Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95
17 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Creed II (Blu-ray)
$25.49
 
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #61
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1647
299
4
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
But that could be another year yet... I really do want to see if they come out with a new 5050 this year, or if it won't be until be next year.

It absolutely must have 3D though, or else I may have to go with another 1080p model, maybe the 4000. 3D support is much more important to me than 4K.
My 5010 died....would’ve loved to wait for a True 4K Projector, but honestly I cannot go a week let alone a year or 2 without it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #62
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1257
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
My 5010 died....would’ve loved to wait for a True 4K Projector, but honestly I cannot go a week let alone a year or 2 without it.
seems like you and GwG are both in the same hole ridden projector boat!

hope you guys get things resolved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #63
Dirk504 Dirk504 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dirk504's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
19
255
4
Default

I was going to recommend waiting for CEDIA as well. The 5040 released almost 2 years ago, so Epson is due for a 5050, especially with all the issues from the 5040.

I'm also hoping Sony and JVC offer more affordable 4k options.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #64
Girls With Guns Girls With Guns is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Girls With Guns's Avatar
 
May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA
32
462
144
22
Default

Best Buy is having a sale this week on Epson projectors, $200 of both the 5040 and the 4000 - so I went to the Best Buy near my work over lunch just to check things out. They actually had both the 5040 and the 4040 (the black installer version of the 4000) mounted in one of their demo rooms, and both aimed at the same Black Diamond grey screen. They also had one each of the 4000 and the 5040 in stock; the salesman told me the 5040 was the one I had ordered and cancelled. I asked him to do a comparison of the two projectors so I could see the difference in contrast between the two.

They had the 4040 projecting on the screen, and it looked Ok, slightly washed out on the screen because the room was moderately lighted, which of course would make it look a little less contrast-y. He then went to switch over to the 5040 and... it was dead. Yes, the infamous power supply issue with the flashing blue and orange lights strikes again!! He said they had a bulb issue with it and just recently replaced the bulb, but now it's not coming on at all and they have to call Epson for service. I said "Welp, that makes up my mind for sure - no way I'm ever getting a 5040, you can keep it!"

Their $200-off sale only lasts until Saturday, and since they only had one 4000 in stock, I decided to go ahead an purchase it at $1599 with 24 month 0% financing - BUT, I'm not going to open it, I'm just setting it aside until after any CEDIA announcements. So, if there is no new projector I'm interested in, I'll still have saved $200 on the 4000, and if there is something releasing soon I want to get in place of the 4000, I have 15 days to return it unopened and get my money back. So now it's just a waiting game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #65
evan201 evan201 is offline
Member
 
evan201's Avatar
 
May 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
So, if there is no new projector I'm interested in, I'll still have saved $200 on the 4000, and if there is something releasing soon I want to get in place of the 4000, I have 15 days to return it unopened and get my money back. so now it's just a waiting game.
Sounds smart to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #66
Girls With Guns Girls With Guns is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Girls With Guns's Avatar
 
May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA
32
462
144
22
Default

Although, now it's totally killing me to have to look at that big brown box with an image of the projector on its side, just sitting here in the theater room but not doing anything, lol... I'd better throw a blanket over it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #67
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1257
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Although, now it's totally killing me to have to look at that big brown box with an image of the projector on its side, just sitting here in the theater room but not doing anything, lol... I'd better throw a blanket over it.
Funny, whenever I'm looking at a "big brown box", I never think of a projector, but, that's just me of course!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-30-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #68
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1647
299
4
14
Default

When watching a UHD that is SDR, like Brawl in Cell Block 99, do you set it to Natural or Bright Cinema mode?

For HDR content, I use Bright Cinema.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #69
drmdvl drmdvl is offline
Member
 
Nov 2016
32
130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
When watching a UHD that is SDR, like Brawl in Cell Block 99, do you set it to Natural or Bright Cinema mode?

For HDR content, I use Bright Cinema.
Do you mean stripping UHD HDR metadata to SDR?
Either way for HDR or SDR UHD titles I always use digital cinema mode, you'd want to use the P3 filter to take advantage of the wide color gamut - but it will need to be calibrated
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Travis (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #70
Girls With Guns Girls With Guns is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Girls With Guns's Avatar
 
May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA
32
462
144
22
Default

Well, since this thread is back, I'll give an update to my previous posts from August. I ended up returning the 4000 and getting a Refurbished 5030UB from Epson for $1100. I've decided to wait for 4K technology to mature a little more in the projector market, and I'll still have good 3D capabilities with the 5030, which I needed to keep my large 3D Blu-ray collection relevant. I just didn't trust the 5040UB with all it's power supply issues to invest in one of those.

Has there been any word at all yet on the 5050? I haven't been paying attention to the new model releases lately.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dirk504 (12-18-2018), Travis (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #71
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1647
299
4
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
Do you mean stripping UHD HDR metadata to SDR?
Either way for HDR or SDR UHD titles I always use digital cinema mode, you'd want to use the P3 filter to take advantage of the wide color gamut - but it will need to be calibrated
No stripping. Disc is SDR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #72
Dirk504 Dirk504 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dirk504's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
19
255
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Well, since this thread is back, I'll give an update to my previous posts from August. I ended up returning the 4000 and getting a Refurbished 5030UB from Epson for $1100. I've decided to wait for 4K technology to mature a little more in the projector market, and I'll still have good 3D capabilities with the 5030, which I needed to keep my large 3D Blu-ray collection relevant. I just didn't trust the 5040UB with all it's power supply issues to invest in one of those.

Has there been any word at all yet on the 5050? I haven't been paying attention to the new model releases lately.
I'm waiting for 5050UB news as well. I really want the JVC NX5, but I can't see myself spending $6k for what could be a marginal upgrade. If a 5050 is released, my guess is that it'll be priced competitively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 AM   #73
drmdvl drmdvl is offline
Member
 
Nov 2016
32
130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
No stripping. Disc is SDR.
What color space is showing under signal on your projector when playing this disc?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #74
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1647
299
4
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
What color space is showing under signal on your projector when playing this disc?
Projector Info
BT.709 SDR
12 bit 4:2:2
3840x2160

Player Info
4K/24p
SDR
Ultra HD Blu-ray
HEVC
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #75
drmdvl drmdvl is offline
Member
 
Nov 2016
32
130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Projector Info
BT.709 SDR
12 bit 4:2:2
3840x2160

Player Info
4K/24p
SDR
Ultra HD Blu-ray
HEVC
In that case, I use natural mode for rec 709 - of course calibrated. But if your pj is not calibrated, I think bright cinema is pretty good out of the box for SDR
Didnt know there were UHD titles mastered in that color space - learn something new everyday.
Everything I am reading says that particular movie has a blue filter on it until the end BTW.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Travis (12-20-2018)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #76
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1647
299
4
14
Default

Anyone getting 4K @ 60Hz, 12 bit 4:4:4 on their Epson 5040 when playing UHD discs?

How long is the HDMI cable.

I need a new cable. Old 50 foot cable fails passing 4K now. It had played about 2 dozen discs with no issue, but now it’s not.

If 4K @ 23.97Hz, 12 bit 4:2:3 is the best, I won’t bother with fiber optic HDMI cable.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 AM.