Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (1 hour left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.19

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Steins;Gate 0 - Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$35.99
1 hr ago
Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #401
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Very disappointing that they didn't do the the removable clear slip with the puzzle pieces printed on it, like the JP release had.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #402
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Very disappointing that they didn't do the the removable clear slip with the puzzle pieces printed on it, like the JP release had.
Disappointing the new 'remastered' disc looks worse than the old one.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (04-18-2019), Kyle15 (04-19-2019), NLScavenger (04-18-2019), professorwho (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #403
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
The detail loss is there, look at middle divider of the sliding glass door on the building in the background right in front of Miwa's eyes...
Also, the suggestion of text on the cover of the book that's right in front of her chin. It's just kind of suggested in the original, but now it's not even that - just a blob of color.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #404
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post
Disappointing the new 'remastered' disc looks worse than the old one.
Yeah, after seeing the early screencaps, I'm glad I grabbed the old release before it shot up in price.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #405

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
I'll be honest, i prefer the new release over the old. I'm not seeing any comparisons that show detail loss as a result of the DNR so that doesn't bother me. It's a cel animated movie, being as close to the original cels as possible will always looks better to me. Sure it would have been nice if it wasn't so heavy and if the edge enhancment had been toned down a touch, but it's not even close to being the worst DNR job ever. I do wish they'd cleaned up some of the print damage as well though (see Cap 3 in NLScavengers post for an example). The colour has been redone well, not too overboard but everything looks fresh, it should have been done right in the first place but at least they've done it now. Of course i'm dissapointed this wasn't a new transfer as promised, but what they've done looks good to me. I own more copies of this movie than i care to admit, and actually have one of the original cels too, so i've seen a lot of variation and the new release looks about as good as it can get without a re-scan. Is it worth an upgrade though? Maybe, depends on how much you enjoy the movie. From what i've seen the English audio is still lossy (and probably still has the Cham song error) which is the bigger dissapointment to me, so there's no upgrade there. The Satoshi lecture is nice, but it's been around for a while and again it's a shame they couldn't license the full length version or his directors commentary. It really is the books that's sold me on the Anime Ltd edition.
I have to agree entirely - the new BD looks far better than the older one (I have both as well). While I am always supportive of film grain, I am sometimes a bit more torn in regards to animated features like this. On that note, I think the old transfer just looked so dark/muddy at times to my eyes and I quite prefer the new transfer.

I'm all up for varying opinions on how much someone likes a specific transfer but I consider this one a total win for the new release.
Thanks given by:
DukeTogo84 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #406
Special Member

Apr 2010

I'm more irritated when they add artificial grain to digital anime like Intrigue in the Bakumatsu and Golgo 13, to what, add detail? Make it "more cinematic"? (Barf)

(I'm a supporter of "if there was grain originally let it be.")
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (04-19-2019), professorwho (04-19-2019), zenpai (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #407
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

Mardock Scramble had very thick artificial grain (almost on 16mm levels), and I thought it added a lot of atmosphere.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #408
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Sometimes flashback scenes have artificial grain, which I'm fine with, but then you get full shows that add it, and unless every other element is supposed to look retro, then I'd say it's unnecessary.

Megalobox is an example of a missed opportunity- instead of compositing it at 720p then downscaling to 360p then upscaling to 1080p (yes, they really did that) why not just add film grain at the 720p composite? That way image quality wouldn't be ruined.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:51 AM   #409
Power Member

Jan 2011
Alabama

If grain was originally there, leave it.

If artificial grain was added intentionally to a digital production, leave it.
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (04-19-2019), cfx (04-19-2019), GeoffOliver (04-19-2019), kevers7290 (04-19-2019), Pyoko (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #410
Special Member

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Mardock Scramble had very thick artificial grain (almost on 16mm levels), and I thought it added a lot of atmosphere.

I thought there was something wrong with my TV, before I understood artificial grain was a thing.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #411

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post
AL Perfect Blue Ultimate Edition unboxing.

https://youtu.be/IlweWfaoI2Y
I had a FedEx tracking number popup recently coming from UK and had no clue what it could be as it mentioned Sony as the shipper.

Received the package today and it turned out to be the Perfect Blue Ultimate Edition. A little odd that I didn't receive any confirmation on shipping or anything. It shows 4/29 as release, so I wasn't expecting it yet.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #412

Dec 2014

I ripped both the standard and ultimate copies of the Perfect Blue release from AllTheAnime to an MKV file.

Here's a quick screenshot comparison where the Ultimate is a bit improved despite the grain removal:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134256

I might be off by a frame, but it does seem like the Ultimate screenshot is slightly zoomed/cropped.

For the most part, I have not seen any specific spots where fine detail is lost, but I am not expert on it, grain removal is obvious.

EDIT: Here's a better frame for comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134266

A little loss of linework on the girl in blue's right arm near the white glow area in the Ultimate version, but missing the artifacting from the Standard version.

Last edited by golem216; 04-19-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
eastx (04-21-2019), zenpai (04-19-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #413
Special Member

Jun 2012
UK

Got my Ultimate Edition today too, it's a beast of a book! I had the boards already from the original Japanese Blu special edition but they were collected in a DVD case sized softcover book. Seeing them in large print highlights a lot more detail and the book itself is a really sturdy hardback. The companion book is nice too, having all the miscellaneous artwork collected is great and again even though it's a softcover the pages are high quality. It's a really nice edition, it almost feels like the movie is a bonus to the rest of it.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #414

Jun 2019

Gave this a watch last night and while I'll always hold my signed, out of print DVD copy in higher regards I was thoroughly pleased watching it as it looked better on my display than before. Film itself still holds up remarkably well, if not better given the light shined on certain stories that've come out of Hollywood. When Mima cries out, "of course I didn't want to do it, but I didn't want to say that in front of all those people who did so much for me." I can't help but feel like there's some dark truth to that as it may pertain to other actors out there.

Last edited by TheSpruceMoose; 06-23-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #415
Special Member

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose View Post
Gave this a watch last night and while I'll always hold my signed, out of print DVD copy in higher regards I was thoroughly pleased watching it as it looked better on my display than before. Film itself still holds up remarkably well, if not better given the light shined on certain stories that've come out of Hollywood. When Mima cries out, "of course I didn't want to do it, but I didn't want to say that in front of all those people who did so much for me." I can't help but feel like there's some dark truth to that as it may pertain to other actors out there.
Whose autograph did you get?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #416

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k View Post
Whose autograph did you get?
Wendee Lee
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-23-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime