Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Captain America: Civil War (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
C$9.99

Attack on Titan: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
15 hrs ago
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
C$13.99

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

Dragon Ball Super: Part 3 (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
5 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War (Blu-ray)
C$23.99

Free! Movie Collection: High Speed! & Timeless Medley & Take Your Marks (Blu-ray)
C$69.99

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
C$36.37

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
11 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2011
Canada The Big "Does It Have French On The Packaging?" Thread!

Mainly because it's the question I ask most when I look at domestic (CDN) blu's.

So:

Can anyone confirm whether THE RAID: REDEMPTION (Alliance) has french on the slipcover spine?!!??!
MOST WANTED MODERN:
Irréversible, Inside, Visitor Q, A Tale of Two Sisters, Cold Prey, Hidden, Hora, The Monitor, Next Door, Noroi: The Curse, Cure, Trouble Every Day
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2010
Atlantic Canada

Not on the right hand side.
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it. White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

I don't really find the French annoying, only except on the spine when it says Blade and then Blade again. If the title is the same in both languages, then it doesn't really need printed twice on the cover.
Thanks given by:
marksw321 (05-23-2015)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
I don't really find the French annoying, only except on the spine when it says Blade and then Blade again. If the title is the same in both languages, then it doesn't really need printed twice on the cover.
For us bilingual folk, ALL bilingual titles say BLADE BLADE lol
MOST WANTED MODERN:
Irréversible, Inside, Visitor Q, A Tale of Two Sisters, Cold Prey, Hidden, Hora, The Monitor, Next Door, Noroi: The Curse, Cure, Trouble Every Day
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2011

Jeepers Creepers
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

All hand French on cover and spine.
MOST WANTED MODERN:
Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain85 View Post
Not on the right hand side.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Canada

Great thread! I was wondering if the Jet Li collection has french on the spine? any help would be appreciated!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Here's an odd thing.

I just got KILLER KLOWNS, JEEPERS CREEPERS and TCM2 from amazon.ca.

My copy of KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE is English only...no French.

Checking the amazon.ca site, I see they do indeed have two different BD listings. One of them is Bilingual. One is English only.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #9

Mar 2012
Ontario

Titanic has french on the cover & spine but it is quite unobtrusive.

If anyone wanted to know.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Checking the amazon.ca site, I see they do indeed have two different BD listings. One of them is Bilingual. One is English only.
They usually say "import" in the product specs if it is the US version. If you buy from a marketplace (3rd party) seller also check if they are shipping from the USA. Many of the Canadian sellers get confused and link their ads to the wrong item number (ASIN).
I trade US imports in Canada: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=166741
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #11

Jul 2009

The whole English/French cover art, or the bilingual dilemma as I call it; I was going to start a thread about this very topic, but did a search and found this one instead.

It's interesting, as anyone who's been collecting movies for as long as the home video format has been around, this bilingual packaging thing has only started in the last few years. In the VHS and LaserDisc days, no such thing existed. All the packaging was in English, unless you went out of the country (or perhaps Quebec).

Even in the days of DVD, only until recently, say the last four to five years have both DVD and Blu-ray's carried bilingual packaging.

I for one DESPISE it.

As a fan of movie art, seeing the current state of movie art (posters and home video packaging) become a cheap photoshopped quickie of floating heads, terrible fonts and logos; and to add more clutter to it with another language on the cover and spines, just drives me bananas.

The question for me has been, why? Yes, Canada is a bilingual country, but why now? We've had VHS, BETA, LaserDisc and DVD, nearly three decades of the home video format without bilingual packaging. All of a sudden now the marketplace is dominated by it. Why can't we have double-sided artwork, all English on one side and French on the other? Is this a law being enforced by the Canadian government? Probably not. It's more than likely the studios home video divisions getting cheap on their printing and pressing of discs to save a buck. Why print two different versions of the same disc and disc artwork when you can double-up on one disc that contains both languages.

But not all the studios are doing it. I've yet to see a Disney or Criterion Blu-ray disc contain bilingual packaging. And some discs that are limited or special editions won't have English and French printed on the packaging or discs themselves, but contain that little paper insert rubber-glued onto the back of the packaging, in which those are the only thing bilingual on it; as an example Universal's 100th Anniversary DigiBook editions. These don't bother me as much, as I consider them throw-away for the most part.

I know I'm in the minority here, as most of friends and fellow Blu-ray collector's think I'm nuts. But just so I can avoid the bilingual stuff, I have been ordering my Blu-ray's from Amazon USA for the past number of years. It's sure as not as fun or as easy to complete my collections when I have to wait for an online order, or miss out on some great deals in the stores here in Canada. But that's the battle I'm willing to continue fighting.

In any case, the James Bond 50th Anniversary box set is at my local Costco for $169.00. The paper insert outside of the box is bilingual. Anyone in Canada know if the discs and artwork inside the set is also bilingual, or all English? It's a good price and I don't want to have to wait to order it from Amazon, or risk having the box damaged when shipping.
4K UHD Wish List: Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy, Star Wars: The Original Theatrical Cuts Definitive Trilogy, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Batman: 30th Anniversary Edition
Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #12

May 2011

Amen, brother! Keep up the fight! I've NEVER bought a bilingual DVD or blu-ray and I never will. It really does suck that 98% of the time I just can't walk in to a store and buy something I want, but...bilingual covers are so damn ugly! I can't even imagine how much cash I've deprived Canadian stores of, but it's their own fault.

See, make no mistake - the only reason companies do it is to save money, not out of concern for our francophone neighbours. Printing one version of the cover is cheaper than printing two, and it's easier for stores to stock only one version of a title as well.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that once the cardboard backing comes off and goes in the trash, the James Bond set is 100% english inside. Go spend, and enjoy.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #13

Apr 2012
Rimouski, Quebec
Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden

Bilingual artwork is annoying. I dont like having the french title on the cover. And i'm french speaking. But i prefer the movie in english, as well as the cover.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #14

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaldo View Post
See, make no mistake - the only reason companies do it is to save money, not out of concern for our francophone neighbours. Printing one version of the cover is cheaper than printing two, and it's easier for stores to stock only one version of a title as well.
It makes me wonder, in Quebec, do they have the same situation, but in reverse?? Large print in French, and then small print in English.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?
4K UHD Wish List: Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy, Star Wars: The Original Theatrical Cuts Definitive Trilogy, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Batman: 30th Anniversary Edition
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydmc12 View Post
It makes me wonder, in Quebec, do they have the same situation, but in reverse?? Large print in French, and then small print in English.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?
Yes.

I live in Winnipeg but, on occasion, the local HMV has got some shipments of Quebec stock and that's exactly what it is: Large print French and small print English.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #16

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Yes.

I live in Winnipeg but, on occasion, the local HMV has got some shipments of Quebec stock and that's exactly what it is: Large print French and small print English.
Well then this changes my theory about why the studios/home video distributors would print bilingual, to cut costs on printing.

If they're printing two versions to begin with, then why even bother with the bilingual packaging at all? Just make one all English and one all French. That way they're still following the law and making both languages available to the public, are they not?

But then again, I have friends who play video games, and have told me that packaging on Xbox games are now also bilingual. This makes me wonder if this is truly some sort of new law put in-place by the Canadian Government.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #17

Mar 2012
Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydmc12 View Post
I've yet to see a Disney or Criterion Blu-ray disc contain bilingual packaging.
Bilingual Disney movies definitely exist, I have seen them at Future Shop. They had the English-only versions as well. That was a while ago though, I think around when Bambi came out. I haven't seen any since then.

Edit: like this one
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

I think those are just 2-sided ones with the French side facing out and can be flipped. It can't be a Canadian law, but maybe a Quebec law, otherwise all those digibooks, steelbooks, box sets and other imports would be banned. I think they are just catering to Quebec and assuming the rest of the country won't notice or care. Which is silly because I haven't heard one (French) person defend them or say they actually enjoy the bilingual text or translated titles.

I am down to about 1% of my blu-ray collection with bilingual texts and that is because I've gone out of my way to look for imports and travel to the States and import originals. The remaining few are kept as a conscious decision for technical reasons (in some cases the Canadian release is superior or unique). You're right it is hard work!

I realized the visual clutter Canadian issues were causing on my shelf when I started trading on this site and received US originals. My DVD and HDDVD collection is not so clean, but that was before I even noticed and cared. When I hit that turning point I posted like 80 titles for sale and re-bought the same bloody discs with different jackets. Talk about double or quadruple dipping!

Now I just take my time and wait patiently for online deals or the next trip to the States. Sometimes you get lucky and find an original Universal title mixed in with the bilingual versions on store shelves. It is more challenging and easier on the wallet at least. Plus there is always Disney and HBO

Last edited by AVfile; 10-26-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

I would agree with all that.

This is going to be big list because you need to add all the TV shows, many box sets, digibooks, most steelbooks, all Disney, VVS Films, some Universal and early Maple titles just off the top of my head.

Stefan - AVphile
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Has anyone found MIB TRILOGY non-bilingual?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada