Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #21
Power Member

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

You guys are about 10 years too late to the physical media distribution party. That party is over. Have you ever showed up at a party at 4am? Well, that's about where the physical media world is right about now. Sure, there is still a market for it... yet it's shrinking... and fast. Everyone has either gone home, passed out in the yard, or left to find fun elsewhere. Those still hanging around aren't worth talking too. Instead, look into starting a streaming video business for exploitation movies. I don't think anyone has figured out how to succeed with that genre yet in the streaming world.
Thanks given by:
Todd Tomorrow (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The OP was asking about becoming an investor in an existing company. They also didnít indicate that they themselves were rolling in money.
They were asking to become an investor? No, they weren't, but it seemed like a logical suggestion seeing as they wanted to enter the business. Another logical conclusion is that they had some sort capital as they are wanting to enter a business that isn't knowing for being cheap.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #23

Jul 2019
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Itís a little naive to think itís a business you can just jump into. If you have to ask a question like this on a home entertainment forum, you are a far way from your goal.

People who start their own labels usually have worked for another label or in a related business for a long time. There are so many aspects you have to know about, from the business side, to the technical side to costumer care, to marketing to what staff to hire and much more. That is something you have to learn over years. It takes more than the desire to release your favourite flicks on disc.
Have to agree. It's a bit strange to ask this here.

Got a reply from the OP, he said he spoke with Bill Lustig over the phone and Lustig gave him the advice to visit Film markets and meet sales agents.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #24

May 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolik008 View Post
Have to agree. It's a bit strange to ask this here.

Got a reply from the OP, he said he spoke with Bill Lustig over the phone and Lustig gave him the advice to visit Film markets and meet sales agents.
You never know who's on this forum though. It certainly doesn't hurt to toss a post into the ether and see what shakes out. Talking to Steve from Thunderbean couldn't hurt either. He does a fine operation on a relative shoestring budget.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #25

Jul 2018

You have to watch that the person who claims they own the rights to the movie actually does own the rights. Many older distributors claim to own all rights when the only bought theatrical rights or their rights expired years ago. There's also a myth that all these releases from major companies are licensed. A number of them are public domain so a good copyright search is essential, and you may even be able to release a number of titles without searching for a rights owner.

Also, do you have the prints or the negative? Even if the rights owner are legitimate chances are good that they no longer have them.

Last edited by kanderson; 09-11-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #26

Jul 2016

Let me add some things to my original post. Clearly streaming is the way to go for the entertainment industry at large but to create a company like Shudder you have to have millions of dollars to acquire the rights to hundreds of films plus have full time staff running the website. My interest in starting a blu-ray label is not a career move it's just a hobby. As a pet project I thought it would be fun to release some old films that have so far only been put on DVD or maybe only VHS. Spending my own money this is what I figured:

1) A film that has generated no revenue for the owners other than with its original theatrical run back in the '70s could be leased for cheap, maybe $500 up front and a percentage of the profits from the blu-ray

2) With permission from the owners, the negatives/interpositives if they exist would be sent to a lab and scanned. Fotokem in Burbank quoted me the cost to scan a 100 minute film at 2k resolution and put it on a hard drive would be $1,600.

3)DiscMakers.com says to manufacture 1000 copies of the Blu-ray would cost $3,000.

So to me that says a bare bones bluray of a forgotten film with a basic scan would cost $5k to release. The cost of color correction, audio correction and supplemental features could be a few more thousand so my rough estimate to do a Vinegar Syndrome type release is maybe $10k. So you sell 1000 copies at $10 a piece to break even or sell more copies/raise the price to generate a profit. That's what's in my head right now.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #27
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectblu69 View Post
Let me add some things to my original post. Clearly streaming is the way to go for the entertainment industry at large but to create a company like Shudder you have to have millions of dollars to acquire the rights to hundreds of films plus have full time staff running the website. My interest in starting a blu-ray label is not a career move it's just a hobby. As a pet project I thought it would be fun to release some old films that have so far only been put on DVD or maybe only VHS. Spending my own money this is what I figured:

1) A film that has generated no revenue for the owners other than with its original theatrical run back in the '70s could be leased for cheap, maybe $500 up front and a percentage of the profits from the blu-ray

2) With permission from the owners, the negatives/interpositives if they exist would be sent to a lab and scanned. Fotokem in Burbank quoted me the cost to scan a 100 minute film at 2k resolution and put it on a hard drive would be $1,600.

3)DiscMakers.com says to manufacture 1000 copies of the Blu-ray would cost $3,000.

So to me that says a bare bones bluray of a forgotten film with a basic scan would cost $5k to release. The cost of color correction, audio correction and supplemental features could be a few more thousand so my rough estimate to do a Vinegar Syndrome type release is maybe $10k. So you sell 1000 copies at $10 a piece to break even or sell more copies/raise the price to generate a profit. That's what's in my head right now.
I dig the effort you are willing to make in this endeavor , best of luck !
Old 09-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #28

Jul 2019
Europe

Quote:

That could be right in some cases.

Since your initial post mentioned Spaghetti Westerns I presumed you had an interest in Euro genres films also.

The cost for these rights are much higher. And the film needs to be scanned in labs in Italy or Spain.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #29

Jul 2016

What do you do Diabolek? Are you affiliated with the industry?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #30

Jul 2019
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectblu69 View Post
what do you do diabolek? Are you affiliated with the industry?
pm.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #31

Dec 2015

Quote:

As someone who has films that I made released by various companies, chances are, if you are a new label, they will ask for more money upfront as many distributors throughout cinema history have been known to rip off filmmakers for royalties. I never made a penny on the first release of my film on VHS, so unless I know someone has a good reputation, I will ask for more money up front. The last new deal I signed I asked for a $3,000. advance, in case I was going to get ripped off. My distributor is good, so I renewed with him for only something like $500. advance for a few more years. AIP was ripping off Roger Corman for years, and he knew it, but it took him a while to get away from them. Interestingly, I was offered 50% of the profits before signing the deal with my current distributor. Nobody gives that high a percentage, so I figured it may be a ripoff and asked for the $3,000. at a much lower percentage. I would have made much more money if I took the first offer.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #32

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyls View Post
You guys are about 10 years too late to the physical media distribution party. That party is over. Have you ever showed up at a party at 4am? Well, that's about where the physical media world is right about now. Sure, there is still a market for it... yet it's shrinking... and fast. Everyone has either gone home, passed out in the yard, or left to find fun elsewhere. Those still hanging around aren't worth talking too. Instead, look into starting a streaming video business for exploitation movies. I don't think anyone has figured out how to succeed with that genre yet in the streaming world.
I don't think this is necessarily true. For mainstream films - yes. Absolutely. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

But for niche and boutique labels the business seems to be going pretty well.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #33

Jul 2019
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
I don't think this is necessarily true. For mainstream films - yes. Absolutely. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

But for niche and boutique labels the business seems to be going pretty well.
BEAST AND MAGIC SWORD and DANGEROUS CARGO selling out in a weekend.

LA ROSE ECORCHEE (BLOOD ROSE) from Chat Qui Fume sold 1500 units.

Business is indeed going well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors