hard to watch but there are a few that are worth watching.

You can update or download the PS4 VR Youtube app in the PS Store

The HTC Vive also is getting a new 3D Movie app soon ....

Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #50

Oct 2012

Now, when LG, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Panasonic, etc. announces 3D is coming back to their TV's, we can all celebrate!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #51
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
So on the mid size setting the 1080 x 1920 image would be on 540 x 960 of each of the OLED "eyes". So an upgraded future 2160 x 3840 panel headset would show all the BD 3D res.
I must confess, I'm more a consumer of all this 4K, 3D, Bluray goodness, I'm not really that informed about the tech side. All I know is that for VR to display impressive 360 video, it will need higher res screens and obviously the source material needs to be 4K or better.

As for the flat cinema screen

I presume that 3D on the headset will look the same as Bluray on it, in other words slightly lacking in detail, ever so slightly fuzzy and granier (but obviously 3D lol) the trade off is a huge screen in front of you. For animated stuff the trade off is less so, presumably because there is less movement and colours are very bold to start off with.
To be honest, after watching 30 mins of The Dark Knight, I forgot about the problems and just enjoyed the film. It's more an occasional pleasure than anything else, I wouldn't want to watch all my films this way.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
I was going to post this Youtube news last week , but it did not relate much with Bluray Movies, so i'm glad to see 3D Blueray support also.

The movies will be very watchable , but not close to 3D TV quality.... yet.

My PSVR kind of reminds me when i got my first PS1 , you can see what the future will be...... and it should be amazing. I bought it for the holidays and everyone (about 15 family members) that has tried it has felt the same way.

The 3D videos on youtube are a mixed bag , most videos are low resolution and hard to watch but there are a few that are worth watching.

You can update or download the PS4 VR Youtube app in the PS Store

The HTC Vive also is getting a new 3D Movie app soon ....

Can you reccomend which ones (YouTube) are worth watching?

I feel the same way as you. I am more than happy to have the slightly downgraded graphics when it means I can have such immersive experiences. I am desperate for this tech to succeed, as I believe, like you, we will be in for some serious treats in the next generation headset. For a first gen product, I am delighted.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #53
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Guys, something has just dawned on me. Why don't we try those old 3D blurays with the cardboard glasses? (anaglyph?) just place the glasses inside the headset and see what happens!

I have a couple to try. My Bloody Valentine and Coraline.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #54
Expert Member

Aug 2011
the Zoo

If reviews are even somewhat positive this will get me to buy a Playstation 4 and Playstation VR.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I was just asking myself, do I REALLY want to go on holidays for a week or do I want to buy a PS4 and VR headset...
PSVR is a huge let down tbh. This is cool news. But even the better headsets (the psvr is the budget one of the main three) still have issues with films. Maybe the next gen headsets will fix this issue. Personally I say do the holiday. PSVR isn't going anywhere.

In any case this is awesome news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy hot View Post
If reviews are even somewhat positive this will get me to buy a Playstation 4 and Playstation VR.
PC and OR or if your budget could manage it a vive would be the better option tbh.

[edit: to be clear if you already have a ps4 and it only just fits into your budget it is an awesome choice. However if you don't have a ps4 yet, pc with a oc or vive seems to be the way to go, and yes you can esily build a pc that outperforms the ps4pro for the same price without a need for any online fee].

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 02-03-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #56
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

My VR arrives on the 7th.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #57

Nov 2010

I just bought a PS VR after months of waiting and searching around the holidays for one.

I could NOT be happier with the 400+ dollars I spent on this thing holy good god. I wanted it for the games, but now I realize the best reason to own one is the Cinema mode.

I literally have an IMAX screen in my living room now. You don't even need a TV at all to make this work. You can even lay back in a recliner and adjust the screen so it's on the ceiling. The headset is super light and barely more of a burden than say, wearing the IMAX 3d glasses in the theater.

I can not imagine how 3D films are going to be. For a videophile, the quality may (most likely will) bother you, but it's much crisper than even I imagined. I thought it'd be a blurry mess, but nope. Some of the best blu rays really pop. The RoboCop remaster and the Dark Knight Rises IMAX scenes look absolutely phenomenal.

Any hit in picture quality is made up for in image size. The largest setting is comparable to a real 70mm IMAX screen. More like larger than an AMC IMAX (liemax) screen, but not actual real IMAX size. Middle setting is about a standard theater screen, and the smallest is basically a giant flatscreen TV maybe about 75-80 inches, but the quality takes a massive hit. The further away the image, or the smaller it is, the more pixelated it becomes. It feels like your sitting in an isolated black space, which I love. I'm willing to bet they will be patching in backgrounds and adjustable unique surrounding spaces, as this thing becomes more popular. This mode can not go largely unnoticed, it's too awesome.

Best part is that you can hook up any HDMI device to the PS VR when using Cinematic mode, so Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, and other Blu ray players. I'm not sure how it will change the quality, but they are definitely compatible, and should be pretty good. I plan on testing it out later tonight.

Last edited by TPerryoo7; 02-04-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-14-2017), Steedeel (02-04-2017), the13thman (02-04-2017), Zivouhr (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #58
Power Member

Feb 2008
Berkeley, CA

i want to try it as well, i don't have the beta for this update but i wish i did so i could try it. It would be great because i was planning to get a 2016 OLED since they still do 3D but if this works well then i'll be happy.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #59
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgret View Post
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017...-starts-today/

"3D Blu-ray support for PlayStation VR

If you’re a PS VR owner, you can now use your PS4 to play 3D Blu-ray discs and watch them in stereoscopic 3D via your headset."

This is great news!!
Thanks a lot for posting the news Kevgret.
Aside from more games like Resident Evil 7 PSVR3D, which are full game experiences in stereo 3D Virtual Reality, I was waiting for the compatibility of stereo 3D blu ray 3D playback. There were rumors of a separate app that would need to be created to make it work, but this is much better since it's direct from Sony's PS4 update for the PSVR hardware.

This video waits to announce the best part of this update at the 4 minute mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Guys,

OK, dumb question.

Obviously this headset is meant for the Sony Play Station.

Are there other head sets out there or in the works that can be used with our 3D blu ray players? Just the thought of seeing these perhaps in an 120 degree experience has my heart pacing.
Great question. The Vive, Occulus Rift, PSVR are all stereo 3D devices, so it's likely that if Sony is offering it, it would be available for those other systems as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Good point, though it's still a welcome addition and proof that Sony recognized the 3D fan market persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Guys, something has just dawned on me. Why don't we try those old 3D blurays with the cardboard glasses? (anaglyph?) just place the glasses inside the headset and see what happens!

I have a couple to try. My Bloody Valentine and Coraline.
That would be a fun test I imagine. Give it a try. That brings up the point that I believe the stereo 3D movie will probably be fullscreen, without a movie theater or empty screen in the distance to look at. I'm guessing there won't be any virtual space.

The only reason I say that, is because it would be some impressive engineering if they could find a way to take each unique eye perspective (required to see in 3D) and manage to push that screen into the distance as if you were sitting far away from the screen, while still maintaining the 3D effect as you turn your head through the 3D virtual theater space.

If they can do virtual space with a blu ray 3D movie, hopefully it'll be an option, since I mostly want to stay focused on the 3Dmovie I'm watching. If there's a virtual theater with seats, that would be a cool optional effect they could add, if it's possible since real theaters have special 3D film projection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy hot View Post
The stereo 3D effect will be there, strong 3D remaining; it's just a matter of the resolution one will be interested in watching it with. The PSVR on PS4 having a reduced resolution since it's a more affordable tech compared to the Rift and Vive VR units for PC.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Murder Capital, USA home of the Stanley Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPerryoo7 View Post
Best part is that you can hook up any HDMI device to the PS VR when using Cinematic mode, so Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, and other Blu ray players. I'm not sure how it will change the quality, but they are definitely compatible, and should be pretty good. I plan on testing it out later tonight.
The Wii U doesn't play Blu-rays or DVDs for that matter, unfortunately. But I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you find out about using it without the PS4.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology