Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
 
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
2 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
 
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
 
Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.56
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
 
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
8 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
 
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69
13 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$36.68
8 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
If the picture quality of this ultra thin roll up poster style OLED display is the same or better then what consumers have in 2018, then this well be a very popular product.


The first models well only be around 65 inches. Just imagine having a 120 inch OLED roll up poster style OLED screen in the far future. You walk in your door to your home and unroll a 120 inch screen to place on the wall.


quote


"LG last January unveiled TV sets that roll up like posters, but that was just a concept that wasn’t ready for an actual commercial launch. However, things will change next year, as the Korean giant is hoping to revive its ailing TV business by bringing this novel form factor to life in the real world."


https://bgr.com/2018/12/18/lg-rollab...loomberg-says/
Useless. They will go the way of curved screens and 3D. They need to place 90 percent of their R&D on figuring out a way make OLED less susceptible to burn-in/IR or the display technology itself, let alone fold up screens, will eventually leave the market for good, especially with the advent of micro-led.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Why do I need to roll up my TV? To take it on vacation with me or something? Tie a string around it and throw it over my shoulder to take backpacking through the woods?

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #23
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Don't know how you define "cheap," but that word and "OLED" are not seen together often.

The "cheap" 65" LG C8 model OLED at my local Walmart still sells for $2800. My store only stocks the "C" series. It only weighs 56 pounds with the stand and 46 pounds without it- not even close to being "big and heavy". I use to be able to arm curl the latter amount of weight before the decadence that is retirement turned me into the half-baked couch potato that I am now.

My local Walmart does not stock OLED screens yet. $2,800 is cheap compared to a model 2 or 3 years ago that cost $10,000. A 55 inch OLED currently costs $1,400 which is cheaper then a 50 inch Pioneer PRO-101FD that sold for $5,500 10 years ago. OLED displays are coming down in price rapidly, maybe not as fast as some people like.


Also 46 pounds is heavy compared to a paper thin displays that well be coming out in the future.


https://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_OLED5...20group%20%231
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #24
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

A 46 pound TV is not much heavier than a 5 gallon jug of water that you change on a water cooler routinely; more than light enough for me. Also, I don't move my TV very often once I have set it up.

Super light weight roll-up TVs are fine if they really offer a desired benefit for those willing to pay what will likely be a stiff premium for a TV that is functionally no better than existing OLED TVs.

For me, and I am the only one for whom I am speaking, this is just wasteful. If all I gain with this roll-up TV is lighter weight, portability, and more creative placement options, then I am not impressed. Only substantial improvements in TV performance get me to open my wallet. Pretty design will catch my eye, but only improved PQ will get me to buy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #25
RXP RXP is offline
Member
 
Mar 2008
Default

I think these will be great for the inevitable 100+ screens. I have a tab tensioned electronic projection screen - makes getting it my house and hiding it when not in use easy.

Same value for a TV of that size.

A 65" rollable will good if you travel also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #26
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
I think these will be great for the inevitable 100+ screens. I have a tab tensioned electronic projection screen - makes getting it my house and hiding it when not in use easy.

Same value for a TV of that size.

A 65" rollable will good if you travel also.
Pretty much every destination I travel to has a nice, large TV already there, be it the home of a relative, a friend, or even at a nice resort. I can foresee zero need to travel with my own TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #27
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1
2104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
I think these will be great for the inevitable 100+ screens. I have a tab tensioned electronic projection screen - makes getting it my house and hiding it when not in use easy.
Yeah, and when you get that big just having it be that thin and rollable will be very nice whether you regularly roll it up or down or not.

The idea of one day ordering a 120" direct-view display that goes together in much the same way a fixed projection screen does now is pretty appealing.

This particular device might seem gimmicky to some people but the tech is pretty freaking cool. It's just one step closer to that apartment wall that turns into a giant video screen sci-fi has been teasing us with for decades
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:05 AM   #28
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1
2104
Default

Another awesome use for this tech could be digital picture or posters.

Standard flat screens are getting to be really close approximations but a poster frame that looks like a poster frame (and not a sideways TV) that can display any image you throw at it would be really cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #29
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Another awesome use for this tech could be digital picture or posters.

Standard flat screens are getting to be really close approximations but a poster frame that looks like a poster frame (and not a sideways TV) that can display any image you throw at it would be really cool.
Do you think these roll-up TVs could also replicate the fuzzy feel of the blacklight poster?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #30
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
If the picture quality of this ultra thin roll up poster style OLED display is the same or better then what consumers have in 2018, then this well be a very popular product.


The first models well only be around 65 inches. Just imagine having a 120 inch OLED roll up poster style OLED screen in the far future. You walk in your door to your home and unroll a 120 inch screen to place on the wall.


quote


"LG last January unveiled TV sets that roll up like posters, but that was just a concept that wasn’t ready for an actual commercial launch. However, things will change next year, as the Korean giant is hoping to revive its ailing TV business by bringing this novel form factor to life in the real world."


https://bgr.com/2018/12/18/lg-rollab...loomberg-says/
That article speaks of LG’s ailing tv business? I thought they just had their best year in 5 years? I read their mobile business is ailing, maybe it’s misinformation.

Last edited by Steedeel; 12-28-2018 at 10:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
Deciazulado Deciazulado is offline
Site Manager
 
Deciazulado's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
USiberia
6
454
3160
2836
Default

From Penton's post the second link has these 2 pics:



Where the second 22" panel weights 162 grams.

Extrapolating that to a 84" x 200", 2.40 wide OledoScope screen gives me ~13.5kg/30 pounds.


Carrying case not included.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-29-2018 at 08:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
crackinhedz (12-29-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #32
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

QUOTE


"According to LG, the flexible OLED panel can handle 50,000 rollings and unrollings, or over 34 years of rolling and unrolling it four times a day."


https://www.pcmag.com/news/365778/lg...m_medium=title
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 AM   #33
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

Rollable OLED tech will have more commercial use imo than home theatre but there's quite a lot of neat uses it can have as a TV where you can easily transport a very large screen size that weighs peanuts.

I'm actually quite interested to see LG display their moving bezel concept where they frame 4:3, 16:9 and 21:9 content in a consumer display and see how this changes potential burn in concern by only using those areas of the screen displaying an image and "turning off" the rest. Or maybe i'm in fantasy land and that tech isn't even in concept phase.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #34
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
QUOTE


"According to LG, the flexible OLED panel can handle 50,000 rollings and unrollings, or over 34 years of rolling and unrolling it four times a day."


https://www.pcmag.com/news/365778/lg...m_medium=title
The same company that says their OLEDs are all but immune to burn-in, but yet won't cover burn-in problems in their product warranty.

They go on and on about how burn-in is extremely unlikely with their OLED TVs, but they won't back that up by offering warranty coverage for it. So much for their confidence in their products.

When, and if, they put that above claim in their roll-up TV warranty, then, and only then, would I take their claim seriously.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #35
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The same company that says their OLEDs are all but immune to burn-in, but yet won't cover burn-in problems in their product warranty.

They go on and on about how burn-in is extremely unlikely with their OLED TVs, but they won't back that up by offering warranty coverage for it. So much for their confidence in their products.

When, and if, they put that above claim in their roll-up TV warranty, then, and only then, would I take their claim seriously.
Please don't act like any company out there was covering burn in on Plasma TVs and they sold quite well too. OLED manufacturers have put into place warnings and features to help prevent burn in. In fact, Rtings ran a full year of tests on C7 OLEDs recently and their first words were anybody buying a OLED with varied content to view is pretty much safe from burn in. These are TVs ran for like 20hrs straight. In fact, gaming on COD on one C7 didn't have any burn in despite HUD elements.

So don't try and make it out that LG or OLED is some kind of big bad company and tech that isn't consumer friendly. As long as the consumers aren't being morons with what they watch and take little precaution, you'll be perfectly fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #36
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Please don't act like any company out there was covering burn in on Plasma TVs and they sold quite well too. OLED manufacturers have put into place warnings and features to help prevent burn in. In fact, Rtings ran a full year of tests on C7 OLEDs recently and their first words were anybody buying a OLED with varied content to view is pretty much safe from burn in. These are TVs ran for like 20hrs straight. In fact, gaming on COD on one C7 didn't have any burn in despite HUD elements.

So don't try and make it out that LG or OLED is some kind of big bad company and tech that isn't consumer friendly. As long as the consumers aren't being morons with what they watch and take little precaution, you'll be perfectly fine.
I own an LG TV and my computer monitors are all LG. I am not anti-LG at all.

The point is really quite a simple one. LG, and many owners of OLED TVs, have all stated repeatedly that burn-in is a rare issue, bordering on the non existent even, and if it is indeed so rare, LG could easily warrant against burn-in with some or no conditions attached. It would be like they were warranting against a meteor strike or other extremely unlikely occurrence if burn-in is as rare as they go to great lengths to claim it is.

If their OLED TVs are that safe from burn-in, they should warrant against it. Doing so would demonstrate their confidence in their products and assuage lingering concerns among those still on the fence about OLED TVs. If extended warranty companies can afford to take the risk of warranting against burn-in, and some do, then LG should be able to do so as well. After all, the risk is really low, right? There shouldn't be very many claims, even factoring in the "morons" that you speak of?

If their roll-up TV is so resilient to repeated unrollings, then they should similarly warrant against any related unrolling problems. Product claims carry weight when a company backs them up with guarantees; short of that it is just marketing hype from a sales pitch.

LG claims that their OLED TVs have a lifespan of 100,000 hours and they should warrant that claim, too, or it also is just more marketing hype. They should incorporate these claims into their product warranties if there is any real truth to them; they should put their money where their mouth is.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #37
AKORIS AKORIS is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
AKORIS's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
138
2550
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Don't know how you define "cheap," but that word and "OLED" are not seen together often.

The "cheap" 65" LG C8 model OLED at my local Walmart still sells for $2800. My store only stocks the "C" series. It only weighs 56 pounds with the stand and 46 pounds without it- not even close to being "big and heavy". I use to be able to arm curl the latter amount of weight before the decadence that is retirement turned me into the half-baked couch potato that I am now.
it just seems wrong to have an OLED TV sitting on display in a Wal Mart store....
even if it is a lower end model...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #38
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
it just seems wrong to have an OLED TV sitting on display in a Wal Mart store....
even if it is a lower end model...
The price is back up to $2999 for that "lower end" 65" C8 model in store. At what model and price point are we no longer discussing "lower end" LG OLED TVs? The E8, the G8, the W8?

I never thought of $3000 TVs as being low end before; where does that threshold exist now?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #39
AKORIS AKORIS is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
AKORIS's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
138
2550
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The price is back up to $2999 for that "lower end" 65" C8 model in store. At what model and price point are we no longer discussing "lower end" LG OLED TVs? The E8, the G8, the W8?

I never thought of $3000 TVs as being low end before; where does that threshold exist now?
I don't know about you, but a $2999 price point at a Wal Mart electronics section.. seems really out of place to me.

Wrong for the product, wrong for the customer clientele....
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #40
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
142
3864
3670
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
I don't know about you, but a $2999 price point at a Wal Mart electronics section.. seems really out of place to me.

Wrong for the product, wrong for the customer clientele....
Walmart is supposedly trying to sell some products that appeal to more affluent shoppers in an attempt to broaden their clientele.

Just imagine buying your OLED there and having their electronics dept. employees calibrate it for you!

Last edited by Vilya; 01-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 PM.