Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
4 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
54 min ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
4 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
14 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016
Default I think my Samsung soundbar is dying..

Has anyone ever had issues with their soundbar just constantly muting itself? Mine started doing it every few seconds. If it's not doing that, it just flips through the different inputs at rapid speed, like shuffling a deck of cards speed.

However, sometimes it will stop on the input I'm using (HDMI ARC) and work for a few minutes, and then go back to either muting or flipping fast through the inputs.

I've tried different cables, inputs, unplugging it, holding in the play and pause while it's off to reset it, everything I could find online and it ends up the same. I think maybe the soundbar is just dead/dying, which is a shame because it's only about a year and a half old.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Has anyone ever had issues with their soundbar just constantly muting itself? Mine started doing it every few seconds. If it's not doing that, it just flips through the different inputs at rapid speed, like shuffling a deck of cards speed.

However, sometimes it will stop on the input I'm using (HDMI ARC) and work for a few minutes, and then go back to either muting or flipping fast through the inputs.

I've tried different cables, inputs, unplugging it, holding in the play and pause while it's off to reset it, everything I could find online and it ends up the same. I think maybe the soundbar is just dead/dying, which is a shame because it's only about a year and a half old.
The only possibility that, your soundbar is defective. Did you buy an extended warranty for it and if not, then you may have to buy another one. What brand is, and how much did you paid for it?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

It's a Samsung, and it was like $200ish. Just thought it would last a little longer before bugging out.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
It sounds like it's knackered, but have you tried removing the batteries from the remote and blocking the IR sensor? it might be getting interference from somewhere.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

If it was me, I'd stop using ARC. That pseudo-technology has always been a poop show. Glitchy as Hell. If the soundbar will allow you to use the optical out of the TV, do that. Don't forget to go into the TV menu and switch the sound to optical out.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It sounds like it's knackered, but have you tried removing the batteries from the remote and blocking the IR sensor? it might be getting interference from somewhere.
I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
If it was me, I'd stop using ARC. That pseudo-technology has always been a poop show. Glitchy as Hell. If the soundbar will allow you to use the optical out of the TV, do that. Don't forget to go into the TV menu and switch the sound to optical out.
I could try that. I just kept reading that HDMI audio was better than Optical audio, so I've been using that.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I'll give it a try. I could try that. I just kept reading that HDMI audio was better than Optical audio, so I've been using that.
Is your soundbar HD audio compliant to warrant an HDMI connection but if not, an optical connection will be sufficient, if your soundbar is just 5.1 or has less channels.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-06-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I wouldn't use the HDMI connection on a soundbar because basically, a soundbar is used specifically for audio only. Typically, an HDMI connection is used for both video and audio. I don't know why a soundbar would have a HDMI port anyway because, soundbars doesn't have video! If it was an A/V receiver then yes, but not a soundbar, which is weird. Try the optical connection.
Newer sound bars double-up as HDMI switch boxes these days, mine is quite old and has 3 HDMI inputs and an output. Newer ones will passthrough HDCP 2.2 4K and HDR.

ARC is a decent enough system from my experience, you plug the sound bar in and use the TV remote to turn it up/down.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Newer sound bars double-up as HDMI switch boxes these days, mine is quite old and has 3 HDMI inputs and an output. Newer ones will passthrough HDCP 2.2 4K and HDR.

ARC is a decent enough system from my experience, you plug the sound bar in and use the TV remote to turn it up/down.
You're right, I forgot about the newer models. If this is the case, I would just get an inexpensive A/V receiver, with more features, functions, versatility and better sound more so than a soundbar.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You're right, I forgot about the newer models. If this is the case, I would just get an inexpensive A/V receiver, with more features, functions, versatility and better sound more so than a soundbar.
I'm renting a small one bedroom and the living room this is in is only about 10x10. A soundbar is sufficient for now.

However, this soundbar has stopped working all together now. It won't even turn on with the TV remote anymore. Guess it's time to look into something else.

Polk had the best sounding one at Best Buy, but optical only for connections. I want the soundbar to turn on with the TV, and it seems using the HDMI (ARC) is the only way to achieve that..
Old 09-17-2018, 02:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I'm renting a small one bedroom and the living room this is in is only about 10x10. A soundbar is sufficient for now.

However, this soundbar has stopped working all together now. It won't even turn on with the TV remote anymore. Guess it's time to look into something else.

Polk had the best sounding one at Best Buy, but optical only for connections. I want the soundbar to turn on with the TV, and it seems using the HDMI (ARC) is the only way to achieve that..
Since your current Samsung soundbar only last a year and a half (which isn't very long at all), I wouldn't buy another Samsung, I would choose a different brand. There a many soundbars and brands to choose from, depending on what you're looking for, and your budget. Before you buy, I would do extensive research online, and read as many customer and editorial reviews as possible, then go from there. You may want to buy an extended warranty with your new one because, it just might come in handy. Typically, an extended warranty doesn't go into effect, until after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty has expired. You may find this article very informative, when you're in the market of buying a new soundbar:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm

Last edited by slimdude; 09-17-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers