Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
8 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 hr ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$49.49
1 hr ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
6 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #1

Jun 2010
Not of This Earth
Default Any Valiant fans?

Curious how the rebooted stuff sizes up with the original era???
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #2

Apr 2009

I am liking the new stories. But I liked the original stories better.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Back when the original Jim Shooter Valiant books were first released I was working in the comic book industry for the main distributor and I loved those books, but the various reboots were pretty bad. Sadly the Dark Horse Solar series wasn't as good as before and sales were pretty low. I am not reading the new titles but I have heard from a number of people in the industry that they are all very good, with X-O being one of the best people have told me.

I need to sell some of my original sets, they have no use for me anymore, may see if I can do that here on this site.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The '90s Valiants were some of the most exciting comics to come along since Marvel in the '60s. A shame the implosion of the market affected that development.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
The '90s Valiants were some of the most exciting comics to come along since Marvel in the '60s. A shame the implosion of the market affected that development.
So true, they were great books, and most stores under-ordered on them before Unity began. For collectors the latter issues of the series that continued through Acclaim such as X-O can be very difficult to find due to very low print runs, but the early days of Valiant were terrific books, I really should give the new ones a try.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Jun 2010
Not of This Earth

Glad to see I'm not alone. I ran a shop when Valiant and Image broke and was a big fan (of Valiant). I held on to all the pre-Unity stuff, my early runs of X-O, Solar, Magnus, Rai & Harbinger and anything with a low print run or 1st appearance.

The new stuff looks quite interesting, but I've gone full circle with comics and went from running a shop to not even knowing where to find one. I also don't really need another hobby to drain my wallet right now.

In case you haven't heard, there's a Bloodshot movie planned. Here's the deets: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...moritiz-296357
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bizarro View Post
Glad to see I'm not alone. I ran a shop when Valiant and Image broke and was a big fan (of Valiant). I held on to all the pre-Unity stuff, my early runs of X-O, Solar, Magnus, Rai & Harbinger and anything with a low print run or 1st appearance.

The new stuff looks quite interesting, but I've gone full circle with comics and went from running a shop to not even knowing where to find one. I also don't really need another hobby to drain my wallet right now.

In case you haven't heard, there's a Bloodshot movie planned. Here's the deets: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...moritiz-296357
I still remember when the Platinum Spider-Man #1 incentive issues arrived at our warehouse and we were all commenting how great they were and we had a few extras and my boss at the time gave me a few. We would get all the retailer incentives and give to those who qualified but always had extras leftover. Seems like yesterday too when we got in pallets of Magic the Gathering booster boxes for the very first release and I thought it was a game based on magicians and said how it would bomb. LOL! If I only knew then what I know now....
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2012
Wherever I am right now.

I can't comment on the new stuff (unfortunately there aren't any local comic book shops ) but I was and still am a huge fan of the early to mid 90s Valiant. I still have my complete runs of those books and re-read them every few years. I recently got my daughter (11 yrs old) to give 'em a try. So far, she's really diggin' Harbinger. I stopped reading once Acclaim acquired them and the stories went to crap for the most part.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Ahhhh the good ol days. I REALLY loved Valiant back and the day and the original run of Shadowman and Rai #0 remain some of my favorite books to this day.

I have been buying everyone of the new series and for me it boils down to this;
Harbinger is the best of the bunch and I really wasnt a huge fan of Harbinger in the Shooter era, X-0 and Archer & Armstrong are tied for second and really good. Bloodshot is fourth but still better than a lot of comics coming out today. Next up is the Shadowman launch which I have had on my pull list for about 2 months already but the book doesnt come out till November. On top of that we know that there is Rai and Eternal Warrior next year with Ninjak being a logical choice as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Ahhhh the good ol days. I REALLY loved Valiant back and the day and the original run of Shadowman and Rai #0 remain some of my favorite books to this day.

I have been buying everyone of the new series and for me it boils down to this;
Harbinger is the best of the bunch and I really wasnt a huge fan of Harbinger in the Shooter era, X-0 and Archer & Armstrong are tied for second and really good. Bloodshot is fourth but still better than a lot of comics coming out today. Next up is the Shadowman launch which I have had on my pull list for about 2 months already but the book doesnt come out till November. On top of that we know that there is Rai and Eternal Warrior next year with Ninjak being a logical choice as well.
I will give Valiant a lot of credit, they seem to be here to stay, their books are getting more and more popular with fans. Since you have had Shadowman on your pull list, make sure to ask your store to get you the special pullbox variant, not sure what the ratio is but I believe they can order x amount of copies for their box customers.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #11

Jan 2011
Ceres, California

BIG Valiant supporter here I host the Valiantfans.com panel at SDCC this year. I love the new stuff Harbinger is my favorite.

The con exclusive sketch covers are amazing and they are producing some of the best out of the box stories in comics today

-Brian
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsip View Post
BIG Valiant supporter here I host the Valiantfans.com panel at SDCC this year. I love the new stuff Harbinger is my favorite.

The con exclusive sketch covers are amazing and they are producing some of the best out of the box stories in comics today

-Brian
AWWWW HELL! I love you guys, keep up the great work!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
I will give Valiant a lot of credit, they seem to be here to stay, their books are getting more and more popular with fans. Since you have had Shadowman on your pull list, make sure to ask your store to get you the special pullbox variant, not sure what the ratio is but I believe they can order x amount of copies for their box customers.
At first they werent very strict with the pullbox variants but apparently they are going to be starting with Shadowman and that black out variant is gorgeous!

Funny story, went into my LCS yesterday and they only get about 5 copies of X-O a month but for some reason they were slipped a copy of the 1:50 variant and it was on the shelves at cover price, I alerted them to this but they said because I was honest and one of their biggest spenders in the store I could have it for 3.99! I already have it in a bag and board. Good times
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #14

Jan 2011
Ceres, California

Quote:
At first they werent very strict with the pullbox variants but apparently they are going to be starting with Shadowman and that black out variant is gorgeous!

Funny story, went into my LCS yesterday and they only get about 5 copies of X-O a month but for some reason they were slipped a copy of the 1:50 variant and it was on the shelves at cover price, I alerted them to this but they said because I was honest and one of their biggest spenders in the store I could have it for 3.99! I already have it in a bag and board. Good times
There is something fishy about that 1:50 X-O variant. The hard one to find is actually the Character sheet one NOT the Zircher cover

-Brian
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
There is something fishy about that 1:50 X-O variant. The hard one to find is actually the Character sheet one NOT the Zircher cover

-Brian
Yeah, I actually was lurking the forum last night and found that a lot of users saw the same thing I did. I have a feeling the two got mixed at the printer and the CD is actually the 1:50 now
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Yeah, I actually was lurking the forum last night and found that a lot of users saw the same thing I did. I have a feeling the two got mixed at the printer and the CD is actually the 1:50 now
Which issue of X-O are you guys referring to? Also if anyone wants to post a link of what the variant looks like (or is supposed to look like), that would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #17

Jan 2011
Ceres, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
Which issue of X-O are you guys referring to? Also if anyone wants to post a link of what the variant looks like (or is supposed to look like), that would be appreciated.
Yeah the Variant Valiant has confirmed (on there twitter page) is this one X-O Manowar #6 1:50 line wide variant

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1434

The one we all thing that is actually going to be the hard one to find is the Character Design cover here

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1436

-Brian
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Yeah the Variant Valiant has confirmed (on there twitter page) is this one X-O Manowar #6 1:50 line wide variant

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1434

The one we all thing that is actually going to be the hard one to find is the Character Design cover here

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1436

-Brian
Thanks, so can you explain what the printer's goof that others were talking about? The Zircher variant is supposed to be the 1:50 variant, but someone here had mention there was a mistake at the printers?

I really need to put on eBay the old Valiants I have, including an almost complete set of X-O, and also Archer and Armstrong and Bloodshot and possibly Harbinger. I know the older issues of the series, especially X-O were very hard to find due to low print runs from Acclaim.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #19

Jun 2010
Not of This Earth

Great replies... go Valiant, yay!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #20

Jan 2011
Ceres, California

I have heard that VEI will go back to the printers and fill the Character Sheet orders to stores that didn't get them once ordered. So in my opinion none of the Variants from X-O Manowar #6 will be hard to find EVER.

-Brian
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics