Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39
7 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
16 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Oct 2010
Question Bags, Boards, and Boxes Recommended Brands and Stores

Im looking for recommendations on what brand of bags and boards to buy and where to get them. Is there an online store I could use as a one stop shop to get everything including boxes or do you buy storage from your local comic shop? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #2

Aug 2011

I prefer the ultra pro bags (the resealable are nice but seem be just slightly smaller than the unsealed variety which for some issues can be too snug a fit for my liking) and have no preference on boards. For boxes I use cardboard short boxes. Eventually I will be building (or at least retrofitting) furniture to house my single issues. All of these I buy at my LCS with bags being the only exception. Sometime the price on Amazon dips below what I pay for them at my shop, so I will pick up a bag or two at that point.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2009

It really depends on what ur storage goals are. If ur just looking for short term (a few years), then the regular plastic bags, boards and boxes available from ur local shop should be fine.

If, on the other hand, ur looking for long term (archival) storage options, or u simply want to do it right the 1st time , then I would highly recommend E Gerber. I buy ALL my storage supplies from them (with the exception of CGC stuff), and couldn't be happier. Great customer service, and best prices on mylars I've found anywhere.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by awongus View Post
It really depends on what ur storage goals are. If ur just looking for short term (a few years), then the regular plastic bags, boards and boxes available from ur local shop should be fine.

If, on the other hand, ur looking for long term (archival) storage options, or u simply want to do it right the 1st time , then I would highly recommend E Gerber. I buy ALL my storage supplies from them (with the exception of CGC stuff), and couldn't be happier. Great customer service, and best prices on mylars I've found anywhere.
I'm leaning toward E Gerber for the one and done option. Do you use their acid free boxes? Those are super expensive compared to the costs for just bags and boards. Even the E Gerber website says they're "not essential", but "desirable" if you're using their bags and boards.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blips View Post
I'm leaning toward E Gerber for the one and done option. Do you use their acid free boxes? Those are super expensive compared to the costs for just bags and boards. Even the E Gerber website says they're "not essential", but "desirable" if you're using their bags and boards.
I did buy a bunch of their acid free boxes initially, and was quite pleased with them. Then my house flooded and they got damaged, so I just went to my local shop and replaced em with the new plastic boxes. They're not cheap...but they're waterproof.

Honestly, I think the acid free boxes r probably overkill. With acid free boards in mylars, u should be good to go.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Are there protective sleeves available for the huge hardcovers, ala an omnibus or Absolute edition? I've never really seen them in anything except very thin plastic sleeves.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

Sep 2016
-
-
-
-

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I've never really been into collecting American comics but the MCU franchise got me into subscribing to print versions of certain titles - Black Widow, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) and Mockingbird. For most of my comic reading, I'm quite content with Marvel Unlimited and Comixology.

I want to keep these comics in pristine condition. Is it safe to use Mylites 2/4 with just toploaders and no backing boards? I kinda want to be able to see both the front and back comic covers. I was thinking of using toploaders to add rigidity instead of backing boards but if toploaders are too flimsy, then I'm fine going the Mylites+backing board route.

I realize I'm likely spending more on storage supplies than what the comics are worth but this is meant to appease my OCD rather than an attempt to maintain value for reselling purposes.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #8

Jun 2012
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I've never really been into collecting American comics but the MCU franchise got me into subscribing to print versions of certain titles - Black Widow, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) and Mockingbird. For most of my comic reading, I'm quite content with Marvel Unlimited and Comixology.

I want to keep these comics in pristine condition. Is it safe to use Mylites 2/4 with just toploaders and no backing boards? I kinda want to be able to see both the front and back comic covers. I was thinking of using toploaders to add rigidity instead of backing boards but if toploaders are too flimsy, then I'm fine going the Mylites+backing board route.

I realize I'm likely spending more on storage supplies than what the comics are worth but this is meant to appease my OCD rather than an attempt to maintain value for reselling purposes.

Thanks!
I'd assume you'd be fine if you get the thicker top loaders, although those get expensive fast if your collection starts to grow. I have always used bags and boards, just so that there is less a chance of me accidentally bending any of the comics. Last time I picked up a set of 100 bags/boards I believe it was about $17-$18, so not too bad as far as cost.

Also, a long box might not be a bad idea either.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:43 AM   #9

Sep 2016
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
I'd assume you'd be fine if you get the thicker top loaders, although those get expensive fast if your collection starts to grow. I have always used bags and boards, just so that there is less a chance of me accidentally bending any of the comics. Last time I picked up a set of 100 bags/boards I believe it was about $17-$18, so not too bad as far as cost.

Also, a long box might not be a bad idea either.
Thanks! Doubt the collection growing too big will be an issue. As I mentioned, I'm quite content with using Comixology/Marvel Unlimited for majority of my comic fix. Alas, I've just spent money I was planning on using to buy an iPad Pro 12.9 on a whole bunch of Blu-ray anime collector's edition sets so I'll have to be content reading on my current iPad's 9.7" display.

So far, only ones I plan to collect as individual issues are the ff so really quite small:
  • Black Widow Vol 4 (2010) - 8 issues (complete)
  • Black Widow Vol 5 (2014) - 20 issues (complete)
  • Black Widow Vol 6 (2016) - 6 issues (ongoing)
  • Hawkeye (2016) - not yet released
  • Mockingbird (2016) - 7 issues (ongoing)

Last edited by rui no onna; 09-30-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics