Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
1 hr ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

View Poll Results: Do You Watch Movies on Physical Media, Digital Media, or Both
Physical Media 51 39.23%
Digital Media 6 4.62%
Both Formats 73 56.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
That use to be a Gray Market, but selling Digital Codes has opened up they even sell them here on this Site and also MA/UV Stores. The Studios are trying to control the sales of Codes, they don't want them on the market before the Release Date. The Digital Code pricing has been going up, but you can find better pricing than the Discs. It just doesn't pay to buy Combo Packs anymore, because the Discs don't even return 50% of the purchase price.
The problem is that you are going about it backwards. You buy the combo packs for the discs, the premium part of the package, and then you sell the cereal box prize trinket that is the digital code. Keep the good stuff, the discs, and unload the code.

Why would you expect to get a 50% return on used merchandise, anyway? It is considered used merchandise the instant you open the case to extract the code sheet. You can buy many discs brand new for half-off, even more, during certain major sales events, like Black Friday, or simply by waiting long enough. The Deals link on this website lists deeply discounted titles every single day. Even more routine sales events can bring the price of the disc to equal or below that of the code alone. If you really shopped for best price effectively, you would already know this. You said that you do not buy physical media anymore; you clearly do not know what discs sell for or how frequently they go on sale.

Combo packs are generally marketed towards customers that want two or more parts of the total package; they were not designed as a means to partially recoup the cost of a digital code.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-27-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #22
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
That use to be a Gray Market, but selling Digital Codes has opened up they even sell them here on this Site and also MA/UV Stores.
No, it is not. There is no law against selling digital codes included with disc except the latest Disney titles (search Disney vs Redbox). You lie when you redeem a code that was included with a disc and you do not own the disc. Plain and simple, no law degree required. Read the TOS of the providers and the studios.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 PM   #23
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Why would you expect to get a 50% return on used merchandise, anyway? It is considered used merchandise the instant you open the case to extract the code sheet. You can buy many discs brand new for half-off, even more, during certain major sales events, like Black Friday, or simply by waiting long enough. The Deals link on this website lists deeply discounted titles every single day. Even more routine sales events can bring the price of the disc to equal or below that of the code alone. If you really shopped for best price effectively, you would already know this. You said that you do not buy physical media anymore; you clearly do not know what discs sell for or how frequently they go on sale.

Combo packs are generally marketed towards customers that want two or more parts of the total package; they were not designed as a means to partially recoup the cost of a digital code.
I have been selling Discs going back to DVD, then BD, and UHD. I would sell them for "Like New," and get 80 or 90% back when Discs where selling well. This is not the case anymore, the only people buying Disc anymore are on this Site. I remember on Recent Release BD when the stores controlled the inventories they would come out with $17 prices. Now that the Distributors control the inventories prices for 4K UHD don't come down from the $20 - $30 range. Even your best price Site, older 4K Movies might come down to the $10 - $15 range. I do check out the prices at stores like Best Buy, Target, and WalMart, and they are not coming down at all. I have always looked for ways to recoup my Movie watching while upgrading to the latest format. Combo Packs use to work well for me, not anymore!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
I have been selling Discs going back to DVD, then BD, and UHD. I would sell them for "Like New," and get 80 or 90% back when Discs where selling well. This is not the case anymore, the only people buying Disc anymore are on this Site. I remember on Recent Release BD when the stores controlled the inventories they would come out with $17 prices. Now that the Distributors control the inventories prices for 4K UHD don't come down from the $20 - $30 range. Even your best price Site, older 4K Movies might come down to the $10 - $15 range. I do check out the prices at stores like Best Buy, Target, and WalMart, and they are not coming down at all. I have always looked for ways to recoup my Movie watching while upgrading to the latest format. Combo Packs use to work well for me, not anymore!
If you really found people willing to pay 80-90% of the brand new price when selling your used discs, you are either an amazing salesman or you found the dumbest customers ever. I believe neither to be true.

I used to sell duplicate discs as far back as laserdiscs and often in unopened condition and I never received returns like that unless the title was limited, collectible, or OOP. You could always readily and routinely save more than 20% off the price of brand new discs by simply waiting for a sale -then as now. I have been buying and selling movies for over 30 years and I never once paid 80-90% of the brand new retail price for a used copy of an in-print movie. I am not that stupid and I do not know anyone that stupid, present company excepted.

The part of your comment that is underlined is also exceptionally absurd. I, alone, know of many people who buy discs who have NEVER visited this website nor are they even aware of its existence. I am confident that other people know such people as well. Your one size fits all absolutist statement requires no effort to disprove, as always. A single exception disproves any absolute statement.

You are completely wrong about the prices of 4k discs. At this moment there are 141 4K disc titles on sale in the Deals section of this website alone. 93 of them are priced at $19.99 and lower. Many are $14.99. There are even more bargains if you consider the per movie price in the 4K box sets that are also on sale. You are absolutely clueless here and do not know what you are talking about.

The sales data has already shown that discs prices are trending downwards. These are verifiable facts and are not based off of what you think you observe at the three stores you visit. We have real sales data; we don't need your faulty anecdotes.

If you only shop in-store at Target, Best Buy, and Walmart for the discs that you say you do not buy then you are not a very savvy (non) shopper at all. Many of the best deals are found online at places like Amazon, Deep Discount, Bullmoose, and others. You would know this if you really shopped for discs and did so with even the most basic of shopping skills.

Again, the purpose of combo packs was never to subsidize your purchases of digital codes. Anyone expecting to recoup 90% of the new purchase price when selling what is now a used disc is delusional. Anyone, other than you apparently, can find a sale for brand new discs with prices discounted more than a mere 10%. Purchasing new, while on sale, is not only a better deal than your mythical used asking price, but they can then sell the included code to someone like you and maybe recover that 80-90% for themselves.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-28-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #25
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Many of the best deals are found online at places like Amazon, Deep Discount, Bullmoose, and others.
Bullmoose is a new one for me, will check it out. My oldest, 31 years ago, mail order for LaserDisc was The Lasers Edge.

I have procured quite a few new and some used BD from Amazon vendors at a fair amount below Amazon prices. I just buy from the ones with decent prices and high customer ratings.

Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Barnes, etc. is the pits for disc media. All have high prices and make it difficult to find the title of interest. Why anyone would make reference to these box stores for disc sales is beyond me.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Bullmoose is a new one for me, will check it out. My oldest, 31 years ago, mail order for LaserDisc was The Lasers Edge.

I have procured quite a few new and some used BD from Amazon vendors at a fair amount below Amazon prices. I just buy from the ones with decent prices and high customer ratings.

Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Barnes, etc. is the pits for disc media. All have high prices and make it difficult to find the title of interest. Why anyone would make reference to these box stores for disc sales is beyond me.
In this instance, the person referencing those three stores does not even buy discs, by his own repeated remarks and despite the questionable veracity of them, but yet professes to know everything about what they cost not only at those three stores, but everywhere else, too. He is perpetually oblivious to the deals published on this very website, ignores the actual sales and pricing data, but is a self proclaimed expert on disc prices both now and historically.

Best Buy and Target often have exclusives, particularly steelbooks, and these are quite popular. Walmart occasionally offers exclusives, too. You can get good deals on discs at all three of these stores, but they are far from being the end all source for discs or for bargain prices on them. The greatest selection is always found online and that often holds true for the prices as well. Anyone who actually purchases discs with any frequency knows all of this and they would never limit themselves to shopping only in-store at these three retailers.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #27

Feb 2010

100% physical media as I do not want to compromise what I am hearing. I am curious however if anyone who landed on the physical side of the poll watches tv through a streaming service. There are a lot of great shows out there as it seems every time you turn around there is something new coming out that piques interest on one of the many outlets available today. I will still wait for the Bluray to come out, but sometimes a specific show doesn't make it to disc, or the what is too lengthy....which has me starting to rethink my approach.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #28
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Best Buy and Target often have exclusives, particularly steelbooks, and these are quite popular.
I have to rescind part of my post, I have procured 13 titles (BD & UHD BD) from Walmart, 17 from Target and 8 from Best Buy over a 12 year period. In Movie Collectorz I always enter the place of purchase and price paid. Iím sure these places had the best price for these 38 titles. I'm sure I placed the order online and picked up at the local store or had them shipped.

The poster in question does seem to be a slow learner and have a reading comprehension problem.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
100% physical media as I do not want to compromise what I am hearing. I am curious however if anyone who landed on the physical side of the poll watches tv through a streaming service. There are a lot of great shows out there as it seems every time you turn around there is something new coming out that piques interest on one of the many outlets available today. I will still wait for the Bluray to come out, but sometimes a specific show doesn't make it to disc, or the what is too lengthy....which has me starting to rethink my approach.
TV shows and streaming service's original content are a trickier matter. A physical release does not always occur and even if it does, the wait could be long and it might be relegated to just DVD. I do buy TV shows on physical media if the option to do so exists at a quality level I deem to be acceptable.

Stranger Things on Netflix is my current conundrum. Only season 1 is on disc and I own a copy; I had to stream season 2 and there has been no news of a disc release for it. Season 3 is still to come.

I subscribed to Netflix only long enough to binge watch season 2 and after my free month I cancelled my service. I find their overall selection to be rather limited. When season 3 is available, I will likely renew my subscription and then cancel it again after viewing it.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #30
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I am curious however if anyone who landed on the physical side of the poll watches tv through a streaming service.
Previous page:
Quote:
IMO, the poll should have included TV (series). I rarely watch movies via streaming unless it is the rare Netflix, Amazon Prime or disc-to-digital title. I do watch a fair amount of TV series via streaming. I never watch a UV or MA title at home, who would do that when a superior BD or UHD BD version is sitting on the the shelf!
IMO, movie prices via streaming are WAY over priced. In many cases they charge almost the same price as a BD or UHD BD. Some titles are even more than a BD or UHD BD. And what you get is highly compressed video and audio compared to the disc version. The MP3 music titles I purchase are a fair amount cheaper than uncompressed versions.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
In this instance, the person referencing those three stores does not even buy discs, by his own repeated remarks and despite the questionable veracity of them, but yet professes to know everything about what they cost not only at those three stores, but everywhere else, too. He is perpetually oblivious to the deals published on this very website, ignores the actual sales and pricing data, but is a self proclaimed expert on disc prices both now and historically.

Best Buy and Target often have exclusives, particularly steelbooks, and these are quite popular. Walmart occasionally offers exclusives, too. You can get good deals on discs at all three of these stores, but they are far from being the end all source for discs or for bargain prices on them. The greatest selection is always found online and that often holds true for the prices as well. Anyone who actually purchases discs knows all of this and they would never limit themselves to shopping only in-store at these three retailers.
You guys think I was born yesterday, I have bought Discs even this year for the Digital Codes and D2D. I have used Amazon and other OnLine Stores to buy Discs. I also go back Decades as a Seller on eBay, but I have bought Discs there too. As for selling Discs on eBay, I like to use Buy it Now or Best Offer, and in the Discs Heydays I would put them up for Like New at 100% with a $2 less Best Offer. For Hot Movies sometimes I would get the 100% Buy it Now price. Like I said that was in the Disc Heydays!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Previous page:

IMO, movie prices via streaming are WAY over priced. In many cases they charge almost the same price as a BD or UHD BD. Some titles are even more than a BD or UHD BD. And what you get is highly compressed video and audio compared to the disc version. The MP3 music titles I purchase are a fair amount cheaper than uncompressed versions.
Even getting that much assumes that both your ISP is working properly and that the content provider's servers can meet demand. Too many unreliable variables for my liking when the best result possible from streaming is still less than what the corresponding disc offers and that disc offers reliably.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
You guys think I was born yesterday, I have bought Discs even this year for the Digital Codes and D2D. I have used Amazon and other OnLine Stores to buy Discs. I also go back Decades as a Seller on eBay, but I have bought Discs there too. As for selling Discs on eBay, I like to use Buy it Now or Best Offer, and in the Discs Heydays I would put them up for Like New at 100% with a $2 less Best Offer. For Hot Movies sometimes I would get the 100% Buy it Now price. Like I said that was in the Disc Heydays!
Well, then you have proven yourself to be lying again. You have said that you stopped buying discs, repeatedly, and here you are admitting that you still do even if only for the codes inside them. It is still a disc purchase regardless of the motivation behind it.

You are still buying discs even though you have also said in this very thread that they are ever more expensive and not cost effective. Still another contradiction:

"prices on Discs are not coming down"

False, but yet you still buy them.

"buying Discs just doesn't work."

But you still buy them.

"no one wants the Disc anymore so they just don't sell."

But you still buy them.

"Discs are on the way out."

All of these pearls are from just one of your posts; a post you made just 2 days ago, see citation below.

For someone who claims such vast experience with physical media all the way to present day, you prove how little you actually know with each new post you make. You have the most profound case of myopia I have ever encountered. You only see what you want to see and you contradict yourself time and time again.

There are only two things you can speak to with any shred of credibility. One is that you primarily stream content and the second is that you are delighted by it. Virtually everything else you have ever posted, here and anywhere else, has been proven to be incorrect by numerous people with countless citations provided. Do you ever learn anything from all of this? Nope; you just keep repeating your errors. You engage in hyperbole, meaningless anecdotes, sweeping generalizations, misrepresentations, blatant falsehoods, and you do so with such regularity that you have been caught several times contradicting yourself as you have again with this latest post. You can't keep track of what you yourself have said as recently as two days ago:

"I don't buy Physical anymore."

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...12&postcount=2

Need I quote some of the other times that you have told us that you stopped buying discs? The many times where you repeatedly say that no one wants them, no one buys them, they are doomed, dying, even dead? How about the other times where you have contradicted yourself? You have a long history of saying these and other ridiculous things.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-28-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #34
Power Member

Mar 2007

I selected both. I almost always prefer physical, and if I buy a movie it's 100% on physical. But, there is original movie content (ex Amazon, Netflix) where buying a physical copy is not even possible and I want to watch it.

There are also movies out there that are pure rentals for me so I don't mind streaming them especially if they are in 4K/HDR as the quality is good enough for me in a rental situation.

But I don't buy any movies digitally. Always physical and that's where I draw the line for now.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (09-28-2018), Wendell R. Breland (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #35
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
"I don't buy Physical anymore."

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...12&postcount=2

Need I quote some of the other times that you have told us that you stopped buying discs? The many times where you repeatedly say that no one wants them, no one buys them, they are doomed, dying, even dead? How about the other times where you have contradicted yourself? You have a long history of saying these and other ridiculous things.
That statement is correct, I haven't bought Discs since that date. I have bought Discs this year, but not this month. You guys hang on every word, like a Senate Hearing!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #36

Feb 2010

Quote:
TV shows and streaming service's original content are a trickier matter. A physical release does not always occur and even if it does, the wait could be long and it might be relegated to just DVD. I do buy TV shows on physical media if the option to do so exists at a quality level I deem to be acceptable.

Stranger Things on Netflix is my current conundrum. Only season 1 is on disc and I own a copy; I had to stream season 2 and there has been no news of a disc release for it. Season 3 is still to come.

I subscribed to Netflix only long enough to binge watch season 2 and after my free month I cancelled my service. I find their overall selection to be rather limited. When season 3 is available, I will likely renew my subscription and then cancel it again after viewing it.
Stranger Things is a great example of what I was referring to. There are some shows like Game of Thrones of The Expanse where I am comfortable with the fact that the lossless audio on the disc will be worth the wait, but many other shows, I am not so sure about. I buy about half of the shows I am interested in, and rent the Blurays through Netflix for the other half. Sometimes, I end up buying after I rent the first disc of a show like Black Sails, where the technical merits blow me away.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
That statement is correct, I haven't bought Discs since that date. I have bought Discs this year, but not this month. You guys hang on every word, like a Senate Hearing!
Are you being willfully dense or does it just come naturally for you? That statement of yours is two days old. You have not bought a disc in 2 days, or even this month as you tell us now- the goalposts keep moving the more lies you get caught telling, and that is supposed to convince anyone that you are being truthful here? I can find more honesty in a Senate hearing than I can in many of your posts.

"I don't buy Physical anymore."*- but now with an asterisk to denote: as of Sept. 26, 2018, terms subject to change in the event of being caught in another lie.

You have forsworn disc purchases many times in the past only to tell us today that you are still buying them. You now claim to have gone a whole month without making a disc purchase. That's a real impressive boycott you got going there- thou with the will of iron, and the head of granite. Do I really have to dig up and quote all of the previous and far earlier times that you have said the very same thing? Why do you persist in making an ever bigger fool of yourself?

Words have meaning even if that is yet another fact that is lost on you. Their meaning does not morph into something more convenient every time you are caught contradicting yourself or are found to be simply lying.

If this were a Senate hearing, under oath, you would face charges of perjury with likely acquittal after examination of your mental faculties and the lack thereof.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-28-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Stranger Things is a great example of what I was referring to. There are some shows like Game of Thrones of The Expanse where I am comfortable with the fact that the lossless audio on the disc will be worth the wait, but many other shows, I am not so sure about. I buy about half of the shows I am interested in, and rent the Blurays through Netflix for the other half. Sometimes, I end up buying after I rent the first disc of a show like Black Sails, where the technical merits blow me away.
I recently bought all of the seasons of Black Sails on blu-ray, of course, but have yet to see a single episode. I must remedy that soon.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #39
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
There are some shows like Game of Thrones of The Expanse where I am comfortable with the fact that the lossless audio on the disc will be worth the wait, but many other shows, I am not so sure about.
I stream a fair amount of TV but shows like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, etc. are BD rentals via Netflix. Will look into Black Sails.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Will look into Black Sails.
Just remember that the rum is not included.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology