Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96
21 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74
 
The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25
 
Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96
9 hrs ago
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33
 
Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3421
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
Tangled: Count Up to 50th Animated Motion Picture - YouTube
Wait a second, did they use the cap source for RDU in this again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
They did.
They didn't! It has grain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #3422
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Alright, who put in the evil flavor?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #3423
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
They didn't! It has grain.
Huh, really? I'll have to take a closer look, I was so certain they'd CAPS-sourced it. Maybe it's because all the other CAPS-movies are CAPS-sourced (Hunchback, for example, I have never seen without grain before)
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #3424
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Huh, really? I'll have to take a closer look, I was so certain they'd CAPS-sourced it. Maybe it's because all the other CAPS-movies are CAPS-sourced (Hunchback, for example, I have never seen without grain before)
I checked the clip on my Tangled Blu-ray to be sure.

haha! Hunchback is the only one I'm not sure about whether it's film-sourced or not.

there are plenty of CAPS-sourced clips from the Blu-ray on YouTube if you wanna check them out


Last edited by Lnds500; 01-18-2013 at 07:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #3425
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I checked the clip on my Tangled Blu-ray to be sure.

haha! Hunchback is the only one I'm not sure about whether it's film-sourced or not.

there are plenty of CAPS-sourced clips from the Blu-ray on YouTube if you wanna check them out

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: 2 Movie Collection Blu Ray - YouTube
I know, I drool over these the entire time
But the countdown feature was the first time I ever saw a HonD clip in CAPS after many crummy DVD viewings, so that's what I meant.

I'm gonna toss my own Tangled BD in and have a look..
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #3426
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmjonny View Post
Since we were talking about replacement cases here, I'm getting the Elites for my Muppets and Rescuers which were poorly jammed into a 2 disc case.

Would the elite 4 disc fit in a disney slipcover? I'm just thinking ahead for the 3 upcoming 2 movie collections, and Wreck-It Ralph 3D.
Just with one tray and discs on both ends of the case, not like Fantasia, but more so like Monsters Inc but with a thinner case
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #3427
disneyfreak disneyfreak is offline
Power Member
 
disneyfreak's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
44
20
Default

I checked it last night it is indeed a print. Hunchback is caps and all the rest of the films look overall good except some of the package films have dust in the background. Some of the 70s films have a lot of grain and so does Oliver and company so they'll probably restore them too
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #3428
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
I checked it last night it is indeed a print. Hunchback is caps and all the rest of the films look overall good except some of the package films have dust in the background. Some of the 70s films have a lot of grain and so does Oliver and company so they'll probably restore them too
Oliver & Company plus the package films are looking awful in that compilation, especially The Three Caballeros! They'll have to extensively restore that..
I recently watched my 2004 Aladdin DVD and there was a preview for Bambi on DVD.. it looked pathetic, just as scratched and damaged as the package movies look now! We can only hope :P
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #3429
disneyfreak disneyfreak is offline
Power Member
 
disneyfreak's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
44
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Oliver & Company plus the package films are looking awful in that compilation, especially The Three Caballeros! They'll have to extensively restore that..
I recently watched my 2004 Aladdin DVD and there was a preview for Bambi on DVD.. it looked pathetic, just as scratched and damaged as the package movies look now! We can only hope :P
I'm glad were on the same page I thought three caballeros looked the worse too a couple of them look okay though. Great mouse detective looked odd too idk if that's the same transfer as the bluray because I don't own it
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #3430
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Watching the video again last night (the 50 countdown) I can't tell why people get worried about the restoration being to digital, I don't know why I keep looking at the fluency of the motion and between Fantasia and Three Caballeros, they looked the same
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #3431
disneyfreak disneyfreak is offline
Power Member
 
disneyfreak's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
44
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
Watching the video again last night (the 50 countdown) I can't tell why people get worried about the restoration being to digital, I don't know why I keep looking at the fluency of the motion and between Fantasia and Three Caballeros, they looked the same
I'm not exactly sure what your talking about, because all Disney restorations are digital. Digital sources are from Batb forward. The youtube clip even in 1080p is very deceiving. If you watch it on a tv, you'll see that 3 Caballeros needs extensive work and looks nothing like Fantasia.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #3432
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
I'm not exactly sure what your talking about, because all Disney restorations are digital. Digital sources are from Batb forward. The youtube clip even in 1080p is very deceiving. If you watch it on a tv, you'll see that 3 Caballeros needs extensive work and looks nothing like Fantasia.
No I mean the fluency of the animation
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3433
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
No I mean the fluency of the animation
But what does that have to do with how it's restored or how it's damaged?
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #3434
The Mad Kiwi The Mad Kiwi is offline
Special Member
 
The Mad Kiwi's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Homestead, FL
600
122
Default

I think what Jonathan's trying to say is that there have been some naysayers who claim that these restorations scrub the animation too clean to the point where the fludity of the animation is affected. They claim there's some sort of strobe effect going on as if frames were missing or something. That, of course, is bogus, and what Jonathan's trying to say is that (in terms of animation movement, not clarity) the restored Fantasia clip doesn't differ from the clearly unrestored Three Caballeros clip.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #3435
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
I think what Jonathan's trying to say is that there have been some naysayers who claim that these restorations scrub the animation too clean to the point where the fludity of the animation is affected. They claim there's some sort of strobe effect going on as if frames were missing or something. That, of course, is bogus, and what Jonathan's trying to say is that (in terms of animation movement, not clarity) the restored Fantasia clip doesn't differ from the clearly unrestored Three Caballeros clip.
Wow, you summed it up perfectly
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3436
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
I think what Jonathan's trying to say is that there have been some naysayers who claim that these restorations scrub the animation too clean to the point where the fludity of the animation is affected. They claim there's some sort of strobe effect going on as if frames were missing or something. That, of course, is bogus, and what Jonathan's trying to say is that (in terms of animation movement, not clarity) the restored Fantasia clip doesn't differ from the clearly unrestored Three Caballeros clip.
Ah I get it

Popped in my own Tangled BD today to check it out, and to my surprise most of the clips (especially the non-caps clips) look rather horrible. The pre-war movies look sublime, then the package movies.. (Saludos Amigos, Caballeros and Make Mine Music upgraded into high def without cleaning, the others just soft DVD quality shots), the fifties movies look great, than the sixties movies also look okay (but Sword in the Stone and Jungle Book are rather grainy and unclean in the backgrounds), then the 70s which somehow looks disastrous (Winnie the Pooh is soft, the Rescuers quality is not the same as the BD of that film), than the eighties which is almost just as bad as the 40s, especially Oliver & Co.

Makes you wonder how well the eighties movies would fare on BD either way.. I'm a bit confused, where they made with Xerox as well, or was Fox and the Hound the last film to use this technology?
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #3437
goeagles5039 goeagles5039 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
goeagles5039's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Wakanda
170
52
Default

How is the picture quality on the rescuers and the rescuers down under?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #3438
TheAnimeLegend TheAnimeLegend is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
TheAnimeLegend's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
155
1
Default

I wasn't going to buy this because I doubted with how much I would really watch it but thinking it over I might go ahead and bite the bullet and just get it because even if I don't watch the Rescuers that much, I know that I would watch the Rescuers Down Under probably more frequently.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #3439
pascal2015 pascal2015 is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
Ten years later ...

(Disney then restored and remastered the movie for its October 4, 2005 release as the sixth installment of the Walt Disney Platinum Editions series.)

Dear Walt, my daughter is an adult now ... please, give us a proper edition.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.