Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
39 min ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
15 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
21 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2018
Default Next-Gen Xbox Reportedly More Powerful Than The PS5

https://sea.ign.com/xbox-one/148355/...erful-than-ps5

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04...tation-console

Sony Interactive Entertainment officially announced the PS5 this week and revealed some details about the next-gen console. According to PlayStation's lead system architect, Mark Cerny, the PS5 would be backward compatible with the PS4, have a load time over 19x faster than the PS4, 8K graphics, ray-tracing and other awesome features. While the machine by Sony has left fans excited, the team at Microsoft may have something more powerful.

Journalist Ainsley Bowden took to Twitter, claiming that the next-generation Xbox console, codename ‘Project Scarlett’, will be more advanced than Sony's system. Bowden would later say that the information comes from a known source in Microsoft who has been accurate for years on leaks. It may be possible that future Xbox console will suit up with better specifications and features, as Microsoft have made it clear that they want to have the most powerful next-generation console for the coming time.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Meh. Until they care about better games who gives a shit.
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (04-22-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
They’ve been buying up all kinds of studios this gen. So I’m pretty sure we will be seeing as better games then what we have been.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
They’ve been buying up all kinds of studios this gen. So I’m pretty sure we will be seeing as better games then what we have been.
I'll believe it when it happens.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
lol

I do believe they will have the more powerful console. But like ya said..
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Sep 2018
Canada

Best driver of launch sales is price.

Second driver is power. Then comes exclusive games.

Reason = Majority of buyers are not concerned about power & exclusivity; they want to have a system that'll play GTA, CoD, Fortnite, etc. fast and pretty.

These non-exclusive games determine the long term success of a console. AND, the size of online community is a large factor. Cheaper console, all other things being pretty much equal, drive the sales. Sales determine the size of console community and the size of console community determines major publisher's interests. XB360 had it, and now PS4 has it.

Whoever has the best PRICE x POWER combination is going to dominate. Sony has been very conservative in their hardware offerings, i.e. Sony gives you what they can while ensuring their profit. I think MS is little more aggressive in taking bold risks. Kinect was this gen's bold decision. This failed because it prioritized on EXCLUSIVITY, compromised POWER (less $ was available), and absolutely killed the PRICE (killed as in bad kill, not the good kill). Next gen's bold decision is going to packing as much power as possible while keeping the price low (and this is exactly what people want). Exclusive game is icing on the cake.

Nintendo, on the other hand, was always a player because they still had 2 out of 3; PRICE x EXCLUSIVITY (a lot of children friendly titles).

Let's look at this gen's success using some numbers (hindsight is so easy):

Console Attractive at Launch = Price x Power x Exclusivity. 3 as the top mark since there are 3 players. (In reality, price really should have top mark of 5)

PS4 = 2 x 3 x 3 = 18
XB1 = 1 x 2 x 1 = 2
Switch = 3 x 1 x 2 = 6

What about next gen? Sony has already stated that their price will match the technology offerings (sound similar to XB1X, does it not?) This places PS5's launch price higher than U$400, most likely at U$450. This makes MS's job easy, IF, XB2 is more powerful than PS5 as initial rumour suggests. MS can offer XB2 at the same price or really drive the sales at U$400.

At the launch of this gen it was initialled stated, 'this is not a short term win' but short term dominance absolutely determines the long term dominance because of the importance of the SIZE of the community & $ available to consumers.

Sony cannot price PS5 high because they will lose. MS will price XB2 as same as PS5 or lower to win back the community. Either way, it is a win-win for us consumers.

Last edited by GRD43L; 04-22-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
lol

I do believe they will have the more powerful console. But like ya said..
Old 04-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #8

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post
Best driver of launch sales is price.

Second driver is power. Then comes exclusive games.

Reason = Majority of buyers are not concerned about power & exclusivity; they want to have a system that'll play GTA, CoD, Fortnite, etc. fast and pretty.
At launch the majority of non-exclusive games will likely also be available on previous generation systems (just as they were in the 7th and 8th generations). If people just want a cheap system that will play the latest GTA, CoD, and Fortnite games then they won't be buying a PS5 or new Xbox at launch at all they'll just stick with PS4 or XBO.

Let's look at the PS4 launch games as an example:
[Show spoiler]
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution
Call of Duty: Ghosts
DC Universe Online
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
Minecraft
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
The PlayRoom
Resogun
Skylanders: Swap Force
Tiny Brains
Warframe
War Thunder
Watch Dogs

All of them were also available on PS3 and Xbox 360 except Killzone, Knack, and Drive Club which were exclusively available on PS4. Not a single game was available on both PS4 and Xbox One, but not available on PS3 or Xbox 360. Exclusive games are always important for anyone who is buying a new console near launch. Everyone else will just stick with previous consoles until the new ones drop in price.

Furthermore since the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games that means the PS5 will automatically have a price advantage for all current PS4 owners since they can sell their PS4 to offset the cost. The same will likely apply to Xbox One owners upgrading to the new Xbox as well, but there are a lot less of them.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 04-22-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Power means crap when you dont have the games

PlayStation has a fuller lineup of exclusives compared to MS

MS Top Exclusives are

Forza
Halo
Crimson Dragons
Sunset Overdrive

Playstation

Uncharted
Last of Us 1/2
GOW
Gran Turismo
MLB Series
Final Fantasy VII <-- Make no mistake when this drops it will be Huge

MS was smart buying up studios this Gen but they screwed the pooch by letting themselves get into this situation to begin with.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #10

Sep 2018
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Power means crap when you dont have the games

PlayStation has a fuller lineup of exclusives compared to MS

MS Top Exclusives are

Forza
Halo
Crimson Dragons
Sunset Overdrive

Playstation

Uncharted
Last of Us 1/2
GOW
Gran Turismo
MLB Series
Final Fantasy VII <-- Make no mistake when this drops it will be Huge

MS was smart buying up studios this Gen but they screwed the pooch by letting themselves get into this situation to begin with.
And large game publishers go to the console with the larger fanbase. Exclusive games, while great, do not have steer the direction significantly.

As for Final Fantasy VII being huge . . . XB has XV, Maxima, VII, IX, X, and XII so there is no longer Sony advantage.

MS did botch the launch but they have learned their lesson and changed their direction completely. It's not about what they messed up in the past, it's where they are now and their direction going forward.

Lastly about the power meaning crap, Sony+fans were all over MS not having enough power at launch. It wasn't power that shifted the momentum from MS>Sony, it was the unnecessary Kinect + $100 above the price of PS4. That was a no brainer.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

The next Xbox may have a slight edge over PS5 when comparing spec sheets. However I guarantee you on-screen there will be no appreciable differences in game performance. This won't be a repeat of the PS4 Pro/X1X. The X1X came out a year later than the Pro and cost 100.00 more. Assuming that both the PS5/next Xbox launches next year, both consoles are going to be WELL within the same ballpark of performance. It'll be like comparing the latest iPhone with the latest Galaxy. If the next Xbox is significantly more powerful than PS5, its because it's either significantly more expensive and/or coming at a significantly later date.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 04-22-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post
And large game publishers go to the console with the larger fanbase. Exclusive games, while great, do not have steer the direction significantly.

As for Final Fantasy VII being huge . . . XB has XV, Maxima, VII, IX, X, and XII so there is no longer Sony advantage.

MS did botch the launch but they have learned their lesson and changed their direction completely. It's not about what they messed up in the past, it's where they are now and their direction going forward.

Lastly about the power meaning crap, Sony+fans were all over MS not having enough power at launch. It wasn't power that shifted the momentum from MS>Sony, it was the unnecessary Kinect + $100 above the price of PS4. That was a no brainer.
Power does mean crap it wasnt power that shifted the wars it was the fact MS was FUBAR with the entire game being locked to the console thing at launch at 500 USD. The original Xbox One would not allow you to sell used games or trade them. MANY people said despite MS reneging on that 4 weeks after E3 they would not purchase a Xbox simply because MS could turn that all back on at any time.

Not to mention the Kinect always being on at a time when MS got nailed for invading privacy rights and handing over personal data to the govt. Those were MS 3 biggest mistakes.

Quote:
Sony will have the advantage here because VII is exclusive to the PS4/5, those others you listed are cross platform. My argument was for exclusive titles not cross platform.

As I said MS bought a ton of studios this generation so I fully expect them to have a much better exclusive lineup next gen. Just right now Sony has the better exclusives which is what sells the home consoles as well as cross platform games.

MS lost some of the exclusives they had IE Titanfall, if they were truly smart they would buy one of the major studios IE Bethesda or RockStar and make those games Xbox One exclusive. Could you imagine if Jedi Fallen Order was exclusive to Xbox or GTA or Red Dead. That would be the move that would turn the tide for MS.

I always loved the Xbox controller I find it 100x more comfortable then the Dualshock PS controller. for me personally MS just made very bad launch day decisions.
Thanks given by:
GRD43L (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

We really have nothing to go on as far as how the specs will stack up. The supposedly reliable leak source was one within Microsoft, thus wouldn't be privy to PS5 specs. Neither can noticeably outperform the other without a higher price anyway.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
We really have nothing to go on as far as how the specs will stack up. The supposedly reliable leak source was one within Microsoft, thus wouldn't be privy to PS5 specs. Neither can noticeably outperform the other without a higher price anyway.
For me, it doesnt even matter. If graphics were that important to me I would play PC. No graphical difference between the two consoles will be enough to pull me out of the PlayStation ecosystem. The franchises there are too important to me. I'm already sold with PS5.
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Obsidian & Team Ninja are good ones MS bought.

Are there any other Studio’s they bought that were not already paid by MS to make exclusives for them?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:

Are there any other Studio’s they bought that were not already paid by MS to make exclusives for them?
Team Ninja (Ninja Gaiden, DoA) is a Koei Tecmo company. You mean Ninja Theory (Hellblade, Enslaved).

Inxile and Compulsion Games were not currently making exclusives when they were bought. Obsidian actually was making an exclusive back in 2011 called Stormlands but that was cancelled.
Thanks given by:
Derb (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:

MS bought 5 studios so there are currently 5 exclusives in the works, as I said I expect MS to lay some good groundwork at E3 with neither Nintendo or Sony at the conference all eyes are on MS this year.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
MS bought 5 studios so there are currently 5 exclusives in the works, as I said I expect MS to lay some good groundwork at E3 with neither Nintendo or Sony at the conference all eyes are on MS this year.
Well the next big one won’t be exclusive being Outer Worlds. After that, we’ll see. More Forza & than whatever Ninja is working on.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #19

Sep 2018
Canada

IMO, I think MS will take more risks while Sony remains conservative.

Consumers will vote for what they like with $$$. Time will certainly tell. It will be fun to see the competition unfold . . .
Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

I'm gonna end up getting both, so...

The PS5 will be my priority since I already sold my PS4 and I'll be eager to hopefully redownload my digital library of PS4 games thanks to BC. Plus, I primarily game on PC so I won't be missing many Xbox games. But I'm pretty impressed with the Xbone X and I think MS is going to put to real effort into their next console, both in terms of hardware and software. Should be a good time for gaming.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion