Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.99

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steins;Gate 0 - Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #41

Mar 2018

There is no interlaced problem, I insist a thousand and one times, stop looking at the YouTube video that I have posted, that video is from the HDTV (which is broadcast interlaced and its encoding is horrible) and the first capture is of the Opening, which has lower quality than the chapter, possibly (im not sure about this) the Opening contains digital animation mixed with cel.

DVD R2J:
https://i.imgur.com/ePea13F.png

Spanish BD:
https://i.imgur.com/zhzf65Z.png

Last edited by fabrebatalla18; 05-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrebatalla18 View Post
DVD R2J:
Spanish BD:
Those make for a much better comparison. My PC monitor isn't amazing (and has dust on it), but I think the BD looks better. Not sure if the dust (on my monitor) is hiding flaws, but it looks fine on a cheap 16:10 monitor I use.
Thanks given by:
fabrebatalla18 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
I was bored, so here's that shot paired up with the Viz DVD:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113557
Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #44

Dec 2016

Quote:
There is no interlaced problem
I can spot the interlace artefacts in the shots you've posted. I wasn't using the youtube video...
Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #45

Mar 2018

For example? And have you compared the R2J DVD with the BD to say that it is an upscale and that there are no more details than on DVD? Because I see tons of details that you could never see on the DVD.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #46

Dec 2016

Quote:
For example? And have you compared the R2J DVD with the BD to say that it is an upscale and that there are no more details than on DVD? Because I see tons of details that you could never see on the DVD.
They brightened the source. I don't spot any new details in the BD screens. the MPEG-2 video encode is quite dark, and dark causes more compression artefacts making it hard to make out some of those details.

It is not for the final time a rescan. The cost of rescanning an anime is so insane they would of 100% put it on sale in JP to reclaim the costs.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #47

Mar 2018

It was already "sold" in Japan, they sold it to Japanese TV for their HD broadcasts, and I imagine that eventually a Japanese Bluray will come out (which I imagine is delayed by the licensing problem with some OP / ED).

Last edited by fabrebatalla18; 05-10-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #48

Dec 2016

Quote:
It was already "sold" in Japan, they sold it to Japanese TV for their HD broadcasts, and I imagine that eventually a Japanese Bluray will come out (which I imagine is delayed by the licensing problem with some OP / ED).
You obviously want to believe what you want to believe. All I can tell you it's not a rescan, and it has artefacts from an obvious interlace master. If your happy with it that's fine, but you shouldn't try and represent the product as something more than it is.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #49

Mar 2018

I think having the product and seeing it in motion at its highest quality (BDMV), you think based on screenshots and youtube videos, when you see it moving in Bluray you may change your mind (others have already changed their mind to see him).
Old 05-10-2018, 02:35 AM   #50

Dec 2016

Quote:
I think having the product and seeing it in motion at its highest quality (BDMV), you think based on screenshots and youtube videos, when you see it moving in Bluray you may change your mind (others have already changed their mind to see him).
I think you need your eyes checked if you still think its a rescan. It's an upscale of a DVD/TV Era source, which has been brightened, and probably denoised along with a increase to brightness levels.

It isn't a rescan (which is the process of actually getting a brand new source from the original film reel), because if it was it wouldn't have interlace artefacts which it does have. No amount of telling me if I saw it in person changes the fact I can see interlace artefacts suddenly disappear.

It isn't a bad upscale, but an upscale is an upscale.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
Expert Member

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambadelta View Post
I think you need your eyes checked if you still think its a rescan. It's an upscale of a DVD/TV Era source, which has been brightened, and probably denoised along with a increase to brightness levels.

It isn't a rescan (which is the process of actually getting a brand new source from the original film reel), because if it was it wouldn't have interlace artefacts which it does have. No amount of telling me if I saw it in person changes the fact I can see interlace artefacts suddenly disappear.

It isn't a bad upscale, but an upscale is an upscale.
I can see exactly what you’re talking about; the screenshots provided even look like they come from the same source master lol.

In regard to the topic in general, I won’t buy any BD of the show if it isn’t a rescan (I’ve learned my lesson from Viz’s Sailor Moon releases). The latter seasons, if they actually did go digital, can also be repurposed if they still have the digital intermediates; just look at how good South Park’s earlier seasons look
Old 05-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

I’d be all for an “Inuyasha” Blu Ray. I’d rather prefer an SD on Blu unless the cel-animated seasons get a rescan; Sunrise has had a pretty good track record with their shows getting remastered with some hurdles here and there.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

My opinion is this- SD animated content would be better off presented as SD on BD. Granted, use MPEG-4 AVC and a higher Bitrate than DVD (10+mbps), but it would be a better representation of the source than a lazy upscale.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #54

Feb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Twilight View Post
I was bored, so here's that shot paired up with the Viz DVD:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113557
No way this is a new scan of the film cells.

Where is the grain?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2026 View Post
Where is the grain?
I can think of two ways this is a thing.

First, the early episodes were shot on film and this is an upscale of a SD scan of it.

Or Second, the series was done on cels but digitally scanned without film. As in, the cels were digitally scanned instead of the genga/douga of modern anime.

Either way, it does look like a cel based anime, but the source (for this Blu-ray) is unknown- it seems like an older scan, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #56

Feb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I can think of two ways this is a thing.

First, the early episodes were shot on film and this is an upscale of a SD scan of it.
Looks exactly like that.
Looks better than the DVD. But not that much better.
Judging from one picture, seems like a decent upscale, but nothing more than that.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #57

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Either way, it does look like a cel based anime, but the source (for this Blu-ray) is unknown- it seems like an older scan, but I could be wrong.
it wouldn't have interlace artefacts if it was a new scan so its an old scan.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambadelta View Post
it wouldn't have interlace artefacts if it was a new scan so its an old scan.
I was confident it was an old scan, but didnít want to outright state it due to not having 100% confidence.

Yeah. It seems like the original scan.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
mp3dom:
I don't know where this source comes from. Looking just at the shots there are some residual combing at least in one frame, but this doesn't necessarily means an upscale... it can still be a true scan (it can be like Cowboy Bebop, were the main feature is on film but the CG is made at 60i).
Well, if it's an upscale, I'm really curious about the used algorithm because seems really really good and is very difficult to get the same results from an upscale made from a 480p source.
I asked mp3dom about Inuyasha, considering he is from the Italian company Dynit who released it on DVD years ago. He also said this to say about the masters used in the DVD release:

Quote:
At least in some part of Europe (but may be worldwide except Japan) the master were analogue or coming from analogue composite source, because I saw videos with rainbow and dot crawl effect.
Thanks given by:
fabrebatalla18 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #60

Mar 2018

How many times do I have to say that the remaster has not done Spain, has Sunrise done it? It's not 2018, it's 2013, when it was broadcast in HD in Japan (Kids Station and NTV Plus).
What does it have to do that in European countries the master used in the past was analogical with this new release?

I have seen the video of this Bluray and it has neither rainbow nor has dot crawl.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime