Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.30

Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.23

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
Default Settings Updates

When one buys a new 3D player has one also recallibrated his or her video settings for Blu-ray? I found I had to.

Getting into 3D was also my first venture into Blu-ray. So purchased the Disney Wow disc. Could not quite perfect the video test pattern for contrast on my monitor (which I read is common on LEDs) so did additional adjusting via my a/v receiver for precise callibration on all levels

When I got my all region player, the callibration was slightly off. Again using the a/v receiver happily resulted in improved picture and 3D quality over my previous player.

Now, most players offer their own enhancement modes which I avoided in the past. They just did not appear natural. But I noticed a slight increase in 3D depth switching to the movie mode of my recently acquired region free Samsung BD H5900 (2014 model manufactured late 2018). Obviously that offset my callibrations so enhanced 3D was coupled with less overall picture quality.

Was curious to see if the picture could be properly callibrated incorporating the movie mode's enhancement or if it would simply offset the mode's enhancements (resulting in the same type picture when in "normal"). Was elated with the result. In conjunction with the darbee video processor, there was a slight but noticable improvement in 3D and picture quality.

Only problem is the receiver's settings are now too bright for cable, so when listening in Dolby digital I bypass them and stick with my monitor's settings which remained untouched all this time (and always used for cable when the receiver isn't in play anyway).

Last edited by Joe D.; 05-17-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Come on guys. Won't anyone humor me with a reply, even if it's only out of pity?

Getting zero responses really makes one feel quite gauche.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

For 3D on my TVs I use a different picture mode from my ISF calibrated 2D SDR mode. I made slight adjustments specifically for 3D using a couple of basic S&M test patterns. I only use the TV's picture settings, I never alter picture settings in either the players or receivers because I want those to be able to send an untouched/unaltered signal.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
For 3D on my TVs I use a different picture mode from my ISF calibrated 2D SDR mode. I made slight adjustments specifically for 3D using a couple of basic S&M test patterns. I only use the TV's picture settings, I never alter picture settings in either the players or receivers because I want those to be able to send an untouched/unaltered signal.
Thanks djr,

I use the custom mode on my TV for my components. I wanted cable to be as close to proper calibration as possible but as mentioned, the contrast cannot be fully set to optimum. That's when I began using the receiver which gets it precisely so can enjoy Blu-ray and 3D to the fullest.

Tried adjusting the cable using a different mode on my TV since they are independent of each other. The receiver and bluray were set to neutral but still couldn't zero in on the contrast any better.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology