Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
20 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
10 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 hr ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
8 hrs ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
21 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
19 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #29561
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Watch 4k Hacksaw Ridge when you can. No need to look elsewhere.
Have but not watched yet. Watched as a Netflix rental but no Atmos.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:21 PM   #29562
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Jupiter Ascending has several uses of Atmos. You need subs with this one. See you have it in 3-D, so how is it in 3-D?

Posted earlier: Some titles that I like for Atmos: Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, The House With A Clock In Its Walls, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, The Great Wall, Independence Day: Resurgence, Mad Max: Fury Road and Unbroken (air battle scenes).

It appears you are pleased with the SVS Prime Elevation Speaker's. What finish did you get?
I purchased Jupiter Ascending for its 3D presentation when I found it bargain priced, but I have not watched it yet as I heard it was kind of a movie; did you enjoy the actual movie?

Thanks for reposting those other recommendations; I will watch them all.

I am happy with the SVS Prime Elevation speakers thus far; I got them in Black Ash. I am too cheap to pay an additional $100 per pair for the Piano Gloss Black (or White) finish. There are far better uses for $100, IMO.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #29563
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I purchased Jupiter Ascending for its 3D presentation when I found it bargain priced, but I have not watched it yet as I heard it was kind of a movie; did you enjoy the actual movie?
IMHO, the sound track makes it watchable. Seeing it has an Atmos track on the 3-D version makes me want to procure another copy. I will take a good 3-D BD over a UHD BD any day.

Quote:
I am happy with the SVS Prime Elevation speakers thus far; I got them in Black Ash. I am too cheap to pay an additional $100 per pair for the Piano Gloss Black (or White) finish. There are far better uses for $100, IMO.
I like piano's in gloss black, most other items I prefer in satin or flat black. As is I use cotton gloves when handling most equipment items. I have dry hands but they still leave finger prints.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #29564
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
IMHO, the sound track makes it watchable. Seeing it has an Atmos track on the 3-D version makes me want to procure another copy. I will take a good 3-D BD over a UHD BD any day.

I like piano's in gloss black, most other items I prefer in satin or flat black. As is I use cotton gloves when handling most equipment items. I have dry hands but they still leave finger prints.
I also enjoy a well made 3D blu-ray and I will usually choose the 3D blu-ray over a 4K disc. The 3D experience is just too much fun to resist.

I like the look of piano gloss black, but these are overhead speakers that I seldom look at; seems silly to pay an extra $100 per pair for a finish that I will hardly ever notice.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 PM   #29565
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post

Thanks for reposting those other recommendations; I will watch them all.

Jupiter is a Jack of all trades Atmos wise. A fantastic workout in every regard.

The 3D is very strong with outstanding depth.

I went through a spell where I broke my own rule and bought any old tack if it was 3D. This was one such purchase. It’s far from a classic but it’s elevated by the Atmos and 3D.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-17-2021), Wendell R. Breland (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #29566
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
the problem with that is two fold

1) if predictions=facts we would all be traveling to other planets for a weekend get away and riding our flying electric cars to the cinema while our robots would do all the chores

2) does tech get smaller and better? absolutely, the Atari VCS comes with 100+ games and it is puny compared to the original, but I bought a PS5 (even though it is bigger then any other console previously released) because it can do a lot more. my UHD BD can fit a lot more data then the first CD I bought. The problem is the other side of that coin, A step forward in the demand of the tech brings with it a step forward of what is expected from that tech.

That sounds terrible and useless. The nice thing about AR is that I would be able to sit anywhere and watch a film/ play a game of pool. If I need a game room for my pool table and I need to walk around that big empty space to play why wouldn't I just buy a real table? Right now people can choose to watch something on my 10' wide screen in the HT, on my8' wide screen in my BR, on my 75"TV in the family room..... but there are other people in the house and if we want to watch something different then not every option is available, with glasses the equivalent of that 10' screen can be in the HT, in the BR, in that FR.... with every seat being in the right position) that is the only advantage of glasses, now you want to get rid of it by forcing the perspective to be the same as if that physical object was there.

yes and no, New tech becomes cheaper but old tech becomes obsolete and gets replaced by new tech. what I mean, and since you keep on bringing up Apple, their first iPhone was 499 USD for the 4 GB version the cheapest iphone 12 has a lot more capabilities but it is also more expensive and if you wanted to get a cheap new iphone 1 it would be impossible.

It is not like a DVD player where the specs are written in stone and so you can get to antiquated commodity prices.
Well yeah, there are no guarantees.

I agree about minimisation but in this instance itís a absolute necessity so all focus will go on Mekong the tech smaller.

The multiple viewer thing isnít a forced situation. You could just as easily watch something else but the whole point was about communal viewing.

For the pool table I was just using an example. The point is, you could have it fixed anywhere without taking Space in the real world. It could be a monopoly board, a chess board, a ten pin bowling set up, a dart board etc..
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 PM   #29567
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Jupiter Ascending has several uses of Atmos. You need subs with this one. See you have it in 3-D, so how is it in 3-D?

Posted earlier: Some titles that I like for Atmos: Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, The House With A Clock In Its Walls, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, The Great Wall, Independence Day: Resurgence, Mad Max: Fury Road and Unbroken (air battle scenes).

It appears you are pleased with the SVS Prime Elevation Speaker's. What finish did you get?
Sorry, missed your post. Like I mentioned above, very impressive depth while the crisp picture lends itself well to great separation. One of the better offerings of recent times.

Watched 3D Nude Cuties tonight. Adam And Six Eves had very good depth and one wow moment of pop out.

Itís very tame with just exposed breasts. It was plenty fun.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #29568
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

So the subwoofers from Monoprice lowered in price and I tried pulling the trigger on them last night, but my payment was rejected from my CC provider For "unusual activity." I had just made that Vinegar Syndrome order I mentioned in an earlier post like 5 minutes prior, so I figured that's why they blocked it from going through. I started a ticket with them to sort it out, so as not to get blocked again.

The subs are at $99 each for the slims. Here's hoping the price holds while I get it sorted out.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #29569
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
the problem with that is two fold

1) if predictions=facts we would all be traveling to other planets for a weekend get away and riding our flying electric cars to the cinema while our robots would do all the chores

[Show spoiler]2) does tech get smaller and better? absolutely, the Atari VCS comes with 100+ games and it is puny compared to the original, but I bought a PS5 (even though it is bigger then any other console previously released) because it can do a lot more. my UHD BD can fit a lot more data then the first CD I bought. The problem is the other side of that coin, A step forward in the demand of the tech brings with it a step forward of what is expected from that tech.

That sounds terrible and useless. The nice thing about AR is that I would be able to sit anywhere and watch a film/ play a game of pool. If I need a game room for my pool table and I need to walk around that big empty space to play why wouldn't I just buy a real table? Right now people can choose to watch something on my 10' wide screen in the HT, on my8' wide screen in my BR, on my 75"TV in the family room..... but there are other people in the house and if we want to watch something different then not every option is available, with glasses the equivalent of that 10' screen can be in the HT, in the BR, in that FR.... with every seat being in the right position) that is the only advantage of glasses, now you want to get rid of it by forcing the perspective to be the same as if that physical object was there.

yes and no, New tech becomes cheaper but old tech becomes obsolete and gets replaced by new tech. what I mean, and since you keep on bringing up Apple, their first iPhone was 499 USD for the 4 GB version the cheapest iphone 12 has a lot more capabilities but it is also more expensive and if you wanted to get a cheap new iphone 1 it would be impossible.

It is not like a DVD player where the specs are written in stone and so you can get to antiquated commodity prices
Nope, we can'ts oughtna do dat; there's a pan-damn-demic going on.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #29570
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
So the subwoofers from Monoprice lowered in price and I tried pulling the trigger on them last night, but my payment was rejected from my CC provider For "unusual activity." I had just made that Vinegar Syndrome order I mentioned in an earlier post like 5 minutes prior, so I figured that's why they blocked it from going through. I started a ticket with them to sort it out, so as not to get blocked again.

The subs are at $99 each for the slims. Here's hoping the price holds while I get it sorted out.
That sucks!

I sure hope that you get your subs at the sale price.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #29571
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Like I mentioned above, very impressive depth while the crisp picture lends itself well to great separation. One of the better offerings of recent times.
Thanks, added to my order list.

Quote:
Watched 3D Nude Cuties tonight. Adam And Six Eves had very good depth and one wow moment of pop out.

Itís very tame with just exposed breasts. It was plenty fun.
At first I thought you were talking about Adam but I was wrong.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #29572
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Excited for catalog releases this year.

Current pre-orders:
Gattaca 4K
Memories of Murder (Criterion)
The World of Wong Kar-Wai (Criterion)
Django 4k (Arrow)

Will also pre-order The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Kino) once it goes live on Amazon

Hoping the Indiana Jones 4k collection rumor is real.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-18-2021), Ender14 (01-18-2021), Vilya (01-18-2021), Wendell R. Breland (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #29573
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina
Default Wings of the Hawk 3-D

For us 3-D fans, another restore, this time Wings of the Hawk 3-D, review here. The disc is Region A so for fans not in A without a region free player.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #29574
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
For us 3-D fans, another restore, this time Wings of the Hawk 3-D, review here. The disc is Region A so for fans not in A without a region free player.
My heart always sinks when I see Kino are involved. Normally means region locked.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #29575
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
My heart always sinks when I see Kino are involved. Normally means region locked.
Both Criterion and Kino have their own Streaming Channels, and you say Kino is region locked. There must be a reason, probably to control their Content and access. It looks like the Studios will have their own Streaming Channels!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #29576
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Both Criterion and Kino have their own Streaming Channels, and you say Kino is region locked. There must be a reason, probably to control their Content and access. It looks like the Studios will have their own Streaming Channels!
The studios do have their own channels, many have had them for years. A lot of them shut down due to lack of interest. Regardless, some still exist.

That has little to do with my comment though, why would I want to watch a 3D film with crappy streaming?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-18-2021), Vilya (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #29577
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post

Hoping the Indiana Jones 4k collection rumor is real.
I'd happily hand over my money for that.
Also, I'd love to see the Alien set in 4K - as far as I know, only the first one is currently available.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #29578
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Neither Criterion or Kino are studios; they only license content from studios. Studios often, but not always, insist upon region locking when they license out their movies to companies like Criterion and Kino. The studios decide who can distribute their movies and where.

Wings Of The Hawk was filmed at Universal Studios and is listed as a Universal International Pictures Production. This "western" is considered a Danish movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046552/
Old 01-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #29579
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I and others are fortunate to have an Oppo with a region free kit attached/installed. I forgot to mention this to gotmule when he said he may sell is Oppo.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #29580
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
I and others are fortunate to have an Oppo with a region free kit attached/installed. I forgot to mention this to gotmule when he said he may sell is Oppo.
The Panasonic 4K disc players have a button pressing trick on the remote that sometimes, but not always, allows discs from other regions to be played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
There are two main 'hacks'. One is where you program a oneforall-type remote with a specific set of codes and it unlocks region-free DVD playback (though a US-based machine may still not play PAL discs despite the region code).

The other is the 'stop - top menu' trick with Blu-ray whereby you press 'stop' when the 'this disc will not play in your region' screen comes up and then press 'top menu' or one of the numbered buttons on the remote which boots the disc to the menu or main title and bypasses the region lock. This is not a 100% foolproof method as there will be some discs that don't respond to this workaround, however you won't know which ones until you or someone else has tried them.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-18-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (01-19-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology