Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 ()
Soon: A Dog's Purpose ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Nov 2007
Default Dolby Atmos - reflecting off Popcorn ceiling

Hello All, so my Onkyo TX-NR818 HDMI board has failed after 6 years of light use . Instead of sending it to Onkyo to replace it, I figured it's time to upgrade to a 4k and new High Res. audio A/V Receiver.

I recently purchased the Denon X4400H. With my current external amp, the Denon is able to decode 11.2 channels. (I currently have 9.2 with fronts being Wide, but i'll be ditching that configuration as DTS Neo:X was a fail -- not to be confused with just DTS:X)

My HT Room is large enough and my sweet spot seat is in the middle of the room that i know reflective should work. Before deciding if I should get Ceiling (I would get Klipsch CP-6 to mount on the ceiling) or Reflective (Klipsch R-14SA atmos) speakers (which i prefer)......

Does anyone here have reflective speakers pointing upwards with Popcorn ceiling with noticeable results?

*I read a few threads about it, but it seems like people just respond saying it "should work with minimal effect, but i want to know if someone that already has\had this set up

Last edited by elninoloco7; 09-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Up-firing speakers may suitable, when you're not able to install ceiling speakers for the reason being when you're living in a apartment, or renting a home, and management will not allow tenants to make renovations to the property, which will includes drilling holes in the ceiling.. But personally, I would highly recommend ceiling speakers because they'll sound better. I have ceiling speakers, and they're awesome. Commercial theaters that are Dolby Atmos equipped have ceiling speakers, not up-firing speakers. If you want your Dolby Atmos to sound exactly the way does in the theater, then most definitely go for the ceiling speakers.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-18-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Mar 2012
Monument, CO

If you have the option to get in-ceiling speakers, or even on-wall speakers, do that rather than upfiring. The problem with upfiring speakers is that the sound is diffused as it bounces off the ceiling. Atmospheric sounds like rain and thunder sound decent, but sounds that should appear in a specific place, don't.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

I just viewed your home theater pics, and it's really nice. Your home theater resembles a commercial theater, and you most certainly have the room to accommodate 4 ceiling speakers without a problem. An extravagant, home theater (like yours) upfiring speakers wouldn't do Dolby Atmos justice, nor DTS:X as well because the room is spacious. So If you decide to get ceiling speakers (which I hope you do) instead of the up-firings, I'll guaranteed you won't regret it.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-17-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

I currently have the RP-140SA (which are pretty much the same as the R-14SA). I used to have them reflecting off the ceiling but like kansashoops said, for atmospheric effects it works pretty well but for discrete objects like bullets or stuff flying over, or voices coming from the height layer, the effect is not as convincing.

Now I have them hanging from the wall near the ceiling (front heights), and from the ceiling (rear heights). All the effects are very convincing now (provided it’s a good sound mix) and it creates a more immersive bubble of sound.

I believe the R-14SA’s should be versatile to hang from the wall/ceiling, and their angled design should work well for the height effects just like with RP-140SA’s. As long as you choose the right settings on the receiver.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #6

Nov 2007

Welp, I went ahead and ordered TWO pairs of Klipsch CP-6 for under $450 total on eBay. They may not be exact Timbre match, but for Atmos, i'm not sweating about it (at least they are the same brand, so it'll sport the same logo ). The "Klipsch R-14SA" would have been more ideal for matching (visually and technically speaking), but the CP-6's is easier to "ceiling" mount and swivel up to 45 degrees to fine tune. Plus 25 more RMS watts and saved about $200-$300 compared to what i would have spent with the R-14SA.

Hiding the cable's in the ceiling will be a bit of a challenge since there is an upstairs (if it were an attic it be much easier project). I have no idea in what way the braces are going (should be easy to determine though) or if there are any "Cross-braces". All other speakers had the wires prewired - 7 channel in the wall prior in the house being completed years back.

I may just use some speaker covers to see how it looks then resort to fishing the wires last.

**Also i edited my original post. I exchanged the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 ($1,000) for the Denon X4400H ($900) due to the sale price! Win-Win

Last edited by elninoloco7; 09-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #7

Nov 2007

Phew 2AM and just got done installing the Atmos speakers on the ceiling (took two days). Images updated in my theater gallery. https://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=16268

I popped in Ready Player One and my goodness what a huge change. Fishing wires through the ceiling was a PAIN though..but worth it. Just took a while to calibrate to my liking (Audyssey does a good job, but had to fine tune with SPL meter).

**Yes i know, side acoustic panels need to be re-arranged. (side surround use to be in different placement where acoustic panels worked, but i moved the speakers down. However, i originally used some glue that ripped off some paint when trying to take the panels off, so it's cheaper just to leave the acoustic panels as is)

Last edited by elninoloco7; 09-22-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers