Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
12 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Anna 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.45
10 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #41
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breather View Post
I'm shocked this has never had a Region A release. I've got the French disc myself. I think the '33 version is still the best but I find this one the most entertaining to watch, despite its flaws. Call me crazy, but I like it much better than the bloated Jackson version.
It's very likely to get a US release when either Skull Island or Godzilla vs. King Kong comes out (the latter being much farther off).

I like this version better than Jackson's too. However, I think this one falls apart much more in New York than Jackson's. Jackson's is just way too long, and a lot of the stuff on the island is off tonally IMO.
Thanks given by:
Breather (08-14-2016), StingingVelvet (08-13-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #42

Feb 2013
Arg.

There is a new edition of Jackson king kong comming by Universal, taking advantage of Kong Island release. I hope that Paramount (or Warner?) do the same with the 1976 version, aisde that 2016 is his 40th aniversary.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

I really don't understand why this isn't available domestically yet; Kong '76 was one of Paramount's earliest offering's for home video on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD, all of which would seem to indicate it's strong popularity as a catalog title over the decades.

Why still no blu?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #44
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by suelto View Post
There is a new edition of Jackson king kong comming by Universal, taking advantage of Kong Island release. I hope that Paramount (or Warner?) do the same with the 1976 version, aisde that 2016 is his 40th aniversary.
I'm waiting to see if they do before finally importing the French disc.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #45

Oct 2016

I would love if Shout Factory got hold of this. The slip cover alone would be great. This was one of first movies I ever watched so it holds a special place. Plus the score is soooo underrated.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 AM   #46
Banned

Aug 2016

I don't think Shout has a deal with Paramount aside from two titles (The Duelists and Walking Tall I-III) they released in the past, which were probably due to insistence from the directors.

If anything, I expect this to go to Olive being they have an arrangement with Paramount for the Republic Pictures/NTA catalog.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #47
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2013
South Carolina

Ape is getting a US release, if it does good maybe Universal will push the 76 version on blu. Been waiting a lont time for this to get a release.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 AM   #48
Banned

Aug 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. View Post
Ape is getting a US release, if it does good maybe Universal will push the 76 version on blu. Been waiting a lont time for this to get a release.
US distribution rights to KK '76 are owned by Paramount, while StudioCanal (owners of the Dino De Laurentiis company that produced it) holds worldwide rights with Universal co-distributing in some territories (which is why some overseas DVDs and Blus had it bundled with the 2006 remake).
Thanks given by:
L.J. (12-01-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #49

Apr 2014
Finland

I hope this gets a wide release. New movie is coming so there is a change.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #50

Oct 2013

If anyone is in the Santa Monica area, the 1976 King Kong will be screened Saturday night at the Aero:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php...TA-MONICA.html

There will be collectibles on display, and Rick Baker is supposed to be on hand for a panel discussion about the film. I'd love to go, but I'm nowhere near Santa Monica....

Hunter
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #51
Power Member

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
I hope this gets a wide release. New movie is coming so there is a change.
Do yourself a favor, and import the region A French release. It has a retrospective making of that is in English, and 14 minutes of Deleted/Extended scenes, and a audio/video setup software on disc. All you have to do is choose the Australian, which is the Same English mix we've had since release. You choose Australian at the start of the disc, and boom....Now you can watch King Kong 1976. It really is that easy...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKnightStarman View Post
Do yourself a favor, and import the region A French release. It has a retrospective making of that is in English, and 14 minutes of Deleted/Extended scenes, and a audio/video setup software on disc. All you have to do is choose the Australian, which is the Same English mix we've had since release. You choose Australian at the start of the disc, and boom....Now you can watch King Kong 1976. It really is that easy...

You don't need to import it from France specifically, the Universal/Studio Canal disc is the same in every country that it's currently been released in, so just order it from wherever has the cheapest price. It's been discontinued here in Australia, so I decided to purchase it from Japan.
Thanks given by:
eastx (12-09-2016)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #53

Nov 2008
Northern Ireland

I have a feeling that this will get a US remastered extended edition soon. I live in the U.K. And have the French import. It looks great, but there is room for improvement.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 AM   #54
Special Member

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
If anyone is in the Santa Monica area, the 1976 King Kong will be screened Saturday night at the Aero:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php...TA-MONICA.html

There will be collectibles on display, and Rick Baker is supposed to be on hand for a panel discussion about the film. I'd love to go, but I'm nowhere near Santa Monica....

Hunter
I went, it was very cool.

Finally received the French Studio Canal release. For some reason on my Samsung UHD player, the film is out of sync by almost a second, in my Seiki it is fine...

There are a few double image shots, like the one of Bridges at 59:33, I think that may be why there is no US release..

Also, the deleted scenes have pal speedup, I thought they were in NTSC as well?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #55

Nov 2008
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post

Finally received the French Studio Canal release. For some reason on my Samsung UHD player, the film is out of sync by almost a second, in my Seiki it is fine...

There are a few double image shots, like the one of Bridges at 59:33, I think that may be why there is no US release..

The French sync issue is a known fault, it's on mine also. Also, the double image shot, surely that's something that could be fixed during a restore? Not sure about the deleted scenes speed up, I live in UK so I'm PAL anyway.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #56

Oct 2013

Quote:
Nice!

The panel discussion can be found on YouTube:

Quote:
They're NTSC if you choose "Japanese" for the language. All of the other countries are PAL.

Hunter
Thanks given by:
B72 (01-25-2017), hasslein (01-22-2017), rubystone356 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #57

Nov 2010
Miami, FL

Did anyone buy the new German version?

I'm wondering if it's the same Studio Canal version that was available everywhere a few years ago, or if it's a new remaster.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #58
Power Member

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfonse View Post
The French sync issue is a known fault, it's on mine also. Also, the double image shot, surely that's something that could be fixed during a restore? Not sure about the deleted scenes speed up, I live in UK so I'm PAL anyway.
I have watched my French disc quite a few times, and never noticed the audio out of sync. Also where is the double image shot? Is that when Kong falls off the towers? My Oppo has not had any sync issue with this disc. What language on the first menu are you selecting?

Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #59
Special Member

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathunter View Post

They're NTSC if you choose "Japanese" for the language. All of the other countries are PAL.

Hunter
I still get speedup when I choose Japanese , that's why I asked. And forced subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKnightStarman View Post
I have watched my French disc quite a few times, and never noticed the audio out of sync. Also where is the double image shot? Is that when Kong falls off the towers? My Oppo has not had any sync issue with this disc. What language on the first menu are you selecting?

I mentioned the sync because its strange one player is out, one is in, but if its out, it is way out the whole film and very noticeable. I select Australia each time because of forced subtitles on the others... At least on my UHD player, haven't tried the Seiki re subtitles.

I haven't watched the disc all the way through, just remember there were about four? double image shots in the screening, (same transfer I believe) the Bridges shot I mentioned in my post above, his face is really blurry, but his tent rope running diagonally across the shot is the easy way to see it.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #60

Oct 2013

Quote:
I still get speedup when I choose Japanese , that's why I asked. And forced subtitles.
I haven't watched them in a long time. I don't remember noticing any speedup in the NTSC versions. (I'm not disputing that it is, just saying I didn't notice it. I'll have to check it out again soon. I don't even really remember what extras are on it. I tend to not watch extras for most of my Blu-rays.)
Thanks given by:
hasslein (01-22-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists