Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
23 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
23 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #21
Power Member

Jun 2013

FYI, this expires on Netflix on January 1. So if you got a Netflix subscription and want to watch it in HD, watch it before then.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Shermer, IL
-
-
-

The dvd is only full screen too.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011

ridiculous that this hasn't been released. It's not an obscure film. ABC Family and VH1 air this like once a month.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Savannah GA

Great flick. I'd buy it for the right price
Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 AM   #25

Feb 2010
Overland Park Kansas

I liked this movie.. even though it had that Rico Suave idiot in it.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #26

May 2011
USA

A little long:

I'm wondering if the cost of re-licensing the title song by the Beatles is the hold up? When they made this movie, it had to cost a lot to license "Can't Buy Me Love". They didn't use a cover version sung by someone else, which still costs, just not nearly as much. They used the real song. All songs by the Beatles cost a small fortune to license.

When studios make any movie or TV show, music has to be licensed for theatrical, television, and home video use separately and the license isn't typically granted in perpetuity(forever).

Any of you that buy TV shows on DVD are familiar with how many shows are butchered on DVD due to the fact that the studios aren't usually willing to lay out the millions it can cost to re-license all the music used because it's hard, if not impossible, to make your money back. This results in replacement music, dead air, missing scenes, and some shows never getting a release. It's happened with home video releases of films as well. That's what took shows like The Wonder Years and WKRP so long to come out, and they're still not 100% complete with respect to all the music. Time(Star Vista) and Shout! have taken huge financial risks putting out those two shows.

The fullscreen DVD of this movie came out over 12 years ago. It had the song but that was long ago. The home video license for the song has likely long since expired. Since the early 2000's, music licensing costs have exploded thanks to the success of DVD. Showings on Netflix, other online sites and TV wouldn't be covered under home video licensing. That's why you often find TV shows and movies with the music intact on TV and online but gone when you buy the DVD.

On the show Mad Men, they used a Beatles song called "Tomorrow Never Knows". This song is not nearly as popular as "Can't Buy Me Love" and it still cost $250,000 for it to play at the end of one episode.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-song-20120508

Since this is the title song of the movie, and Disney could never substitute or delete that song in a release and still hope for it to sell, maybe they've been afraid to lay out the cash to license the song again? Add all the other costs in pressing, marketing and distributing a Blu-ray, then add on the cost of that song. At an average of $10-15 per disc in sales, they'd have to sell a lot of copies just to recoup the cost and make no profit. I'd say roughly 30,000 copies or more and that's just not going to happen.

Just my theory.

Last edited by Breather; 02-06-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Thanks given by:
Malv1 (02-06-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #27

Jun 2015

Bump for a great movie. Hope this gets released eventually along with another great Dempsey teen flick, Loverboy, also starring that whackjob Scientologist Kirset Alley.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #28
Power Member

Jun 2013

RIP Amanda Peterson
http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/06/amanda...ar-dies-at-43/
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #29
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
Starship Avalon (You're My Shooting Star, You Make My Heart Ascend)

That's really sad there.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #30

Jun 2010
Minnesota

RIP Cindy Mancini!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 AM   #31
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula72 View Post
That HD transfer, looks much better. Now, lets hope we see an announcement for a scheduled release sometime this year.
I don't get why they refuse to release this! They have the expensive stuff done, the remastering, etc. I mean there are blu-rays that get released that nobody has ever heard of and then the studios refuse to release stuff like this, even when they are already re-mastered! Another crazy one is Pretty In Pink. How can be be like a decade into blu-ray and all these never heard of bit films getting released and major, iconic hits like that not have a release yet?

I've tried requesting this for years, but always silence.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #32
Power Member

Feb 2012

But the real news is .
So young.
Hard to believe.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #33
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Classic 80s movie.

Haven't seen it in many years.

...may try to track down a copy.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
I don't get why they refuse to release this! They have the expensive stuff done, the remastering, etc. I mean there are blu-rays that get released that nobody has ever heard of and then the studios refuse to release stuff like this, even when they are already re-mastered! Another crazy one is Pretty In Pink. How can be be like a decade into blu-ray and all these never heard of bit films getting released and major, iconic hits like that not have a release yet?

I've tried requesting this for years, but always silence.
Probably the same reason you can find a bunch of titles on Netfliz/Amazon Instant in HD that also aren't on disc. The packaging (case/art/sleeve)was always the largest cost of CD and DVD replication, in addition to the shipping/overstock, etc. That's why there is a push toward streaming and downloads.

One of my good friends dated her in high school. She was a little weird back then, but sad to see her pass so young.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
But the real news is .
So young.
Hard to believe.
We all take life for granted, but this is just to show you how short life can be. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us, which is why I thank God every morning when I wake up for blessing me to live and see another day, because a lot of people don't.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 AM   #36
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post

One of my good friends dated her in high school. She was a little weird back then, but sad to see her pass so young.
Wow.

Weird and quirky can be good though. She sounded intelligent in her interviews and kind of precociously beyond her years in some ways and not like some boring, plain, bubble head.

Sadly, it sound like she might have gotten a condition later on that maybe made it easier for her to get a little trapped, at least at times, into something bad.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 AM   #37
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Probably the same reason you can find a bunch of titles on Netfliz/Amazon Instant in HD that also aren't on disc. The packaging (case/art/sleeve)was always the largest cost of CD and DVD replication, in addition to the shipping/overstock, etc. That's why there is a push toward streaming and downloads.
I guess and yet you see titles release and not lose money, that literally nobody I know as ever heard of. I mean I've seen some really, realllllly obscure stuff coming out on Blu-ray the last few years.

And yet they can't release a "Can't Buy Me Love"? And I mean they haven't even released the final Hughes film "Pretty In Pink" yet, it's really kind of insane.

But they still release the stuff on DVDs. How much more does a DVD pakcage cost than a Blu-ray?

It's nuts.

THey just want to whine about how piracy, but don't bother to give people serious options.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #38
Power Member

Jun 2013

Quote:

And yet they can't release a "Can't Buy Me Love"? And I mean they haven't even released the final Hughes film "Pretty In Pink" yet, it's really kind of insane.
I don't know what the deal is with the Paramount John Hughes movies. Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful should already have been released. In the case of Pretty in Pink, some theaters have shown the 4K DCP so the remastering is already done for it. Like Can't Buy Me Love, they should just slap it on a blu-ray with a trailer and sell it.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Just recently re-watched CBML on the sub-par pan & scan DVD. Great film, but lousy transfer. Can't believe this hasn't been released in at least an Anamorphic Widescreen transfer, consider how popular the movie is (or at least was). This definitely needs to be put on Blu, sooner rather than later - that HD clip posted in the previous page looked fantastic!

This came out when I was in high school & though I didn't see for the first time until years later, it definitely reminded me a lot of that era. And, though the movie was overall a light-hearted comedy, I felt the overall message of being true to yourself & staying loyal to your friends was a good theme.
[Show spoiler]Obviously, the PD character was trying hard to be something he wasn't & after he achieved his goal he felt better for a while, but as a result he ended up betraying his friends & himself. When it all back-fired (which was inevitable), he ended up being worse off than before. Sure, it had a happy ending, but there were still consequences for his actions...

And, this last viewing obviously had an element of sadness to it, due to Amanda Peterson's recent passing....

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breather View Post
I'm wondering if the cost of re-licensing the title song by the Beatles is the hold up? When they made this movie, it had to cost a lot to license "Can't Buy Me Love". They didn't use a cover version sung by someone else, which still costs, just not nearly as much. They used the real song. All songs by the Beatles cost a small fortune to license.
This may very well be the reason the film has only gotten a bare-bones, pan & scan DVD release 13 years ago. I'm sure you're right re: the licensing costs of that Beatles song (which plays at least twice?! in the film, IIRC).

Also, it's worth noting that Billy Idol's iconic '80's song Dancing with Myself featured fairly prominently in the film as well - during the New Year's Eve party. I'm thinking this may be a licensing issue also.

It's a shame that these licensing costs for music affect music/TV show releases. I remember when the great '80's Vietnam drama Tour of Duty came out in DVD back in the 200X's, they had replaced much of the original 60's rock/pop music due to these licensing issues. As a result, I refused to get the sets (which I would have gotten if the original music had still been on there).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-21-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #40
Power Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
FYI, this expires on Netflix on January 1. So if you got a Netflix subscription and want to watch it in HD, watch it before then.
It's back on Netflix.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists