Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$33.88

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 01-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

I also played it last night, for about 45 mins maybe. It's very slow. I would have lost interest fairly quickly if the reviews weren't so glowing... so I am motived to play it longer and see if it's really for me. but right now I am pretty bored. Luckily I have GamePass though.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:48 AM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
I also played it last night, for about 45 mins maybe. It's very slow. I would have lost interest fairly quickly if the reviews weren't so glowing... so I am motived to play it longer and see if it's really for me. but right now I am pretty bored. Luckily I have GamePass though.
What glowing reviews? It's at a 71 on metacritic lol. I also wouldn't bother playing much further. I can't speak for everyone, but the ending was a joke to me and just pissed me off. I've given Bloober several chances with their games. They all have practically no gameplay, and focus on the story, but each time the stories end up sucking. Not bothering with this studio anymore.
Thanks given by:
Firefoxie (02-06-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 AM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Finished this earlier today. I really liked it. Solid story and very atmospheric. Graphically it was a mixed bag. It’s not a next gen show case of course, but didn’t expect that as it’s a lower budget AA type game. Has just gotten a bigger spotlight than it should as the first Xbox Series X|S game not also on Xbox One rather that’s just being received as a smaller title that hit Gamepass. In some places I thought it looked very good, in others very rough and the animation is pretty stiff.

Anyway, it was right up my alley as I like walking sim/adventure games where you’re just going along a linear path and piecing together the story from things your read and discover with little game play or puzzle challenges to slow you. A lot of people don’t like these kind of game and this one certainly won’t change any minds there as it’s not as good IMO as things like Life is Strange and what not since it lacks the dialogue and choice making to impact outcomes. If someone didn’t like those kind of games, definitely not going to like this and it’ important to recognize that it’s not a Silent Hill or Resident Evil type game. The marketing makes it look kind of like that, but it’s not as there’s no combat or survival horror elements. It’s purely walk along along and interact with things to reveal story bits, do some very simple puzzles and some simple stealth and chase sequences.

No way I think it’s worth the $50 for people who don’t have Gamepass, but worth playing if you like this type of game and have Gamepass for sure.
Thanks given by:
Flack999 (02-01-2021), KilloWertz (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:16 AM   #44
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Finished this earlier today. I really liked it. Solid story and very atmospheric. Graphically it was a mixed bag. Itís not a next gen show case of course, but didnít expect that as itís a lower budget AA type game. Has just gotten a bigger spotlight than it should as the first Xbox Series X|S game not also on Xbox One rather thatís just being received as a smaller title that hit Gamepass. In some places I thought it looked very good, in others very rough and the animation is pretty stiff.

Anyway, it was right up my alley as I like walking sim/adventure games where youíre just going along a linear path and piecing together the story from things your read and discover with little game play or puzzle challenges to slow you. A lot of people donít like these kind of game and this one certainly wonít change any minds there as itís not as good IMO as things like Life is Strange and what not since it lacks the dialogue and choice making to impact outcomes. If someone didnít like those kind of games, definitely not going to like this and ití important to recognize that itís not a Silent Hill or Resident Evil type game. The marketing makes it look kind of like that, but itís not as thereís no combat or survival horror elements. Itís purely walk along along and interact with things to reveal story bits, do some very simple puzzles and some simple stealth and chase sequences.

No way I think itís worth the $50 for people who donít have Gamepass, but worth playing if you like this type of game and have Gamepass for sure.
This is definitely not what I thought it was originally when it was revealed during one of Microsoft's showcases last year, but I'd still likely check it out if I get a Series X again (sold my first one to somebody at work).

Not sure it's my kind of game, but I was intrigued by it before and I have Game Pass, so I'd still like to give it a shot at least. It doesn't seem like it's that long either, so it wouldn't exactly be a big investment either.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #45

Aug 2009

pace and gameplay are very similar to Blair Witch, which started to test my patience by the end of it. We'll see if this gets as tedious... so far it's not and I think I'm 75% through.
Thanks given by:
emailking (02-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #46

Aug 2011
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Finished this earlier today. I really liked it. Solid story and very atmospheric. Graphically it was a mixed bag. Itís not a next gen show case of course, but didnít expect that as itís a lower budget AA type game. Has just gotten a bigger spotlight than it should as the first Xbox Series X|S game not also on Xbox One rather thatís just being received as a smaller title that hit Gamepass. In some places I thought it looked very good, in others very rough and the animation is pretty stiff.

Anyway, it was right up my alley as I like walking sim/adventure games where youíre just going along a linear path and piecing together the story from things your read and discover with little game play or puzzle challenges to slow you. A lot of people donít like these kind of game and this one certainly wonít change any minds there as itís not as good IMO as things like Life is Strange and what not since it lacks the dialogue and choice making to impact outcomes. If someone didnít like those kind of games, definitely not going to like this and ití important to recognize that itís not a Silent Hill or Resident Evil type game. The marketing makes it look kind of like that, but itís not as thereís no combat or survival horror elements. Itís purely walk along along and interact with things to reveal story bits, do some very simple puzzles and some simple stealth and chase sequences.

No way I think itís worth the $50 for people who donít have Gamepass, but worth playing if you like this type of game and have Gamepass for sure.
Thanks for this review.
I was also under the impression this is an action/adventure with combat etc.
It was so far the only Series game I was interested in, so this puts the Series X even further back on my wishlist
Old 02-26-2021, 01:01 AM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

I'm about halfway through on Series X. Not a fan of the fixed camera angles, but otherwise I'm liking it a lot. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and remind me of The Order: 1886 in terms of how much detail there is.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (Yesterday)
Old 03-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

I finished the game and am working on achievements. If you have Gamepass definitely give it a go. I don't think it's worth $50 though so maybe hold off until the price goes down before buying it.

The dual realities simultaneously rendered is definitely pretty cool, although this is only like half of the game.
Thanks given by:
KilloWertz (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 AM   #49
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
I finished the game and am working on achievements. If you have Gamepass definitely give it a go. I don't think it's worth $50 though so maybe hold off until the price goes down before buying it.

The dual realities simultaneously rendered is definitely pretty cool, although this is only like half of the game.
Now that I got a Series X yesterday, I'll likely check this out at some point via Game Pass. I was pretty excited for the game when it was first revealed back at their first showcase last year, but with the reviews being solid but not great, I think my expectations are more in check so that I should be able to enjoy it just fine.

Going into it knowing that there's no combat really helps too, as I would have likely been disappointed if I didn't know that going in.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #50
Special Member

Nov 2014

That’s something I really like about Game Pass. Most of the games on there look interesting but aren’t games I’d pay full price for. Since we don’t have GameFly or at her rental services for Xbox, this is a good way to try a variety of games w/o waiting on a discount.

Then again, I’ve downloaded The Medium but haven’t launched it yet, so maybe this is just the new backlog...
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM   #51
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

I got a Series X the other day & was really interested in getting The Medium. After reading the impressions on here though I think Iíll hold off until I get Game Pass at some point.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X