Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.49

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 09-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

I've done the former already kk1 That's how I paid in fact, but have yet to see "deals" via PP. Interesting.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:05 AM   #22

Oct 2015
Hawaii

Hmm, the "cash back" is a pretty good deal then. I'll go ahead and place my orders and use my credit towards Presage Flower. I was planning on picking them all up anyway so may as well save a few bucks in doing so. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raye View Post
Hmm, the "cash back" is a pretty good deal then. I'll go ahead and place my orders and use my credit towards Presage Flower. I was planning on picking them all up anyway so may as well save a few bucks in doing so. Thanks!
I recommend you place your order before the 30th Sept in order to get the full amount of cash back points, as the awarded amount drops after that date.
Mind, they may have another "special" before release date but then, they could be gone by then as well...
Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #24
Special Member

Jun 2009

The only website I've ever used that adds a fee for PayPal is Zavvi (it's a surcharge). That said, it's Zavvi charging the fee, not PayPal so I assume Zavvi just pockets the money.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #25

Oct 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
I recommend you place your order before the 30th Sept in order to get the full amount of cash back points, as the awarded amount drops after that date.
Mind, they may have another "special" before release date but then, they could be gone by then as well...
I went ahead and pre-ordered a few hours ago. Unfortunately the other title I wanted to apply my credit to is now OOS despite being a pre-order. Guess l just have to hope they make it available again or just keep renewing my membership until I find an AOA title I want. Awesome deal; will save $50+ in the end of stuff that never gets a discount. Canít wait to see the PQ.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #26

Jan 2016
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
The only website I've ever used that adds a fee for PayPal is Zavvi (it's a surcharge). That said, it's Zavvi charging the fee, not PayPal so I assume Zavvi just pockets the money.
PayPal charges fees to merchants. Most merchants price those fees into the item prices, but some merchants make the fees transparent to the buyer so that buyers not using PayPal don't have to pay for those who use PayPal. In either case, it's PayPal who pockets the fee.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (09-29-2018), kevers7290 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raye View Post
I went ahead and pre-ordered a few hours ago. Unfortunately the other title I wanted to apply my credit to is now OOS despite being a pre-order. Guess l just have to hope they make it available again or just keep renewing my membership until I find an AOA title I want. Awesome deal; will save $50+ in the end of stuff that never gets a discount. Canít wait to see the PQ.
I haven't tried it, so don't know but I'm not sure if you can use your cash back points to purchase a separate item, before the item they were received for ships, as you could easily cancel said item.
Perhaps you can and the computer sends you a bill for the item you tried to buy with points.
I'm sure someone here can verify one way or the other though.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #28

Oct 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
I haven't tried it, so don't know but I'm not sure if you can use your cash back points to purchase a separate item, before the item they were received for ships, as you could easily cancel said item.
Perhaps you can and the computer sends you a bill for the item you tried to buy with points.
I'm sure someone here can verify one way or the other though.
I figure since youíve already paid that it should be ok. The points appear to be available to use right after you get the order confirmation.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015

Is there dimensions for the box sets online? I am looking to conserve shelf space but am interested in the series.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #30

Jul 2009
mexico
Send a message via Yahoo to cuau_cg

14 discs for 64 episodes???
That is 4-5 episodes per disc, i think it's a lot of wasted space since the animation was done in 720p so there's no need of a lot of bitrate. I bet those are BD25 also.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Clearly you don't know anything about Aniplex.

They are all BD-50s with a higher bitrate than anything those plebs over at FUNimation could do, with 5 episodes per disc, which results in superior compression over said release. Also, while the show was finished at 540p (not 720p), it will still benefit due to having less banding and aliasing than the FUNimation release, or none at all.
Thanks given by:
Gouki (10-01-2018), Naiera (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #32
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

If you want those super-high "Japanese" bitrates, six episodes per BD50 is the maximum amount. These AoA discs also have extras, so there's not going to be too much space wasted.
Thanks given by:
Gouki (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #33
Special Member

Nov 2014
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
If you want those super-high "Japanese" bitrates, six episodes per BD50 is the maximum amount. These AoA discs also have extras, so there's not going to be too much space wasted.
So I am not at all an expert on encoding, and barely understand concepts like black crush and banding and such. But I've been on this forum long enough to know that bitrate seems to matter a lot -- at least in theory -- in determining how good a picture looks. I know it is affected by how well a disc is authored, and how much information the encoder is trying to put onto the disc. But how is it that some discs, which have a very low bitrate, can still look pristine, whereas others dip below 20 and look like shit? Someone explain this process to me, in elementary school terms please
Old 10-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #34
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

I’m not that much of an expert to be able to explain that part well, but I’ll add that the quality of the master is much more important than the bitrate. Whether the bitrate averages 25 or 35 won’t matter a thing if the master is a pile of crap.
Thanks given by:
Gouki (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Bitrate doesn’t matter, really. Sure, a higher Bitrate helps in making a better picture, but it’s not a determining factor. What is, is the compressionist- the person doing the encoding. For every great like David Mackenzie, Justin Sevakis and mp3dom, you get a lazy guy who can’t do good work.

Let me put it this way. A good encoder can make produce a better image at 25 mbps, where the fool does 35. Higher is generally better, as aiming for aower bitrate makes compression harder- but there’s nothing to say it is the determining factor in PQ. Look at Sony- their titles only average like 24 mbps, yet they’re probably one of the most consistent studios when it comes to PQ. If you have a 50GB disc, why not fill it?

In conclusion- bitrate isn’t the determining factor for PQ, but aiming lower gives a higher chance of less optimal PQ. Bitrate doesn’t matter as long as they guy doing the encodes is good. If you have a subpar encoder, regardless of Bitrate, it won’t be optimal.
Thanks given by:
Imaginarion (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #36
Special Member

Apr 2010

There are also (lazy) companies that use the same settings regardless of the content.

To a smaller extent, your gear/settings can make stuff look/sound better/worse. The general theory is "to do the least harm possible to the signal". I'm not going to go into stuff like exotic metals and quality of materials, since I'll be crucified by the people who think lamp power cable make great speaker cables. I personally want as little post processing done to the sound/picture as possible. (Native resolution, upscale as little as possible, stereo stays stereo, etc.) But I've met people who have everything turned to max and think it looks great, then come see my calibrated set up and say "why's it so dark?"

It's terrifying to me that releases can be murdered from just a few settings being forgotten or set wrong. (Re:Zero, etc.)
Thanks given by:
chronoclast (10-01-2018), Gorgon (10-01-2018), Naiera (10-01-2018), NLScavenger (10-01-2018), professorwho (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #37
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
There are also (lazy) companies that use the same settings regardless of the content.
That used to be FUNi. Now I have no idea what theyíre up to.
Thanks given by:
Gouki (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I think Funi is looking toward eventually merging with PonyCan USA, to create one big f'd-up-quality anime company - they've recognized that their corporate philosophies, capabilities, and achievements are very similar and highly compatable with each other...
Thanks given by:
Gouki (10-01-2018), professorwho (10-01-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #39

Dec 2015
Toronto, ON

If someone can add these releases to the database
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #40

Apr 2015
China

I wonder if there will be any improvements in the video quality. I just watched FMA Brotherhood on a Chinese streaming website Bilibili, and I found the colors of picture there are even slightly vivid than Funi Blu-ray. So I guess Aniplex remastered the series in recent years.
Besides, the Funi Blu-ray make the credits of OP and ED in English, and they never put the detailed animators' names in ED. So I hope this time the credits of OP and ED could be original in Japanese.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime