Best Anime Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63
18 hrs ago
FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19
2 hrs ago
Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82
6 hrs ago
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Mazinger Z: Infinity (Blu-ray)
$16.55
22 hrs ago
Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato  Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Outlaw Star: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.88

Phoenix: Perfect Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.03

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon
Default AnimEigo - Megazone 23 OVA planned for Kickstarter

Special thanks to Nostalgia Twilight for bringing it to attention.
Thanks given by:
Brutalizer79 (04-14-2019), CommanderShiro (04-11-2019), GeoffOliver (04-10-2019), Gorgon (04-10-2019), Gouki (04-10-2019), Keyser Soze. (05-26-2019), Nostalgic Twilight (04-10-2019), professorwho (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Having watched the trailer on Youtube I can confirm that I need this anime in my collection!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
Having watched the trailer on Youtube I can confirm that I need this anime in my collection!
I've only ever owned and watched Part 1 because I was holding out for a US Blu.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

I won't beat my dead horse from the other thread too much, but be aware that the three parts are very different and liking Part I doesn't in any way guarantee you'll like the others.

Part III I've never seen myself, but Part II is a gore fest with a very different feel than Part I. (I hate Part II.)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
I won't beat my dead horse from the other thread too much, but be aware that the three parts are very different and liking Part I doesn't in any way guarantee you'll like the others.

Part III I've never seen myself, but Part II is a gore fest with a very different feel than Part I. (I hate Part II.)
I'm not a gore man myself but I am a sucker for lovely cel remasters:

Part 1 looks little rougher though:
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:

[Show spoiler]

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Special Member

Apr 2010

Yes, insta-backed once available for me! Part II is total Yasuomi Umetsu (Kite, Mezzo Forte, etc.) so people usually fall into two distinct groups, either love or hate him. Part III is Hiroyuki Kitazume, another favorite of mine.

Also the music is awesome.

Thanks given by:
CommanderShiro (04-11-2019), Dailyan (04-10-2019), dr727 (04-11-2019), Nostalgic Twilight (04-10-2019), professorwho (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
Yes, insta-backed once available for me! Part II is total Yasuomi Umetsu (Kite, Mezzo Forte, etc.) so people usually fall into two distinct groups, either love or hate him. Part III is Hiroyuki Kitazume, another favorite of mine.
While Yasuomi Umetsu provided the character designs for Part II, it was directed by Ichiro Itano, who does love the gore. He's the guy responsible for the infamous head stomp and the severed head in Macross: DYRL. He was given carte blanche by Ishiguro to do what he wanted with Part II.

Quote:
Also the music is awesome.
Yes, it is. It's probably my favorite anime soundtrack.
Thanks given by:
Gouki (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:

Part 3 is a little dull, if I recall. Only seen the whole series once. I don't remember it having graphic violence. The director of Part 2 is known for violent gags (and awesome missile-trail animations for Macross).

You might like Part 3, making the overall purchase worthwhile even if you choose not to revisit 2. 3 is set far in the future so it's pretty much an all new cast of characters from parts 1 and 2.

I love part 2 but it's definitely stylistically different from part 1, but I love that it continues the story but in a different art style. For the uninitiated, the attached image features the same two characters in the front. The character designer for part 2 was the director of Kite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190410_141952.jpg (87.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #10

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

GWG: Not funny.

I haven't seen that in 30 years, but I unfortunately remember in great detail exactly what it looks like without being shown it again. I'm really affected by things like this and it's no joke to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
Part 1 looks little rougher though:
Is that what this is going to look like?

Because I think that looks awful, overly edge-enhanced, and reminds me of the UHD Lupin Mamo, though not as bad of course.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

I adore MegaZone 23 and will absolutely participate in this Kickstarter, but I'm still waiting on an update on AD Police Files (another fave of mine), which AnimEigo announced a few years ago.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Yeah, that Part 1 PV looks pretty bad.
Thanks given by:
cfx (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
I haven't seen that in 30 years, but I unfortunately remember in great detail exactly what it looks like without being shown it again. I'm really affected by things like this and it's no joke to me.
I actually have the exact opposite problem. I've seen so much gore from watching horror movies that I have become desensitized and pretty much nothing really bothers me anymore. Hellraiser used to be the one the biggest one that made my skin crawl when I was a kid and even that doesn't phase me nowadays.

EDIT: Regarding Megazone 23, I can't wait to back it. This is one retro anime that I have never seen but it looks to be right up my alley. Plus, I always have to support Robert regardless.

Also, while I haven't checked out the trailer, there is always the possibility that AnimEigo might receive unfiltered masters. Can't forget about Maiden Japan and Patlabor.

Last edited by Nostalgic Twilight; 04-10-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #14
Power Member

Sep 2015
Alabama

Might look into this. I've only seen the Robotech: The Movie version, so it can't be anything but uphill from there.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #15

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Twilight View Post
I actually have the exact opposite problem. I've seen so much gore from watching horror movies that I have become desensitized and pretty much nothing really bothers me anymore.
Obviously I don't watch horror movies. I can stand the old more suspenseful types like Alfred Hitchcock but I don't like even those. Being scared isn't fun at all to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
While Yasuomi Umetsu provided the character designs for Part II, it was directed by Ichiro Itano, who does love the gore. He's the guy responsible for the infamous head stomp and the severed head in Macross: DYRL. He was given carte blanche by Ishiguro to do what he wanted with Part II.
I really dislike those two scenes in DYRL too. They're brief enough I'm not too bothered by them, but I find them very out of place thematically. I'm sure this opinion is heresy, but I'm glad they are gone in the earlier blu-ray release. I rebought that version after seeing how the "remastering" of the newer one came out plus the more limited options in which audio you can use with which version of the film.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #16

Aug 2015
California

Might be more hyped for this than all the previous AnimEigo Kickstarters combined.

Part I and Part II are classics. Part 3 I remember not liking as much, but still happy we're getting all of them.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
The actual Blu-ray of Part 1 looks great. It's just a bad trailer.
Thanks given by:
cfx (04-10-2019), Dailyan (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Is that what this is going to look like?

Because I think that looks awful, overly edge-enhanced, and reminds me of the UHD Lupin Mamo, though not as bad of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
The uploader likes to add edge enhancement and dnr: check his upload of the Macross opening. The actual remaster looks way better:

http://jpsdr.free.fr/XBMC/MZ23-1a.jpg

Thanks given by:
cfx (04-10-2019), Dailyan (04-10-2019), professorwho (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Twilight View Post
EDIT: Regarding Megazone 23, I can't wait to back it. This is one retro anime that I have never seen but it looks to be right up my alley. Plus, I always have to support Robert regardless.
Part 1 is kind of disjointed due to the project's history (First as a Macross spinoff but made separate and originally a broadcast series but the backers pulled out midway through production).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
The uploader likes to add edge enhancement and dnr: check his upload of the Macross opening. The actual remaster looks way better:

That's a relief. I can't wait for that Kickstarter to go live.
Thanks given by:
Nostalgic Twilight (04-10-2019), professorwho (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #20

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post

The screenshot looks much better as does that video (I removed link because it gets clobbered for some reason). But the aspect ratio looks off in the video, narrower than 4:3?
Thanks given by:
professorwho (04-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
megazone 23, ova