Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (Blu-ray)
$27.99
17 hrs ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
1 day ago
Dawn of the Dead / Land of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
1 day ago
Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
$89.45
5 hrs ago
The Exorcist (Blu-ray)
$6.99
4 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Girl from Rio 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
14 hrs ago
Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
1 day ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$6.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #20841
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
And will Netflix refund the difference to those subscribed to the HD/UHD plans?
Sure they will.

Only if their customers raise hell and maybe not even then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #20842
SillyG SillyG is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia
28
184
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sure they will.

Only if their customers raise hell and maybe not even then.
I'm not expecting them to, but it's really scummy if they're going to continue charging extra to those subscribed to the premium plans (not everybody is subscribed to the more expensive plans for the higher screen allowance).

What are they even doing in this biz if they aren't willing to cough up the goods to accommodate the spike in traffic?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:15 AM   #20843
cheez avenger cheez avenger is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
425
1102
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
No you aren't. You are just making assumptions. I'm not even sure you understand how a disc is made and then how it gets to a retailer.
Ok, then enlighten me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:19 AM   #20844
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Ok, then enlighten me.
Elves, living in majestic tress, bake them from scratch.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #20845
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Ok, then enlighten me.
You liked Vilya's explanation so ask him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #20846
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
268
1736
1532
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLee View Post
It seems odd to have 173 4K titles, and 4,000 DVD's, when there must be 800 - 1000 4K titles (if not more) available to buy. Not for a 'normie' but for someone who is a home theater enthusiast
DVD as a format has been around for over 20 years. 4K BD discs have only been around for about 4 years. It's not at all hard to see why someone would, over time, have emassed so many more DVDs than 4K discs. It's not like those 4,000 DVDs were all purchased over the last 4 years.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-20-2020), Vilya (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #20847
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Do you guys think this pandemic will make digital the savior of entertainment? I'm already reading about large USA theater chains scared shitless that they don't have money, because they operate on fixed costs. Also, if no one can report to work, that means that no one will go to work at the duplication plants to press physical media.

I'm just spitballing, but wanted to gauge the room.
No I don’t. Half the digital streaming services are already buckling under the strain and the kids haven’t even finished school yet. Many people are reporting issues with Netflix (just getting a spinning icon when trying to watch shows), it’s hardly a good image is it? It’s going to be discs that can be trusted to work with no external complications. I already know a boat load of people who have gone back to their trusty DVDs for entertainment. I am talking about folk that don’t care about Blu-ray and have been streaming. Not saying they won’t go back to streaming when things calm down but it speaks volumes.
For a great many people digital has let them down in their hour of need.

Also, if this drags on for the rest of the year, do t you think productions are going to be closed or put back? Streaming or not, we are going to see a lack of new productions. We have already seen it with Netflix. People complain there is not enough new stuff now, imagine three months time.

Last edited by Steedeel; 03-20-2020 at 09:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #20848
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
And will Netflix refund the difference to those subscribed to the HD/UHD plans?
Thatís what I was asking. Surely they have to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #20849
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The ball is in my court for sure. I only really care about my football team and it will be at least a year at this rate before we are even in the championship. I could cancel for a year at least.
I could just tell them I’m getting Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ for less than £25. They either accept my £35per month or I cancel. I currently pay £60.
Once I cancelled my movie subscription, they told me that I could continue with the movies for half price for 18 months as I wanted to keep the sports package. I told them "thanks, but NO thanks", as I didn't want to commit myself to another contract, and I never watched the movies in any case, preferring instead to watch my blu-rays.

The thing that annoyed me was that I'd been with Sky for over 20 years, and not once have they ever offered me any special deals. But as soon as I cancel, they can offer discounts all of a sudden.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #20850
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
There is no vaccine for CV-19!
Imagine having a virus named after me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Caladriusse (03-20-2020), The_Donster (03-20-2020), Vilya (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #20851
cheez avenger cheez avenger is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
425
1102
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
No I donít. Half the digital streaming services are already buckling under the strain and the kids havenít even finished school yet. Many people are reporting issues with Netflix (just getting a spinning icon when trying to watch shows), itís hardly a good image is it? Itís going to be discs that can be trusted to work with no external complications. I already know a boat load of people who have gone back to their trusty DVDs for entertainment. I am talking about folk that donít care about Blu-ray and have been streaming. Not saying they wonít go back to streaming when things calm down but it speaks volumes.
For a great many people digital has let them down in their hour of need.

Also, if this drags on for the rest of the year, do t you think productions are going to be closed or put back? Streaming or not, we are going to see a lack of new productions. We have already seen it with Netflix. People complain there is not enough new stuff now, imagine three months time.

Well, when the physical media supply chain closes down -- folks will only have their existing collection to keep them company. You're right - future productions of any kind will be/are halted. What digital media remains, will most likely get downgraded to standard video.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (03-20-2020), Steedeel (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #20852
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Imagine having a virus named after me.
You watch, someone somewhere on these forums will accuse you of making light of the pandemic for having such a screen name.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #20853
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Well, when the physical media supply chain closes down -- folks will only have their existing collection to keep them company. You're right - future productions of any kind will be/are halted. What digital media remains, will most likely get downgraded to standard video.
Well, my existing collection will keep me entertained for quite a long time no matter how well, or how badly, the internet and digital providers perform as this pandemic drags on. I am just glad that digital distribution is at most optional for my viewings and not essential.

The importance of how entertained I am during all of this is rather trivial considering the very serious problems that many people are now facing. Aside from the threat of the pandemic itself, the impact on the economy is going to be felt far and wide. Even if I skate by unscathed, it is very probable that someone I know will be adversely affected. This concerns me far more than what my streaming quality becomes or the fact that my discs play as great as ever; none of that seems all that important now.

Even so, there is light at the end of this tunnel. The worst of times do not last forever and we will get back to normal with hopefully a new found appreciation for many of the things that we took for granted.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (03-20-2020), dublinbluray108 (03-20-2020), Wendell R. Breland (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #20854
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Disney Making ‘Onward’ Available Early for Digital Sale and on Disney+

Quote:
The Walt Disney Studios announced it is making the Pixar animated film Onward available to buy digitally today (March 20) at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET., and will bring the film to Disney+ April 3 in the United States.

The film, about a pair of teenage elf brothers (voiced by Tom Holland and Chris Pratt) in a modern fairy tale world who embark on a mystical quest to spend another day with their late father, premiered in theaters March 6 and earned $61.5 million domestically and $103.1 million worldwide before the global coronavirus pandemic led to massive closures of movie theaters.
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/disney...rly-digitally/
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #20855
cheez avenger cheez avenger is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
425
1102
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Well, my existing collection will keep me entertained for quite a long time no matter how well, or how badly, the internet and digital providers perform as this pandemic drags on. I am just glad that digital distribution is at most optional for my viewings and not essential.

The importance of how entertained I am during all of this is rather trivial considering the very serious problems that many people are now facing. Aside from the threat of the pandemic itself, the impact on the economy is going to be felt far and wide. Even if I skate by unscathed, it is very probable that someone I know will be adversely affected. This concerns me far more than what my streaming quality becomes or the fact that my discs play as great as ever; none of that seems all that important now.

Even so, there is light at the end of this tunnel. The worst of times do not last forever and we will get back to normal with hopefully a new found appreciation for many of the things that we took for granted.

Agreed. My thing was that folks are still hopeful that their new physical media releases will still street on the appropriate date. I'm saying that is probably not going to happen Then again, I don't know anything about how media supply chains work. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna eat some cookies now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #20856
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Disney Making ĎOnwardí Available Early for Digital Sale and on Disney+

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/disney...rly-digitally/


The digital release of Onward has been announced and discussed in at least three threads already including both of the Onward threads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #20857
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Agreed. My thing was that folks are still hopeful that their new physical media releases will still street on the appropriate date. I'm saying that is probably not going to happen Then again, I don't know anything about how media supply chains work. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna eat some cookies now.
A number of retailers, both stores and online, have said that they are prioritizing receiving shipments of essential items, getting them into stock, and making them available to the public as fast as possible. Other items will have to wait.

As much as disc enthusiasts like myself might like to think of discs as an essential item, they really aren't (sacrilege!, I know), and retailers are far more concerned with supplying people with what they truly need right now.

One content licensee, Network, sent me an email today saying that while their disc productions are on schedule, distribution will likely be delayed due to these higher priorities.

Last edited by Vilya; 03-20-2020 at 05:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #20858
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Once I cancelled my movie subscription, they told me that I could continue with the movies for half price for 18 months as I wanted to keep the sports package. I told them "thanks, but NO thanks", as I didn't want to commit myself to another contract, and I never watched the movies in any case, preferring instead to watch my blu-rays.

The thing that annoyed me was that I'd been with Sky for over 20 years, and not once have they ever offered me any special deals. But as soon as I cancel, they can offer discounts all of a sudden.
I have learned from experience you just have to be pushy with them mate. Itís like a game of chess. If they donít give you what you want just threaten to cancel altogether and cancellations department will offer you the best deal rather than lose a good customer.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #20859
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
150
919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
A number of retailers, both stores and online, have said that they are prioritizing receiving shipments of essential items, getting them into stock, and making them available to the public as fast as possible. Other items will have to wait.

As much as disc enthusiasts like myself might like to think of discs as an essential item, they really aren't (sacrilege!, I know), and retailers are far more concerned with supplying people with what they truly need right now.

One content licensee, Network, sent me an email today saying that while their disc productions are on schedule, distribution will likely be delayed due to these higher priorities.
Itís not worth ordering anything at the minute, things are such a mess. Iím hoping I get my copy of 3D Rarities 2 at least.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #20860
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4878
3901
1322
3
15
Default

Hey Steedeel, you are being "paged" in the Netflix to throttle streaming speeds thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...82&postcount=9

You, too, alchav:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=15

Don't disappoint your fans now; get over there tout suite!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alchav21 (03-20-2020), Steedeel (03-20-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 PM.