Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03
12 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I'd like Troma to release THE LOVE THRILL MURDERS, which has only been released on VHS.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Troma's War on Blu-ray this June (featuring a new interview with Michael Herz!!)!!:
https://www.facebook.com/troma.enter...type=1&theater
Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

any updates on this?
Should i buy the UK Blu-ray of Toxie 3 or get the US release coming up?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkbradd View Post
any updates on this?
Toxie III on US Blu May 12th:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../dvdaficionado

Also from Trom'as Facebook:
"Blu-Ray UPDATE: "Toxie II" and "Class of Nuke Em High 2" are FINALLY in-stock at https://www.tromashop.com/! Amazon pre-orders will ship this week, apologies for the delay!"
Thanks given by:
santasangria (04-20-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Toxie III on US Blu May 12th:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../dvdaficionado

"Blu-Ray UPDATE: "Toxie II" and "Class of Nuke Em High 2" are FINALLY in-stock at https://www.tromashop.com/! Amazon pre-orders will ship this week, apologies for the delay!"

right which toxie release is better the uk or us
Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
right which toxie release is better the uk or us
Depends what you define as "better."

Troma tends to transfer their masters warts and all. Part of the low budget charm, so to say.

88 Films does quite a bit of digital cleanup work to attempt to reduce the visible damage in the print.

So depends what look you like better.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 AM   #47
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
any updates on this?
Depends whether you already have the uncut DVD. Looks like Troma's dual format release throws in the uncut DVD with the cut BD. I am assuming this from that they list the DVD as having the commentaries, but the BD does not. The commentary on the cut UK BD went wildly out of sync because of the cuts early in the film....they would be talking about some extra on screen now being famous when there were no extras on screen. So I suppose it's good Troma just dropped the commentary from the BD and gave us the DVD instead.
The UK releases tend to have the benefit of lossless audio.
Thanks given by:
themoviefanatic (04-21-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #48
Banned

Sep 2010

Troma's War and Extreme Jukebox are up for pre-order on Amazon, June 9th release date.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #49

Jan 2012
Philadelphia, PA

Very happy to see Toma on BR. Not biting until "Killer Nerd" is released. (Not holding my breath).
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #50
Power Member

Sep 2009
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Depends what you define as "better."

Troma tends to transfer their masters warts and all. Part of the low budget charm, so to say.

88 Films does quite a bit of digital cleanup work to attempt to reduce the visible damage in the print.

So depends what look you like better.
I wonder if the cleanup came at the cost of loss of grain/detail? I know Scream Factory did the same to Halloween II and lost a bit of detail in the process compared to the Universal BD.

Really wish Capsaholic would put up some screens of the 88 Blu to compare to the Troma.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 AM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
They should be apologizing for releasing a 720p (or 480i) Blu-ray-in-name-only of Toxie II, not for delayed shipping.

But such is the aroma of Troma.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #52
Special Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
They should be apologizing for releasing a 720p (or 480i) Blu-ray-in-name-only of Toxie II, not for delayed shipping.

what? The Blu-Ray release from Troma is 720p? I'm glad I've got the UK release now for sure.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post

I'm probably in denial, but I'm sure by this week, Troma's gonna fix the problem (it's not like Rabid Grannies, this CAN be fixed).
Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
I'm probably in denial, but I'm sure by this week, Troma's gonna fix the problem (it's not like Rabid Grannies, this CAN be fixed).
Rabid Grannies was 100% false advertising on their part & with this new debacle, I would never order any disc from them before seeing reviews. You have more faith than I, my friend; the chances of Troma trashing these discs and pressing new ones with an actual HD transfer are slim to none.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
I wonder if the cleanup came at the cost of loss of grain/detail? I know Scream Factory did the same to Halloween II and lost a bit of detail in the process compared to the Universal BD.

Really wish Capsaholic would put up some screens of the 88 Blu to compare to the Troma.
FWIW, I did a back-and-forth between the US and UK releases of Toxie 1 (different inputs, same TV settings) and several frames looked pretty much identical. For the numerous scenes that had extensive cleanup done on the 88 disc, I didn't notice any loss of grain detail and the 88 disc just looked better paused and especially in motion.

From my experience, 88 discs are encoded really well, and I own a good amount of them so far. I'm doubting, for instance, that there's much of a difference between the VinSyn and 88 encodes for Graduation Day.
Thanks given by:
cyborgLIS (05-01-2016), travisbickle (04-28-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

There is a comparison of several screenshots from Troma and the 88 films release, but I dunno if these are even representative because of the small size of the JPEGs. And furthermore it does not state if the Troma screenshots are from the Blu-ray or the master. The screenshots make the 88 films release look worse than Troma, especially in screenshot three in which the tiles become a blurry mess.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...0460/picture:0
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
There is a comparison of several screenshots from Troma and the 88 films release, but I dunno if these are even representative because of the small size of the JPEGs. And furthermore it does not state if the Troma screenshots are from the Blu-ray or the master. The screenshots make the 88 films release look worse than Troma, especially in screenshot three in which the tiles become a blurry mess.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...0460/picture:0
It shows at the top that it's from the Original master, not the actual Troma Blu-ray encode.

There are also some big differences in some of the JPG file sizes between the two, so I don't know if this is a very fair comparison. The 2nd screenshot is 526.5KB vs. 222.2KB for instance. PNG comparisons would have been more ideal.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

There's JPEG compression artifacts up the wazoo on those 88 BD screencaps.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

On their Full Moon releases where they did some cleanup like Castle Freak I would say about 5% detail lost. Nothing major, but a little bit.

It really boils down to what look you prefer.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #60
Power Member

Nov 2007
Saginaw, Michigan
Default From 88 Films Mother's Day thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
Review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...ay_blu-ray.htm

To my eyes they are pretty close at first glance, but the Starz / Anchor Bay release appears to have better compression and sharper grain despite the higher bitrate provided by 88 Films. Much like Shout!Factory, there has been some talk about 88's compression not being that worlds greatest.. and of course I found this out after my imports shipped. I bought 88's for the lossless audio, extras, higher bitrate (figured it had to be a better encode right? err) and the cool red case.

It would be nice if someone could post uncompressed images of both releases over at Caps-a-holic to be sure there is no room for error

I found one identical screen cap and a close second [DVDBeaver top / Blu-ray.com bottom]

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...3_blu-ray_.jpg
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/scree...59&position=28

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...2_blu-ray_.jpg
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/scree...359&position=2
I'm hoping someone can compare 88 Films vs Anchor Bay's Mother's Day. I'm not sure if I can trust DVDbeavers screen grabs due to their rep when it comes to accurate captures.

Any thoughts?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors