Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pokemon Black & White Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Black Clover: Season 2 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.27
4 hrs ago
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part I (Blu-ray)
$59.99
5 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86

The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.49
17 hrs ago
Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Ouran High School Host Club: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$36.06
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
Default Pokémon DVD/Blu-ray releases

A thread to discuss and detail every Pokemon season and movie release. Instead of creating a new one for each season, this makes it easier to have it all in one place. I've decided to disregard gathering info on past Part/Set releases due to Viz slowly re-releasing all of them into complete collections. This thread will not exclusively be for Viz releases, it'll be a general thread with occasional updates.

Complete Season DVD/Blu-ray releases:

Season 1 - Indigo League - Complete Collection DVD/Blu-ray (10/28/14)
*"Holiday Hi-Jynx" omitted from this re-release, last released in 2008 Part 3 box set. The first 52 episodes of Indigo League were released in a Champion's Edition Blu-ray box set, including a preview booklet of Pokemon Adventures. No additional seasons have been announced for Blu-ray. The Champion's Edition release was limited edition and received a standard Blu-ray release in April 2019.

Season 2 - Adventures in the Orange Islands - Complete Collection DVD (5/5/15)
*"Stage Fight" and "The Mandarin Island Miss-Match" omitted, last released in 2008 complete box set which is now OOP. The season name was changed from "Adventures on the Orange Islands" to "Adventures in the Orange Islands" for this 2015 re-release.

Season 3 - The Johto Journeys - Complete Collection DVD (11/10/15)
*"The Psychic Sidekicks" and "Fortune Hunters" released within the U.S. for the first time ever. Both episodes were left out of the VHS/DVD releases from the early 2000's. "The Whistle Stop" has been edited to remove Eric Stuart's "Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil" when played in reverse. The original audio is replaced with James screaming. - Noted by akaun6899

Season 4 - Johto League Champions - Complete Collection DVD (5/31/16)
Season 5 - Master Quest - Complete Collection DVD (10/11/16)
Season 6 - Advanced - Complete Collection DVD (5/16/17)
Season 7 - Advanced Challenge - Complete Collection DVD (12/5/17)
Season 8 - Advanced Battle - Complete Collection DVD (6/12/18)
Season 9 - Battle Frontier - Complete Collection DVD (1/8/19)
Season 10 - Diamond & Pearl - Complete Season DVD (7/30/19)

*Seasons 11-19 have all been fully released in various Part and Set releases. Beginning with Season 20, Viz put an end to splitting the seasons up and placing them in complete collections only. I may detail these releases in the future but I feel like it'll add unnecessary clutter, thanks to the seasons being split into so many different parts.

Season 20 - Sun & Moon - Complete Collection DVD (11/6/18)
Season 21 - Sun & Moon Ultra Adventures - Complete Collection DVD/Blu-ray (5/21/19)

- - - - - - - -

Movie DVD/Blu-ray releases:

Movies 1-3 Blu-ray - Limited Edition Steelbook (2/9/16)
*Steelbook was a 20th Anniversary special release and has since been re-released in standard Blu-ray case packaging. The 2018 re-release features all three movies on one Blu-ray disc, whereas the Steelbook had one disc for each movie. No Pikachu Shorts, bonus features or 4Kids audio commentaries are included on these releases.

Movies 1-3 DVD "The First Three Movies" - Warner Bros. release (4/7/09)
*2-disc release using a double-sided DVD for Movies 2 and 3. Includes all original Pikachu Shorts, bonus features and audio commentary on all three films. The only way to own the early 2000's bonus features and Pikachu Shorts within the United States. Viz released all three movies in 2016 with standard DVD packaging with no bonus features or shorts.

Mewtwo Returns DVD (12/4/01)
*Released by Warner Bros., long out of print and has never seen a re-release. Includes the uncut story of Mewtwo's origin, which should have been included in The First Movie.

Movies 4-7 Blu-ray "4 Film Series" Miramax Multi-Feature (4/3/12)
*All four films on one disc with no Pikachu Shorts or bonus features included. Release is long out of print and goes for a good amount on eBay/Amazon. 4Ever was streamed during the 20th Anniversary celebration but has not seen any physical release by Viz. Interestingly enough, you can no longer rent 4Ever on Amazon anymore either. The rights situation surrounding these films is unclear at present, at least when it comes to 4Ever in particular.

Movies 4-7 DVD "Collectors 4-Film Set" - Miramax release (3/5/15)
*Same as above, all four films on one disc with no shorts or bonus features. The only way to own these movies at present.

Movie 8 - Lucario and the Mystery of Mew DVD (9/19/06)
*2006 release came with a Mew promo card and a bonus disc for "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon: A 10th Anniversary Special". Received a re-release in standard DVD packaging with no bonus disc/no card, seems to be out of print as well.

Movie 9 - Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea DVD(4/3/07)
*First release included Pikachu's Island Adventure short, future re-release did not. Seems to be out of print.

Movies 10-13 Blu-ray - Diamond & Pearl Steelbook (12/6/16)
*Was a timed Best Buy exclusive before receiving a wide release. Movie 10, 12 and 13 seem to currently be out of print on DVD. Movie 11 received a re-release in 2015 - Initially released by Universal and re-released by Viz Media, neither include any bonus features. Viz Media re-released these movies in a standard Blu-ray case in April 2019.

Movie 14 - Black & White - Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom (4/3/12)
*Includes 2 movies with a few different scenes depending on which version you watch.

Movie 15 - Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice DVD (4/2/13)
Movie 16 - Genesect and the Legend Awakened DVD (12/3/13)
Movie 17 - Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction DVD (2/17/15)
*Includes "Diancie, Princess of the Diamond Domain" short

Movie 18 - Hoopa and the Clash of Ages DVD (3/8/16)
Movie 19 - Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel DVD (3/21/17)
Movie 20 - I Choose You! - Blu-ray and DVD (2/13/18)
*The first new release Pokemon movie to receive a Blu-ray by Viz.

Movie 21 - The Power of Us - Blu-ray and DVD (3/19/19)
*Original Japanese soundtrack fully intact, first time since Movie 16.

Last edited by InuYashaCrusade; 05-29-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
akaun6899 (10-13-2018), LordCrumb (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

I may detail the single volume releases for Indigo League for fun down the road, as well as the older releases which are now out of print and hard to find. For now though, this will do. There's a couple of random releases that I'll point out in the future.

Battle Frontier Complete Collection was announced today, which prompted me to create this thread.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 AM   #3

May 2009
New Zealand

Could link them to their Database listings? I assume these are the USA releases?

I used to be into Pokemon, like most kids of that time were... might be interested in checking out the original series again eventually.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Could link them to their Database listings? I assume these are the USA releases?

I used to be into Pokemon, like most kids of that time were... might be interested in checking out the original series again eventually.
Yeah I'm referring to U.S. releases here but I may mention imports if they bring something new/different to the table. The first one being the Pikachu shorts included with the Gold Edition Blu-ray in Australia. This is actually a region free release, I can confirm and own it.
Thanks given by:
LordCrumb (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2017
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
A thread to discuss and detail every Pokemon season and movie release. Instead of creating a new one for each season, this makes it easier to have it all in one place. I've decided to disregard gathering info on past Part/Set releases due to Viz slowly re-releasing all of them into complete collections. This thread will not exclusively be for Viz releases, it'll be a general thread with occasional updates.

Complete Season DVD/Blu-ray releases:

Season 1 - Indigo League - Complete Collection DVD/Blu-ray (10/28/14)
*"Holiday Hi-Jynx" omitted from this re-release, last released in 2008 Part 3 box set. The first 52 episodes of Indigo League were released in a Champion's Edition Blu-ray box set, including a preview booklet of Pokemon Adventures. No additional seasons have been announced for Blu-ray.

Season 2 - Adventures in the Orange Islands - Complete Collection (5/5/15)
*"Stage Fight" and "The Mandarin Island Miss-Match" omitted, last released in 2008 complete box set which is now OOP. The season name was changed from "Adventures on the Orange Islands" to "Adventures in the Orange Islands" for this 2015 re-release.

Season 3 - The Johto Journeys - Complete Collection (11/10/15)
*"The Psychic Sidekicks" and "Fortune Hunters" released within the U.S. for the first time ever. Both episodes were left out of the VHS/DVD releases from the early 2000's.

Season 4 - Johto League Champions - Complete Collection (5/31/16)
Season 5 - Master Quest - Complete Collection (10/11/16)
Season 6 - Advanced - Complete Collection (5/16/17)
Season 7 - Advanced Challenge - Complete Collection (12/5/17)
Season 8 - Advanced Battle - Complete Collection (6/12/18)
Season 9 - Battle Frontier - Complete Collection (1/8/19)

*Seasons 10-19 have all been fully released in various Part and Set releases. Beginning with Season 20, Viz will be (finally) putting an end to splitting the seasons up and placing them in complete collections only. I may detail these releases in the future but I feel like it'll add unnecessary clutter, thanks to the seasons being split into so many different parts. Beginning with Season 17 (XY), each season uses "Pokemon the Series" as the title.

Season 20 - Sun & Moon - Complete Collection (11/6/18)

- - - - - - - -

Movie DVD/Blu-ray releases:

Movies 1-3 Blu-ray - Limited Edition Steelbook (2/9/16)
*Steelbook was a 20th Anniversary special release and has since been re-released in standard Blu-ray case packaging. The 2018 re-release features all three movies on one Blu-ray disc, whereas the Steelbook had three discs, one for each movie. No Pikachu Shorts, bonus features or 4Kids audio commentaries are included on these releases.

Movies 1-3 DVD "The First Three Movies" - Warner Bros. release (4/7/09)
*2-disc release using a double-sided DVD for Movies 2 and 3. Includes all original Pikachu Shorts, bonus features and audio commentary on all three films. The only way to own the early 2000's bonus features and Pikachu Shorts within the United States. Viz also released all three movies in 2016 with standard DVD packaging with no bonus features or shorts.

Mewtwo Returns DVD (12/4/01)
*Released by Warner Bros., long out of print and has never seen a re-release. Includes the uncut story of Mewtwo's origin, which should have been included in The First Movie.

Movies 4-7 Blu-ray "4 Film Series" Miramax Multi-Feature (4/3/12)
*All four films on one disc with no Pikachu Shorts or bonus features included. Release is long out of print and goes for a good amount on eBay/Amazon. Viz and The Pokemon Company International act like these four films do not exist at this point in time. 4Ever was streamed during the 20th Anniversary celebration but has not seen any physical release by Viz. Interestingly enough, you can no longer rent 4Ever on Amazon anymore either. The rights situation surrounding these films is unclear at present, at least when it comes to 4Ever in particular.

Movies 4-7 DVD "Collectors 4-Film Set" - Miramax release (3/5/15)
*Same as above, all four films on one disc with no shorts or bonus features. The only way to own these movies at present.

Movie 8 - Lucario and the Mystery of Mew DVD (9/19/06)
*2006 release came with a Mew promo card and a bonus disc for "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon: A 10th Anniversary Special". Received a re-release in standard DVD packaging with no bonus disc/no card, seems to be out of print as well.

Movie 9 - Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea DVD(4/3/07)
*First release included Pikachu's Island Adventure short, future re-release did not. Seems to be out of print.

Movies 10-13 Blu-ray - Diamond & Pearl Steelbook (12/6/16)
*Was a timed Best Buy exclusive before receiving a wide release. Movie 10, 12 and 13 seem to currently be out of print on DVD. Movie 11 received a re-release in 2015. None of these include any bonus features.

Movie 14 - Black & White - Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom (4/3/12)
*Includes 2 movies with a few different scenes depending on which version you watch.

Movie 15 - Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice DVD (4/2/13)
Movie 16 - Genesect and the Legend Awakened DVD (12/3/13)
Movie 17 - Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction DVD (2/17/15)
*Includes "Diancie, Princess of the Diamond Domain" short

Movie 18 - Hoopa and the Clash of Ages DVD (3/8/16)
Movie 19 - Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel DVD (3/21/17)
Movie 20 - I Choose You! - Blu-ray and DVD (2/13/18)
*The first new release Pokemon movie to receive a Blu-ray by Viz.
Will Season 20 have a US release in November? All I can find is the PAL version.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snowy Owl View Post
Will Season 20 have a US release in November? All I can find is the PAL version.
Yup https://www.rightstufanime.com/Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-DVD

Don’t go by Amazon. Viz titles are Distributed by Warner Brothers so sometimes Viz pre-orders can be kind of screwy on Amazon. Other retailers get the pre-order in just fine.
Thanks given by:
The Snowy Owl (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

All the recent Pokemon seasons and movies are available in English on Blu-ray, if you look worldwide:

Movie 14 - Black & White - Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom
Movie 15 - Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice

Available on Blu-ray in Australia

Movie 16 - Genesect and the Legend Awakened
Movie 17 - Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

Available on Blu-ray in Germany, with English dub included.

Movie 18 - Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
Movie 19 - Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel

Available on Blu-ray in the UK

Season 17, 18 and 19
Old 10-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #8

Jan 2016
EU

Are there any releases with subs and Japanese audio? Might be useful to include that info in the listing.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #9

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasma View Post
Are there any releases with subs and Japanese audio? Might be useful to include that info in the listing.
Only the DVD releases of the first three movies in Japan included both the English and Japanese versions, but the English dubtitles could only be enabled during the English version.

Also only the Japanese DVD releases of the first Pokemon movie offer the uncut English version, with MewTwo's origin.

Last edited by Kirben; 10-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
klasma (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #10

Jan 2015

Quote:
Viz and The Pokemon Company International act like these four films do not exist at this point in time.
I wouldn't say that. The Miramax-Owned entries are listed on the Pokémon website under the movie section, though they are still not under TPCI's umbrella in terms of distribution.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
All the recent Pokemon seasons and movies are available in English on Blu-ray, if you look worldwide:

Season 17, 18 and 19
I'm only referring to U.S. releases within this thread, I should add that somewhere.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasma View Post
Nope, dub only since the start within the United States. I'll add that in for a future edit though. I plan on going back and reading all posts, will add everything in accordingly.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2017
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post

Season 17, 18 and 19
Are they region free?
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2017
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Yup https://www.rightstufanime.com/Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-DVD

Don’t go by Amazon. Viz titles are Distributed by Warner Brothers so sometimes Viz pre-orders can be kind of screwy on Amazon. Other retailers get the pre-order in just fine.
Thanks! Searching on RS is a pain on mobile, even when I type in everything exactly as it is, :/
Old 10-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2017
Texas

Oh, nevermind, that’s just the DVD,
Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
Special Member

Nov 2010
Wales, United Kingdom

Worth noting the Australian Blu-rays for the first two movies have DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, as opposed to the 2.0 version other territories get. They also re-released the boxset of the first three movies with an extra Blu-ray containing the Pikachu shorts for those movies.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #17
Special Member

Jun 2009

Any advice on where to find an Australian copy of movie 14? (BW Victini movie)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #18

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
Any advice on where to find an Australian copy of movie 14? (BW Victini movie)
eBay would be the best option, since it is out of print.
Thanks given by:
kevers7290 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #19

Jan 2015

Another note about the Johto Journeys set; the episode "The Whistle Stop" is slightly edited from its original version. This is the episode that featured reversed audio that, when played normally, revealed Eric Stuart saying "Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil". The version on the DVD dubs this over with James screaming.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
Special Member

Jun 2009

Great thread, thanks InuYashaCrusade! I've already found and ordered the Australian and German movies. I had no idea the German discs had the English dub. I also put in an order for the "Gold Collection" from JB Hi-Fi. Not sure if it's out of print or not as it's OOS but orderable, so I have my fingers crossed. I can get rid of my ugly 3-film steelbook if so. Thanks again!
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (10-14-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime