Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
22 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Semi-Tough (Blu-ray)
$19.89
12 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 07-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #21

Feb 2008
fayetteville, nc

So glad to see this thread; it has my name all on it. I'm about to take the plunge and ditch my O818! I ordered this processor from BB and should be the owner of my first Marantz product (7702mkii) in about 5 days. I recently visited a new audiophile friend and listening to his awesome setup and that experience made me realize my system has been stagnant and stale much too long.

My first two questions:
1. I have front heights; can the these two speakers serve as an integral part of a 7.2.2 setup?
2. How inexpensive can my XLR cables be before they negatively impact the sound of system. I'm using MonoPrice XLR/RCA cables now and wondering if I should change brands or upgrade to XLR cables with male/female terminations.

I will update as soon as I install.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablu View Post
So glad to see this thread; it has my name all on it. I'm about to take the plunge and ditch my O818! I ordered this processor from BB and should be the owner of my first Marantz product (7702mkii) in about 5 days. I recently visited a new audiophile friend and listening to his awesome setup and that experience made me realize my system has been stagnant and stale much too long.

My first two questions:
1. I have front heights; can the these two speakers serve as an integral part of a 7.2.2 setup?
2. How inexpensive can my XLR cables be before they negatively impact the sound of system. I'm using MonoPrice XLR/RCA cables now and wondering if I should change brands or upgrade to XLR cables with male/female terminations.

1. yes, you can use the front height speakers you have for 7.2.2

2. if you don't have an amp that accepts XLR then use RCA/RCA for interconnects. you will lose db's by going from XLR/RCA. get rid of those converter cables they are not helping you at all.

congrats on going with the mkii, I believe it will serve you well. I am absolutely happy and still thrilled that I went with that pre-amp. I had never owned a Marantz before and I always thought they were too expensive. when I took the plunge and saw the build, saw the quality of the audio and the video, the ease of use, I knew it wasn't a question of money, it was a solution of greatness in product.

if you have any doubts about my resolve with the Marantz brand, I just purchased the NR1607 low profile receiver for my bedroom and I'm super happy with that too!

please post in here when you get your mkii and if you can, throw some pictures in here too. don't forget, if you do some pictures, try to get one of the current setup and then one with the mkii in place.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #23
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

Quote:

My first two questions:

Mogami Neglex Quad cables make excellent XLR interconnects when terminated with quality connectors like Neutrik. I have this cable in my system connecting my 7702 to my Wyred 4 Sound amps:

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/...crophone/quad/

You can find them very reasonably priced at Markertek.

http://www.markertek.com/product/msc...-10-foot-black

John
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:

My first two questions:

I just saw your amps in your sig, so, I'd like to expand on my initial response to item number two of your questions.

2. any well made XLR cables will do. spend a little, spend a lot, as long as they are well made and made properly you will be fine. I'd recommend using XLR's for the XPA-2 & 3 but for the 500, go with RCA/RCA don't go XLR/RCA
Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #25

Feb 2008
fayetteville, nc

Okay guys, I ordered MonoPrice XLRs just to get a decent comparison of the Onkyo 818 vs Marantz 7792 MKII. I will purchase better cables later, but I do appreciate the cable advice. BTW, I do have Emotiva interconnects for the UPA-500, so I'll keep that hookup for now. I'm ready...can't wait until this piece comes in. It's like Christmas in July!!!

BTW, I know, I know. No pics...it didn't happen.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Okay guys, I ordered MonoPrice XLRs just to get a decent comparison of the Onkyo 818 vs Marantz 7792 MKII. I will purchase better cables later, but I do appreciate the cable advice. BTW, I do have Emotiva interconnects for the UPA-500, so I'll keep that hookup for now. I'm ready...can't wait until this piece comes in. It's like Christmas in July!!!

as long as you know!
keep us posted buddy!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:22 AM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:

I had monoprice XLR interconnects for 6 years with my old Onkyo pre-amp. they were great and performed well. I went with monoprice, having never owned XLR cables, I didn't want t spend a lot and be stuck with something so, I went with them; I was happy with them. now, when I decided to step up my game and go with the Marantz pre-amp, I chose to step up my choice of interconnects. knowing that i was happy with XLR's and the way they made things sound and the way they performed I was now ready to treat myself to a "really nice" class of XLR cables that I felt for my first purchase before, i wasn't ready; but I am now. they are not for everyone, they are my choice and I went with Audioquest. for XLR's I went with their Red River and for RCA's I went with Evergreen.

I spent more on the XLR as they were going to be for the LCR channels, the most important channels to me, so, I gave them the better quality cables and the XLR advantages. all remaining 8 channels have RCA interconnects. I went with all new cables for my interconnects and new (bluejeanscable premium certified ) hdmi's cables too. I wanted everything cable wise going into and coming out of my 7702mkii to be new and so, that's what I did and I'm very, very happy with all of the performance from everything.

I was so impressed by their performance, when I recently purchased a Marantz NR 1607 a/v receiver for my bedroom, I also went with a pair of Evergreen RCA interconnects for my 2 channel external amp used in that system to power my front L & R. I also got all new hdmi cables from bluejeanscable.com; that's how happy I've been with both brands and their performance. again, I'm speaking only for me.

I'm not saying you need to get Audioquest either as long as your happy with the performance you get and trust me, you'll appreciate the db bump of the XLR for the fronts (really nice for my 2 channel music too) go with whatever brand you choose as long as they are well built and meet your needs.

having said that, I will also say don't be afraid or ashamed to buy cables that you are excited with (after doing plenty of research on of course) if you feel that they better meet your needs. it's your system, your money, it's there to make you (and yours and guests) happy, not anyone online. just make sure your happy and make your choice and purchase on your own terms.

keep us posted once you get things in place and do your comparison.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #28
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

To add to what solarrdadd said, don't dismiss the Mogami XLRs I mentioned because of the low price. These cables are used in recording studios all over the world, and are high quality OFC with excellent RF and EM shielding!
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (07-13-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #29

Oct 2008

The Marantz AV7702 MK II was well worth the upgrade back in December 2015. Even before calibrating the Marantz, it really showed how flat the Integra DTC 9.8 sounded. Moved the Integra and spare Harman Kardon AVR 7000 minus preamp jumpers as an amp to my PC editing room, hooked up to a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v.3. Now I want to get another Marantz AV7702 MKII for that system, or maybe get an AV 8802A for the surround system and move the existing AV7702 MKII. The Denon/Marantz regional rep claims no replacement is coming out this year at CEDIA, but no confirmation until September.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (07-14-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #30
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Do you guys know if Best Buy/Magnolia carry this model? I checked their website and it only shows the 8802A. If not, can someone please recommend an online dealer for this pre/pro?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #31
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Do you guys know if Best Buy/Magnolia carry this model? I checked their website and it only shows the 8802A. If not, can someone please recommend an online dealer for this pre/pro?
Yes they do. That's where I purchased mine from. Since I'm a rewards member there, I got a pant load of points for the purchase since I had a 3X points rewards coupon!

I also purchased the 1607 receiver from them for my bedroom. I purchased it directly through BB, not magnolia. They are an authorized dealer so your covered.

Hope this helps helps, best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #32
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Yes they do. That's where I purchased mine from. Since I'm a rewards member there, I got a pant load of points for the purchase since I had a 3X points rewards coupon!

I also purchased the 1607 receiver from them for my bedroom. I purchased it directly through BB, not magnolia. They are an authorized dealer so your covered.

Hope this helps helps, best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks! I got a couple of coupons, 11% back in rewards and another that's 10% off one item. I doubt if I could use both but it's worth a try. Either way there'll be some form of discount.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I wanted an 8802A pre-pro but it is way too expensive so thank you for a second route into the Marantz family.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #34

Nov 2010
Florida

Im currently making plans to upgrade my system. There are too many things at once that need upgraded... Anyway, Im looking at the 7702. What are the major differences between the 7702 and the 7702 mkii? I can find a NOS 7702 for just under $1,000. And a 7702 mkii seems to run around $2,000 up.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky54 View Post
Im currently making plans to upgrade my system. There are too many things at once that need upgraded... Anyway, Im looking at the 7702. What are the major differences between the 7702 and the 7702 mkii? I can find a NOS 7702 for just under $1,000. And a 7702 mkii seems to run around $2,000 up.
if your not interested in having DTS:X & AURO:3D support and a couple of other minor things, then go for the 7702. I waited so that I could have DTS:X support as it was important to me as I always planned to go 7.1.4 in my HT setup. the ability to have DTS:X & Neural:X was very important to me.

I have no regrets in that department. best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:22 AM   #36

Nov 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
if your not interested in having DTS:X & AURO:3D support and a couple of other minor things, then go for the 7702. I waited so that I could have DTS:X support as it was important to me as I always planned to go 7.1.4 in my HT setup. the ability to have DTS:X & Neural:X was very important to me.

I have no regrets in that department. best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to stay under that $1000 mark, but I think auro is pretty cool. Good things seem to always cost more.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:27 AM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky54 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to stay under that $1000 mark, but I think auro is pretty cool. Good things seem to always cost more.
keep in mind, that AURO:3D is not a free upgrade like ATMOS/DTS:X. you have to pay for it and I believe it's $199.00 so far I don't know of any major mainstream movies that have been released in the format. I understand it's big over in Europe.

don't get me wrong, if you have a budget, either stay with it and get the 7702 or save a bit more and go for the mkii. of course, the 7703 will be released in about another month, so....................

please keep us posted.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #38

Nov 2010
Florida

The more I research and think on the cost of all these upgrades, the more I m thinking Id be smart to just wait 6 months and see if costs go down or if more used 9.1 Atmos solutions pop up used.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #39

Feb 2008
Louisville, KY

Just a heads up that the 7702mkII is now being cleared out at many online retailers due to the announcement of the 7703. It's a great time to buy as these are being deeply discounted (nearly 50% off MSRP).
Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #40

Aug 2011

Any feedback on the 7703 yet?
Have one on the way and wondering if anyone has played with them yet.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems